AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-18, 15:22   Link #1081
Solachinx
is a myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornadium View Post
Well,

To those who put forward the alternate theories for endings...They are pretty cool and creative granted. Sadly the majority will just not happen ( I think at least) and if they do there is going to be a LOT of backlash.

Haruhi has never really been a novel focused on Sacrifice, death and bad endings. If ANY of the main 5 characters die in the ending it will basically guarantee the series will die as a whole. They did it with very successful series in the past and what was originally viewed as a really good series was transformed into some of the most hated series almost overnight.

One thing which won't happen

1. Anyone "Dying" in the ending. This includes Haruhi, Kyon, Yuki, Mikuru and Itsuki. Also no "Haruhi ascending to godhood and disappearing.
That's probably true, but seeing as how this is the series where everything can, might, and will happen, and because there are so many happy endings or endings where Haruhi has a sudden mastery of her powers dispite only knowing about them for all of possibly 3 minutes to a week, that I deecided to make it a downer ending.

Arn't I optimistic XP
Old 2009-09-18, 21:31   Link #1082
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Although, if this Bespectacled Boy does something important in the novels, and is a student at Kyon's school...
Haven't you already read Volume 6 and 7? What, with you commenting on
Spoiler for Volume 7 plot:
...on one of the character discussion threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornadium View Post
Haruhi has never really been a novel focused on Sacrifice, death and bad endings. If ANY of the main 5 characters die in the ending it will basically guarantee the series will die as a whole. They did it with very successful series in the past and what was originally viewed as a really good series was transformed into some of the most hated series almost overnight.
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Watch it.
Old 2009-09-19, 01:06   Link #1083
freakonboard

I think it's somewhat ironic if some members of SOS-dan die at the end, because...

Spoiler for Haruhi's quote in Sigh (translated by Baka-Tsuki):
Old 2009-09-19, 01:23   Link #1084
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Why did you put that in spoiler tags? It already happened in the series.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-09-19, 01:36   Link #1085
freakonboard

Dunno. Maybe for those who are really sensitive and haven't read that translation.
Old 2009-09-19, 03:47   Link #1086
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
Actually, that's a perfect example of what he was talking about. A lot of people were angry because of that ending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakonboard View Post
I think it's somewhat ironic if some members of SOS-dan die at the end, because...

Spoiler for Haruhi's quote in Sigh (translated by Baka-Tsuki):
Yeah, pretty much. I don't see it.
Old 2009-09-19, 04:28   Link #1087
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Tsuruya, Taniguchi, and Kunikida are 'random people' to Kyon?

It's not just how some people completely lack names; it's how even important characters weren't assigned a given name.

Although, if this Bespectacled Boy does something important in the novels, and is a student at Kyon's school...
Have you not picked up on the Law of Names yet? I won't bother spoilering this since it was common knowledge post-S1 even before B-T had the later novels translated.

Specials - Full name, given and family (Haruhi Suzumiya, Ryoko Asakura, Mikuru Asahina, etc.)

Normals - Either family name only (Kunikida, Tsuruya, etc.), descriptive name (Computer Society President, Bespectacled Boy, etc.), or nickname (Kyon).

In the later novels Tanigawa has shaken this up a bit with temporary and/or blatantly fake nicknames, people who change from one group to the other (with name foreshadowing their final grouping), and in at least one case, just not naming them (so far). To this point, however, the Law has yet to be broken outright.
Old 2009-09-19, 07:00   Link #1088
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

^Makes me really wonder if Tanigawa slipped up when he went with the full name of Kyon's mystery date during Editor in Chief... or if she really might play an important role.
Old 2009-09-19, 08:10   Link #1089
freakonboard

^Slider-tan?
Old 2009-09-19, 10:42   Link #1090
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
Haven't you already read Volume 6 and 7? What, with you commenting on
Spoiler for Volume 7 plot:
...on one of the character discussion threads.
I've read sections of some of the more recent novels based upon certain sections getting added attention here on the boards, but not all of them.

Quote:

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Watch it.
I, personally, could live with any of the characters not named 'Kyon' or 'Haruhi' dieing in the end. Actually, I'd find it pretty neat if one of three organization representatives in the SOS Brigade was to go villain at the last moment; it could make for a neat twist.

That being said... Kaisos is right here. The TTGL ending had mixed reviews at best. The main reason being
you-know-what...

Don't get me wrong, TTGL was a great anime (one of my five all-time favorites) but it's ending was a bit iffy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Have you not picked up on the Law of Names yet? I won't bother spoilering this since it was common knowledge post-S1 even before B-T had the later novels translated.

Specials - Full name, given and family (Haruhi Suzumiya, Ryoko Asakura, Mikuru Asahina, etc.)

Normals - Either family name only (Kunikida, Tsuruya, etc.), descriptive name (Computer Society President, Bespectacled Boy, etc.), or nickname (Kyon).

In the later novels Tanigawa has shaken this up a bit with temporary and/or blatantly fake nicknames, people who change from one group to the other (with name foreshadowing their final grouping), and in at least one case, just not naming them (so far). To this point, however, the Law has yet to be broken outright.
Actually, no, I hadn't noticed that.

I generally don't go looking for Easter eggs like this, so thanks for pointing it out.
Old 2009-09-19, 14:23   Link #1091
Sute443
Sasaki-ist

Quote:
Although, if this Bespectacled Boy [...] is a student at Kyon's school...
He isn't. If you've read the stuff leading up to
Spoiler for Vol 7 plot:
then you really should know who he is. Then again, I'm not sure if he was referred to as Bespectacled Boy in the books or if that's a fan-nickname.
Old 2009-09-19, 14:38   Link #1092
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
I, personally, could live with any of the characters not named 'Kyon' or 'Haruhi' dieing in the end. Actually, I'd find it pretty neat if one of three organization representatives in the SOS Brigade was to go villain at the last moment; it could make for a neat twist.
And this is why you need to read the books. They keep driving home the nakama concept more every volume.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, TTGL was a great anime (one of my five all-time favorites) but it's ending was a bit iffy.
No it wasn't.

That's what everyone says, but the ending was perfectly fitting given all the development up until then.
Old 2009-09-19, 14:41   Link #1093
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

TTGL was an awesome 8-episode series. Wish it didn't end the way it did, though.

(Yes, this is a joke.)
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2009-09-19, 14:43   Link #1094
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sute443 View Post
He isn't. If you've read the stuff leading up to
Spoiler for Vol 7 plot:
then you really should know who he is. Then again, I'm not sure if he was referred to as Bespectacled Boy in the books or if that's a fan-nickname.
Pretty sure it's a fan nickname. I think the only "name" Kyon (or was that Haruhi?) has used for him more than once (other than "that boy" or similar) is "Hakase-kun" ("little professor"), but even that's as much a descriptive name as anything, considering how he is described. I think, much like another "adjective noun" fan-named character from the later novels, that he'll eventually get a (somewhat) pemanent name. He is fairly important in his own way.
Old 2009-09-19, 17:47   Link #1095
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
And this is why you need to read the books. They keep driving home the nakama concept more every volume.
... Then why is Koizumi (based on what I've heard of here on Anime Suki) given so little focus and screen time compared to the rest of the SOS Brigade? That's mighty suspicious to me...

Quote:

No it wasn't.

That's what everyone says, but the ending was perfectly fitting given all the development up until then.
Why do you think it was perfectly fitting? To me, part of the ending (the most controversial part) very much contradicted the general upbeat theme of the anime.

The ending didn't bother me as much as it did many people, but looking back on it now, I really think that Simon deserved a happier ending.
Old 2009-09-19, 17:53   Link #1096
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
... Then why is Koizumi (based on what I've heard of here on Anime Suki) given so little focus and screen time compared to the rest of the SOS Brigade? That's mighty suspicious to me...
It's called "cute girls sell more light novels".

Quote:
The ending didn't bother me as much as it did many people, but looking back on it now, I really think that Simon deserved a happier ending.
Heroes don't get happy endings. Heroes give up their happy endings so that everyone else can have a happy ending. That's the point.

And TTGL was not generally upbeat. In fact, it was mostly sad. Inspiring, but sad.
Old 2009-09-19, 17:57   Link #1097
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

I didn't expect Gurren Lagann's ending, but I knew the general reasoning behind why it ended that way. I never considered it a 'bad' ending, though.

...We're talking about why Haruhi won't have a bad ending, right? lol I kinda lost track...anyway, I think it's possible but I don't think the tenth novel will end it. Just seems like there's so much more that needs to be done. I'm not sure what exactly, though.

Heminga13: Speculating and anticipating 'The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya' movie since August 3, 2009.
Old 2009-09-19, 18:01   Link #1098
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
It's called "cute girls sell more light novels".
On the cover, yes.

In the actual content, where visuals obviously are less important? I don't buy it. There's a content-based reason why Itsuki isn't getting more screen time...

It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Itsuki do a heel turn. He came across very suspicious to me in the last Sighs episode...

Quote:
Heroes don't get happy endings.
... I've seen quite a lot of fiction that contradicts that.
This is hardly an universal rule, Kaisos.

Quote:
Heroes give up their happy endings so that everyone else can have a happy ending. That's the point.
No, that's not the point, imo.

The point of TTGL is that with enough effort and application of free will you can overcome any obstacle. This is the point, Kaisos, that the anime clearly kept going back to time and time again.

Spoiler for TTGL:

Quote:

And TTGL was not generally upbeat. In fact, it was mostly sad. Inspiring, but sad.
TTGL was extremely upbeat. It's popularity is based, to large degree, on how upbeat it is. It's main characters are all relentlessly upbeat. It's a glass half-full anime if ever there was one.
Old 2009-09-19, 18:08   Link #1099
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Okay, enough talk of TTGL. This debate has gone on before, and it serves no purpose here.
Old 2009-09-19, 18:14   Link #1100
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
On the cover, yes.

In the actual content, where visuals obviously are less important? I don't buy it. There's a content-based reason why Itsuki isn't getting more screen time...

It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Itsuki do a heel turn. He came across very suspicious to me in the last Sighs episode...
Most of the material in Sigh(s) is never elaborated up on again. I honestly think Tanigawa wanted to divorce the book.

Itsuki isn't getting more "screen" time because a) No one in Japan who buys these books wants to read about a guy, b) He's the Mysterious Transfer Student, emphasis on "Mysterious", and c) Read Vols. 7-9, there are actual antagonists introduced.

Koizumi won't be betraying anyone anytime soon.

Quote:
TTGL was extremely upbeat. It's popularity is based, to large degree, on how upbeat it is. It's main characters are all relentlessly upbeat. It's a glass half-full anime if ever there was one.
No. It really isn't. It's idealistic, but not upbeat. That's a very different thing.

Even from the beginning, it was not upbeat. It pretended to be, but it really wasn't.

And if you're saying Simon should have
Spoiler for bleh:
then you're missing the point of what a lot of the final conflict was about.
Closed Thread