AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2013-01-13, 05:45   Link #31641
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Which one should we consider Rokken-Prime anyway?
If its ep 1 its pretty easy to solve lol

If its a not shown world consisting out of all the reds then a bit harder, not impossible though.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 07:41   Link #31642
Drifloon

There's something I've been wondering about lately, which probably has no answer but I think warrants some discussion at least; how many people here actually believe that a multiverse exists in Umineko? Leaving out the meta-world for the time being, I'm just talking about the idea of 'Fragments'/parallel universes existing in Umineko, in the same way as Higurashi.

I think that most of us would probably say that the idea of Fragments is part of the magical layer, and is a metaphor for the various interpretations and possibilities inside the cat box of the single Rokkenjima incident; in other words, that there is only one reality. Well, obviously. This is where the whole notion of 'Prime' comes from, after all. And it makes a lot of sense; we're initially led to believe that each episode takes place in a different Fragment, but we then learn in Episode 6 that each episode in fact corresponds to a fictional message bottle story written about the incident.

But what do we actually take as 'Prime'? We would say "the 1998 narrative", but there seem to be at least three different versions of that. This is actually something KNM mentions in his videos, and though his explanation for it is even more incomprehensible than the rest of his videos, I think he is right that it's something that seems to get conveniently ignored a lot of the time.

Basically we have three versions of the 1998 narrative:
--Episode 4's, starting with Ange jumping off the skyscraper and culminating in her death on Rokkenjima.
--Episode 6's, which seems to be identical to Episode 4's but with the difference that Ange was able to meet "Hachijo Tohya" (or rather, Ikuko).
--Episode 8's, where Ange doesn't jump off the skyscraper and eventually meets Tohya and Ikuko.

So we have a case where, just as Chiru thoroughly debunks the notion of parallel universes in 1986, it seems to introduce parallel universes into 1998 at the same time, which is pretty bizarre. What is interesting is that even though we would generally assert that there is only one single reality, we tend to take information from all three of these incompatible timelines as being from the 'real world', even referring to each of them as "Prime" at times.

For example, we would probably say that all of the following scenes contain reliable information about Prime:
-Ange's conversation with Nanjo's son in Episode 4, where he talks about the money he mysteriously received after the incident.
-Ange's conversation with "Hachijo Tohya" in Episode 6, where she talks about writing the Forgeries entitled Banquet, Alliance, End and Dawn.
-Ange's meeting with Tohya and Ikuko where she learns that Tohya is Battler and that the two of them wrote the stories together.

How exactly do we do this without rejecting the claim that there is even a single true reality to begin with?

Now, it is completely possible to dismiss two of these three timelines as fictional, which would give us a single reality. But then we run into more problems. For example, if we say that EP8's timeline is the truth (which we would have to in order to believe in the existence of Tohya-Battler at all), then we could say that EP4 and EP6's timelines are part of the "Alliance" and "Dawn" Forgeries. This does make sense to a point, until one asks the question: 'Where is our belief that the "Alliance" and "Dawn" Forgeries even exist actually coming from?' Because the passages that confirm their existence are entirely within EP6's 1998 narrative, which has been relegated to part of the "Dawn" Forgery. So the only reason to believe that the Forgeries correspond to the episodes is inside one of the Forgeries themselves, one that we have no way of knowing exists besides evidence that is contained inside itself. So we end up with a paradox where we say that "Dawn" exists because "Dawn" says so!

This is all basically a meaningless thought exercise, of course, but I'm still curious as to what other people think about this.
Drifloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 10:56   Link #31643
jjblue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifloon View Post
There's something I've been wondering about lately, which probably has no answer but I think warrants some discussion at least; how many people here actually believe that a multiverse exists in Umineko? Leaving out the meta-world for the time being, I'm just talking about the idea of 'Fragments'/parallel universes existing in Umineko, in the same way as Higurashi.

I think that most of us would probably say that the idea of Fragments is part of the magical layer, and is a metaphor for the various interpretations and possibilities inside the cat box of the single Rokkenjima incident; in other words, that there is only one reality. Well, obviously. This is where the whole notion of 'Prime' comes from, after all. And it makes a lot of sense; we're initially led to believe that each episode takes place in a different Fragment, but we then learn in Episode 6 that each episode in fact corresponds to a fictional message bottle story written about the incident.

But what do we actually take as 'Prime'? We would say "the 1998 narrative", but there seem to be at least three different versions of that. This is actually something KNM mentions in his videos, and though his explanation for it is even more incomprehensible than the rest of his videos, I think he is right that it's something that seems to get conveniently ignored a lot of the time.

Basically we have three versions of the 1998 narrative:
--Episode 4's, starting with Ange jumping off the skyscraper and culminating in her death on Rokkenjima.
--Episode 6's, which seems to be identical to Episode 4's but with the difference that Ange was able to meet "Hachijo Tohya" (or rather, Ikuko).
--Episode 8's, where Ange doesn't jump off the skyscraper and eventually meets Tohya and Ikuko.

So we have a case where, just as Chiru thoroughly debunks the notion of parallel universes in 1986, it seems to introduce parallel universes into 1998 at the same time, which is pretty bizarre. What is interesting is that even though we would generally assert that there is only one single reality, we tend to take information from all three of these incompatible timelines as being from the 'real world', even referring to each of them as "Prime" at times.

For example, we would probably say that all of the following scenes contain reliable information about Prime:
-Ange's conversation with Nanjo's son in Episode 4, where he talks about the money he mysteriously received after the incident.
-Ange's conversation with "Hachijo Tohya" in Episode 6, where she talks about writing the Forgeries entitled Banquet, Alliance, End and Dawn.
-Ange's meeting with Tohya and Ikuko where she learns that Tohya is Battler and that the two of them wrote the stories together.

How exactly do we do this without rejecting the claim that there is even a single true reality to begin with?

Now, it is completely possible to dismiss two of these three timelines as fictional, which would give us a single reality. But then we run into more problems. For example, if we say that EP8's timeline is the truth (which we would have to in order to believe in the existence of Tohya-Battler at all), then we could say that EP4 and EP6's timelines are part of the "Alliance" and "Dawn" Forgeries. This does make sense to a point, until one asks the question: 'Where is our belief that the "Alliance" and "Dawn" Forgeries even exist actually coming from?' Because the passages that confirm their existence are entirely within EP6's 1998 narrative, which has been relegated to part of the "Dawn" Forgery. So the only reason to believe that the Forgeries correspond to the episodes is inside one of the Forgeries themselves, one that we have no way of knowing exists besides evidence that is contained inside itself. So we end up with a paradox where we say that "Dawn" exists because "Dawn" says so!

This is all basically a meaningless thought exercise, of course, but I'm still curious as to what other people think about this.
As far as I'm involved Prime is the universe in which officially, only Eva survived, Ange was entrusted to her but, after Eva's death she disappeared and the public knows there's a writer that write popular forgeries about the Rokkenjima incident, Itouikukuro, as well as a writer called Hachijo Tohya.

Ange's destiny and Hachijo Tohya and Itouikukuro's real identities are in a different cat box from the one of the mystery of Rokkenjima but are in a cat box as well... which allows Ange to have more than one ending.

In short the true Prime is only what is publically known. Ange's history that didn't make in the newspapers can be true (Ange might have become Kotobuki Yukari for all we know) but might also be a 'forgery', people's speculation or wishful thinking (if Tohya is Battler) as I've no idea if people write forgeries about the Last Ushiromiya who misteriously disappeared.

Mind you, that's what I call/consider Prime as it seems that's the post Rokkenjima universe the novel wants us to focus on.

In itself nothing stops Lion's world or Ep 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 to be real... although apparently Umineko could care less about what happened after them.
jjblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 12:22   Link #31644
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

I don't think we ever saw "Prime." Possibly not even in ep8. The absolute closest thing to it might be the stuff with Ange and the Hachijous reuniting, but... is it? I'm not convinced.

Plus I think it makes more sense with Ryukishi's purposes that Prime never be revealed.

At any rate, I am almost 100% certain he has never shown us "October 4-5 1986 Prime"

EDIT: Also we know the story doesn't end in 1998. So speculation on "What did Ange do in 1998?" could spin a catbox of its own...
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 12:36   Link #31645
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Now, it is completely possible to dismiss two of these three timelines as fictional, which would give us a single reality. But then we run into more problems.
I agree with jiblue1 on this, Ushiromiya Ange's catbox exists separately from Beatrice's catbox, though Beatrice's is technically at least partly inside Ange's.
The emergence of Kotobuki Yukari at the end of the narrative does not necessarily answer what became of Ushiromiya Ange after 1998. It could very well be just another narrative that is spun around a famous author who somehow uses imagery that might have been connected to the Rokkenjima incident in 1986 (in case Sakutaro was ever publicly known to have been created by Rosa). Even if Kotobuki Yukari is actually Ushiromiya Ange like it is presented to us, she could be the Ange who survived the attack on her on Rokkenjima in 1998 and changed her identity or the Ushiromiya Ange who sold her company to Okonogi in exchange for another identity. The only thing we know is that Ushiromiya Ange died in 1998, just like Ushiromiya Battler died in 1986. Ange could have just as well actually killed Amakusa on Rokkenjima. After rereading the scene with the imaginary Eva again (considering how it is hinted in the Angel of 17 years TIP that it is him who uses "Cool" as a phrase) it seems pretty logical if that was actually Amakusa.

Thus Ange's fate is as much in a catbox from our perspective as the events on Rokkenjima. We would have to make theories about it as much as we have to do about Rokkenjima, only that the possibilities are less open from what the narrative gives us.

Still I would say that it isn't necessarily a question if parallel worlds exist or not. I think it's both and it is highly dependent on each other, but the final answer can only be given by yourself. In the theoretical space of Rokkenjima, within the catbox, worlds with and without magic existed parallely, only when the catbox is opened do all other options crumble. But who opens the catbox? From a story-telling perspective this should be taken back to earlier works by Ryukishi written on the same topic, in this case this would be Higurashi's Saikoroshi-hen.

Spoiler for Saikoroshi-hen:

A similar point is brought up in Umineko. Ange despairs because she does not have access to an absolute truth, that what is called the Red Truth in the meta-narrative. She demands, like Erika, an absolute guarantee of something being right, or else it could just as well be wrong. She demands a perfection that humans just cannot reach.
haguruma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 13:51   Link #31646
Drifloon

I see, those are some very interesting perspectives. Never really heard any of these ideas before. I'd kind of thought the 'cat box' metaphor was only to be applied to the 1986 incident, but it seems that it actually applies to 1998 and beyond as well. A truly enigmatic story.
Drifloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 14:50   Link #31647
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
I see, those are some very interesting perspectives. Never really heard any of these ideas before. I'd kind of thought the 'cat box' metaphor was only to be applied to the 1986 incident, but it seems that it actually applies to 1998 and beyond as well. A truly enigmatic story.
Of course the question then becomes, how much of the 1998 stuff are we to take as "reliable information" about 1998 itself?

As an example, the stories of Dr. Nanjo and Kumasawa's sons. They both more or less verify the "strange keys sent by a weird mailing method that open bank boxes packed with unidentified cash" story. But they're contained within a 1998 story in which Ange jumps off a building, survives, goes on the run from Kasumi, doesn't visit Hachijou Tohya, and does visit Rokkenjima. We know those details about Ange's actions are subject to variation (in ep6, she does visit "Tohya," and in ep8, she basically does something completely different).

So what about the money boxes? It's an odd detail to add because it doesn't actually influence Ange's story in any significant way. Does that mean it's "true information" about the Prime world that happens to be included in a story, in much the same way that Ange not being present in 1986 is "true information" that happens to be included in most Rokkenjima Forgeries?

Ultimately, I don't know that we know, but we sort of assume it (much like the fact that the message bottles themselves were published and that the Witch Hunters exist). Future information would provide some confirmation. For example, "1998 Prime" probably would be able to tell us stuff like, did Amakusa and Captain Kawabata die? If Kawabata's still alive and never remembers taking Ange to Rokkenjima, then either she never went or he took her, survived, and started lying about it. If Kawabata is dead, how did he die and how would people know it? Likewise the building jump story. Did Ange actually jump off a building at any point? If she didn't, where did that tale get started? There was an implication that it was publicized, but was it? In Prime we could look up newspaper archives, so that would be well-known in the future.

Old 2013-01-13, 16:21   Link #31648
jjblue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Of course the question then becomes, how much of the 1998 stuff are we to take as "reliable information" about 1998 itself?

As an example, the stories of Dr. Nanjo and Kumasawa's sons. They both more or less verify the "strange keys sent by a weird mailing method that open bank boxes packed with unidentified cash" story. But they're contained within a 1998 story in which Ange jumps off a building, survives, goes on the run from Kasumi, doesn't visit Hachijou Tohya, and does visit Rokkenjima. We know those details about Ange's actions are subject to variation (in ep6, she does visit "Tohya," and in ep8, she basically does something completely different).

So what about the money boxes? It's an odd detail to add because it doesn't actually influence Ange's story in any significant way. Does that mean it's "true information" about the Prime world that happens to be included in a story, in much the same way that Ange not being present in 1986 is "true information" that happens to be included in most Rokkenjima Forgeries?

Ultimately, I don't know that we know, but we sort of assume it (much like the fact that the message bottles themselves were published and that the Witch Hunters exist). Future information would provide some confirmation. For example, "1998 Prime" probably would be able to tell us stuff like, did Amakusa and Captain Kawabata die? If Kawabata's still alive and never remembers taking Ange to Rokkenjima, then either she never went or he took her, survived, and started lying about it. If Kawabata is dead, how did he die and how would people know it? Likewise the building jump story. Did Ange actually jump off a building at any point? If she didn't, where did that tale get started? There was an implication that it was publicized, but was it? In Prime we could look up newspaper archives, so that would be well-known in the future.
Technically it's hard to say which information is true and which is not.

The info about the keys must be true for all the gameboards and is confirmed by Our Confession as well. Is it true for Prime? if it's true Yasu really paid people and comes to wonder why?
Was it for the murder game or for a mere mystery game? If it was for an innocent mystery game then why send the money in such way when she could have handed the keys personally... unless she planned to disappear anyway?
But then she could have sent the money after disappearing, there was no need to send it earlier unless she wanted to fake her death (which could be the mysterious thing that would have happened has Battler not returned).

In short, if people were paid, Yasu was probably up to something.

But can we prove that the keys were really sent?

Not really, actually likely this info for the people of Prime is in a catbox of which they don't even know the existence.

The bank is probably not spreading the info and maybe it doesn't even know the connection between the money and Rokkenjima.

The people involved aren't talking. Apparently they would talk about it with Ange but only Ange and Amakusa can confirm this and they disappeared.

Likely this info is not in the messages in the bottle or the police might have controlled if this really happened, it would become of public domain and Ange wouldn't need to go to someone to discover it.

So the only ones who can be aware of the keys existence (if the keys existed) are the people who received them, Ange (if she really went to talk with them) and Tohya (if Battler learnt about it by Yasu).

Now... assuming the future of Ange is a speculation either done by Ange as she wonders about her future or by Tohya as he wonders about what happened to Ange, they both can add the existence of the keys to their tale about Ange's fate while ordinary people could, at best, merely add the part of Ange visiting certain people (as this info could have been discovered).

So, my guess is that the tales of Ange's adventures are 'written' by either Ange or Tohya. As Ange doesn't seem to have solved the tales, she would add the detail of the key only if it were true.
Tohya, on the other side, of course can write a story in which he pictures Ange discovering about the keys but could also be tempted to mix a fantasy with the truth... however... which would be the point of picturing an immaginary story of Ange in which Ange has no chance to do a certain thing?

I like to think that if there's Tohya behind Ange's tales it's because he was trying to picture what happened to his sister and not because he wanted to give us extra hints about the mystery of Rokkenjima.

So, for me, the keys really existed even though I seriously doubt that, apart from the people directly involved, someone knows about their existence.

What instead is interesting is what has to be of public domain to make the stories 'possible'.

Not only we've to assume that Ange disappeared (the jumping off a building and surviving it's probably not of public domain as even the tale make a point of saying that's not possible so it's likely a fantasy, a fear, a gossip or a metaphor to represent a change in Ange) but that, after Ange disappeared Amakusa had to disappear as well (being Amakusa an unknown guy this shouldn't cause problems) but also Kuwabata and, what's most important, Ange's aunt (with all her bodyguards).

Of course it's possible that while Ange became Kotobuki Yukari, Ange's aunt was killed by Okonogi's men without even involving Ange. Kuwabata might have ended up being involved or he could have felt sick while out with his ship and fallen on the sea where he died and his body was never recovered.

Probably only a small number of people in Prime would realize Kuwabata died and maybe no one would realize Amakusa died/disappeared... however Kasumi, being someone important

Still, to Ange's story in Ep 4 possible we need to have Kasumi disappearing/dying and there's no real confirmation of this so... well, I don't know. I like to think Sumadera Kasumi really disappeared but we know that the forgeries themselves didn't bother with 'sticking with prime' as Eva survives in EP 3 but not in Ep 4.

So maybe we aren't really supposed to know much about Prime, only what's useful to solve the gameboards. This however reduces Prime to some sort of subplot that exists only to give some minor info (that could have been inserted in other ways) and to deal with how hurtful is speculating on a tragedy and how everyone reacts differently to a tragedy (Ange chosing her own truth).

Considering however that Ange might not even be Prime Ange but only Piece Ange (and Ange often defines herself as a Piece in the witches and in Battler's game) the point is weak.
Real Prime Ange might have been a bullied kid who had fallen in love with Amakusa and transferred to USA without showing any interest in discovering the truth.

And while from one side it's interesting Umineko allows this kind of speculations again I wish for something 'more concrete' to work with.

However Ryukishi seemed to imply that the real 'ending' is the fantasy one so I guess that is what, according to him, appened to Ange. Or not?

Anyone has a better idea?
Old 2013-01-13, 20:10   Link #31649
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Well... It is very unlikely for someone to jump from a 5 (or what was it again?) story building and not even being injured.

I guess the "magic ending" shows a very plausible outcome of that scene. If that was fake too, then... we would only have the "public known premise" and some "bits of the conclusion" and "there was an accident/a bomb". This few information would not be nearly enough to find "the truth", or it would even be as good as impossible to reach.

If the Epilogue shows the "prime" world, then we at least have a solid conclusion that we can BASE our theories on.
Old 2013-01-14, 05:14   Link #31650
Wanderer
Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
Not sure what you mean here. If you meant that I'm contradicting myself:
Not necessarily, you wouldn't misidentify Kinzo for someone else here or the other way around.
Well, apparently his corpse is unrecognizable enough that people could plausibly claim that it may not be him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
Umineko has, as Bern hinted, a lot of wordplays so Battler could have either lied or, as absurd as it might sound, really seen Kinzo. Since we already know that he is long gone the only valid way would be having seen his corpse.
Thinking a dead Kinzo is an alive Kinzo is very likely the loophole of this red, just as the loophole of Natsuhi's red is that Shanon could have told anyone just because she felt like it.

So a dead Kinzo moving around, by whatever means, is pretty much the loophole of the red about him.
Honestly, I'm not sure that this theory of yours is worth my time, but let me explain why I reject it:
  • Why would Yasu, or whoever, even do that?
  • If Battler thought he saw a live Kinzo, why didn't he mention it? A live sighting of him would be extremely relevant later on when they were in his study.
  • If Battler thought his vision of Kinzo was of a live Kinzo, how can he know where Kinzo's corpse is? He doesn't even think he's dead!
  • Even if Battler did know or learn that Kinzo was dead, still how does Battler know where the corpse is?
  • Apparently his corpse is unrecognizable enough that people could plausibly claim that it's not him.
  • Corpses are heavy. Dragging it out into the rain would not be easy. Puppeteering it would be even harder. And puppeteering it in such a way as to not personally be seen would be yet harder.
  • How come Erika never saw Kinzo, only Battler? How can the puppeteer count on this?
  • How come Battler didn't chase after his grandfather? How can the puppeteer count on this?
  • How come Battler ignored Erika asking for where Kinzo was when he saw him? How can the puppeteer count on this?
  • Why does the puppeteer think that puppeteering a year-old corpse is the best way to make an appearance of Kinzo, instead of simply disguising themselves as him?
  • Grandfather doesn't exist. It was impossible for me to witness him!
The list goes on and on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomAvatarFan View Post
Why did Erika put duct tape on three rooms? Because she wanted to trap Battler in a logic error?

Heck... look how BATTLER handled Ep6. Why did Shkanon switch places with Battler on the gameboard... because... he (the game master) was... trapped in a logic error?
Forget the duct tape shenanigans, Erika murdered 5 people for that logic error!

Also, something else LyricalAura pointed out to KnownNoMore a while back (since KnM seemed to think that EP6 should be completely explainable, even in terms of motives): Where did the tools for the bathroom trap come from? They must have been inside the guest room when Erika sealed it, but why would they be?

Quote:
I just finished watching anime Banquet, and... EVA never confirms *anyones* death in red, except Nanjo's. She just goes on to confirm the location of the survivors. Beato did confirm 1st Twilight and 2nd twilight, but twilights 4-8 were never confirmed. I was kind of dissapointed, because Battler could have came up with a Natsuhi Culprit Theory just with that.
IIRC, in the anime, instead of listing 15 people by name as dead, she simply said "everyone else is dead". I imagine it was to save time.

Quote:
There's no reason to believe that the meta is part of the Forgeries in my mind. I think the "Reader Theory" angle accounts for it better. Basically, there are two forgeries called End and Dawn, but we didn't get to read most of them. Instead, we read part of End up to about the Second Twilight and Dawn right up to the point where Erika discovers the letter outside the guesthouse. And we may or may not have gotten unfiltered versions of those narratives even so (honestly, I would suspect all the episodes make small alterations to the Forgeries as they were written in-universe).

I think it's possible to believe in an orthodox version of Dawn. Just remove all the meta-commentary and it basically works like it's presented:
  • Erika shows up and makes an annoyance of herself.
  • The four mothers, Maria, and Battler are "killed" in closed rooms.
  • Erika begins to investigate, first by separating the survivors into rooms at the guesthouse.
  • Erika discovers a letter informing her that Battler's body has disappeared.
The Forgery would then probably continue from there. Or perhaps it doesn't, and the draft of Dawn never gets that far before Touya and Ikuko start debating and discussing it, argue the "Logic Error" as a problem with the narrative, and shelve it. Or perhaps it was just to prove a point.

The point is a meta-narrative isn't a necessary component of the board narrative itself, even in "interrupted" narratives like ep5-6. Now, when you look at Requiem and Twilight, that might change somewhat. However, we know from ep6 that works called End and Dawn exist in some fashion, even if just in "Hachijou Tohya"'s collection of works (i.e. it's a Forgery the Hachijous were working on but never finished if it wasn't publicly released).
In EP6, Ange says, about Itouikuko Reigonamu: "In her latest forgery, 'End', she killed off seven of my relatives, at least during the actual story." Which more or less confirms what you are saying. However, about Dawn, in the credits of EP6 it says Natsuhi, Rosa, Eva, Maria, Kyrie, and Battler died in the first twilight, Kanon died in the second, and the others were all alive at the time of the game's suspension.

Kanon being listed as dead pretty much takes us past the discovery of the letter... somehow. I really wish we could see the story from the "public" perspective.

Quote:
Battler's intention appears to have been that he placed the letter. However, in the Logic Error reconstruction that isn't possible because Battler can't leave the room until Erika enters it, which is after she finds the letter.

Since the only other person who leaves is Kanon, I guess it has to have been Kanon. Honestly some part of me has always wondered if that wasn't a Logic Error unto itself.
Nah. Logic errors are never about implausible motives or bad writing, only things that are 100% impossible. The letter was meant to have been left by Battler in the first place anyway, so we know that the person to do it would have just been whoever is most convenient to the game master. And once we realize that, it doesn't matter who did it, as long as it's possible.

Quote:
To be fair, the meta-world's mechanics have never, ever been at all consistent between episodes. I've never really liked how people jump on that one inconsistency as evidence for Genius Battler theory.

Though I've talked about this before and I know most people here are pretty convinced of that theory, I don't think I'll ever really buy it. Battler just messing up seems much more in-character considering his portrayal up until that point, as far as I'm concerned.
I support Genius Battler, and not for that reason at all (I actually find that reason just as bogus as you do). Just remember that BATTLER's viewpoint in EP6 had to be made unreliable because he had learned the truth (Featherine said so). What else could BATTLER's unreliable viewpoint be hiding from us, if not that he's actually Genius Batter?

And while I understand your point that it's in Battler's character to be incompetent, he was anything but at the end of EP5. It's not implausible at all to suppose he stayed that way through EP6.

Quote:
You see, when I read EP7, I thought that Dawn was the tale BATTLER buried Beato with, but with EP8, I started thinking that Dawn and that book are different.
At first I thought it was Requiem itself, but someone told me that in the manga the book placed in the coffin is labeled Dawn.

Although my theory on both the Umineko anime and the manga is that Ryukishi let their artists and scriptwriters do them according to their own interpretation, at least to a certain extent. It'd be kind of like practicing Reader Theory in the real world.

...In fact, I'd have a hard time imagining that Ryukishi didn't do it that way. Umineko is about the very concept of presenting interpretations, is it not?

------------------------------------

I have some comments to add to the discussion regarding the alternate 1998 timelines and such, but I'm tired right now. I will add them later, probably.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 09:58   Link #31651
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Nah. Logic errors are never about implausible motives or bad writing, only things that are 100% impossible. The letter was meant to have been left by Battler in the first place anyway, so we know that the person to do it would have just been whoever is most convenient to the game master. And once we realize that, it doesn't matter who did it, as long as it's possible.
The question is more, who has the letter? Is Battler the only person who could have it at that point, or could it nebulously be in the hands of anyone in on things? Could it have been left ahead of time? That sort of thing.

If the letter can only be placed by Battler, that's a problem. Erika never went into the logistics of where the letter came from though, at least in the sense of "who had it in their possession last." Battler can get around that by just saying the letter was not on his person, but his intent appears to have been that it was. That's a relatively easy detail to retroactively change, but it makes me wonder.
Quote:
I support Genius Battler, and not for that reason at all (I actually find that reason just as bogus as you do). Just remember that BATTLER's viewpoint in EP6 had to be made unreliable because he had learned the truth (Featherine said so). What else could BATTLER's unreliable viewpoint be hiding from us, if not that he's actually Genius Batter?

And while I understand your point that it's in Battler's character to be incompetent, he was anything but at the end of EP5. It's not implausible at all to suppose he stayed that way through EP6.
There's also his ep8 game in which Battler claims that he loses strategically in order to win in the end, which in my mind all but confirms it because:
  • In BATTLER's game people are nearly interchangeable with their meta-selves, and Battler especially speaks as BATTLER multiple times; and
  • It's very explicitly BATTLER's game alone and he does a lot of things that are for his own benefit and satisfaction, even as he does things for Ange; and
  • Battler's behavior in ep8 betrays a fair degree of subtlety, something he always had to some extent but usually didn't lean on.
So we have a BATTLER creating a game who is known to be capable of being subtle, sometimes has characters speak for their meta-selves and not their game selves, and makes a comment about losing on purpose and not always bluffing when he appears to be bluffing. I don't really see much point for him saying that unless it actually is meant to be taken as a hint to something else, plus it seems like that's one of his operating strategies at times in Twilight too.

Alternately it's all in Ange's head and she happens to believe in Genius Battler also. And Ange is never wrong, except all the times where she is.

Old 2013-01-14, 10:11   Link #31652
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Well i just remembered something: The last scene we see of End's Rokkenjima is Battler saying "it is useless... it's all useless". The funny thing is, if I remember correctly, that he says this at the end of the regular Episode, but before the first tea party. Then the narrative goes on in the "cathedral", without anyone mentioning about what happened on the Rokkenjima side after that.

So could we say that the "court of illusions" was just a metaphor for what was happening in the parlor at the same time? Because then the story would continue by Natsuhi's innocence to be proven and then... well i guess they all die, right? It could go like this:

Erika shows evidence of Natsuhi's guilt
"Shanon" goes off somewhere to commit suicide
Battler remembers promise to "Shanon" (or remembers it earlier but only now is ready to talk about it) and redeems Natsuhi
It is too late to stop the bomb, because "Shanon" is dead already and Genji doesn't say a word about it
Bomb explodes and everyone dies (except Eva and/or Battler who could accidently be going through the tunnels at that time)

This is of course only EP5's Rokkenjima and is NOT supposed to be an attempt at speculating about RokkenjimaPrime
Old 2013-01-14, 15:41   Link #31653
tantei okuoku
Mystery Otaku

I just finished episode 7 and was very repeatedly told to post my theory on here (no spoilers from episode 8, hane, or tsubasa please).

My theory is that kyrie is the mastermind behind everything. Asumu switched her baby with her stillborn baby. that set up her motive for killing the family that got catalyzed by yasu/Shannon actions. Shannon said that if it was one year or before or after then it wouldn't have been as much. this is because she chose that year to select the next head in the same way she was chosen. that is why no one died in the first game or for most of the second game. the second game rosa acted as a accomplice, while the third game had eva acted as a accomplice. the fourth game was kyrie and Jessica

The first game did not have anyone solve the epitaph so their was no crime but it was maria and Hideyoshi who served as accomplices

When should I read our confession, tsubasa, and hane?

Last edited by tantei okuoku; 2013-01-14 at 17:06.
tantei okuoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 17:07   Link #31654
Kealym

Ugh, there's been so much discussion lately I can't even possibly respond to everything I'd wanted to, so I'll just hop in on a recent topic.

Regarding Prime, and fragments and multiverses ... well, I think they "exist", personally... but Umineko is almost certainly concerned with the events of a single one of those worlds - one where Rokkenjima went boom, and Ange grew up in the care of Eva, the only survivor.

Regarding the letter in EP6, well ... um, well, it depends on when, exactly, Erika committed all that murder, right? Battler certainly couldn't have placed it, even if that was his original plan... actually, to be honest, I think the murders were something Bern and Erika kept as their "Plan B" for capturing Battler, since they seemed pretty genuinely surprised when Battler successfully removed his corpse from the room in the first place.

Or, well ... if we already have Kanon hopping out of 2nd story windows to randomly trade places with dead people, we can certainly say he dropped the letter off on his way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantei okuoku View Post
I just finished episode 7 and was very repeatedly told to post my theory on here (no spoilers from episode 8, hane, or tsubasa please).
By "here", you mean this board, or this thread, specifically? Because this thread is pretty much where every spoiler ever can be thrown into the dicussion.

You may want to post in the Episode 7 topic to discuss instead, so you don't accidentally read something you don't want to. Also, you should totes read Ep 8.
About Tsubasa and Hane, well, my understanding is that they are a compilation of various Extra TIPS, right? You could read them more or less whenever you want, though of course they'll refer to the story as per when they were written - "Game Master Battler", for example, obviously takes place right after the events of End.

Hm, I would save Our Confessions for after you've finished EP8, and had a little bit of time to gather your thoughts on it.
Kealym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 17:23   Link #31655
jjblue1

Quote:
Forget the duct tape shenanigans, Erika murdered 5 people for that logic error!
Exactly. And the only 2 reasons she has to do it are that she's mad and ergo thought that really that was the only way to make sure they wouldn't be the killer or that she came to Rokkenjima with the plan to kill people all along.

LOL, she could be the mysterious Sumadera killer.
They actually wanted the Ushiromiya's money so they gave Ange something to make her look like she was sick and therefore couldn't travel then killed all the Ushiromiya so that Ange would inherit and they could control Ange.

Eva's survival put a loophole in their plan but Eva didn't have the guts to tell Ange her mom's family planned to off her so she just stole Ange from the Sumadera and put her under tight security.

Anyway she couldn't tell the police as she had no proofs and was afraid if she were to try to put the Sumadera in a corner they would send more killers.

Oh, by the way, Erika was in truth Amakusa's older sister. Amakusa was planning to discover what happened to her so he tried working for Eva but then got fond of Ange because somehow she reminded him of Erika.

And that's the truth of Prime.

Oh, about the bomb? Erika somehow escaped from Eva and hid in the house. To get rid of her as she believed Erika had already killed everyone Eva used extreme measures as typical of some horror and action movies to make sure Erika would be dead...

Quote:
Also, something else LyricalAura pointed out to KnownNoMore a while back (since KnM seemed to think that EP6 should be completely explainable, even in terms of motives): Where did the tools for the bathroom trap come from? They must have been inside the guest room when Erika sealed it, but why would they be?
The whole problem with Ep 6 is that it's filled with unexplained stuffs that theoretically could make sense had the plot advanced but, since it doesn't really advance... well, they feel really random.

Quote:
Well, we can't say for sure. Maybe it was meant to be left by someone else... let's say Kanon. After all if Kanon could leave the room to reach Battler's he could also place the letter. That's speculation though. With the little we know about Ep 6 and considering not even Erika is reliable as she's the murderer comes to wonder if it wasn't piece Erika who faked finding a letter she left there.

Quote:

I wonder if we really need genius Battler.
PieceBattler could be acting according to a plan prepared by Shannon, as everyone else moved in the other episodes according to Yasu's plans, and this would explain why Kanon left the room. Because Yasu was following her own agenda.

As Meta Battler knows the trick behind ShKanon he merely created a story in which that trick was the real one used, although on the surface apparently he was supposed to use another, then let Erika unravel the 'surface trick' and refused to use the real one.

It's like saying I know another trick to put a candy in an upturned cup that's different by the obvious solution but I won't let you know which is, so when you tell me you only faked closing your eyes and I'll insist you didn't saw me put the candy under the cup I'll end up in an apparent logic error about how the candy was placed under the cup.

Actually I've a second solution up on my sleeve but I'll let someone else expose it.

In short I'm not saying MetaBattler is completely incompetent, just that he's not genius either. He's more something in between that could have failed to guess some things in early episodes but then could have learnt to play the game better and have come up with interesting ideas for his own games.
Plus in Ep 5 & 6 Battler is in a pretty different situation.
Ep 5 assumes that PieceBattler knows that there are no dead people nor scary Beato's message so he can be calmer in how he solves things (for example Kinzo's escape) and in Ep 6 he's playing a game.

At the same time MetaBattler had learnt many tricks, had been given knox and, in Ep 6 he has figured out how the game work. He's bound to do better of Ep 1 MetaBattler.

Quote:
Although my theory on both the Umineko anime and the manga is that Ryukishi let their artists and scriptwriters do them according to their own interpretation, at least to a certain extent. It'd be kind of like practicing Reader Theory in the real world.

...In fact, I'd have a hard time imagining that Ryukishi didn't do it that way. Umineko is about the very concept of presenting interpretations, is it not?
Well, Ryukishi said he would keep an eye on the manga which, after all, gives some extra answers so I'll hate to think those extra answers are actually what the mangaka made up and not the truth of the game.

The mangaka makes quite clear the tale is Dawn by writing it on the cover of the book and showing scenes of it when he could have avoided both things.

Also didn't Will said something about Battler's tale for Beato being a thing and Lion's existence being another? I can't remember the exact sentence nor find it tonight, it seems, but the way Will put it seemed to clearly imply Battler's tale for Beato is Dawn, not Requiem.

(though there had been a time where I too thought it could be requiem, to be honest... :P)

Quote:
The question is more, who has the letter? Is Battler the only person who could have it at that point, or could it nebulously be in the hands of anyone in on things? Could it have been left ahead of time? That sort of thing.
Funny enough no red is given on that letter and since Erika is the murderer and therefore not reliable we can't even be sure the letter existed.

If we go with the 'PieceErika is mad' theory the letter could exist solely in Erika's mind. After all, are we sure that Erika's boyfriend cheated her or it was Erika who was paranoid and assumed innocent things were actually proofs of betrayal?

And okay... tonight I'm having fun with Erika being mad theory.

Quote:
Alternately it's all in Ange's head and she happens to believe in Genius Battler also. And Ange is never wrong, except all the times where she is.
LOL, it'll be an interesting idea if everything was in Ange's head.
She seems a Mary Sue in Ep 3&4, coming to resque Battler and being smarter than him in guessing some things, although we know Ange isn't mystery expert contrary to Battler, she's probably not so strong or else she could have beaten up or tried to the people who bullied her and that according to her Battler was reliable.
Instead she's the one who goes to save him and that dies in a heroic sacrifice.
Also in Ep 4 she can .... make the Sakutarou's red Beato wanted to use void as if she was on a highter level than Beato.
In Ep 8 this could explain Battler's denial to give her a solution. Battler is in her mind and represent the side of her who just wants to believe in her family being made only of nice people.
After all Battler was resurrected by Ange during his fight with Bern as if he was her piece.

And note how Ange in Ep 8 is jealous of Battler and Beato and annoyed at how she seems to believe his family is in the golden land having fun while she's left out. It matches with Battler marrying Beato and forgetting to come back to her in Ep 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
Well i just remembered something: The last scene we see of End's Rokkenjima is Battler saying "it is useless... it's all useless". The funny thing is, if I remember correctly, that he says this at the end of the regular Episode, but before the first tea party. Then the narrative goes on in the "cathedral", without anyone mentioning about what happened on the Rokkenjima side after that.

So could we say that the "court of illusions" was just a metaphor for what was happening in the parlor at the same time? Because then the story would continue by Natsuhi's innocence to be proven and then... well i guess they all die, right? It could go like this:

Erika shows evidence of Natsuhi's guilt
"Shanon" goes off somewhere to commit suicide
Battler remembers promise to "Shanon" (or remembers it earlier but only now is ready to talk about it) and redeems Natsuhi
It is too late to stop the bomb, because "Shanon" is dead already and Genji doesn't say a word about it
Bomb explodes and everyone dies (except Eva and/or Battler who could accidently be going through the tunnels at that time)

This is of course only EP5's Rokkenjima and is NOT supposed to be an attempt at speculating about RokkenjimaPrime
Well, it would be nice if with the useless comment Battler were going to confess the truth to Natsuhi. In short that it was all a trick to have her confess Kinzo was dead only things went to far and anyway Natsuhi refused to talk about it.

Natsuhi won't confess so continue with that torture is useless.

However, if Yasu secretly went on killing people (after all Krauss was killed so someone died prior to the bomb's explosion) this could cause her plan to blow up as the truth could end up being discovered. After all, if Battler confesses it was all a trick, people would end up trying to call Krauss and Co and if they turn up dead... well, I'm not sure Yasu would manage to have accomplices.

However the bomb ends up killing everyone without Yasu having the chance to continue with the epitaph murder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantei okuoku View Post

My theory is that kyrie is the mastermind behind everything. Asumu switched her baby with her stillborn baby. that set up her motive for killing the family that got catalyzed by yasu/Shannon actions. Shannon said that if it was one year or before or after then it wouldn't have been as much. this is because she chose that year to select the next head in the same way she was chosen. that is why no one died in the first game or for most of the second game. the second game rosa acted as a accomplice, while the third game had eva acted as a accomplice. the fourth game was kyrie and Jessica

The first game did not have anyone solve the epitaph so their was no crime but it was maria and Hideyoshi who served as accomplices

When should I read our confession, tsubasa, and hane?
You've to read Ep 8 first, Our Confession, Tsubasa and Hane contain additional tips.

It's hard to reply to your theory if we can't mention the stuffs that happened in Ep 8 and Our Confession that confirm or deny some of your theories.

Oh, also i recommend to read Ryukishi's interview.

Last edited by jjblue1; 2013-01-14 at 18:21.
Old 2013-01-14, 17:32   Link #31656
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Actually from rereading some of ep4 and ep8, one thing I noticed is that Ange is... kind of stupid. Like, seriously. She isn't all that bright. She acts tough and she can be clever, but she has almost no grasp of subtlety, whether we're talking about the 6-year-old version or the 18-year-old version. She is constantly either misinterpreting indirect points people make to her (and not just Battler; she does it to Amakusa also) or ignoring them because they don't suit her. When she tries to think about things, she often settles on a wrong or incomplete conclusion and is perfectly satisfied with it. It's really only toward the end of ep8 that she even remotely begins to get the picture, and by that point the whole matter has been belabored dozens of times.

She also acts in a fairly arbitrary fashion, trusts people implicitly until they appear to "betray" her then refuses to ever trust them again about anything, and generally acts like kind of a dumbass. And it's not something you can chalk entirely to stubbornness, in the same way Erika's dumbness can be chalked up to hubris.

Basically what I'm saying is Ange is a moron and "Everybody Hated Ange" was probably canon because she's a dour whiny self-absorbed bitch even as a six-year-old. And that's when her older self isn't controlling her.

Old 2013-01-14, 17:34   Link #31657
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Huh? I remember that everyone used to say that the tale Battler gives to Beato is "Land", or do I remember wrong? Wasn't it said in an interview or something?
Old 2013-01-14, 17:47   Link #31658
Kealym

Quote:
Basically what I'm saying is Ange is a moron and "Everybody Hated Ange" was probably canon because she's a dour whiny self-absorbed bitch even as a six-year-old. And that's when her older self isn't controlling her.
Man, that's harsh - girl had issues.
Also, noone is doubting the veracity of 'everyone hated Ange". She's neither book-smart or very sociable, and makes the Ushiromioya shareholders very nervous with her caprice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
Huh? I remember that everyone used to say that the tale Battler gives to Beato is "Land", or do I remember wrong? Wasn't it said in an interview or something?
Whaaat?
"Land" was Ryu's original plan for EP3, which got scrapped. It was hand-waved in-universe as Beato's "greatest work" of a message bottle, that ended up sinking before being discovered by anyone.
Kealym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 18:13   Link #31659
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kealym View Post
Whaaat?
"Land" was Ryu's original plan for EP3, which got scrapped. It was hand-waved in-universe as Beato's "greatest work" of a message bottle, that ended up sinking before being discovered by anyone.
LOL...

Yes i mean exactly this "scrapped EP3" which was called "Land of the Golden Witch"... I could swear there was a consensus here some months ago that it was Land that Battler put into Beato's coffin at the beginning of EP7... well maybe I just assumed that.

Also i just checked the EP7 thread... the last page is full of spoilers for EP8 :/
Old 2013-01-14, 18:55   Link #31660
jjblue1

Quote:
Actually from rereading some of ep4 and ep8, one thing I noticed is that Ange is... kind of stupid. Like, seriously. She isn't all that bright. She acts tough and she can be clever, but she has almost no grasp of subtlety, whether we're talking about the 6-year-old version or the 18-year-old version. She is constantly either misinterpreting indirect points people make to her (and not just Battler; she does it to Amakusa also) or ignoring them because they don't suit her. When she tries to think about things, she often settles on a wrong or incomplete conclusion and is perfectly satisfied with it. It's really only toward the end of ep8 that she even remotely begins to get the picture, and by that point the whole matter has been belabored dozens of times.

She also acts in a fairly arbitrary fashion, trusts people implicitly until they appear to "betray" her then refuses to ever trust them again about anything, and generally acts like kind of a dumbass. And it's not something you can chalk entirely to stubbornness, in the same way Erika's dumbness can be chalked up to hubris.

It's not like she's stupid she's more... obstinate to the point of being closed minded in a way that would be more fitting for a spoiled girl than one that claims to be mistreated.

In a way it's fitting that Amakusa would call her 'princess' as she really seems someone who is trying to rule the world even when that's not possible.

I mean... she claims she's on a quest for the truth, whatever she is.
Bern shows and unpleasant 'truth'. She rejects it.
Battler shows her a nice 'truth'. She rejects it.
Eva's diary shows her a very unpleasant 'truth'. She rejects it again.

She doesn't want the truth, she wants someone to tell her that yes, Eva did it all because she was mean.

There's no way of pleasing her unless you hand her what she wants. She's pretty rude with Nanjo's son and even with the others she sort of tends to act as the spoiled rich girl who must get and do what she wants no discussion allowed... which is odd because if her tale about how Eva handled her is true she probably wasn't spoiled at all...

Though sometimes I wonder if Ange isn't actually 6 years old Ange who exists solely in Tohya/Battler's mind (Ep 8 implied somewhere that Ange is still 6 inside...). Young Ange might have been spoiled and stubborn and in Tohya's mind that's how she remained.

Of course Ange's poor character might have been due to the trauma of losing her family of such a young age, not getting along with Eva and seeing her family being the focus of too many gossips.