AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2010-03-20, 03:05   Link #6181
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Send a message via AIM to Bastion_Arcion Send a message via MSN to Bastion_Arcion
Quote:
Originally Posted by zodanhko View Post
There is still no different, Bastion-kun. She was acting as a frail girl believing it will make Hayate likes her, but Hayate believed she wasn't feeling well since she is a a strong and hyperactive girl, a monster, in his eyes.
Given how the entire point of my argument was that what she thinks will get his attention, by the world's view, is pulling the exact opposite. And she gets rewarded when she acts normally.

Acting like a frail girl doesn't get her the attention she wants, while acting strong, like she normally is, rewards her.

Acting 'girly-girl' gets her the first date, but he's coerced into it, while acting strong during it gets her positive attention.
Acting frail gets her negative attention, when she acts strong she gets rewarded by being granted another date.
Looking nice without positive reinforcement earns her his gaze to uncomfortable degrees.

All things the world would want to tell her shouldn't get her attention is getting her closer.
I'd bet that once she shows him that she was the hero that helped him will be gaining her more points where the story is currently.

Would people quit throwing my faith in humanity being intelligent a shovel?
... Apparently there are now people in existence who are unable to use a shovel.

Programming today is a race between programmers trying to create better idiot-proof programs, and the world creating better idiots.
The world is winning.. by leaps and bounds.

Body Language and Intonation can convey large amounts of information with a single word.
Bastion_Arcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-20, 03:14   Link #6182
zodanhko
*ignoring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastion_Arcion View Post
Given how the entire point of my argument was that what she thinks will get his attention, by the world's view, is pulling the exact opposite. And she gets rewarded when she acts normally.

Acting like a frail girl doesn't get her the attention she wants, while acting strong, like she normally is, rewards her.

Acting 'girly-girl' gets her the first date, but he's coerced into it, while acting strong during it gets her positive attention.
Acting frail gets her negative attention, when she acts strong she gets rewarded by being granted another date.
Looking nice without positive reinforcement earns her his gaze to uncomfortable degrees.

All things the world would want to tell her shouldn't get her attention is getting her closer.
I'd bet that once she shows him that she was the hero that helped him will be gaining her more points where the story is currently.
I'm not here to argue the world's view or what she or you think the world want her to do according to your perspective. Or what you think it's the better or worst outcome because of how she acted. It's meaningless and will go on forever and forever, and I'm not at all interested in speaking about Hina.

I'm here to give evidences on how Hina acted according to the logic that you have been given negatively only toward Athena. That's all, Bastion-kun.

Edit: Bye, bye...it's sleeping time.
zodanhko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-20, 03:35   Link #6183
Koroshiya_Kame_13

You people take it so deep. I just interpretted that it was for the comedy build up for the final smashing victory.
Koroshiya_Kame_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-20, 04:51   Link #6184
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
There is still no different, Bastion-kun. She was acting as a frail girl believing it will make Hayate likes her, but Hayate believed she wasn't feeling well since she is a strong,hyperactive, monster girl in his eyes.
What?

Where did Hayate think of Hina as a monster girl?
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-20, 08:48   Link #6185
GlassesLady
dat apple

Quote:
You're not the only one who has a problem with it, I support it with you. I have no issue supporting Nagi anymore because of her mental maturity (which seems to be what Hayate is meaning when he talks about preferring older women) while I have a large problem with Athena's actions towards Hayate.

Also find it amusing that Hayate has shown interest in three girls physically. Maria, Hinagiku and Athena. Out of those three, Athena is the only one who prompted such a question, while the others were squicked by the reaction they were causing from Hayate.
Definately seems that she's trying a little hard to make sure she's the one in Hayate's heart.
That's not actually the problem I was referring to, but I'll give you props for trying. *gives Bastion props*

Anyway, for people who care, I was talking about the.... trying to remake Hayate into her perfect little white knight who will take care of her forever!
But Gasp! you say, But she let Hayate go back to Nagi, that must mean she's not selfish at all! Well, the 'I want my beloved to be happy' bit is nice and all, but I'm left with the feeling that if they did still manage to hook up, she'd revert to ordering Hayate to take care of her and kicking him in the stomach if he tried to protest. Considering that
-She doesn't bat an eyelash when Hayate mentions that he hasn't had a girlfriend the entire time they were apart due to not being financially responsible enough
-She says she plans to teach Machina some things, most likely the same stuff she taught Hayate
-The first thing she does once freed from Midas is to use Hayate as furniture
I'd say that that aspect of her hasn't changed at all since EotW.
Now, I'm not even saying she's doing this deliberately to be selfish - she probably truly believes it's the way a relationship should work, or something - but that doesn't change the fact that it causes a problem in her relationship with Hayate. He sincerely thinks he needs to be 'dependable' in order to be allowed to be with a girl, thanks to Athena hammering this into his head before he really knew anything about relationships, and Athena seems to believe this as well, so what you end up with if they hook up is Hayate working his ass off just to be 'allowed' to be with her, while Athena does god-knows-what, probably nothing. It's an inequal relationship. And they need to be apart for a while to work through this. Maybe once they've both dropped this idea, I'll consider Athena as a candidate for Hayate's girlfriend, but for now, keep them the hell away from each other. :P

(And by the way, fanboys.... making up cute little excuses for Athena's actions or talking about how much you lied them isn't going to improve my opinion of her. Or of you, for that matter.)

My Pokemans; let me show you them.
GlassesLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-20, 08:59   Link #6186
zibi88

but seriously after seeing the spoiler of c265 I feel sooo depressed.... I dont want Athena to disappear like that....... I would prefer Nagi to just vanish since she is not my fav char......

well Nagis childish gags reffering to 80% of the whole manga her playing games, drawing that shity mangas that no one understands or slacking off all days...... well its alrady overused for me and it got boring........ and personaly I dont see any ending with HayatexNagi at all..... I just cant... maybe others can but I no matter how long think about it I cant see it...

Hayate might now shut down all his "love" interest for other girls.... like "I will only love A-tan" and no one else..... so he might hear confessions but he wont respond to them becouse his heart belongs forever to other girl (the love he held up to for all those 10years)

hmmm I feel that from now one hayte wont be the same hayate... he will think about athena more.... he will be more depressed... and manga will lose the comedy aspect..... hmm kinda "now nothing will be like before".... Hata might try to show comedy again yet deep inside it wont be the same.... duo the athena parting..... ehhh kinda "why her".... why not kick out some other character out ^^

well hayate cried at the parting so he will suffer more deep inside (something will change for him).... and the relantionship with nagi will be like it was buttler and lady of the house nothing more.......

we can say that this is a space for hina or ayumu... but seriouly will hataye after this another sad parting instantly switch and forget about his love for Athena... like nothing happened.... nope its impossible so he will rather stay away from any romantic relantionships for now.... at his current state I guess even if hina would confess he wouldnt accept it...
zibi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-20, 09:36   Link #6187
zodanhko
*ignoring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koroshiya_Kame_13 View Post
You people take it so deep.
We are best of friends, and the purpose of that discussion was for FUN. hehe

Rah, I know you like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSgM5...eature=related

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
What?

Where did Hayate think of Hina as a monster girl?
Spoiler for angels:

Oo, your 're right, he only thought of her as a "wild beast," not a monster. Sorry, I thought he'd use monster instead of "wild beast" to emphasize her strength. But I like "wild beast" better, cuz you know..it has a little craziness and madness also which is always fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassesLady View Post
But Gasp! you say, But she let Hayate go back to Nagi, that must mean she's not selfish at all! Well, the 'I want my beloved to be happy' bit is nice and all, but I'm left with the feeling that if they did still manage to hook up, she'd revert to ordering Hayate to take care of her and kicking him in the stomach if he tried to protest. Considering that
-She doesn't bat an eyelash when Hayate mentions that he hasn't had a girlfriend the entire time they were apart due to not being financially responsible enough
-She says she plans to teach Machina some things, most likely the same stuff she taught Hayate
I'd say that that aspect of her hasn't changed at all since EotW.

(And by the way, fanboys.... making up cute little excuses for Athena's actions or talking about how much you lied them isn't going to improve my opinion of her. Or of you, for that matter.)
Are you kidding, Neyichigo God onee-san?

And here I wanted her to be honest with herself and acted more selfish. I was disappointed that she didn't use her power to cut Hayate's arms and legs to turn him into a tree-like person when she rested on his chest as he was a furniture, and you were worry about such trivial details about her making him a love slave which is the best part of the manga?

Last edited by zodanhko; 2010-03-20 at 10:21.
Old 2010-03-20, 13:27   Link #6188
musouka

Quote:
Why should she? There's nothing wrong with being financially independent before starting romantic relationships.

Quote:
How to properly clean carpets? The fiend.

Quote:
No, she wasn't sitting on him, she was using him a heater.

Quote:
Not just boys like Athena, you know...

Anyway, you totally neglect Hayate's own feelings in all this. She never forced him to do anything. She never manipulated him into anything. He fell in love with her and wanted to improve himself because of it, as he outright says in EotW. The EotW arc wasn't about Athena bending Hayate to her will, it was about Hayate gaining confidence in himself and becoming stronger because of it.
ずっと変りはしない
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-20, 13:35   Link #6189
Bangirasu

With A-tan arc over I hope the manga finally focus in Himegami.
Bangirasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-20, 14:13   Link #6190
mitsuganae

I simply want some semblance of humour to return.
mitsuganae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-20, 14:21   Link #6191
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
Why should she? There's nothing wrong with being financially independent before starting romantic relationships.
Financially independent in high school?
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-20, 14:35   Link #6192
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Send a message via AIM to Bastion_Arcion Send a message via MSN to Bastion_Arcion
Quote:
No, she wasn't sitting on him, she was using him a heater.
So a heater isn't a piece of furniture?

You people talk about how he 'loves' Athena. So you're willing to take him at his word for being so in love with someone he knew ~ten years ago for a few months, and only a few nights recently vs girls he's known a minimum of four months recently?

And there's nothing wrong with this picture, like realizing people change and mature over time, which Athena makes sure Hayate notices. And she focused him on the physical side, while the other girls ignore his 'poor-looking face' and are still attracted to him.
[sarcasm]Physical appearance is everything in a relationship, right?[/sarcasm]

... Apparently there are now people in existence who are unable to use a shovel.

Programming today is a race between programmers trying to create better idiot-proof programs, and the world creating better idiots.

Body Language and Intonation can convey large amounts of information with a single word.
Old 2010-03-20, 14:55   Link #6193
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB
Financially independent in high school?
To a certain degree. I think high school kids should at least have jobs before they start dating seriously. Kinda puts a dampener on things to have to ask mommy for your allowance before taking your girlfriend to the movies, you know? (Not having a hundred million plus debt would also be a bonus, but if we didn't ignore that, Hayate wouldn't be able to date until his 40's, so...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastion_Arcion
So a heater isn't a piece of furniture?
Technically, it's an appliance, not furniture...

Quote:
So you're willing to take him at his word for being so in love with someone he knew ~ten years ago for a few months, and only a few nights recently vs girls he's known a minimum of four months recently?
Why would I think I know the character better than he does himself? He obviously gave it some thought and weighed his feelings for her against the feelings he had for those girls he'd known for a few months, and concluded that he loved her more than them. (Nagi excluded, natch) Whether or not you think it's logical is ultimately immaterial in the face of what Hayate himself said. Even in this chapter, he told her he loved her in the present tense. It was Athena who put it in past tense.

Quote:
And there's nothing wrong with this picture, like realizing people change and mature over time, which Athena makes sure Hayate notices. And she focused him on the physical side, while the other girls ignore his 'poor-looking face' and are still attracted to him.
I'm not really sure what you're trying to say here, but might I point out that most of the things that made the girls fall in love with Hayate were things Athena taught him? He was always "nice", but she taught him how to be strong and gentle at the same time, and awoke the desire to protect people within him.

This means that Athena fell in love with him when he was a weak crybaby, whose default position when he saw a girl being attacked was to run away. So if you're talking about physical appearance, it was Athena that saw past his negative exterior and recognized the good in him long before any of the other girls had even met Hayate.
ずっと変りはしない
Old 2010-03-20, 15:25   Link #6194
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Quote:
Technically, it's an appliance, not furniture...
If you really want to get technical, there are lots of cases all over where people sit on appliances, thus turning an appliance into a piece of furnature.
They serve similar purposes though. Something that serves some purpose, and you have to avoid walking into it.

Quote:
Why would I think I know the character better than he does himself? He obviously gave it some thought and weighed his feelings for her against the feelings he had for those girls he'd known for a few months, and concluded that he loved her more than them. (Nagi excluded, natch) Whether or not you think it's logical is ultimately immaterial in the face of what Hayate himself said. Even in this chapter, he told her he loved her in the present tense. It was Athena who put it in past tense.
Only the fans make it out to be loving Athena more than the other girls. His words are 'different' I believe, which I'm fond of pointing out only means that it isn't the same as for the other girls.
I like Athena for a different reason as the other girls, she's dead last (and yet still far from least favorite anime/manga female), and yet I could use the exact same wording Hayate does without regret.

Quote:
I'm not really sure what you're trying to say here, but might I point out that most of the things that made the girls fall in love with Hayate were things Athena taught him? He was always "nice", but she taught him how to be strong and gentle at the same time, and awoke the desire to protect people within him.

This means that Athena fell in love with him when he was a weak crybaby, whose default position when he saw a girl being attacked was to run away. So if you're talking about physical appearance, it was Athena that saw past his negative exterior and recognized the good in him long before any of the other girls had even met Hayate.
So they couldn't possibly love him for the personality he's grown from the ten years since her?
Hina is the one who comments when she learns of how Athena taught him that a 'witch' taught him those things.
Izumi is the only one close, and yet she likes him for is something his brother also taught him (by example). Athena put words to it and told him more recently, so that's what came up when he started to turn away, but it was shown that Hayate's brother acts the same way, but only likely spent a few hours at most with her.

We didn't get any true indication that she actually loved Hayate until recently, during the entire EotW arc she never actually says the words.
Kicking someone in the stomach and then when they complain about it calling it the pain of love? Sure, sounds like she loves him a lot.
When did Hayate protect a girl being attacked in the past? It was Izumi's doll that was being attacked, Lucky never gave indication that he was interested in attacking Izumi herself.

Old 2010-03-20, 15:25   Link #6195
Used Can

I think when Athena said Hayate had to be able to financially support a girl she was thinking about a serious, long-term relationship and not just casual dating.
Old 2010-03-20, 15:55   Link #6196
musouka

Quote:
So they couldn't possibly love him for the personality he's grown from the ten years since her?
The EotW arc was a retcon in order to show exactly how Hayate learned many of the skills and tendencies that would later form the basis of his personality. Unless you think the girls love Hayate for his amazing art forgery detection skills, then, yes, part of the reason they love Hayate is what Athena taught him.

Quote:
Hina is the one who comments when she learns of how Athena taught him that a 'witch' taught him those things.
Hina doesn't know the full story, and was judging Athena based on a single aspect of what happened. Or would you agree that Hina is "violent and irrational" if another character said that based on what Hayate told them about her?

When Hina met Athena herself, she was obviously very fond of her and didn't think of her as a witch. On the contrary, she wanted to be closer friends with her.

Quote:
Izumi is the only one close, and yet she likes him for is something his brother also taught him (by example). Athena put words to it and told him more recently, so that's what came up when he started to turn away, but it was shown that Hayate's brother acts the same way, but only likely spent a few hours at most with her.
Hayate had been around his brother for several years (I assume), but it took Athena's encouragement and "words" in order for him to turn around and help save Izumi. Hayate's bro might have been a good example, but Hayate himself wonders if he can live up to the example his brother set. Whereas, when Hayate was with Athena, he wanted to live up to the example she set, and saw the strength of mind he was gaining by being around her.

Quote:
We didn't get any true indication that she actually loved Hayate until recently, during the entire EotW arc she never actually says the words.
Love is more than words.

Quote:
Kicking someone in the stomach and then when they complain about it calling it the pain of love? Sure, sounds like she loves him a lot.
It's a joke. Most of the girls that supposedly love Hayate have caused a similar, if not worse, level of pain to him, but only Athena gets tarred with the "abusive girlfriend" brush.

Quote:
When did Hayate protect a girl being attacked in the past? It was Izumi's doll that was being attacked, Lucky never gave indication that he was interested in attacking Izumi herself.
Oh really? I think you should check again.
ずっと変りはしない
Old 2010-03-20, 17:07   Link #6197
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Quote:
The EotW arc was a retcon in order to show exactly how Hayate learned many of the skills and tendencies that would later form the basis of his personality. Unless you think the girls love Hayate for his amazing art forgery detection skills, then, yes, part of the reason they love Hayate is what Athena taught him.
Yes, they love him for his fighting skills and for his butlering skills. Considering those are what we're shown that she spent most of her time teaching him. Not the personality that he notably didn't have while he was with Athena even at the end.

Oh wait, only one of the girls in his harem even know of his sword skills (Izumi) and only a few know of his butlering skills, though they do assume he's pretty good at such skills, being a butler of the Sanzenin. They also assume by the same token that he'd know 'finishing moves' though by his own words he doesn't.

Quote:
Hina doesn't know the full story, and was judging Athena based on a single aspect of what happened. Or would you agree that Hina is "violent and irrational" if another character said that based on what Hayate told them about her?
Given that that was clearly shown to be a significant memory of his, as his wording indicates, and not a 'one-of' case by the same token, this would be a logical conclusion, and rather accurately so.
Hina is violent, but irrational? I've only seen one case of her being so, and supposedly the sword was the cause of that (I have my doubts).
Punishing the one you care for and think loves you for showing affection to someone else is common everywhere.

Quote:
When Hina met Athena herself, she was obviously very fond of her and didn't think of her as a witch. On the contrary, she wanted to be closer friends with her.
Hina is the one who heard those words, got it confirmed that Athena was the one he had mentioned there, and yet shows no regret in those words.
'Witch' does not mean 'evil and I'd never associate with that person'. Notice that Hina has a significantly different personality than Athena, and that their friendship was broken off because of a name Hina wanted to use. Doesn't sound like it was a very strong friendship in the first place.

Quote:
Hayate had been around his brother for several years (I assume), but it took Athena's encouragement and "words" in order for him to turn around and help save Izumi. Hayate's bro might have been a good example, but Hayate himself wonders if he can live up to the example his brother set. Whereas, when Hayate was with Athena, he wanted to live up to the example she set, and saw the strength of mind he was gaining by being around her.
And Athena set the example of protecting someone else where? She's never shown interacting with anyone but Hayate, Ikuza or Machina, always on a one-on-one interaction and they all seem to be treated to be on the low side of the relationship.
It took Ikuza's words to make him want to go back after hurting Athena.

Quote:
Love is more than words.

It's a joke. Most of the girls that supposedly love Hayate have caused a similar, if not worse, level of pain to him, but only Athena gets tarred with the "abusive girlfriend" brush.
Most of what we're given of Hayate's relationship with Athena is her attacking him; kicking him in the stomach, attacking him with a lethal sword. A handful of 'neutral' scenes, her teaching him how to be a butler, and another handful of actual affection scenes, asking for a morning kiss. The other scenes are indeterminate.
As opposed to the other girls who's scenes with Hayate are overwhelmingly neutral at worse, while, as a group, the 'abusive' scenes are few and far between and typically no where near the lethal possibility Athena is shown to have.

Quote:
I don't know about you, but I only see a dog leaping for the doll, which she's likely standing over, since she was fighting for before, and it's shown that she has it in the present, so it's likely that she picked it up after Hayate left as well. And given that all that's needed to turn it away is a call from it's master, it doesn't seem like it's all that interested in that either.

Old 2010-03-20, 17:20   Link #6198
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Oo, your 're right, he only thought of her as a "wild beast," not a monster. Sorry, I thought he'd use monster instead of "wild beast" to emphasize her strength. But I like "wild beast" better, cuz you know..it has a little craziness and madness also which is always fun.
You are aware that Hayate actually never thought that, right? That was merely Hina's worry. Hayate thinks of Hina as a "cute, charming and way too defenseless girl".
Old 2010-03-20, 17:24   Link #6199
zodanhko
*ignoring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
You are aware that Hayate actually never thought that, right? That was merely Hina's worry. Hayate thinks of Hina as a "cute, charming and way too defenseless girl".
Nope, not her worries. She is a wild beast, at least when she is in a competition.

http://www.mangafox.com/manga/hayate...er/c222/8.html
http://www.mangafox.com/manga/hayate...er/c222/9.html
Old 2010-03-20, 17:30   Link #6200
Mentar
Banned

As I said, you're misunderstanding this scene. These are only Hina's thoughts, this is NOT what actually happens. She believes that if she plays to her normal potential, Hayate will come to see her as a non-girly wild beast. Therefore she does NOT and rather botches the reception of the ball.

Tags
comedy, shounen