AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-03-11, 18:38   Link #1
M.I.P.
May contain nuts.

Is my mind in the gutter or do I sense some Yuri(not ShizNat)?

Haruka and Yukino are pretty close and have been since they were really young. Now that's not exactly evidence of anythingbut heck this theory is built on assumption. Anyway, whilst fairly reciprocal Yukino seems to have the most invested in the "relationship". So Yukino and Haruka confront Shizuru about her actions and Yukino is filled with righteous indignation at Shizuru's actions towards Natsuki. Well it's seems my case is blown out of the water but wait as slippery as an eel I shall twist this little fact to my favour. IMO the reason she was so vexed wasn't because she was anti-yuri it was because a) she didn't agree with the way Shizuru went about it or b) she was vexed because she herself wasn't as bold in confessing her feeling towards Haruka. Well it seems I've got a case albeit a shaky one but wait if the creators of Mai Hime were confident about having one Yuri pairing why not have 2. A good question, one has to wonder why if what I say is true they didn't just reveal it at some point. Wll you've got me there I can't think of a counter argument to that.

Anyway am I in the gutter or is there something betwixt the two.
Old 2007-03-11, 22:05   Link #2
Yazakura
Enigma of Nothing

I would also love to see this as a canon pairing, since there's so much subtext between them through Hime and Otome. Ahem....Haruka's veiw on this is mentioned later....I don't want to spoil it if you haven't seen all of Mai Hime.

I go "AWWW!" whenever I see that pic of baby Haruka and Yukino under the covers. <3

Fangirlishness consumes me. LOL
Old 2007-03-11, 22:17   Link #3
X207
Gamyūsa

more like deep admiration for haruka
Old 2007-03-12, 05:40   Link #4
M.I.P.
May contain nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X207 View Post
more like deep admiration for haruka
Isn't that what love pretty much is minus the physical attraction
Old 2007-03-12, 06:47   Link #5
Morganchan
Gero?!

Well, I think anything like this is really up to individual interpretation (not counting blatantly obvious things like Shizuru's feelings XD). I don't think you're twisting the facts at all, however, when you say Yukino was indignant over how Natsuki was treated. I think that's the big driving point behind her angry speech, in fact, because she feels so strongly about the importance of trust between friends and how Shizuru defiled that.

You could say in favor of your opinion that the ever-observant Shizuru belives Yukino harbours romantic feelings, because when she's confronted by Yukino and Haruka, she makes a statement about the "pot calling the kettle black". I don't recall what the exact line was with Japanese dialogue, however, because I've watched the dub track most recently, but it's likely something along the same lines.

Either way, like I said, it's all up to personal interpretation! I think it's a little more interesting if a series is ambiguous about these things, 'cause then it inspires discussion!

Me personally, I tend to be indifferent to romance at best, so everything flies over my head unless I sit down and think about it (like I just did)
Old 2007-03-12, 09:59   Link #6
Sansana
a green tea lover

Send a message via ICQ to Sansana Send a message via MSN to Sansana
Personally I think Yukino and Haruka are far too innocent for something like this [ looks like lots of Shiznat doujins have made in my head a quite clear image of Mai Hime shojoai and yuri XD ], I just even can't imagine them in some ambiguous situations. For me Haruka acted always very homophobic, but it's a fact that we hate about others the same things we hate about ourselves.

In the japanese version Shizuru's speech is similar:
- Just like you kissed her when she was sleeping, a moment ago. You pretended to be her friend, and what's you have done...
- Look who's talking, Kikugawa-san. Aren't you in the same situation?

I wonder if Shizuru was refering to the pretend-to-be-a-friend thingy, or the other one
Old 2007-03-12, 12:00   Link #7
Question
Crossdresser

Theres very little yuri.

Spoiler:

But it does have one of the most suggestive yuri scences ive seen in anime to date.
Old 2007-03-13, 09:05   Link #8
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

Haruka (in HiME) is too homophobic to be a lesbian. Yukino is too innocent (IMHO) to think about anything sexual. She idealizes Haruka, but that's all.

To me the only true shoujo-ai pairing in Mai series are Chie and Aoi. I love the idea of ShizNat, but they are definitely not a canon couple in HiME, and we can't be sure if they are or not in Otome.
Old 2007-03-13, 11:20   Link #9
M.I.P.
May contain nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleo Scanti View Post
Haruka (in HiME) is too homophobic to be a lesbian. Yukino is too innocent (IMHO) to think about anything sexual. She idealizes Haruka, but that's all.

To me the only true shoujo-ai pairing in Mai series are Chie and Aoi. I love the idea of ShizNat, but they are definitely not a canon couple in HiME, and we can't be sure if they are or not in Otome.
Could it not just as easily have been her reaction to Shizuru abusing Natsuki rather than a reaction against lesbianism. Just because Yukino doesn't appear as infatuated as Shizuru doesn't mean she lacks similar feelings. Not everyone boldly declares their love or kidnaps their love interest.

I fail to see how you can consider Chie and Aoi more canon than ShizNat. Not only was it implied that Natsuki had accepted Shizuru's feelings for her she also confirmed Shizuru as her MIP. It was also stated at a later point that they're relationship had developed.
Old 2007-03-14, 14:09   Link #10
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

Haruka's homophobia.

Episode 22:
Haruka: To indulge in such action between females... How disgusting. Both you and Kuga Natsuki are...
Shizuru slaps her.
Shizuru: That was something I did on my own. I won't forgive you for insulting Natsuki.

Would you call that the reaction to Shizuru abusing Natsuki?
ShizNat.

Episode 25:
Natsuki: I can't have the feeling that you wish I did.

Then in episode 26 Natsuki admits that love is a good thing, but that's all. Their relationship weren't mentioned.

Special 23:
Natsuki: I was very... happy that you cared.

Special 25:
Natsuki: But the feeling Shizuru had for me, the feelings Mai and Tate have for each other, made me realise: people cannot live alone.

Even though she accepts Shizuru's feelings, hers are different. And the fact that Shizuru is Natsuki's MIP says nothing. Nao's MIP was her mother, Mai's initial MIP was Takumi. They are not a couple in anime.

Chie and Aoi.

While I'm not 100% sure that they are a couple in HiME, there are many things that show it's possible. They are always together, and many times we see Aoi's hands on Chie's shoulders. In the final episodes they leave the Academy together and then we see them together observing the flight of HiMEs. There was something else in radio-drama, but I cannot find it right now. In Otome they went on a date at least once, once Aoi brought Chie's glasses in the morning, and Chie was really dispirited when Aoi was injured.

As I said before, non of these couples are 100% canon, but Chie/Aoi have more potential than the other two.
Old 2007-03-14, 14:30   Link #11
M.I.P.
May contain nuts.

Hmm well I never can be asked to rewatch episodes so I plead a state of forgetfullness in the case of YukiHaru. Either way I have said it's more my overactive imagination than me having undisputable evidence.

As for ShizNat the official HiME guidebook suggests that their relationship becomes more serious after series end. I haven't read the book but not only is it said to contain such info by Wikipedia a great many posters have used it as the basis of their argument.

That evidence doesn't really prove anything for Chie/Aoi. Mikoto and Mai engage in significantly greater degrees of physical contact and spend as much time in one another's presence but they're not a couple. I'd say a case for their love is just as shaky as any other.
Old 2007-03-14, 18:53   Link #12
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

I haven't read the guidebook either, so I'm talking about anime only.

Mai and Mikoto are totally different from Chie and Aoi (I can't even imagine Mikoto in a romantic situation ). And as I already stated, their relationship may be unconfirmed, but is more possible than anyone else's. Ok, that's how I see it.
Old 2007-03-14, 19:51   Link #13
M.I.P.
May contain nuts.

How is it more confirmed when it is not expressly stated and other characters in non-romantic relations have displayed equal or greater levels of intimacy. In addition Otome is a separate thing nothing there applies to Hime. Furthermore Otome was more insistant on fanservice.
Old 2007-03-15, 03:46   Link #14
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

Otome is a totally separate thing, but relationships between characters remained unchanged. Akira still loves Takumi, Akane and Kazu-kun still love each other, Haruka and Yukino are childhood friends while Haruka and Shizuru are rivals, and Mikoto is still deeply in love with Mai's ramen. So we can't say that the relationships in Otome cannot be one of the proofs of their existence in HiME.

Back to HiME, Chie and Aoi look like a couple who are together for many years already, for whom the initial passion grew into a calm love. In this case people don't show their affection in public, and we don't see them in private.

All that is, of course, IMHO. There is no officially confirmed shoujo-ai couples in the series. ShizNat is believed to be confirmed as a future couple in that guidebook, while "Before one knows, happiness will visit these two" may actually have different meanings and is a pure fanservice.

That's all.
Old 2007-03-15, 05:41   Link #15
M.I.P.
May contain nuts.

Quote:
Otome is a totally separate thing, but relationships between characters remained unchanged. Akira still loves Takumi, Akane and Kazu-kun still love each other, Haruka and Yukino are childhood friends while Haruka and Shizuru are rivals, and Mikoto is still deeply in love with Mai's ramen. So we can't say that the relationships in Otome cannot be one of the proofs of their existence in HiME.

Back to HiME, Chie and Aoi look like a couple who are together for many years already, for whom the initial passion grew into a calm love. In this case people don't show their affection in public, and we don't see them in private.

All that is, of course, IMHO. There is no officially confirmed shoujo-ai couples in the series. ShizNat is believed to be confirmed as a future couple in that guidebook, while "Before one knows, happiness will visit these two" may actually have different meanings and is a pure fanservice.

That's all.
I never watched Otome and I'm never going to so you'll forgive me if I'm not persuaded by something which is for all practical purpoeses a completely differant show.

Or maybe they've been friends for a really long time. Based on the way relationships were potrayed by the writers Chie and Aoi do not display enough for their pairing to be anymore solid than any other.

As far as romantic pairings go this is how it goes in terms of canonicity:
Tate/Mai
ShizNat
Everything else

Tate/Mai was confirmed in the show and ShizNat was confirmed after the show. Everything else is open to intepretation. I'm not saying you're wrong but you're suggesting your pairing has more proof when it's on equally shaky grounds as a great many other pairings.

Last edited by M.I.P.; 2007-03-15 at 06:49.
Old 2007-03-15, 11:12   Link #16
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:

That's all.

The guide book had epilogues for some of the characters to close up 'some loose ends' and ShizNat's happened to be one of them. If anything, "Natsuki's Prelude" (Natsuki's backstory) also reinforces ShizNat being canon since Natsuki sent Takeda a rejection letter (letter sent during the Carnival) and knew whose feeling she would accept. As it mentioned, she chose that path. This is also in the Mai Hime Guide book Volume 2.

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
Old 2007-03-15, 20:11   Link #17
solarknight123

I think in the anime that yukino has deep feelings for haruka, even though haruka is not so big on the girlxgirl thing, but it could be just deep admaration or friendship like some other people say. Their relationship seems to be a bit more than friends in the manga version of mai-hime and......

spoiler:
The relationship of thier dark counterparts in the MO manga is really sexual, to the point where yukino gives haruka a hikki (sorry, forgot how to do the whole "spoiler" box")
Old 2007-03-15, 22:03   Link #18
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarknight123 View Post
I think in the anime that yukino has deep feelings for haruka, even though haruka is not so big on the girlxgirl thing, but it could be just deep admaration or friendship like some other people say. Their relationship seems to be a bit more than friends in the manga version of mai-hime and......

spoiler:
The relationship of thier dark counterparts in the MO manga is really sexual, to the point where yukino gives haruka a hikki (sorry, forgot how to do the whole "spoiler" box")

LOL! I remember that! Seeing MO Haruka's reaction as well as the other's reactions was just priceless.

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
Old 2007-03-15, 22:47   Link #19
X207
Gamyūsa

solar knight- just remove space in last bracket [spoiler] [/spoiler ]
Old 2007-03-15, 23:23   Link #20
solarknight123

oh ok thnaks
Closed Thread