AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-10, 00:23   Link #3901
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428 View Post
I second that, though, I think the best way for this to end, is simply to allow anarchy in the area.

Generations of leaders have fought over it, to no end in sight.
Generations of families have died over it.
So, really, it is a kind of anarchy there, and thus, let it reign in the region. I'm absolutely serious.
Well, if the anarchy spreads, who's going to be responsible?
Old 2009-09-10, 00:52   Link #3902
mg1942

Anonymous declares war on Australia!

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/200...cks-australia/
Old 2009-09-10, 12:35   Link #3903
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I'm surprised no one has posted this story...

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/am...328357352.html

Quote:
Mexico jet hijacking suspect held

Police arrested several suspects but later said there was only one hijacker [AFP]

Mexican police have arrested a man who briefly hijacked a plane with 104 people on board, saying he wanted to warn Felipe Calderon, the president, of an impending earthquake.

Security forces stormed the plane with guns drawn on Wednesday and detained five suspects, but later said there was only one hijacker.

No shots were fired and all passengers and crew were released unharmed, police said.

"The passengers are safe. There was no bomb," Juan Molinar, the transport minister, told Mexico's Televisa channel.

Earthquake warning

Genaro Garcia Luna, Mexico's public safety secretary, said Jose Mar Flores, a 44-year-old Bolivian man, told investigators he hijacked Aeromexico Flight 576 after a divine revelation.

Flores said that he had "had a revelation that Mexico was facing a great danger, and was threatened by an earthquake", according to Luna.

The Boeing 737 aircraft was seized in the beach resort of Cancun and flown to the capital, Mexico City, where it landed safely.

Flores, speaking to reporters after he was detained, said he took control of the aircraft with a fake bomb - "a juice can with some little lights I attached" - and held passengers and crew on the tarmac for more than an hour.

He told police that his action was prompted by the realisation that the date - 9-9-09 - is the satanic number 666 upside down.

It was not immediately if the other individuals who were arrested had assisted in the seizure of the jet.

The Mexican attorney general's office said it would investigate the incident but did not say how many people would be charged.

The airport remained open throughout the incident, although flights were suspended.

One of the passengers who was released from the aircraft told Mexican television she had not realised the flight had been hijacked until the plane landed at Mexico City.

"We realised it was a hijack when we saw the police trucks," Adriana Romero said.
When the news about this first came out, I thought it might have been drug people. Looks like it was just one crazy nut.
Old 2009-09-10, 14:12   Link #3904
Shadow Kira01

2 kids sickened by E. coli after eating at steak chain

Quote:
SAITAMA--Two customers became ill from the O-157 strain of E. coli bacteria after eating diced beefsteak at two separate Steak Don restaurants in Saitama Prefecture last month.

The two restaurants were ordered to suspend business for three days, the prefectural government said Wednesday.

The Steak Don chain is operated by Don Co., which has 95 restaurants in 17 prefectures.

A middle school girl ate steak at one of the restaurants in Higashi-Matsuyama on Aug. 13, and a primary school boy had a steak in Koshigaya on Aug. 15. As of Aug. 17, both had reported having diarrhea and stomachaches. The boy was hospitalized until Tuesday.

(Sep. 11, 2009)
Old 2009-09-10, 21:28   Link #3905
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Kira01 View Post
Talking about diarrhea.]

Singapore sees spike in diarrhea cases

Quote:
Singapore has seen a 50 percent increase in diarrhea cases at local polyclinics in the past week, local media reported on Thursday.

The country's 18 polyclinics, which are government-owned clinics, treated 2,990 patients for acute diarrhea last week, or about 50 percent more than the weekly average of 2,072 cases, local newspaper the Straits Times reported.

When polyclinics see more than 2,668 cases a week, it is considered an epidemic. The last time such an outbreak happened was two years ago.

Doctors who have seen many more cases than usual in the last two weeks, said it appears to be highly contagious.

The Ministry of Health has been unable to account for the larger-than-usual number of victims.
Oh really? I can explain, man!

They went to Singapore.
Old 2009-09-10, 23:04   Link #3906
mg1942

Tax payer funded, union-backed activist group ACORN is in hot water again...

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/09/....prostitution/
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,548827,00.html
Old 2009-09-11, 00:54   Link #3907
FateAnomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimatheKat View Post
Talking about diarrhea.]

Oh really? I can explain, man!

They went to Singapore.
I don't get it.
Old 2009-09-11, 01:07   Link #3908
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
I don't get it.
Persona3/4 joke: ALL OF THE GIRLS CAN'T COOK (and only the male protagonists can!)
Old 2009-09-11, 01:42   Link #3909
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Persona3/4 joke: ALL OF THE GIRLS CAN'T COOK (and only the male protagonists can!)
Not true..

Spoiler for P3:

Spoiler for P4:

Thus, it makes no sense to link the girls' cooking abilities with Singapore's spike on diarrhea.
Old 2009-09-11, 02:47   Link #3910
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Not true..
Spoiler for long text:

Thus, it makes no sense to link the girls' cooking abilities with Singapore's spike on diarrhea.
It's called a joke, it's not meant to have truth anyway. Chillax, man.
Besides, I never got that far on Fuuka, and I only saw cake on Dec 2011.

---

Even the White House is into local produce.

Farmers Market Near White House Is Approved

Quote:
With a little help from the White House, a nonprofit group won approval on Thursday to set up an open-air farmers market near the Executive Mansion, a city official said.
You can bet that people will be watching to see if the First Family will become First Customers.
Old 2009-09-11, 09:36   Link #3911
LynnieS

Quote:
It's going around in Japan, it seems. 11 people got sick from E. coli after eating at Pepper Steak restaurants recently also.

Quote:
TOKYO - A total of 11 customers may have suffered food poisoning from the O-157 strain of E. coli bacteria after eating dice-cut beefsteak at Pepper Lunch steak restaurants in seven prefectures, local governments said Saturday. The 11 fell sick after eating beefsteak at the restaurants operated by Pepper Food Service Co in Saitama, Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, Yamaguchi and Ehime prefectures.
I was at a Pepper Steak restaurant this past Wed, and noticed that where the meat had been raw from the start (so you watch it cook on a hot plate till it's at your point of done-ness), it's now already well-cooked. Could well be a change due to this - but I haven't been to one in months to say for sure.

Neighbors claim Wells Fargo SVP moved into bank-owned home
Quote:
(AP) MALIBU, Calif. — A Wells Fargo & Co. executive who oversees foreclosed properties hosted parties and spent long summer weekends in a $12 million Malibu beach house, moving into the home just after it had been surrendered to Wells Fargo to satisfy debts, neighbors said.
Tsk. Hopefully, given the attention, a good investigation happens.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
Old 2009-09-11, 10:02   Link #3912
sa547
*Author

Quote:
I ate at one of those restaurants some months ago, but after that I think I'll carry a hibachi just to make damn sure. Better yet, I'll settle for a dish called "sisig" (chopped and broiled pig's ears in spicy sauce on a hot plate)

Well-done is better than rare and I'll see to that.

Last edited by sa547; 2009-09-11 at 10:13.
Old 2009-09-11, 10:03   Link #3913
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS View Post
It's going around in Japan, it seems. 11 people got sick from E. coli after eating at Pepper Steak restaurants recently also.

I was at a Pepper Steak restaurant this past Wed, and noticed that where the meat had been raw from the start (so you watch it cook on a hot plate till it's at your point of done-ness), it's now already well-cooked. Could well be a change due to this - but I haven't been to one in months to say for sure.

Neighbors claim Wells Fargo SVP moved into bank-owned home
Tsk. Hopefully, given the attention, a good investigation happens.
Shoot. Before I left Japan for New Zealand this morning, I had Pepper Steak. Oh no.
Old 2009-09-11, 10:14   Link #3914
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

O-157 E.coli serotype is actually the most common of the Enterohemmorhagic E.coli forms so I'm not too surprised. Then again these types of diseases by E.coli are pretty serious. You'd usually get them from contaminated food and bad preparation so it really calls the chain's sanitary conditions into question.

Also, E.coli isn't going to stop me from enjoying a good plate of sisig.
Old 2009-09-11, 10:14   Link #3915
LynnieS

Quote:
Shoot. Before I left Japan for New Zealand this morning, I had Pepper Steak. Oh no.
It should be fine. Eating at a restaurant right after it got cited for a health violation is probably (fingers crossed) the best time to go!

OTOH, I personally now stay well away from Yoshinoya, though, after getting sick from eating a oyaku don a few months ago - even though their gyudon should be fine.

U.S. Coast Guard training exercise causes confusion in Washington, D.C.
Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) - The Coast Guard conducted a training exercise in the Potomac River near the Pentagon amid Sept. 11 commemorations Friday, sparking confusion that scrambled FBI agents and led the nearest airport to briefly ground flights.

Coast Guard Chief Keith Moore said Friday no shots were fired as part of the exercise in the river. Media reports suggested shots had been fired in the river and showed vessels circling in the water, near the bridge where President Barack Obama's motorcade passed as he traveled to a Sept. 11 memorial at the Pentagon Friday morning.
Absolutely nuts, IMHO. Doing this on Sept 11th and apparently near the bridge on which the U.S. President's motorcade was using. Add the initial confusion as to why this was happening, and it's just weird.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!

Last edited by LynnieS; 2009-09-11 at 10:32. Reason: Added news story
Old 2009-09-11, 12:26   Link #3916
Shadow Kira01

Japan, N. Korea need new accord to improve ties: North envoy

Quote:
On the abduction of Japanese nationals by North Korea, Song said the issue has been ''effectively settled,'' but that the two countries should first discuss and study a ''benchmark'' for solving it in a way that would satisfy both sides.

''Both sides have made contradictory claims, with one saying it has been settled but another saying it has not been settled,'' he said. ''So (the two sides) are expected to raise the issue of setting a benchmark that shows by what measures (the abduction issue) can be solved.''
Based on this alone, it is pretty much end of conversation. First of all, the kidnappers are asking something absurd. Releasing false information on the status of the abductees was one thing and now, they would like a solution that satisfies both side which comes out totally strange. And the fact that North Korea is claming that both sides have made contradictory claims is pretty much a lie as that the only nation making contradictory claims is North Korea alone. North Korea's idea of a "fruitful tie" with Japan's new administration is pretty much a one-sided benefit in which Japan should lift sanctions while not criticizing their nuclear ambitions, while not mentioning the abductee issue as that it has been resolved. And this all came from an ambassador of goodwill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS View Post
U.S. Coast Guard training exercise causes confusion in Washington, D.C.
Absolutely nuts, IMHO. Doing this on Sept 11th and apparently near the bridge on which the U.S. President's motorcade was using. Add the initial confusion as to why this was happening, and it's just weird.
It's most likely that the guys doing the training were in a panic as that it is September 11th while Obama happens to be right below them makes it slightly worse. Still, this is a human error caused by carelessness. First of all, they shouldn't be training somewhere in which people are in the river; doesn't matter if its Obama or some civilian.

Last edited by Shadow Kira01; 2009-09-11 at 12:40.
Old 2009-09-11, 16:18   Link #3917
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
This is worth mentioning. I grew up knowing this man as one of the greatest historical and iconic figures of television in Italy and worldwide. RIP, Mike Buongiorno

http://www.italymag.co.uk/italy/arts...uongiorno-dies
Old 2009-09-11, 17:48   Link #3918
Shadow Kira01

PS3 Slim Gets A Huge Slice Of Japan's Hardware Pie

Based on the sale figures, it seems as though the new PS3 slim is actually more popular than any other game system in Japan right now but part of the reason is that it is the first release and also to mention the Gundam Senki bundle. If the popularity continues for a few weeks, I might get the slim edition instead of the original as that it has the noise-reduction capability.
Old 2009-09-12, 02:06   Link #3919
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Japan, N. Korea need new accord to improve ties: North envoy

Based on this alone, it is pretty much end of conversation. First of all, the kidnappers are asking something absurd. Releasing false information on the status of the abductees was one thing and now, they would like a solution that satisfies both side which comes out totally strange. And the fact that North Korea is claming that both sides have made contradictory claims is pretty much a lie as that the only nation making contradictory claims is North Korea alone. North Korea's idea of a "fruitful tie" with Japan's new administration is pretty much a one-sided benefit in which Japan should lift sanctions while not criticizing their nuclear ambitions, while not mentioning the abductee issue as that it has been resolved. And this all came from an ambassador of goodwill?
Why am I not surprised? After all, this is DPRK we're talking about.
Old 2009-09-12, 08:59   Link #3920
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Why am I not surprised? After all, this is DPRK we're talking about.
They say they want to rule the world. And so we let them.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international