AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-05-11, 07:29   Link #101
Gooral
Banned

As always it was awesome and next episode will probably be the best of all so far ! I can't wait (and no, I haven't read manga, at least not past anime).
Spoiler for ep. 6:
Gooral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 01:20   Link #102
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Episode 5 was really good, almost like one of the series's high points to me, capturing the humanity of the situation. Kaiji really wants to prove to dead guy's son that his father was just not a failure and that there is a way out of this. He's not only fighting for his own existence, but also to light everyone else's spirits on fire. He's trying to inspire the oppressed.

Even in his dying moments, Ishida didn't let a single sound out so that Kaiji could focus on surviving. Winning this battle would hopefully show this is not all in vain, and he could finally pay Ishida back.

That being said, episode 6 almost felt like it didn't need to be there. I mean the narrator was yelling "MAX!" so many times that you think he just ran out of things to say. Oh sure, there's building tension, and there's also wasting time, an issue that pretty much sank the series in the 2nd half for me. I really think you could have made these into 1 episode.

Of interest, I totally had the beer scene coming, but as Kaiji realized, maybe it wasn't that great of an idea.

However, I still want to see what Kaiji has planned. He really did a good job into making everyone think he was ready to be finished off, but now Kaiji has it there where he wants them. Or so he thinks...

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 12:28   Link #103
eiyuu99

Good things come later.
Spoiler:
eiyuu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 12:43   Link #104
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Episode 6 was a bit too longwinded to my tastes, considering how they were just trying to fill a lot of things with just "tension".
While it is the forte of this series ever since Episode 1, it is a bit misplaced with this arc, considering the trick and what Kaiji will do (I guess I'm too biased due to prior knowledge due to the manga).
That said, they can craft the good atmosphere as a pay off (it is nice to have that familiar BGM back for this scene), although again, due to the circumstances, it is a bit too much.

I think it would have been perfectly doable to shorten a bit ep 4-5 and 6 so the arc would be over with episode 6. At least, I guess the events of EP7 won't be rushed at all, but I will be really afraid of the next arc if the dice arc is dragged for 2 extra episodes.
Old 2011-05-12, 16:35   Link #105
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

They could have easily shortened this game, yes. However, as I see it, keeping things relatively slow and long-winded is their way of staying true to the manga. Most see the sometimes unbearably slow pace as a flaw, but it's an integral part of Fukumoto's storytelling style. The conclusion of each arc wouldn't have as much impact if he didn't build tension to the MAKKUSU. The drawback of this technique is that it's not very suited for weekly releases since it makes you feel like nothing happens (on the other hand, it leaves you craving for more, which is good)... marathoning might be a better idea. Reading the last three volumes of this part in a row was such a blast. I'm thankful the scanlators released them all at once back then.
Old 2011-05-17, 08:41   Link #106
Peanutbutter

Waiting is such a chore, I went to read up on what's next and before I know it, I finished reading the arc after this.

Looks like there'll only be room for this and the other arc. And I see why the ED to this one was like that. Poor Kaiji.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 13:00   Link #107
Farplaner

I read the manga already so I already know what's coming, but reading 2ch reactions...

Spoiler for ep 7:
Farplaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-18, 10:42   Link #108
Psycho_Kenshin

Kaiji typically hits us on Wednesday, I'm anxious for this episode right about now lemme tellya!

I love the OP song by Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, catchy and rockin' oh yes! Full version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgLM7qm8j6M
Old 2011-05-18, 17:01   Link #109
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Spoiler for episode 7:
Old 2011-05-18, 17:30   Link #110
karumofin

Meh, I had figured the trick out form the moment Kaiji pointed out the dice are cubic. Considering that it's pretty meh that they took 7 episodes to get to this point. Not that the series isn't entertaining, but in comparison to the first arc of the first season this is just boring.
karumofin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-18, 22:45   Link #111
gsilver

Will they really have time for the next arc with only 5 episodes, assuming that this arc ends next episode?
Old 2011-05-19, 00:01   Link #112
theman4life

My goodness the music that starts playing at 14:14 in episode 7 was amazing. Any info as to when the OST will be released? There were already a few tracks from this season that caught my attention but this one was just on a whole nother level. Hell that whole scene was amazing, music, voice acting, everything.
theman4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-19, 07:54   Link #113
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilver View Post
Will they really have time for the next arc with only 5 episodes, assuming that this arc ends next episode?
No way. This arc won't even end next episode. That's why this season has to be 2-cour. I don't think it's been officially confirmed, but I've always assumed it would be the case.
Old 2011-05-19, 11:37   Link #114
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Spoiler for ep 7:
Old 2011-05-20, 16:38   Link #115
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Longest rolling dice ever. But lol, Kaiji just grabs it, and now it's game. They never saw that coming; well looks like we can finally move on to the next arc.

Also, flashback was fun.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 02:38   Link #116
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
Spoiler for ep 7:
Same thing I thought. These dice are a bit more subtle than loaded ones, I guess, due to the somewhat diverse results they can yield.

I'm interested to see how everything's going to play out now. Looks like it's all over for the foreman, but guys like him have plenty of experience weaseling out of tough spots.

Just throwing it out there; the voice acting in this show is off the charts. Just plain fantastic.
Old 2011-05-23, 22:42   Link #117
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

There was more action with a bowl of clinking dice than in all shonen's I watched this last week...But I'm going insane...How long is this series 100 eps? Because I don't know how much longer they can stretch this opening arc out!! I'm going crazy!^^ Good crazy...

I can't believe we still have to wait one more week after all that $hit! I was leaning so close toward my flatty when Kaiji seemingly serendipitously snagged that soup saucer! Then I was all like, "C'mon man, I can't wait another week, $$$hit!"
Old 2011-05-25, 09:45   Link #118
Peanutbutter

Spoiler for Ep 8:
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-25, 11:37   Link #119
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
I can't believe we still have to wait one more week after all that $hit! I was leaning so close toward my flatty when Kaiji seemingly serendipitously snagged that soup saucer! Then I was all like, "C'mon man, I can't wait another week, $$$hit!"
A feeling most people in this thread can relate to, I'm sure.
Old 2011-05-25, 13:18   Link #120
Vall3y

Arrr cant believe its not subbed yet. I'm almost watching the raw. I'm literally eating myself
Vall3y is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seinen