AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Suisei no Gargantia

Notices

View Poll Results: Suisei no Gargantia - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 12 16.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 35 46.67%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 18.67%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 14.67%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.33%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.33%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.33%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-06-10, 22:25   Link #141
MeggieMay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
As to next weeks teaser, after looking again, I think it's just Red being show in the pilot suit. There are three shots of an Alliance pilot and I think they are all Red. Kugel hasn't been shown once.
Yeah, I wasn't certain what I was seeing there last night either so I wouldn't be surprised if it was just Ledo and the artwork was off character model a bit.
Old 2013-06-10, 22:34   Link #142
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

BTW, am I the only one who noticed this? Suisei no Gargantia, Valvrave and Attack on Titan... all of them like to throw German words around... has German somehow become a popular language in Japan or something like that, lately?
Old 2013-06-10, 23:55   Link #143
hawkeyesvn
The old ace of Arlington

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
BTW, am I the only one who noticed this? Suisei no Gargantia, Valvrave and Attack on Titan... all of them like to throw German words around... has German somehow become a popular language in Japan or something like that, lately?
It has always been popular with Japanese anime/games/manga. Especially if that product have anything related to mecha - German is the way to go! Just take a look at Super Robot Wars video game series and see how many mechs have German names: Huckebein, Weiss Riiter, Zweizergain, Gespent, Wildwurger, Wildschwein, Aussenseiter,...etc. It seems like Japan is in love with German when it comes to mechanic things.
Old 2013-06-11, 00:33   Link #144
rocket
Senior and Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Yeah, well, I guess I'm being consistent if I say that I found his speech (a) the highlight of the episode and (b) completely wrong and self-interested.
This.

Typical Gen. Everyone is tainted, even the machines, and yet we sympathize with them...

Quote:
Yes! Some of the reactions to the Hideauze earlier in these threads did remind me of what many Japanese really think about gaijin.
Hideous!!!
Old 2013-06-11, 01:54   Link #145
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I did like how Chamber's speech reinforced the value of his own existence. You're right, there is a strong element of humanity there.
he's right in so far as once the war had started, there's no end but the annihilation of the other though.

His argument before any shot was fired is basically ideological hot air and illusion though.
Old 2013-06-11, 04:37   Link #146
Jerseykid

We're running out of episodes, there won't be enough time for Ledo to fall in love with Amy!
Old 2013-06-11, 04:51   Link #147
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
he's right in so far as once the war had started, there's no end but the annihilation of the other though.

His argument before any shot was fired is basically ideological hot air and illusion though.
True. It is already too late now. Until the other is annihilated, neither will stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykid View Post
We're running out of episodes, there won't be enough time for Ledo to fall in love with Amy!
I don't romance is the point here. Maybe, they will focus the romance in the 3 BD episodes after the main series that was reported.
Old 2013-06-11, 05:02   Link #148
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus2 View Post
I don't romance is the point here. Maybe, they will focus the romance in the 3 BD episodes after the main series that was reported.
I think if there's any romance it would be implied at the very end either through an ending monologue or through a short timeskip scene. That tends to be the common choice when there's no time to establish substance for a relationship, but there's a desire to have it be solidified as an outcome.
Old 2013-06-11, 05:49   Link #149
encia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleeyook View Post
^^ I don't know what to say about the opinions of people about this GA vs Hideous anymore. ^^

I don't think it's fair for us to say that the GA are Nazi-space assholes when the hideous believe themselves to be superior to humans. Also, while the CA attacked the Evolvers first. It was the Evolvers who siezed the wormhole dive to chase after the CA who decided to flee from them so that they wouldn't deal with the hideous' bullshit in the first place.

What was the point of converting them into something THAT different in order to live in the space without the spacecraft when they need the wormhole dive to spread themselves even faster!? The hideous just got greedy and had expansionist attitude to conquer the galaxy for themselves.

But then, as the viewers, the 3rd person viewpoint. It will always be neutral, although I doubt your opinion is really objective seeing you root so much for the hideous. This conflict isn't something we can compare to Gundam SEED's Blue Cosmos vs Coordinators, you know! It's on a different magnitude!

BTW, Hideauze probably comes from hideous. That's what normal humans looks at their appearance anymore. I don't know about their social structure, culture and moral concept tough.

I don't think I can compare this to normal people living with cannibals, but when their opinion about their way of life crash in the most radical way, I don't think peaceful coexistence is possible.
Star Trek's Into Darkness and Star Trek II also touches Trek's old eugenics wars i.e. augmented (genetic enhanced) humans vs non-augmented humans. Trek's "naturals" won the war against augmented humans and forced them out from Earth sphere. Trek's Earth still has anti-augmented human laws in 24C. http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Eugenics_Wars
Old 2013-06-11, 06:26   Link #150
Principalities

Hmm. If Kugel is indeed dead as some have speculated wouldn't it mean that Chamber will have the advantage over Striker in battle? Battle Potential with Pilot > Battle Potential without Pilot!
Old 2013-06-11, 06:35   Link #151
FateAnomaly

If kugel is dead , leto automatically gains command over the mech since he is the highest ranking officer around.
Old 2013-06-11, 07:06   Link #152
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
If kugel is dead , leto automatically gains command over the mech since he is the highest ranking officer around.
Yeah, unless Striker went rogue and developed a god complex that's what it should be. Chamber said that he defers to the highest GA authority on site, not just to his pilot or to a commander. That should be true even for Striker, even if she's a model meant for higher officers.

Old 2013-06-11, 08:14   Link #153
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus2 View Post
True. It is already too late now. Until the other is annihilated, neither will stop.
It's funny. People seem to assume the absolute best about the Hideauze... except in the area of warmongering, for some reason.

Again, I point to simple visual evidence (or lack thereof). We have yet to see the Hideauze (and that includes the Space Hideauze) be the aggressors in a conflict. There is no real evidence that they are actively trying to wipe out humans.

What we do know is that rather important information was kept from Ledo and his fellow soldiers. So we know that the GA is quite willing to have its soldiers operate on false pretenses. Even Ledo himself now believes that he was "brainwashed" by the GA (at least going by the subs I have for this episode).

For all we know, the Hideauze could be a peaceful species, and the GA want to wipe them out simply to grab more territory and/or resources. You know, kind of like what Pinion is doing right now. Is Pinion a metaphor for the GA, I wonder?
Old 2013-06-11, 08:50   Link #154
Winterson
Wrath of Her Fury

Hideaze and humans will always be antagonistic to one another. Both are from extreme race, but humans always enrich civilization. Chamber is one of the crystalizations of the advancement of humankind. So no matter what, humans are ought to be superior, and those who had thrown away their humanity would not understand this concept.

So there's this cult heading to Pinion's fleet. Remember that he swaggerly boasted their claims on these relics of the past and in the area, and most likely this approaching vessel was challenged and wanted to try how strong their stronghold was. They were trying to show off their invincibility by displaying the carcasses' of those whalesquids and exposing their ultimate weapon--GA mech of captaing Kugel. Now I wonder if Ledo is to engage in a fight with this purple tin can.
Old 2013-06-11, 08:51   Link #155
hyperborealis
Lost at Sea

Gen is playing on our instinctual responses to the Hideauze's appearence: we fear them (what big teeth they have!) and love them (so cute! just like babies! ). Perhaps a logical assessment, free of such perceptual biases, will clear things up? But Caliber's dispassionate advocacy of genocide is even more unsettling. We are left in the perfect conundrum, where we don't know who or what is right, but must act.

Everyone is making really good arguments on different sides, arguments that are so good, in fact, that I think the point is the confusion among them. We really don't know who the good or bad guys are.

A Blossoming Flower in the Snowy Winter
Old 2013-06-11, 09:04   Link #156
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperborealis View Post
We really don't know who the good or bad guys are.
The ones who refuse a peaceful agreement.

If the Hideauze have become incapable of that, as Chamber suggests, then there is simply no justification to their ways. Foregoing the ability to communicate and compromise with other intelligent species is absolutely inexcusable.

If, however, the Hideauze, or the ones in charge, still have intelligence and the ability to consider concepts such as "sustainable development", "peace agreements" and such, then both factions are at fault for not even trying to settle their disputes.
Since in the current state both factions are threatening each other's existences, a peaceful agreement would be the most safe "survival strategy" for both.

Old 2013-06-11, 09:06   Link #157
Winterson
Wrath of Her Fury

So I am having this buts and ifs. I am thinking that maybe the ensigned pilot transferred his authority of command to one those weirdos before he died and it could not be passed to Ledo. Now, it is being used for their own benefit while it continues to do its top priority of annihilating the Hideaze.
Old 2013-06-11, 09:14   Link #158
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterson View Post
So I am having this buts and ifs. I am thinking that maybe the ensigned pilot transferred his authority of command to one those weirdos before he died and it could not be passed to Ledo. Now, it is being used for their own benefit while it continues to do its top priority of annihilating the Hideaze.
There's no such thing as an order that can't be canceled in regular military protocols.
As the highest ranked official Ledo would still have the authority to cancel any preexisting orders.

Old 2013-06-11, 10:13   Link #159
hyperborealis
Lost at Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post

If the Hideauze have become incapable of that, as Chamber suggests, then there is simply no justification to their ways. Foregoing the ability to communicate and compromise with other intelligent species is absolutely inexcusable.

If, however, the Hideauze, or the ones in charge, still have intelligence and the ability to consider concepts such as "sustainable development", "peace agreements" and such, then both factions are at fault for not even trying to settle their disputes.
Since in the current state both factions are threatening each other's existences, a peaceful agreement would be the most safe "survival strategy" for both.
They may have both evolved to become symbiotically defined by the other's aggression. In this case war is their life. Peace would be mutual death, and victory, suicide.

They are the bad guys, since with Ledo & Kugel's arrival, they will inexorably sweep Gargantia into their endless and unendable war.

I expect Ledo to fight to keep them both out. Ledo = Hagino from Blue Drop.

A Blossoming Flower in the Snowy Winter
Old 2013-06-11, 11:55   Link #160
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post

It actually kind of reminds me of the difference between the aliens in ID4 vs. something like the Xenomorphs of Aliens.

The ID4 aliens have the capacity to communicate and are quite sentient and sapient, however even with peace being offered to them, they want no part of it and simply want to exterminate humans for their own gain.

And then there's the Xenomorphs who do seem to have some level of intelligence but are more animalistic and run mostly on instincts. They have no way to understand or communicate with humans and will kill any human (unless they are a host) they come across.

The Hideauze could be either case; in one case, peace could be potentially possible, and in the other it could never be possible. With one side the destruction of the entire Hideauze race is a possibility if the Hideauze don't care to have peace at all. However, if it's the second option, then taking out the entire race becomes a necessity.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Closed Thread