Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-08-05, 09:35   Link #161
kyouray
2D > 3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alhazred View Post
When Benten and Yasaburo confirmed that he was a tanuki the Friday Fellows may have thought they were making a joke, given Yasaburo's excellent 'transformation show.' They were amazed by how well it was done, which they shouldn't have been if they really believed that magical, shape-shifting tanuki actually existed. The tanuki is an actual animal (distantly related to dogs), so i'm thinking that (plus folklore on how they can change shape) is probably the limit of their knowledge on the subject.
That makes sense
Quote:
Originally Posted by nojay View Post
It looks like there are two worlds, the mundane world and the supernatural world and they don't intersect much unless the supernatural creatures like the tanuki or tengu intend it.
Yeah there's this split between two worlds since tanukis and tengu are considered as folklore stuff. They seem to hide their real existence since tanukis are still eaten and Yasaburo hide his shapeshifting. There're probably things humans can't see as you says since it's impossible some events went unnoticed.
However I'm curious how they interact each other because Yasaburo says they maintain a balance.
Old 2013-08-05, 09:51   Link #162
Fevvers
a regular van veen

This is the only show since Shinsekai Yori (for the past few seasons) that I honestly cannot deny has been getting better as each episode pass. The fleeting sense of melancholia that has pervaded since the beginning of the show which is strongest in that scene between Benten and Yasaburo underneath the moon, was fantastically directed. Ahh..

...Still in a blissful state right now as shows like this get rarely done, the characters don't even feel like anime characters for one thing (well, maybe except for Kaisei who sounds like the typical tsundere, hopefully that's just due to the voice acting.. we'll see).

Also, props to the mention of Junichiro Tanizaki (who incidentally has a lot of works that portray the dynamics of family life and destructive erotic obsessions)!

Last edited by Fevvers; 2013-08-05 at 10:34.
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-05, 10:29   Link #163
Alhazred

Speaking of Kaisei, i really hope that not giving her a 'human face' yet is a setup for an interesting reveal and not a 'death flag' hinting that she will be the one that ends up in the pot next month.
Alhazred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-05, 19:43   Link #164
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Benten is the most attractive woman of the season. There's something about her that makes her terribly alluring. I'm curious to find out more about her. She remains very mysterious.
She's a femme fatale, you better watch out for those types Kanon.

But I have to say as a woman I like her a lot too. A great female character who isn't typical at all.
Old 2013-08-06, 02:43   Link #165
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
I want to see Benten and Yasaboru as a couple... though it sounds ridiculous...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 04:21   Link #166
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
What about Benten flying out the window though? That's what gives me pause about assuming the Friday Fellows really don't know anything about the supernatural.
Well, there's also the matter of how a human can fly in the first place. Benten is quite the enigma. I realize now that she's called that because of her position in the Friday Fellows, since they're each named after a god.

But this episode appears to show that at least some of them don't really know that "real" tanuki exist, and that some of them are actually bothered by eating it for the yearly pot. The fact that Benten covered him up as he was transforming seems to reinforce that revealing his real nature would be troublesome.

I'm wondering if they even eat tanuki every year after all, or if they just think they do. It's notable that none of the tanuki community has been mentioned as a victim outside of the father, who is also held up as this incredible tanuki that could turn into a mountain and beat up an entire faction of Tengu without breaking a sweat. It's possible that there are several stories going on that are larger than life.

In the end I expect that the answers to the questions will be more simple and understated than they were built up to be.
Old 2013-08-06, 06:35   Link #167
Key Board
Carbon

if Hannibal Lecter ever wrote a romance anime, it would be this

It's just so unsettling yet intriguing
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 07:52   Link #168
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
I realize now that she's called that because of her position in the Friday Fellows, since they're each named after a god.
Except that as far as we know Benten was called Benten before she joined the Friday Fellows. No one who knew her before she joined (for example, the Professor and Yasaboru) calls her by any other name.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 09:05   Link #169
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Except that as far as we know Benten was called Benten before she joined the Friday Fellows. No one who knew her before she joined (for example, the Professor and Yasaboru) calls her by any other name.
True, and that adds to her enigma I think. The flashback does introduce her with a normal name (Suzuki Satomi), so I guess the question is when she assumed the Benten name.

I am having a bit of trouble wrapping my head around the timeline however. The end credits seem to tell a story in Benten's demeanor as she ages, and she seems to be someone who seeks things that are interesting or amusing. Whimsical, even. I'm really curious about what happened in the past that led from the Benten then, who seemed so innocent, to the Benten now, who commands so much power and is treated as fearsome if enigmatic.
Old 2013-08-06, 09:32   Link #170
D-KLAC
KLAC OF THE ANIME WORLD

the more i keep watching this more wonder can we spin-off series with ben10 as the lead?

really she been total show-stealer to watch give hmm wonder why name is benten give same name of certain you know who voice by yuri lowenthal since alien force.

indeed who or what is this ben10 female?

& oh we finally meet friday people yet seem hmm fine give wonder how eat dad on the main tanuki family?
YOU EITHER ANIME NEXUS http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 OR AGAINST THE ANIME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WFM...eature=related
KLAC OF PERSONALITY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqyG8w0iMPw
D-KLAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 11:53   Link #171
LKK

Quote:
I am having a bit of trouble wrapping my head around the timeline however. The end credits seem to tell a story in Benten's demeanor as she ages, and she seems to be someone who seeks things that are interesting or amusing. Whimsical, even. I'm really curious about what happened in the past that led from the Benten then, who seemed so innocent, to the Benten now, who commands so much power and is treated as fearsome if enigmatic.
I've been trying to work out the timeline too. Maybe we threadees should put our heads together and work out a timeline? I'll start with a time point from this episode.

Benten said that she joined the Friday Fellows in the year that Father was eaten. He was her first tanuki hot pot. I know it's been mentioned how long ago Father was eaten. Anyone remember without needing to rewatch the previous episodes?

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 12:28   Link #172
Shadow5YA

Quote:
True, and that adds to her enigma I think. The flashback does introduce her with a normal name (Suzuki Satomi), so I guess the question is when she assumed the Benten name.

The bigger hint is from Akadama, who says "I just want to see her smile!" when he admits that he gave the teahouse and Fujin-Raijin fan away to her.

Sure, it could just be excuses, but what if it was more than that?
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 19:57   Link #173
Used Can

The way I see the issue with the FF guys is that they either have no idea the tanuki actually have magical powers, or they know but simply don't care about that, and eat them because of tradition.

I think the former would raise some questions, like why don't the tanuki expose themselves to humans and try to get some rights?

Anyhow, considering Uchouten Kazoku is only the first book in the Tanuki Series, and what's left are just some chapters that were released in magazines but were never compiled and that the author doen't seem to have written a new chapter in quite some time, it makes me wonder if we'll ever see the ending to this story.
Old 2013-08-06, 21:39   Link #174
gaiar31

very good anime for me.
gaiar31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-07, 10:15   Link #175
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

the way the 3rd son described benten and when she was saying "so sad, so sad" means that someone is going to die soon.

also, there's quite a back story as to how their father got eaten. these stories have been set up as to have some kind of a big exploit behind them, like how their father transformed into a mountain. I'm sure there's a reason (and an epic story behind) why he was eaten by the FF.

unless i'm wrong, and if that's the case then I'll be quite disappointed.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-07, 10:36   Link #176
hyperborealis
Lost at Sea

Benten is in love with Yasaburo. Her fate is therefore set--both not to have the person she loves (Yasaburo, while also in love with her, seems to shy to do anything about it), and to lose him eventually should she finally get him. The folklore and mythology are trappings upon an ordinary human story.

Perhaps that is what makes Benten human--that she recognizes her fate, feels her melancholy. Conversely, that may also be what makes Yasaburo a tanuki--he is only aware of living day to day, and staying away from that hot pot.

I wonder how the father got eaten, since he was so powerful and respected. Was it a choice, a self-sacrifice?

A Blossoming Flower in the Snowy Winter
hyperborealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-07, 12:00   Link #177
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperborealis View Post
Yasaburo, while also in love with her, seems to shy to do anything about it
I don't think Yasaburo realizes that Benten likes him. Even if she did say it, he can't really take it seriously since she teases him all the time.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-09, 02:29   Link #178
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Tanuki. It's Super Mario 3 again!

I just started and say that Benten is very interesting, due to her perma-trollface buff. It also marks the return of a much beloved Mamiko Noto. Also, the directing and visual style is very strong, in that it really strikes me as a distinct style with allegedly more stuff going on.

It's like if PA works was trying to be like Shaft, minus the $36 budget and schedule printed on a napkin.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-10, 13:23   Link #179
cyth
Banned

For the record, I don't believe Yasaburou nor Benten are in love with one another. I take it more as a "you're a part of my fate and I'm part of yours, we should try to understand each other while we have the chance, no matter what may happen between us later."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
The way I see the issue with the FF guys is that they either have no idea the tanuki actually have magical powers, or they know but simply don't care about that, and eat them because of tradition.
I always thought of tanuki and tengu being common knowledge to humans, they just tend to shy away from their affairs. It's like some city folk will never see a real life pig, but they know they exist, that they are very intelligent beings, but they will eat pork nonetheless. Both tanuki and humans accept that sometimes tanuki end up in hotpots. It's simply a thing in their world.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-11, 13:57   Link #180
Dop
Mmmm....

Spoiler for episode 6:
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
p.a. works