AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-09-12, 20:34   Link #41
ddwkc
Lone Wolf

Send a message via MSN to ddwkc
As a Korean myself, I would like to see more Koreans being portrayed in anime shows, being it a stereotype or not.

About stereotypes, I only have a grip against black stereotypes in anime. It's not like Americans shows are helping either is this department.
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
ddwkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-12, 20:51   Link #42
Intranetusa
Pedites Extraordinarii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami~n View Post
Now, how about black/african american people at the rare times they're portrayed in anime? Has anyone noticed a stereotype for them?
Well, the average Japanese most likely have little contact with black people.

and James in Blood+ was positively portrayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddwkc View Post
As a Korean myself, I would like to see more Koreans being portrayed in anime shows, being it a stereotype or not..
In the early 1900s, Japanese propaganda posters showed Japanese soldiers as tall, white skinned, and looked very 'western' - whereas they had posters portraying Chinese, Koreans, and even Russians as darker skinned and 'squint eyed.'
Intranetusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-13, 07:38   Link #43
Aretsugu no Kimi

I personally think that black people are relatively treated well. There are many good black characters in Anime. It is Hispanic whom I regard as less highly treated. They are not portrayed as negative people. But I have seldom seen them in Anime, though Japan is really known for friendly relation with Argentina, Brazil, Peru and so on.
Aretsugu no Kimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-13, 10:20   Link #44
MikoKikyo

The category of "Hispanic" is an American thing isn't it? Meaning that in other parts of the world, people from Latin American aren't seen as this separate race called "Hispanics" but just different geographically... Correct me if I'm wrong but that would explain why they're not portrayed specifically as a separate "kind" in anime
MikoKikyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-14, 13:24   Link #45
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
There were a few Korean bridge bunnies I think, but I can only remember Hyo-Jin Yun from Super Robot Wars, or its anime Divine Wars.

I'd like to point out 'Chinatans' though. Why are they always so hot lol, can anyone point out one chinese lady that isn't pretty?

You see: Wang Liu Mei, Gin Rei, Li Mei Ling, Rio Meilong, Lin Minmei, Chun Li, Kuraudoberi Jam etc.
As for Korean bridge bunnies I could think of one from Tylor, Rahxephon, and SRW. Can't really think of any Chinese lady who were ugly in anime, then again in anime ugly female characters tend to be very rare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aretsugu no Kimi View Post
I forgot it. I'll make the excuse, saying that BL is full with villains of various nationalities, not only Russia.

I have heard the detailed explanation why there are very few Korean characters in Anime. In short, Japanese are afraid of protest by Korean themselves.

"Hikaru no Go" is probably the most famous anime series in which Koreans appear. In this series, however, they were portrayed as antagonists, though they had some honesty. And then some Korean people living in Japan violently protested this anime. So every Japanese writer or creater were shocked and began to refrain from portraying Korean characters as not only antagonists but also protagonists and such. That is why Koreans are excluded from Anime world. Currently, it is taboo to get Korean characters to appear in anime or manga as well as Japanese Emperor.

In defence of Koreans, I say that many Korean people are not so irritable and they did tolerate Korean portrayal of "Hikaru no Go".
I never knew that that was the reason why Koreans in anime were practically none. I would like to see more Korean in anime and I did like the portrayal of characters in Hikaru no Go. As long as they don't too much stereotype I don't mind if some appears.
Old 2008-09-18, 07:05   Link #46
stelok
I My Me Strawberry Eggs

Send a message via ICQ to stelok Send a message via AIM to stelok Send a message via MSN to stelok Send a message via Yahoo to stelok
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Are you including Black Lagoon's Balalaika in this category? She does display courtesy (often before shooting someone in the head), and she was certainly courageous while leading her forces in Afghanistan, but she's hardly a nice person by any stretch of the imagination.
Spoiler for BL ep 19-24:
And don't forget Maria from Sakura Taisen

Russians like Maria (Sakura Taisen) and Balalaika (Black Lagoon) are generally portrayed as courteous, cold, apathetic, calculating and militaristic/military-conscious.

Quote:
I forgot it. I'll make the excuse, saying that BL is full with villains of various nationalities, not only Russia.

I have heard the detailed explanation why there are very few Korean characters in Anime. In short, Japanese are afraid of protest by Korean themselves.

"Hikaru no Go" is probably the most famous anime series in which Koreans appear. In this series, however, they were portrayed as antagonists, though they had some honesty. And then some Korean people living in Japan violently protested this anime. So every Japanese writer or creater were shocked and began to refrain from portraying Korean characters as not only antagonists but also protagonists and such. That is why Koreans are excluded from Anime world. Currently, it is taboo to get Korean characters to appear in anime or manga as well as Japanese Emperor.

In defence of Koreans, I say that many Korean people are not so irritable and they did tolerate Korean portrayal of "Hikaru no Go".
Ah..... I thought the lack of Koreans in anime was because of poor Japan-North Korea relations.

But then Japan-China relations were somewhat sour as well over Japanese government's denial of its war crimes against Chinese.

But I once thought the reason many Chinese characters such as Li Syaoran (Card Captor Sakura), Hei/Li Shengshen (Darker Than Black), Lee Bailong (Shaman King), and Tao Ren (Shaman King) were portrayed as angry, impulsive, hot-tempered, apathetic and bitter persons was because the Chinese's bitter resentment and arrogance left a big impression on the Japanese.

Last edited by stelok; 2008-09-18 at 07:29. Reason: Adding another quote.
stelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-18, 13:04   Link #47
babybro

Quote:
I personally think that black people are relatively treated well. There are many good black characters in Anime. It is Hispanic whom I regard as less highly treated. They are not portrayed as negative people. But I have seldom seen them in Anime, though Japan is really known for friendly relation with Argentina, Brazil, Peru and so on.

Well we can agree to disagree, but many good black characters is definitely pushing it. While they're are a select few, they are FAR from the actual normal that exist within the Anime spectrum.

After seeing the fodder killer bee on Naruto, I officially gave up on diversity in manga/anime. For that, I read American comics.
babybro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-18, 13:38   Link #48
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Why has no one mentioned Jody Rockwell from Yawara? Blasphemy!

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-18, 18:55   Link #49
Intranetusa
Pedites Extraordinarii

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikoKikyo View Post
The category of "Hispanic" is an American thing isn't it? Meaning that in other parts of the world, people from Latin American aren't seen as this separate race called "Hispanics" but just different geographically... Correct me if I'm wrong but that would explain why they're not portrayed specifically as a separate "kind" in anime
Hispanic = anyone who speaks Spanish
Spanish = someone from Spain
Latino = someone from Latin America
Intranetusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-18, 19:36   Link #50
Xhokhusmak

Going by this thread, Monster has to be the best anime ever. XD

and does anybody have examples of hot black anime girls? I don't remember seeing a sweet chocolate portrayed, ever. No I don't want a black girl with an afro talking in jive, even if she was hot.
Xhokhusmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-19, 00:41   Link #51
babybro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xhokhusmak View Post

and does anybody have examples of hot black anime girls? I don't remember seeing a sweet chocolate portrayed, ever. No I don't want a black girl with an afro talking in jive, even if she was hot.

Nope, none come to my mind. The only non stereotypical black girl I've seen from along that lines is the girl from RE5. She is based off of an biracial lady from Australia I believe, but the character herself looks full African. She's pretty hot in an artistic, 3-D style way I guess.
Old 2008-09-19, 01:59   Link #52
FateAnomaly

Stereotyping isn't that bad, at least it means there is something interesting about them. Its better than not being represented at all like Singaporeans.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-19, 02:23   Link #53
X10A_Freedom

ARIA mixed a fair bit of races but gave them an "aria-esque" personality rather than anything related to real world.

Going by the names, the ARIA cast could be comprised of:
Japanese (Akari, Ai, Postman, Grandma, Akatsuki)
Italian (Alicia)
Chinese-Italian (Aika)
Japanese-Italian (Akira)
African-British/American (Athena)
English? (Alice)
http://veniceorigination.blogspot.com
X10A_Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-19, 04:36   Link #54
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
Stereotyping isn't that bad, at least it means there is something interesting about them. Its better than not being represented at all like Singaporeans.
Its better to keep our Singaporean behavious to ourselves lol

The only stereotypes we can produce would be pretty ugly lol
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-19, 13:19   Link #55
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybro View Post
Oh and anime shows definitely don't just spark minor problems from overseas. I'm not sure if anyone heard about this yet, but the writers from jo jo adventurers "accidentally" used the Koran as a terrorist book.
No it wasn't. In the manga, it was just some random book. In the anime, they changed it into the Koran but why a BRITISH vampire passing the time reading it briefly without any real reaction somehow=terrorist book is beyond me.
Old 2008-09-20, 21:14   Link #56
Aretsugu no Kimi

Japan is very intimate with Islam countries where is not only Southeast Asia but also Central/West Asia and Africa.
I can never believe such nation have had hostility against Qur'an.
Aretsugu no Kimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-21, 18:05   Link #57
animeboy12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xhokhusmak View Post

april from darker than black
yoruichi from bleach
Claudia LaSalle from Macross

Last edited by animeboy12; 2008-09-21 at 20:12.
animeboy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-22, 01:03   Link #58
babybro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Devil View Post
No it wasn't. In the manga, it was just some random book. In the anime, they changed it into the Koran but why a BRITISH vampire passing the time reading it briefly without any real reaction somehow=terrorist book is beyond me.
I did not state it was from a manga I do not believe. I just stated it was in jo jo adventurers, which indeed was correct. Here is an article dedicated towards it.

Quote:
apan Publisher Apologizes For 'Inappropriate Use' Of Koran
23.05.08 16:31

A Japanese publisher apologized Thursday for "inappropriate use" of the Koran in a popular fantasy cartoon series in which a villain is seen holding the Muslim holy book, reported AFP.

Publishing house Shueisha said images from the Koran were unintentionally added to give a sense of authenticity to a scene in "Jojo's Bizarre Adventure".

The cartoon is based on a manga comic, which has sold 70 million copies in Japan alone.

The comic book, however, did not use any image of the Koran, although it had a battle scene inside a mosque, a spokeswoman for the publisher said.

Shueisha and an animation production firm stopped shipping the comic books, DVDs and videos containing images of the Koran and the mosque battle, she said.

"Our in-house reviews of the work have led us to take action for the inappropriate use of the Koran, which we realize is extremely sacred," the spokeswoman said.

In a joint statement with the animation firm, Shueisha said: "We sincerely apologize to Muslim people for causing offense." Comics from the "Jojo's Bizarre Adventure" series have been published in various parts of the world, including North America, Europe and Asia.

The comics are not officially translated into Arabic, but the company is aware of criticism among Arabic speakers about the scenes, the spokeswoman said.

http://news.trendaz.com/index.shtml?...206785&lang=EN
As for not understanding, more than likely, you'll have to be muslim to understand why it could be seen as offensive. It's very hard for an outside person to look and an be able to judge something to be offensive with they have little to no information about topic at hand originally (topic regarding to Koran and Muslim)
Old 2008-09-22, 02:29   Link #59
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Pardon, but anyone else know the names of the other Korean characters in the SRW series aside from Hyo-Jin Yun? Thanks.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-22, 03:14   Link #60
Xhokhusmak

Quote:
Originally Posted by animeboy12 View Post
april from darker than black
yoruichi from bleach
Claudia LaSalle from Macross
I guess you win on technicality that Yoruichi is black, but that's not exactly what I meant.

I looked up the other two and... they be hurtin' =\
Xhokhusmak is offline   Reply With Quote