AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2008-12-29, 11:57   Link #801
Avisch
Reality Blender

We have to wait a month god forbid
Best news yet.

One crazy B****
Avisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-29, 14:12   Link #802
The Creator
Golden Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Yes, we will obviously have our copy (mine is already pre ordered, and I think chrono's as well). Speaking of which, C75 just started like 1h30 ago, so it is pretty fresh.

Meanwhile, for some good and bad news.
Let's see, me having the same preference like Rudolf's for dessert after a fight, the bad news:
we didn't make for the most optimist deadline: Episode 3 won't be ready for 2008 (until we have a Bernkastel type of miracle).

Now, the good news: we finished everything but chapter 17 (tea parties included). The thing is chapter 17 is so ridiculously big (and tricky) that it worth 15% of the whole episode.
For that matter, Chrono is working with Peroyasha on it for the moment. That means we will still most likely release the full patch for early/mid january.
We love you people, mid january is still damn good , the only bad thing about that is that we'll have to wait lots of months for episode 4 xD
The Creator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-29, 14:28   Link #803
Nabiki Asakura
Order Maiden
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Nabiki Asakura
I'm happy, since I'll travel tomorrow and just back february, the epi 3 will be alredy finished when i back S2

Nabiki Asakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-29, 16:28   Link #804
lovelysan
Umineko and Mabinogi fan~

Yeah, as many others have said, having the release in January is plenty impressive. The Witch Hunt team never ceases to amaze me. *claps*

I can't beleive you guys were at first aiming for a December release though. What with the holidays and all. You guys must of been killing yourselves trying to meet that deadline!

That said, nice work on the site . Now I have one easy place to reference people to when they show interest in the series.
....and even if they don't >D !
lovelysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-29, 18:28   Link #805
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurius View Post
But man, 15% all in one chapter? If there's only one downside to Umineko (very minor, notbadatallIshouldbeburnedaliveforevenmentioningit ), is it can get quite brutal with the length sometimes. And all those cliffhanger chapter ends don't help.
You know what's funny with this? Chapter 17 is thrice bigger than the biggest chapter in episode 2. That pretty much gives away how consistent it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelysan View Post
I can't beleive you guys were at first aiming for a December release though. What with the holidays and all. You guys must of been killing yourselves trying to meet that deadline!

That said, nice work on the site . Now I have one easy place to reference people to when they show interest in the series.
....and even if they don't >D !
The biggest problem now is... not to be sidetracked as we are impatiently waiting for episode 4
We are still working on it, with our pace, in order to not strain ourselves (especially our madman, chrono) and limit the blunders here and there (i still can remember of that hideous glitch of the first full patch of ep1).

Ah and thanks for the comment of the site. Chrono was like spending quite some time to figure the structure while I was mushing my brain trying to find a proper design to craft around umineko (sorry chrono, I know I was VERY picky with the color font and the font of the text ).
It is sad that we are forced to put these silly ads... we might get rid of them if the circumstances allow that.
Old 2008-12-30, 21:55   Link #806
Christen
Endless Nine
*Artist

May I suggest that you include information on running the game with Japanese regional settings/applocale in the website? This would be an important step.
Christen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-30, 23:20   Link #807
Mercurius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christen View Post
May I suggest that you include information on running the game with Japanese regional settings/applocale in the website? This would be an important step.
The only place that I needed applocale was when I was running the setup.exe from the game disc to install the game. Once the game's installed and patched, you should be able to run Onscripter without needing Japanese regional settings or applocale. At least, that's been my experience, ymmv.
Mercurius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-31, 00:56   Link #808
MarthX

If you don't run onscripter with applocale, it won't be able to read the Japanese file names. (That's assuming your non unicode isn't set to Japanese.) You'll miss on about 20 BGM tracks and a lot of sound effects. The game doesn't crash when it can't read the file, it simply plays nothing. A lot of scenes will have silence when they aren't supposed to.
MarthX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-31, 13:59   Link #809
Mercurius

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarthX View Post
If you don't run onscripter with applocale, it won't be able to read the Japanese file names. (That's assuming your non unicode isn't set to Japanese.) You'll miss on about 20 BGM tracks and a lot of sound effects. The game doesn't crash when it can't read the file, it simply plays nothing. A lot of scenes will have silence when they aren't supposed to.
OMG, now THAT's something I wish I had known. I thought it was odd that there were so many silent spots in the game, but it happened on both the original .exe and the patched version so I didn't investigate further. Didn't think to try either with Onscripter. Argh, I feel so stupid now. Kinda wish the game would crash so I wouldn't have ignored the silence and would've tried applocale.

Guess I'll need to go back through EP 1 & 2 again for the missing tracks. It is a SOUND novel afterall.
Mercurius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-31, 14:19   Link #810
Christen
Endless Nine
*Artist

Ah btw, I don't know if it's the case for eveyrone but when I installed on English non unicode, all of the files that start with Japanese characters weren't copied to the game folder so I had to manually copy them.
Old 2009-01-01, 02:17   Link #811
UnknownBeast

Quote:
Quote:
OMG, now THAT's something I wish I had known. I thought it was odd that there were so many silent spots in the game, but it happened on both the original .exe and the patched version so I didn't investigate further. Didn't think to try either with Onscripter. Argh, I feel so stupid now. Kinda wish the game would crash so I wouldn't have ignored the silence and would've tried applocale.

Guess I'll need to go back through EP 1 & 2 again for the missing tracks. It is a SOUND novel afterall.
I think you guys, Witch-Hunt, should add this in the readme.
And you should make the readme in .doc too, like the Grimoires, so you can use bold, italic so these important infos wont be accidentally skipped.
Because a guy in a forum I frequent had this happen to him too.

Last edited by UnknownBeast; 2009-01-01 at 02:24. Reason: additional info
UnknownBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-01, 14:22   Link #812
Orophin

I wanted to buy Ep. 4 from Himeyashop until I saw the shipping cost.

Please, tell me I can pick EMS for Canada too and not only UPS because 105$ for the shipping is just ridiculous.
Orophin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-01, 14:34   Link #813
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orophin View Post
I wanted to buy Ep. 4 from Himeyashop until I saw the shipping cost.

Please, tell me I can pick EMS for Canada too and not only UPS because 105$ for the shipping is just ridiculous.
Just get it from Palet Web
Old 2009-01-01, 14:40   Link #814
Orophin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling01 View Post
Just get it from Palet Web
Thanks but the problem is that I also want to buy Higurashi and they don't seem to have them anymore. It's not the first time I checked on Palet Web and they're always sold out.

EDIT: I tried to buy form Himeya and it seems I can choose EMS. The shipping will cost a total of 31$ for the four sound novels so it's not that bad.
Orophin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-01, 14:43   Link #815
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orophin View Post
Thanks but the problem is that I also want to buy Higurashi and they don't seem to have them anymore. It's not the first time I checked on Palet Web and they're always sold out.
In order for them to restock you have to request the item
Old 2009-01-01, 18:42   Link #816
DaCyclops
Freshly Exiled Zero

You may want to be carefull about using Applocale - Some of my experiments with it have been less then successful. I still need to get a good test going, but I have had applocale cause bad installs with the Higurashi/Umineko installer.

For installing, I would either recommend the standard unicode region and standard install, or a manual install by copy the files where they need to go (it is possible, but a bit technical). You also need the Japanese support enabled, of course.

For running, all you need is Japanese support enabled. No need to have the unicode region changed for this.

Im gonna put this all through as a detailed test one day, on a clean system... hmm, today is a quiet day at work....
DaCyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-01, 18:57   Link #817
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
In most cases you shouldn't need Applocale, changing your computer to Jap usually won't bother you. And in most cases its easier if you intend to play other doujin games.

Also, Happy Birthday to Sterling!

Credit To Risa-chan!
ClockWorkAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-01, 19:58   Link #818
DaCyclops
Freshly Exiled Zero

Yep, just confirmed it. When I installed with Applocale, there were 52 files missing, including...
  • The original EXE and Readme files
  • A chunk of the Background music
  • A fair chunk of sound effects
It appears to not include any file starting with a Japanese character, except in the case where its the first file in the folder. It has no problem with Japanese characters part way into the name.

Do not install Umineko or Higurashi (same installer) using Microsoft Applocale. It will not install all files correctly. Change your system locale and restart as normal.

really should finish off that install guide for Higurashi I started ages ago (will work for Umineko too)

EDIT: And Happy Birthday Sterling!
DaCyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-01, 23:03   Link #819
Christen
Endless Nine
*Artist

I second DaCyclops, I found that out after the discussions in the music thread about BGMs that I haven't heard. This can be fixed by manually copying the files.

But again, the best way is to set the computer to Japanese regional settings.

Happy Birthday Sterling!
Old 2009-01-02, 20:56   Link #820
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownBeast View Post
I think you guys, Witch-Hunt, should add this in the readme.
And you should make the readme in .doc too, like the Grimoires, so you can use bold, italic so these important infos wont be accidentally skipped.
Because a guy in a forum I frequent had this happen to him too.
Indeed, we actually knew about this bug, though without trying to give much excuse, we simply omitted it due to more "important" problems and priorities and it quickly got sidetracked. Our sincere apologies.

This will be stated in the read.me file and indeed, thinking back about it, using txt file for readme might be oldfashioned, especially that copying the format of the rest of the translations group isn't a necessity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikachiru View Post
I bought Umineko vol. 4 from Himeyashop.com. So do I have to wait for a vol. 4 patch to be made to play the previous episodes or can I use the vol 3 patch?
We are currently working on a functional patch for episode 4 as well, though Ryukishi had the "great" idea to convert almost all pictures of the previous episodes into BMP... Which means that you will see a substancial increase of size for episode 4 patch.
Therefore, I suggest you not to read umineko from episode 4 game with our episode 3 patch, as it is certain you will encounter some glitches or missing files.
But it is probably functional either way, but we can't be sure the extent of that.

Tags
translation