AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2012-05-27, 07:29   Link #261
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I think that's a fair assessment of how Gen is handling a few key characters in Fate/Zero.

However, I don't think that it applies much to Sayaka.

She certainly didn't strike as an abnormal person
Sayaka simply crashed through the normal-> abnormal-> destruction process a lot faster than most other characters he put through this situation. After Hitomi's ultimatum, she decided to forsake everything for her ideal of saving people by killing witches, including her own preservation. About a day and a half later, she's confronted with the fact that, among the faceless masses she's trying to protect, are those that don't deserve her protection.
Now, an adult with more experience with disappointments in life would have just shrugged her shoulders and moved on. But for Sayaka, that knocked out the last pillar holding up anything good in her world, and so she fell to dispair.
If the series were longer, several episodes could be dedicated to her growing fanaticism and subsequent desctruction, and you would be able to tell she was changing from normal to abnormal. As it was, they only had ep8 and a few minutes in ep7 to show her becoming fanatical and then destroying herself.

I don't disagree with what you said though.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 07:49   Link #262
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
Sayaka simply crashed through the normal-> abnormal-> destruction process a lot faster than most other characters he put through this situation. After Hitomi's ultimatum, she decided to forsake everything for her ideal of saving people by killing witches, including her own preservation. About a day and a half later, she's confronted with the fact that, among the faceless masses she's trying to protect, are those that don't deserve her protection.
Now, an adult with more experience with disappointments in life would have just shrugged her shoulders and moved on. But for Sayaka, that knocked out the last pillar holding up anything good in her world, and so she fell to dispair.
If the series were longer, several episodes could be dedicated to her growing fanaticism and subsequent desctruction, and you would be able to tell she was changing from normal to abnormal. As it was, they only had ep8 and a few minutes in ep7 to show her becoming fanatical and then destroying herself.
I do see your point here, yeah.

Sayaka's villain-style laughter at the end of Episode 7 was clearly meant to show that she had psychologically snapped, and her mind was in a very bad place. You're right that Hitomi's ultimatum was the key "final straw" that pushed Sayaka from normal to abnormal, and that scene with the two guys on the train did knock down the one pillar still left to support her.
Old 2012-07-03, 12:43   Link #263
Jimmy C

I'm looking for confirmation on an item I recently heard about. It said that, according to the PSP game, Mami's muskets are made from her ribbons. I'd like to know where in the game is this revealed, in case I need to talk about this to other people.
Old 2012-07-03, 12:55   Link #264
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
It's in Mami's route, in a flashback about one of her first fights. A boy is taken by a witch, and she fails to rescue him. At the time, she could only use her ribbons, so afterwards she experiments and figures out how to make her muskets out of them.

She even mentions that she attempted to make more complicated guns to no success. It seems anything more complex than a musket can't be created with her magic, since she needs to understand what she's making inside and out. The implication is that her ribbons can make anything so long as she understands how it works, which explains her modification to Sayaka's bat in episode 2.
Old 2012-07-03, 13:41   Link #265
Jimmy C

Most helpful, thanks.
Edit: It seems to me Mami should be able to create repeating firearms with some research and experimentation. The key would be not to base the design on real-world examples.

Last edited by Jimmy C; 2012-07-03 at 14:36.
Old 2012-07-04, 00:42   Link #266
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Indeed. The problem seems to be that she has to imagine the whole process internally, so she can't make anything she can't create if you gave her the physical tools and know-how to construct.

She can't make a computer to do the thinking for her, for example, but she can make an abacus.
Old 2012-07-14, 14:11   Link #267
SRanger
Remember, no moe.

is there someone working on a translation patch for this? I could of sworn someone told me that the guy who helped translate some of the S;G games is working on this
Old 2012-07-14, 19:38   Link #268
GDB

Yes, people are. Not sure if it's the same as the SG people or not.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 20:22   Link #269
1337_haxor

Cool Well...

You think they will ever make a DLC for it?
1337_haxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 00:34   Link #270
SRanger
Remember, no moe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337_haxor View Post
You think they will ever make a DLC for it?
I doubt it

referring to this man

http://e17time.blogspot.com/p/madoka-psp.html
Old 2012-07-15, 02:18   Link #271
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Wish someone would translate the route.

Lol at the names.
Old 2012-07-15, 06:37   Link #272
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

the are a group translating the game here
Old 2012-07-15, 10:15   Link #273
MartianMage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
It's in Mami's route, in a flashback about one of her first fights. A boy is taken by a witch, and she fails to rescue him. At the time, she could only use her ribbons, so afterwards she experiments and figures out how to make her muskets out of them.
Makes me wonder how she killed her first few witches with just ribbons x_X
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 10:26   Link #274
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartianMage View Post
Makes me wonder how she killed her first few witches with just ribbons x_X
choke the witch to death of course
Old 2012-07-15, 11:38   Link #275
Jimmy C

Or wrap them up and smash them around until they fall apart.
That would be so inefficient, it's no wonder she looked for something better.
Old 2012-07-15, 14:23   Link #276
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

I always imagined the ribbons were razor sharp when she willed them to be.
Old 2012-07-15, 16:29   Link #277
1337_haxor

Cool Well...

I presume Mami used whip like attacks to attack familiars.

It was said in the game it was her first time fighting a full fledged witch, she probably would have died if she didn't retreat and learn to create more powerful weapons.

Whip type attacks are useful to knock enemies around in large number, however, they do not pack killing power.

Mami would have to strangle the witch or whip her until she starts ripping out bits from the witch's flesh.

It is a bad starter weapon, whereas Kyoko started with a flame that creates illusions and Sayaka got a cutlass and beserker regeneration right out of the bat, Mami got all lame.

If this was pokemon, Mami would be the plant starter, Kyoko would be the fire starter and Sayaka would be the water starter.

The first begins the most lame but later becomes broken with fricking solar beam and an arsenal of abilities.

The second begins broken and remain averagely broken until the very end.

The third begins broken but gets nerfed on the long run, it usually ends low on attack but with considerable life.
1337_haxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 22:22   Link #278
VampirePaladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
2) Gen, as we all know, is a "darker themed" writer. Basically, he takes a more skeptical view to happiness and happy endings than probably most of us do. My sense is that the overall Madoka Magica ending was probably pushing it for Gen even as it was (i.e. I recall Gen comparing what he wrote to the ending of one of the PreCure endings, and Gen saying "Is my heart really that dirty?"; I think what Gen meant by that is actually "Is my heart so dirty that I now long for happy endings myself?"). Gen probably felt that to be true to his own view of the world, and to be true to his own creative vision, he had to have at least some stark sadness in the Madoka Magica ending. Some major character had to come out of it drenched in melancholy. That character ended up being Sayaka...
About the comparison to Pretty Cure endings...

Spoiler for Spoilers for Heartcatch Pretty Cure:

I personally wish that there had been a Hitomi route in the game. It would have been interesting to play as an outsider. It would also would be interesting to see what would have happened if Hitomi was magical girl and Sayaka was normal.
VampirePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 23:16   Link #279
MartianMage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori View Post
choke the witch to death of course
I dunno buuut it never really occurred to me that witches even need to breathe

As for the pokemon analogy... I always picked the fire one... Never knew plant is broken later on.
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 00:35   Link #280
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
lol I use Infernape the crazy fast glass hit and run cannon.

Anyway.....

What happened to the poor kid (Mami route)? Did his head get eaten too?