AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-05-07, 16:11   Link #1
T-6000

Wolfenstein: The new Order announced.

I just came back from work, I turn on my internet PC, scroll through Blues News, and what do I see that becomes one of the most surprising game announcements of the year for me? Why, a new Wolfenstein game entitled "Wolfenstein: The new Order." Hell, I'm still trying to place my eyeballs back into their sockets.

http://www.gamespot.com/wolfenstein-...-6407974/?hd=1

And this announcement has some surprising twists. First off, the game is set in an alternate 1960s where the Nazis won World War 2 and have a heavy influence across the globe (if they haven't downright ruled the whole world). And this game isn't made by ID Software but being handled by another developer called "MachineGames" (though owned by Zenimax), which surprises me because Carmack (I think it was him, at least) insisted that in the future ID Software themselves would work exclusively on their own IPs and *not* outsource them to other developers. And surprisingly, this game is scheduled to be released late this year (though I'm not holding my breath 100%, the game could be delayed) for not only next generation consoles but also for the PC.
T-6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-07, 17:35   Link #2
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
This came as a surprise to me as well. Based on the trailer, I get the impression that BJ Blascowicz ended up... elsewhere... in the course of his previous outing, and wherever 'there' was, time flows differently, because he's missed out on at least fourteen years' worth of events.

Obvious questions arise at this point: will BJ still be the protagonist, or will he transition into the role of grizzled mentor, passing the proverbial torch on to someone new? If the latter, will the writers draw him - or perhaps her? - from the Allied nations, or will they toss us a curveball and have our hero begin in the belly of the beast? Recall that they do have a real-life basis for this in the form of the conspiracy that gave birth to the failed attempt to explosively assassinate Hitler.

And then we have gameplay. Sure, there'll be many opportunities to go loud with weapons known and unknown (this is an alternate 1960s, after all)... but will there be opportunities for Sneaky Basterdry (see: The Saboteur; Metal Gear) as well?

Come to think of it, if BJ takes that step upstairs, becoming a key figure in the notional resistance, that would justify co-op side levels (in the vein of SC: Conviction's Deniable Ops)...
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-07, 18:12   Link #3
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Loved the funky beat. I hope we still have the zombies as Bosses...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-08, 09:25   Link #4
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Based on this article it seems we can not worry about development resources being diverted towards any form of multiplayer. Included is an initial-impressions video (no actual gameplay footage, though).
Old 2013-05-08, 12:19   Link #5
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

From what I understand and have been told, this is essentially a new IP disguised as an old one. Are we sure this is actually connected to Wolfenstein?
Old 2013-05-08, 15:11   Link #6
T-6000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
Based on this article it seems we can not worry about development resources being diverted towards any form of multiplayer. Included is an initial-impressions video (no actual gameplay footage, though).
This will *not* make many fans of Enemy Territory (and the RTCW Multiplayer) one bit happy. In yesterday's reveal, I read many people hoping that the multiplayer will be closely similar (if not the same) as the Multiplayer from Enemy Territory. Especially since the multiplayer in the 2009 version of Wolvenstein wasn't good at all (at least from what I was told).
Old 2013-05-09, 03:58   Link #7
bigdeal000
malefic

I loved the Wolfenstein 2009 singleplayer, but the multy was just...ugh. Maybe this new producer has no experience on making multyplayer or something. I mean, I never heard of them until now, does anyone know anything about them?
bigdeal000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-09, 09:42   Link #8
Firefly00

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdeal000 View Post
Maybe this new producer has no experience on making multyplayer or something. I mean, I never heard of them until now, does anyone know anything about them?
From the initial-impressions video, I understand that MachineGames is a small outfit some of whose key personnel cut their teeth on the Riddick games (which, as I recall, were praised for the quality of their campaigns). Given their stated intention of making a Wolfenstein game worthy of the pedigree, it is logical that they would play to their strengths.

This article is a more in-depth discussion of what GameStop got to play of the game.

Last edited by Firefly00; 2013-05-09 at 10:01. Reason: New article detected
Old 2013-05-09, 11:08   Link #9
bigdeal000
malefic

Thank you for the answer and the article. I hope this will actually get some good sales, after the last one failed, it feels like a last chance for the franchise.
Old 2013-05-09, 11:19   Link #10
Sumeragi
Banned

Never cared for the series, but I'm always game for alternate history.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-09, 12:13   Link #11
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well there is no multiplayer in this game, so they can focus on the story.
Old 2013-05-09, 16:03   Link #12
T-6000

I just hope the developers who are now working on this game won't drop the ball. Not meaning to bemoan on this more than necessary, but I'm still feeling the burn on my disappointment for Aliens: Colonial Marines (since I'm a fan of the Aliens series and I've looked forward to this game since back at 2006). If Wolfenstein The new Order turns out to be a major letdown, I'll be one of the first to smash my head against a stone wall. The Gamespot staffer who was sent to preview the game does sound very enthusiastic for this game seemed to really enjoy his time with the game. So I definitely do look forward to seeing some E3 footage for this game. At least I'm hoping we get some E3 footage, Raven only released a trailer back at E3 2009 instead of a gameplay demo footage.

The last Wolfenstein game, the one released back at 2009, it was a good solid game but there were a few problems with it. I felt that Raven borrowed a few too many ideas from other games, the Nazis were just too damn chatty (and would make some firefights annoying to go through. Seriously, I hope they just shut up in this new Wolfenstein game), the story wasn't All that interesting, I felt that you were fighting regular human nazi soldiers too many times (in RTCW, there were some levels where you were fighting mostly paranormal or sci-fi monsters), and most characters and textures looked too glossy and plastic like (this was a problem with early versions of the Doom 3 engine).
Old 2013-05-10, 08:58   Link #13
Firefly00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Never cared for the series, but I'm always game for alternate history.
In that case, I think you might be one of many who would appreciate this article about the game's alternate history.
Old 2013-05-10, 10:51   Link #14
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

The lack of multiplayer makes me sad considering how RtCW was the FPS that managed the feat of luring me away from Quakeworld: Teamfortress, and Enemy Territory kept me hooked for a couple years.
Dark Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-10, 14:30   Link #15
bigdeal000
malefic

^not to mention it was where battlefield got the idea that made it famous...
ID missed (another) one hell of a multy revolution there...
Old 2013-05-10, 15:37   Link #16
Firefly00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Faith View Post
The lack of multiplayer makes me sad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdeal000 View Post
^not to mention it was where battlefield got the idea that made it famous...
ID missed (another) one hell of a multy revolution there...
I think I understand; still, it's better for the dev team to stick to their strengths and come out strong than try to be a jack-of-all-trades and end up mastering none. Hey, maybe if enough folks are interested, they'll make a deal with another outfit who does have strong MP chops to spawn a stand-alone game in the vein of Blacklight or Special Forces: Team X.
Old 2013-05-10, 17:16   Link #17
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I assume this game is a case of "DO IT AGAIN, ONLY BETTER THIS TIME!"
Old 2013-07-11, 13:19   Link #18
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-08-09, 16:07   Link #19
T-6000

For those that don't know, the new Wolfenstein game has been delayed until next year. On one hand, I am a bit disappointed that it won't be coming out this holiday season. But on the other hand, am glad they are taking as much time as they need to make this a good & polished title. Wolfenstein The New Order was also shown at this year's Quakecon and I believe there was even a playable version available during the even at Bethesda's Booth. I'm currently trying to look for the +1 Hour gameplay footage. But until then, here's a Gametrailers intervew that shows some new gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIfWqTvv-Pg
Old 2013-08-09, 16:42   Link #20
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
I love Photoshop now^

Seems the new game is so Hightech!!!!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote