AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Bleach

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you like Ichimaru Gin?
Yes! 331 68.11%
No! 65 13.37%
Don't hate him, nor do I like him. I've issues. What now? 90 18.52%
Voters: 486. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-13, 08:11   Link #221
mebidtt13
木田.和也

Gin is the best! He's my favorite character from Bleach! xD
Old 2009-01-13, 11:45   Link #222
Langus
Optimus Prime

Check out my awesome sig - how can you NOT love this guy? hahaha
Old 2009-01-14, 10:01   Link #223
Kafriel
Senior Guest

If you knew what Gin did as a little academy boy you'd definitely hate him, but I ain't saying anything coz I'm a spoiler saint xD
Anyway,I still like him because I think in the end he'll hook up with rangiku and just forget about aizen's evil plans-after all he's strong enough to be independent.
Old 2009-01-14, 19:37   Link #224
CollectDust
CGUE DEEP arms

Simple answer. Like. He's too elite to go on my hate list. Sorry.
Old 2009-01-14, 20:18   Link #225
Alien Blender
Dude

Ichimaru is awesome. He's like the Bleach version of Orochimaru (and not just the 'chimaru' part).
Just disturbing enough to be awesome.
Old 2009-01-14, 23:20   Link #226
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Well i hated him till
Spoiler for Manga Spoiler:
Old 2009-01-15, 06:26   Link #227
Mattelajn

You don't see him alot in the series so I don't think he deserves the right to be liked/disliked
Old 2009-01-15, 06:31   Link #228
Kafriel
Senior Guest

He pointed a sword at Rukia after taunting her before the execution, he got that annoying evil grin with his eyes always closed, talks funny and well,is a villain...the only good thing he ever did was picking up Kira from his emo world
oh,also
Spoiler:
oddly enough I voted for "like"
Old 2009-01-15, 14:18   Link #229
Langus
Optimus Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by HassenSekkai View Post
He pointed a sword at Rukia after taunting her before the execution, he got that annoying evil grin with his eyes always closed, talks funny and well,is a villain...the only good thing he ever did was picking up Kira from his emo world
oh,also
Spoiler:
oddly enough I voted for "like"
Correction.

Spoiler for Spoiler:
Old 2009-01-15, 16:11   Link #230
Kafriel
Senior Guest

My bad,got confused coz of the
Spoiler:
Old 2009-01-15, 19:00   Link #231
hakisak
Banned

Location: Polishing Weapons...Btw,read "Until Death Do Us Part" ^_^
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lycan View Post
Well i hated him till
Spoiler for Manga Spoiler:
Yes but he was being sarcastic

Spoiler for Spoilerish:

There is no good in him. I like him that way.
Old 2009-01-15, 19:18   Link #232
Langus
Optimus Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakisak View Post
Yes but he was being sarcastic

Spoiler for Spoilerish:

There is no good in him. I like him that way.
I was fairly certain that the sentiment was "doing well" not "happy" - those have very different connotations.

And how do you know he was being sarcastic when you're reading plain text? It's impossible to know that.
Old 2009-01-15, 22:42   Link #233
hakisak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langus View Post
I was fairly certain that the sentiment was "doing well" not "happy" - those have very different connotations.

And how do you know he was being sarcastic when you're reading plain text? It's impossible to know that.
Did Kira look like he was "doing well" or "happy" or "ok" at that moment?

He's still seething and hurt over Ichimaru's betrayal. Just his named invoked a lot of emotion. None of the emotions he displayed were good.

Gin is a sadist among other things. He gets off on mental cruelty. So he was happy or feeling good if you want to put that way. He was feeling good about the fact that Kira was miserable. He was being sarcastic. I am not just looking at the "text". I am actually looking at the character's behaivor...
Old 2009-01-15, 23:03   Link #234
Langus
Optimus Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakisak View Post
Did Kira look like he was "doing well" or "happy" or "ok" at that moment?

He's still seething and hurt over Ichimaru's betrayal. Just his named invoked a lot of emotion. None of the emotions he displayed were good.

Gin is a sadist among other things. He gets off on mental cruelty. So he was happy or feeling good if you want to put that way. He was feeling good about the fact that Kira was miserable. He was being sarcastic. I am not just looking at the "text". I am actually looking at the character's behaivor...
I think you are one of the few people I've seen who read that scene that way. From what I can tell, most people read that scene the way I did - taking it as it was.

Gin's comments are meant as a reflection of how Kira has handled himself since Gin's departure. Before Kira was the type of person who allowed himself to be blindly led. I think it's clear that he feels some guilt over the fact that he didn't question his superior. If he had things might have turned out differently.

Since Gin's departure Kira has stepped up as the temporary leader of squad 3. He acts with authority and confidence. I think THIS is what Gin's comment of "he's doing well" refers to. He wasn't speaking of Kira in that moment or the fact that he was upset, he was speaking to how Kira has changed and the strength of character (courage) he's developed.

At the end of the day, you read Gin's every action and every move as a character in the complete mirror image of how I do. In him you see a sadist and you refuse to look deeper than that. In him I see more depth of character. There is no black and white when it comes to him - Gin is all grey matter and none of it easily understood or compartmentalized. Because of that you and I will never agree on what his actions mean or how they should be interpreted.
Old 2009-01-16, 04:56   Link #235
hakisak
Banned

Quote:
I think you are one of the few people I've seen who read that scene that way. From what I can tell, most people read that scene the way I did - taking it as it was. .
Really? That could be because too many people rely soley on text. They don't take character personality and behaivor into account as well.

I might have taken it "as it was". if Gin wasn't a murdering sadist and Kira actually looked happy.
Quote:
I
Gin's comments are meant as a reflection of how Kira has handled himself since Gin's departure. Before Kira was the type of person who allowed himself to be blindly led. I think it's clear that he feels some guilt over the fact that he didn't question his superior. If he had things might have turned out differently. .

Kira didn't look blindly led to me. He looked like he was in agreement. The only time he showed remorse is when Hinamori hurt. He didn't blink at the massacre of Rm 46. He's not the innocent sheep you think he is. Kira is obviously not over Ichimaru's abandoment/betrayal...if he was he wouldn't have gotten so angry.

Was it loyalty and pain because of it? Was it hatred? whatever it was he wasn't feeling warm and fuzzy...
Quote:
Since Gin's departure Kira has stepped up as the temporary leader of squad 3. He acts with authority and confidence. I think THIS is what Gin's comment of "he's doing well" refers to. He wasn't speaking of Kira in that moment or the fact that he was upset, he was speaking to how Kira has changed and the strength of character (courage) he's developed. .
Um...How would Gin know all of that? He's been gone for awhile. Kira has always exuded confidence.

Did you read Kira's "Don't forgive me speech"? At that moment... That was not confidence.

Quote:
At the end of the day, you read Gin's every action and every move as a character in the complete mirror image of how I do. In him you see a sadist and you refuse to look deeper than that. In him I see more depth of character. There is no black and white when it comes to him - Gin is all grey matter and none of it easily understood or compartmentalized. Because of that you and I will never agree on what his actions mean or how they should be interpreted.
I think you think you refuse to see him for what he really is...

He's a killer. We've seen him get off on cruelty. He tortured Rukia, he made sure she saw # 9 Do you honestly believe he wanted to give her shock theraphy and help her to overcome her issues regarding Kaien?

No he did it because it would fuck Rukia up mentally. He gets his rocks that way. I have looked deeply at him and what I see is ugly. He's not some misunderstood guy who deep down inside posseses a heart. He's evil incarnate...He gets off on the suffering of others.

You keep trying to dress him up in noble trappings. Which doesn't work because he's a murdering sadist. You know not everyone has complex layers. Some people are just what they appear to be and nothing more.

You are right, you and I will never agree.
Old 2009-01-16, 09:37   Link #236
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Um...How would Gin know all of that?
Gin saw that Kira abides by the 3rd squad's morals all too well, so he sees Kira is fit to be a captain now.Maybe abandoning him was also an act of "war", to remind him how sad it is or something.He changed from the happy-go-lucky guy hanging out with Renji and Hinamori to the lone leader of 3rd squad.
Old 2009-01-16, 15:04   Link #237
hakisak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HassenSekkai View Post
Gin saw that Kira abides by the 3rd squad's morals all too well, so he sees Kira is fit to be a captain now.Maybe abandoning him was also an act of "war", to remind him how sad it is or something.He changed from the happy-go-lucky guy hanging out with Renji and Hinamori to the lone leader of 3rd squad.
Um...No he left because the jig was up and SS was about get in their asses. Kira became Gin's vice because he could be used. Not because Gin has extreme faith in him.

Who are y'all talking about...Gintoki because it isn't Ichimaru. Must be some other Gin...
Old 2009-01-16, 15:07   Link #238
Langus
Optimus Prime

HassenSekkai has a point. It was entirely possible for Gin to see how much his subordinate had grown based on how he was acting. The Kira in that showdown scene and the Kira he'd known in SS were two very different people.

It's alright to have a divergent opinion, you know. You may like your view of Gin but that doesn't mean it's the only one, or necessarily the correction one. Catch my drift?
Old 2009-03-16, 22:27   Link #239
twkiwilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
If you knew what Gin did as a little academy boy you'd definitely hate him, but I ain't saying anything coz I'm a spoiler saint xD
Anyway,I still like him because I think in the end he'll hook up with rangiku and just forget about aizen's evil plans-after all he's strong enough to be independent.
I like your last sentence.. yeah.. seriously who cares about aizen..

After seeing the little boy gin only makes me want to hug him even more. He's so adorable!
Old 2009-03-17, 01:15   Link #240
Meisterdieb

I would have preferred it if the poll had defined the options a little more clear-cut.

Do I like Ichimaru Gin? What do you mean?
That I think he's great and want to be best buddies with him?
Or that I think he's a fanatstic character.

Because those two are completely different (maybe not mutually exclusive for some).

I think Gin makes a great antagonist in Bleach with the way the characterized him; but I'm still hoping he'll die a very messy death and then I can dance on his grave.
Closed Thread