AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-11-23, 20:37   Link #4461
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish View Post
Unless I'm very much mistaken you first registered on April 13, 2005.
Nah, after piecing together events and history that sounds right. Thanks!
Old 2010-11-23, 20:45   Link #4462
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Asked this in the culture thread but no answer comes up, so being a bit impatient and running to here instead:
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
OK, this question should be more about culture than actual "learning Japanese thread..."

In anime with real ancient characters Horo (in Spice& Wolf) or Gekka (Kyouran Kazoku Nikki), the character often end their sentence with "ja" or "ya".. which is different with most of the Japanese structure end that i know of

Is that a really formal/royal way to speak or something?
Old 2010-11-23, 21:23   Link #4463
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

As someone who grew up just a few miles away from Plymouth Rock, I'll be happy to provide a brief overview of Thanksgiving to our friends outside the United States. Thanksgiving commemorates a harvest feast shared by the "Pilgrims" and native Americans living along the shores of Massachusetts near Cape Cod. The Pilgrims were a group of religious nonconformists who fled England around the turn of the seventeenth century. After a brief stay in the Netherlands, they commissioned ships to sail across the Atlantic so they might establish a colony in the "New World." The Pilgrims landed in December of 1620, and most of the settlers who hadn't died in the voyage passed away in the initial, brutally cold winter of 1620-21. Only 53 of the initial 102 emigrants, and just four of the initial eighteen females, survived to take part in the feast. Few of these would have survived without the support of the native Americans who lived in close proximity to the colonists.

The story of the Pilgrims has one remarkable coincidence, the presence of the native American Squanto who was enslaved by John Smith (of the Pocahontas tale) and later lived in England. Considering the enormous size of the United States, the fact that the Pilgrims encountered a native who spoke English and could translate between the two groups has to be an historical coincidence of major proportions.

Legend has it that the Pilgrims first stepped foot onto Plymouth Rock when arriving in America. In fact this story is based entirely on the report of one Elder John Faunce who, at 94, was carried to the water's edge so he might point out the place where his father had told him the first step took place. Since the Pilgrims had already spent some time in Provincetown at the tip of Cape Cod before sailing into Plymouth harbor, the story is false on its face. There are also no contemporary accounts in the existing journals of the colonists to support the story. The current Rock is but a mere shadow of the original, having been split in two at one point and chipped away by souvenir hunters before it was placed in a protected location around 1880. It now resides at the bottom of a Roman-styled portico in Plymouth Harbor which was constructed in 1920 to commemorate the 300th anniversary of the Pilgrims' arrival. It's symbolic value is perhaps best summed up by a local historian and member of the Pilgrim Society, Rose T. Briggs, who wrote in 1968, ""It is the fact that they landed - and remained - that matters, not where they landed. Yet it is no bad thing for a nation to be founded on a rock."

I researched the Rock for a high-school history project, which is why I know its story so well.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-23, 22:55   Link #4464
mindovermatter
For me the bell tolls

Send a message via AIM to mindovermatter Send a message via MSN to mindovermatter Send a message via Yahoo to mindovermatter
since thanksgiving is being discussed, maybe someone could tell me if this is true..I heard that native Americans view thanksgiving as a day for mourning, since it was basically the beginning of the end for them. I wouldn't be surprised if it were so, but is it true?

ok, the question I really came into this thread to ask, was what is the current state of Yugioh?
I stopped watching/playing long ago...but I hear that Yugioh is still strong in the form of yugioh 5D.
so, how is this show? Is there any shred of the original plot or characters, or is the name "yugioh" not at all relevant anymore to the show?
how about the card game? Is it still semi popular? Are the cards decent?

thanks

School Rumble 4Ever!
I'm on FB search "jym cl"
mindovermatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-24, 00:19   Link #4465
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
The current Rock is but a mere shadow of the original, having been split in two at one point and chipped away by souvenir hunters before it was placed in a protected location around 1880. It now resides at the bottom of a Roman-styled portico in Plymouth Harbor which was constructed in 1920 to commemorate the 300th anniversary of the Pilgrims' arrival.
The Roman portico (right), seen from the shore:

The big rock in question:

Yes, it's really, really BIG:

Quote:
In anime with real ancient characters Horo (in Spice& Wolf) or Gekka (Kyouran Kazoku Nikki), the character often end their sentence with "ja" or "ya".. which is different with most of the Japanese structure end that i know of

Is that a really formal/royal way to speak or something?
I don't know about the latter character, but Horo apparently uses elements of an Edo-era dialect used by courtesans (oiran). It may or may not have been influenced by Kansai dialect, because both forms sound similar to my foreign ears. I'm basing that on the Kyoto-courtesan dialogue that appeared in Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen, which had a curiously pleasant, coquettish lilt.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-24, 01:05   Link #4466
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Maybe I should be ashamed for not visiting there since I'm from MA and I love history...
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-24, 02:22   Link #4467
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I don't know about the latter character, but Horo apparently uses elements of an Edo-era dialect used by courtesans (oiran). It may or may not have been influenced by Kansai dialect, because both forms sound similar to my foreign ears. I'm basing that on the Kyoto-courtesan dialogue that appeared in Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen, which had a curiously pleasant, coquettish lilt.
It's quite interesting there.

But i don't think Gekka is anywhere close to an oiran, or have such flirty nature (unless it's towards sushi, she loves sushi). So it must be one of the older dialect, i guess =]
Old 2010-11-24, 07:44   Link #4468
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindovermatter View Post
I heard that native Americans view thanksgiving as a day for mourning, since it was basically the beginning of the end for them. I wouldn't be surprised if it were so, but is it true?
Yes, some native American activist organizations have taken to demonstrating on Thanksgiving for these reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Maybe I should be ashamed for not visiting there since I'm from MA and I love history...
Well, it is just a rock. You won't see much more than you can see in the fine picture TRL just posted. I'd suggest a visit to Plimoth Plantation instead. It's a replica of the colony populated by actors who play actual residents of the time. They maintain themselves in character throughout. It's always funny to watch one of them ask an unsuspecting visitor how they arrived at the Plantation, then look puzzled and confused when told the visitors came by automobile. The Mayflower II, a replica of the original ship, is anchored near the rock in Plymouth harbor. It's mind-boggling to imagine over a hundred people crammed into a space not much larger than my apartment for two months.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-24, 09:16   Link #4469
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I asked around and learned that the registration and testing fees for the USMLE for 2011 and 2012 would likely be approx. $3000 for foreigners, not counting the amount habing to spend going Stateside to take parts of it. $3000 is the gross salary of a first year medical resident for one whole year without taxes. In other countries, this is very high amount for someone who really just wants to train and earn while doing it before coming back home to practice.

So yes, ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?

(Yes that was a legitimate question)

I've dropped Singapore from my list because they don't offer training unless you become a citizen, and even then you still have a conditional practicing status.

My research into taking Canada's MCC exam is looking well, but I haven't come across enough details for foreigners looking to apply at an embassy, where to get the study manuals and guides (there are however a ton for the USMLE in every bookstore) and how much the registration costs. Can anyone give suggestions?
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-24, 09:48   Link #4470
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Well, it is just a rock. You won't see much more than you can see in the fine picture TRL just posted. I'd suggest a visit to Plimoth Plantation instead. It's a replica of the colony populated by actors who play actual residents of the time. They maintain themselves in character throughout. It's always funny to watch one of them ask an unsuspecting visitor how they arrived at the Plantation, then look puzzled and confused when told the visitors came by automobile. The Mayflower II, a replica of the original ship, is anchored near the rock in Plymouth harbor. It's mind-boggling to imagine over a hundred people crammed into a space not much larger than my apartment for two months.
One question. Why turkey and not other birds for thanksgiving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I asked around and learned that the registration and testing fees for the USMLE for 2011 and 2012 would likely be approx. $3000 for foreigners, not counting the amount habing to spend going Stateside to take parts of it. $3000 is the gross salary of a first year medical resident for one whole year without taxes. In other countries, this is very high amount for someone who really just wants to train and earn while doing it before coming back home to practice.

So yes, ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?

(Yes that was a legitimate question)

I've dropped Singapore from my list because they don't offer training unless you become a citizen, and even then you still have a conditional practicing status.

My research into taking Canada's MCC exam is looking well, but I haven't come across enough details for foreigners looking to apply at an embassy, where to get the study manuals and guides (there are however a ton for the USMLE in every bookstore) and how much the registration costs. Can anyone give suggestions?
Go South. Australia. I know a number of people who go there to study and practice before coming back here.

As for going about finding out about it, I would suggest that you ask a few Aussies here with regards to their locale and get them to email the authorities for you, like Haruka_Kitten and fallschirmjager.

WRT Singapore, I am sure that it is PR and not citizen. I'll drop an email tomorrow morning before I go to school, should be able to get a reply by Friday.

PM TRL or hope that he will see your question. I am sure in his field of journalism he should be able to get or regurgitate specific information more easily than me.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-24, 11:09   Link #4471
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
If you are coming to Canada for your training, if you can choose the province where you would train, Quebec isn't much of a good suggestion if you don't speak french; even with all the past good talk the integration of foreign doctor on the system is said to be rather slow at best when they the language berrier isn't a problem...
Old 2010-11-24, 12:43   Link #4472
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
One question. Why turkey and not other birds for thanksgiving?
It's native to North America. Even today, where I live (a town established in the 1600's, not too far from where the pilgrims first landed) you see wild turkeys crossing the road sometimes. They were probably even more abundant back then, and easy to catch. They're also quite large for a bird and would provide a good meal.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-24, 18:44   Link #4473
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
It's native to North America. Even today, where I live (a town established in the 1600's, not too far from where the pilgrims first landed) you see wild turkeys crossing the road sometimes. They were probably even more abundant back then, and easy to catch. They're also quite large for a bird and would provide a good meal.
I assume that joke was localised there as,

Why did the turkey cross the road?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-24, 22:09   Link #4474
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Question about Japan politics (i avoid the word "political culture" because mod may shift my post into culture thread D: )

I mean probably (actually definitely) some of us would consider that politics are quite dirty business with politicians are lying bastards that can't wait to vote on which sheep gonna be for dinner. But what's about Japan's general public opinion on politics?
They had a party that ruling over century (probably not that long) before the recent political development.... and stereotypically speaking , probably have that "maintaining-harmony society" status like most East Asia country. And beat me if i'm wrong, but there seems little news about Japanese mass demonstration about social or political issues (opposing to Europe and US or even Korea) since GFC 2008.

So in Japan, are there much opposing forces to the government in general? (other than the shadow government/ oppose party)
Old 2010-11-25, 01:57   Link #4475
Suomi
Kaiba

NaNoWriMo in 5 days? is it totally insane?

so I started writing a story, a 8.5 by 11 sheet of notebook paper worth...and then my English teacher told me to look at National Novel Writing Month.
I forgot.
Now it's five days til the deadline...is it totally insane to try and do it??

Old 2010-11-25, 02:09   Link #4476
Frenchie
Shougi Génération
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Frenchie
Entirely depends on how much time you've got on your hands. You won't know unless you try and every minute you go by not typing up your story is a minute wasted.

I've subscribed to the competition but I've only got three chapters done.

National Novel Writing Month is supposed to be freestyle, with very little planning going on. It's supposed to spur creativity above all else. If you think you won't run dry on creativity during those five days and you devote all your time to it...

Why not?
Frenchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 02:43   Link #4477
Sumeragi
Banned

Why not? Writing is supposed to be your soul, so why not show it?
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 08:17   Link #4478
LeoXiao
思想工作

It depends on whether or not you have some good ideas at the moment. If not you'll just suffer writers block for the next five days. But it you do have a sudden gush of insight/motivation right now, then I'd take a shot at it. There's nothing worse than wasted initiative.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 10:18   Link #4479
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Question about Japan politics (i avoid the word "political culture" because mod may shift my post into culture thread D: )
But it does belong there, really, since this is essentially a question of cultural attitudes towards politicians.

Quote:
I mean probably (actually definitely) some of us would consider that politics are quite dirty business with politicians are lying bastards that can't wait to vote on which sheep gonna be for dinner. But what's about Japan's general public opinion on politics?
It's probably not very different from that of people in most other countries: Indifference at best, disgust and extreme cynicism at worst.

Politicians in Japan generally have a very cushy job. The real work of governing is actually done by the civil servants, with the politician being no more than a glorified rubber stamp. For the most part, it seems, the politicians pander to various business interests in his constituency, a development that contributed directly to the "concretisation" of much of Japan's natural environment with wasteful public works. In short, Japanese pork-barrel politics at times make the American version look like child's play. The American politician at least faced the real prospect of being booted out of office — Japanese politicians, especially those of the LDP over most of the past 50 years, could typically count on staying in office until they deigned to step down.

So... given such realities, how do you think ordinary Japanese would regard their politicians, notwithstanding the recent farcical state of affairs in Tokyo?

Still, like in any other country, much will probably depend on who exactly you ask. From what I recall, rural Japanese have overwhelmingly disproportionate voting power versus those who live in urban areas. That makes it important for political parties to treat them very well, in order to secure power. So, I wouldn't be surprised to find farming communities and small businesses to be generally more supportive of their local politicians.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 11:49   Link #4480
Almazluverdis3
Shall we do it?
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Almazluverdis3
This is dumb, but I need to ask. I'm learning Norwegian via cell phone dictionary (Nokia N72, to be exact), but there aren't any curse words. Can anyone list some for me? No, I'm not a troll.

Tags
problem, q&a, serious