AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

View Poll Results: Umineko no Naku Koro ni - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 30 16.76%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 45 25.14%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 42 23.46%
7 out of 10 : Good 32 17.88%
6 out of 10 : Average 15 8.38%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 8 4.47%
4 out of 10 : Poor 5 2.79%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.56%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.56%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-22, 19:34   Link #61
Freelii
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oekitarts View Post
They put in the part where Battler punches Maria on the head.
I can now die happy.
I kinda wish there was a bit more of it. I thought I remembered it happening quite frequently in the VN.
Old 2009-07-22, 19:43   Link #62
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelii View Post
I kinda wish there was a bit more of it. I thought I remembered it happening quite frequently in the VN.
Actually it was just in that one scene he punched her in the head, after she told him that he got his wish for a perfect murder. She began mocking him about the magic circle and he punched her on the head a couple times.
Old 2009-07-22, 19:47   Link #63
Christen
Endless Nine
*Artist

I'll have to rate this lower than the previous episode, not just because of the increased pace, but because of the lack of characterization of the involved people. This mainly involves the study scene.
Spoiler for study:

Well, that's my only rant anyway. As an anime episode it was good I guess. I'm iffy about that particular change in Kanon's scene, but I guess Nanjo and Jessica coming in to the lobby does the same I guess? The mackerel slightly diverts the scene, but it implies that Natsuhi saw the clear table.

The phone scene is slightly off. The phone was supposed to be out of Maria's reach, and when Natsuhi answered the phone, they can only slightly hear Maria. This implies that it wasn't Maria that made the call.

Lowering my score to 7 for now, it's hard not to be biased The pacing went back to episode 1-fast. They might be putting more time in the tea party I guess.

The best scene for me was Kanon in the boiler room. Props for the SFX too!
Old 2009-07-22, 20:11   Link #64
Demoned Away

Hearing everyone talking about the VN makes me want to play it. I feel like I'm missing a lot from just watching the anime. D:
Old 2009-07-22, 20:13   Link #65
Umineko
Omochikaeri!

I didn't like the episode at all, to be honest.. Maria's not creepy.. not funny, she's only annoying and stupid, sorry Maria-fans.

And after xxx's death (in case anyone reads this before watching the episode), Jessica sounded like coughing, not crying...

and... 4 servants dieing? I mean, what's that? So it's over next week or what? They could slow down...

I'm disappointed with this series. Episode 3 was the only one I really liked. Comparing to Higurashi, which was so creepy, and funny.. this is nothing at all -. -

4 people died, but there was no drama, only this stupid girl singing badly. Won't watch it with subs actually, I liked it too little to.
Old 2009-07-22, 20:14   Link #66
Kitsu
The unlucky one

You don't have to buy the first ark so you might play it since there is a translation. (and thanks again Witch-Hunt hope you guys know that we worship you even more than we worship Beatrice-sama)
Again for everyone who is interested in the first ark
www.witch-hunt.com
There you'll find everything you want to know

@Umineko

Well she did cough, she was supposed to. Jessica suffers from pretty bad Asthma (Which of course wasn't explained) when she gets reall upset she often has "fits".
Spoiler for Explanation on how Jessica handled certain moment in the VN:
Old 2009-07-22, 20:16   Link #67
Christen
Endless Nine
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umineko View Post
I didn't like the episode at all, to be honest.. Maria's not creepy.. not funny, she's only annoying and stupid, sorry Maria-fans.

And after xxx's death (in case anyone reads this before watching the episode), Jessica sounded like coughing, not crying...

and... 4 servants dieing? I mean, what's that? So it's over next week or what? They could slow down...

I'm disappointed with this series. Episode 3 was the only one I really liked. Comparing to Higurashi, which was so creepy, and funny.. this is nothing at all -. -

4 people died, but there was no drama, only this stupid girl singing badly. Won't watch it with subs actually, I liked it too little to.
While I agree with being disappointed, I'd say give the series a chance.

Jessica has asthma, which I think they tried to imply with this episode, but the lack of concern from the other people proved otherwise.
Old 2009-07-22, 20:19   Link #68
Umineko
Omochikaeri!

Sorry, I didn't know about the Asthma (how so, if nobody explains ANYTHING in the series), so it's actually okay.. still was weird, not knowing it and then thinking like.. what?

Thanks for informing me.

Of course I will watch on, as I really like Beatrice-sama, and some other characters, but some parts are only annoying, and I feel like I miss so much, not having played the SN. I didn't have this feeling with Higurashi, though =/
Old 2009-07-22, 20:20   Link #69
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Maybe because in Higurashi there weren't so much people (like me) who complain about lacking stuff all the time.
Old 2009-07-22, 20:21   Link #70
Demoned Away

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't know about the Asthma (how so, if nobody explains ANYTHING in the series), so it's actually okay.. still was weird, not knowing it and then thinking like.. what?

Thanks for informing me.

Of course I will watch on, as I really like Beatrice-sama, and some other characters, but some parts are only annoying, and I feel like I miss so much, not having played the SN. I didn't have this feeling with Higurashi, though =/
I'm in the same boat as you. During episode 2 where all those people died... I could only name 2-3 of them (I still can't remember/name the others) just because of how rushed these episodes have been.

I haven't played the Higurashi games either but I followed that anime rather easily and I thorougly enjoyed it.

I'm not really complaining since I have nothing to compare the anime to (haven't played the VNs). I'm just saying how I feel about the anime so far.
Old 2009-07-22, 20:22   Link #71
Umineko
Omochikaeri!

I loved Higurashi... and Umineko's lacking much too much. But I don't have this opinion because I heard people complaining, don't worry. I like to rate things myself ^^

I just don't see why they should have it so fast-paced, they had enough time to produce a fine series like Higurashi, and made nothing of it.
Old 2009-07-22, 20:26   Link #72
TsundereCake
真 ラブ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoned Away View Post
I'm in the same boat as you. During episode 2 where all those people died... I could only name 2-3 of them (I still can't remember/name the others) just because of how rushed these episodes have been.

I haven't played the Higurashi games either but I followed that anime rather easily and I thorougly enjoyed it.

I'm not really complaining since I have nothing to compare the anime to (haven't played the VNs). I'm just saying how I feel about the anime so far.
Higurashi also has nowhere near as many characters :/
Old 2009-07-22, 20:27   Link #73
Kitsu
The unlucky one

The problem is they have to be so fast-paced, the next arks gonna be longer, a lot longer. They had to cut a lot of scenes which made the character relationships dynamic. For example Kinzo and Nanjo played chess and Kinzo didn't go "BEATRICE!" alll the time -.-. Kanon helping Jessica has she had her attack, Battler and Rudolphs interaction at the airport. On the whole the airport scene and the "Niijama harbor" and boat scene.
Now imagine three other games which are even longer and scram them into 26 episodes
Old 2009-07-22, 20:28   Link #74
vandakiara
time waits for no one <3
*Graphic Designer

well Episode 1 is just and introduction so don't judge yet.. while it may be rushed I'm sure things will slow down and it'll reach its peak eventually... it has a great potencial so don't give up yet

Believing oneself to be perfect is...
often the sign of a delusional mind
Old 2009-07-22, 20:30   Link #75
Umineko
Omochikaeri!

Why do they have to be fast-paced? Isn't it important to know the characters a little? When reading a book, one likes to know them too, right? I don't see I would buy a book where about 20 people die in 6 pages' time..
Old 2009-07-22, 20:35   Link #76
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Haha, the problem is you will get to know the charaters better, a hella lot better. Since every episode gives more "depht-inside" into the character. Just much of the casual-interaction was cut. (for example Jessica and Battlers "brawling-relationship"= And some of the characters Gohda for example don't get much insight in the first game either.
It's just a little sad that you won't get the "aha-feelign" that much. In the VN it kinda often felt like you know a certain fact but in the next VN you get a clear inside and you learn something more like nd your all like it "AH! so it's like that!!"

Just that Battler's little sister got cut is annoying

Edit; Yes, I like the word "like"
Old 2009-07-22, 20:35   Link #77
vandakiara
time waits for no one <3
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Why do they have to be fast-paced? Isn't it important to know the characters a little? When reading a book, one likes to know them too, right? I don't see I would buy a book where about 20 people die in 6 pages' time..
well honestly, when I played EP1, at this point I had no idea who was who yet..... same with the manga (I read the first 3 chapters of the manga before playing the game).... I don't think you're supposed to really know them all now... you get to know them as the story moves along... they're 18 people, don't forget that... it's a bunch of names... and with only 4 episodes of the anime you can't know much yet...

I think EP1's function is an introduction that shows about the legend of a witch and that there's a family conference on that day and that people start to die under suspicious circunstances, that's all.... then, as you watch the other Episodes is when you start to know the characters and to feel attached to them...

edit: Kitsu, you just had to beat me hadn't you?

Believing oneself to be perfect is...
often the sign of a delusional mind
Old 2009-07-22, 20:36   Link #78
BakaOnna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umineko
You also have to bear in mind that Umineko is a lot harder to adapt well into an anime series than Higurashi. Though they both have their difficulties.
Old 2009-07-22, 20:38   Link #79
Archer

Quote:
Right now, the anime is under a strict schedule and needs to get to a certain point quickly, since the Legend of the Golden Witch arc is merely a setup to the most important aspect of the series.

Of course, it doesn't help that the director of Umineko is terrible at her job, so plot elements are introduced arbitrarily for the sake of being there, and doesn't even bother to make use of what little airtime they have to build up characters and make things a bit more consistent.
Old 2009-07-22, 20:38   Link #80
Umineko
Omochikaeri!

Okay.. guess it might get better when watching on. Hope it will. Still, in Higurashi I liked them all from the first episode on.. I miss characters as cute as Rena and Rika ;_; there's noone like that in Umineko.. but they have hot Battler at least xP but I really do hope, next week holds a better episode.
Closed Thread