AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Eden of the East

Notices

Old 2009-02-12, 20:16   Link #21
rg4619

Quote:
11 might be a little short compared to most series, but if it was planned from the start to be a striking short story type of series, it could end up being pretty awesome.
I think it's just FujiTV at it again. Lately, they've had a preference for 11 episode series, with each episode also running 1-2 minutes shorter (more commercial time?) than we'd normally expect.

Nevertheless, the show might work out well as long as the creators deal with those constraints appropriately.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-13, 03:45   Link #22
BluWacky
尻の竜

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-kun View Post
"Juiz" means "Judge" in English. So probably he's the one who hands out the verdicts?
Oh, GOD. I'm such an idiot. I didn't even think it would be just like Selecao. Thanks for the pointer!

The official blog's been updating with a couple of entries so far but I haven't taken the time to try and read them at all. With two months to go until the premiere one would hope that next month's Newtype or Animage might have a proper feature.
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-13, 14:04   Link #23
kyouray
2D > 3D

Sketches of the chara-design are available on Dengeki Online.
Old 2009-02-13, 19:50   Link #24
Celestial Kitsune
Myobu

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyouray View Post
Thanks for the link

I wrote a preview for this anime recently
Celestial Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-13, 22:19   Link #25
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyouray View Post
I love the image near the bottom of the page! Hence it will be my sig.
Those three images and the character design are really getting me excited about this series. I hope it won't disappoint.
qmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-15, 19:12   Link #26
7Th
Mixtape

The actual visual style used for the animation couldn't be a worse fit for Umino's original designs.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-23, 14:40   Link #27
Amylian

Send a message via MSN to Amylian Send a message via Yahoo to Amylian
Up till now, I feel like ordering East of Eden and besides that, Kenji Kawai is the composer for this series. Well, I am not going to get my hopes up just for that of course, but, hell yeah....
Amylian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-07, 07:00   Link #28
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Yeah, ideally the length should be enough to develop the core characters enough to create a strong emotional bond with the audience, while not dragging the story on beyond the amount of interesting concepts and content the creators can come up with. 11 might be a little short compared to most series, but if it was planned from the start to be a striking short story type of series, it could end up being pretty awesome.
The length of the story is somewhat like the way 24 works.

Whereas 1 ep = 1hr, for this series, 1 ep = 1 day.
It's an 11 day story.
Also since the movie is coming out later this year after the series is done, chances are that ep 11 will end on some major ass cliffhanger only to conlcude in the movie, perhaps like FMA attempted.
(This is my theory)

But it'll have to be pretty intense to keep it decent within 11 eps, let's see how it goes.
Most news on the blog says that they're still writing and storyboarding stuff, lol.
I guess they'll also be finishing up soon. Only 3 weeks to go and the japanese website feels kinda bare. Wonder when they're gonna update it with trailers and stuff....

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-10, 13:48   Link #29
kyouray
2D > 3D

Chara-design and some screenshots are available on Dengeki Online.
Old 2009-03-10, 17:58   Link #30
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

There's a cowboy beebop dog! xD
And they really don't look their 'supposed' ages character wise, somehow I can't look at a naked akira without it seemingly jailbait wrong, lol.

Thankies for the update ^^

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
Old 2009-03-10, 18:30   Link #31
BluWacky
尻の竜

The latest blog update and that Dengeki article clarifies exactly what "Higashi no Eden" means in the show. It's the name of a "club" that Saki set up at university. They take in second hand clothing, PCs etc. and then sell them on or distribute them to other students. One of the club mmebers is in the process of setting up a mobile phone website for the club.

I guess this is supposed to contrast with the Selecao somehow. Either taht or they've got some major mobile phone sponsorship for this show and are really trying to flaunt them as much as possible...

I wish we had a trailer for this, not that it would give much away but it would be nice to have more of an idea of the style they're going for. I don't think the character designs and the backgrounds are as incongruent as 7th does, but I'd like to see them in motion before I judge fully.
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-10, 19:05   Link #32
duckroll
綺羅星★!

We'll get a trailer next week for sure I think. They'll have to show something at TAF. Also, this is probably the only April series of note that we DON'T have a cast list for. No cast listing, no trailer, what are they keeping from us?
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-12, 07:49   Link #33
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Quote:
"Juiz" means "Judge" in English. So probably he's the one who hands out the verdicts?

Anyway, thanks for the info, BluWacky! Now that I know they've got some names in Portuguese (my native language) on it I'm even more interested.
Now I am curious.
Since Bluwacky mentioned that there are Portuguese terms in here, the word:

セレソン - Se-re-so-n - Seleson (Closest english word)
To attempt a jp-eng translation closest I can think of would be 'selection', however the phonetical reading of セレソン - does it match the pronunciation in portuguese for the word 'chosen' or 'selected'?

I look at 'Selecao' and immeadiately think se-le-ca-o (ca as in 'car')
But who says Katakana is solely reserved for the english language

And I assume 'juiz' isn't pronounced the same way as english (J not as in Jump) :\

Would love to aurally hear the portuguese but while we're limited, was curious if you can give us a 101 pronounciation check up blue-kun.

Old 2009-03-12, 10:59   Link #34
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Quote:
Would love to aurally hear the portuguese but while we're limited, was curious if you can give us a 101 pronounciation check up blue-kun.
Well, I started out trying to explain in words, but since it wasn't really working that well, thought I could record myself saying both words. So, here you go:

Juiz and Seleção.

Notice the "ç" in Seleção? In Portuguese, "c" with a vowel after it really sounds like the "ca" in car, as you've said. But when you use Ç instead, the "C" has the sound of "S", like in "Selection".

Quote:
does it match the pronunciation in portuguese for the word 'chosen' or 'selected'?
Oh, by the way, Seleção doesn't mean "chosen" or "selected", it actually stands for "Selection", but I guess it makes sense, since apparently it's a group of chosen people, right? If you wanted to say "chosen" it'd probably be "selecionado" (seleccionado in Portugal) or "escolhido".

Anyway, hopefully this helps, and you're able to figure out what I said since my microphone is in pretty bad shape right now...

Last edited by Blue-kun; 2009-03-12 at 11:10.
Blue-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-12, 20:53   Link #35
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Quote:
Well, I started out trying to explain in words, but since it wasn't really working that well, thought I could record myself saying both words. So, here you go:

Juiz and Seleção.

Notice the "ç" in Seleção? In Portuguese, "c" with a vowel after it really sounds like the "ca" in car, as you've said. But when you use Ç instead, the "C" has the sound of "S", like in "Selection".

Oh, by the way, Seleção doesn't mean "chosen" or "selected", it actually stands for "Selection", but I guess it makes sense, since apparently it's a group of chosen people, right? If you wanted to say "chosen" it'd probably be "selecionado" (seleccionado in Portugal) or "escolhido".

Anyway, hopefully this helps, and you're able to figure out what I said since my microphone is in pretty bad shape right now...
It helps a lot, I think I'd give up trying to attempt to say 'juiz' tho xD
So the GITS director is going by phonetical accuracy of the portuguese which means 'selection' - that being the name of the group, (and then we have the chosen 12 to act as representatives) it can remain as 'selection'
"Akira is the 9th member of Selection"
And so on, I guess it'd attribute to that sci-fi, research, military feel, esp if Careless Monday is anything to go by

muito obrigada

*hands over a cookie*

PS: Why the hell are there so many ways just to say 'thank you' xD
It's almost as anal as the Japanese language

Last edited by Mystique; 2009-03-12 at 22:11.
Old 2009-03-18, 21:21   Link #36
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

trailer http://juiz.jp/
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-18, 21:33   Link #37
aardvark

What the hell?

The OP song is by Oasis
aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-18, 21:34   Link #38
Raiga
tl;dr

That's a pretty nifty looking cell phone.

Did I mishear or did they say the story takes place in 11 hours? ^_~
Old 2009-03-18, 21:38   Link #39
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Hot damn, that looks awesome. Why are there so many good series coming out in Spring...? How will I have time for them all?

PS can anyone tell me what 'sekai no juushin' means? It's said in the first few seconds of the trailer.
qmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-18, 21:44   Link #40
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmeister View Post
Hot damn, that looks awesome. Why are there so many good series coming out in Spring...? How will I have time for them all?
Exactly what I've been thinking. XD

Quote:
PS can anyone tell me what 'sekai no juushin' means? It's said in the first few seconds of the trailer.
I was thinking "center of the world," but...
http://www.nihongoresources.com/browse/juushin

Close enough, I guess.

Tags
romance, spy thriller