AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Episode 24 Rating
Perfect 10 93 42.86%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 50 23.04%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 22 10.14%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 7.83%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 3.23%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 0.92%
4 out of 10 : Poor 5 2.30%
3 out of 10 : Bad 5 2.30%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 4 1.84%
1 out of 10 : Painful 12 5.53%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-22, 23:24   Link #481
rg4619

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageGaiGar View Post
Some of the dissent goes back to the drama bits starting to overtake the 'comedy'. Add in the sinking ships and you have an atmosphere that a few fans might not be overly fond of.
Well, there's always going to be some disappointment along the way. However, the main point of amusement is the large spike in 1/10 ratings that occurs upon confirmation of a final coupling.

For some, these stories are reduced to mere sports matches in which only the outcome matters (and not the execution). Specific characters "win" or "lose", and a show is either awesome or lousy depending on whether their favourite heroine "wins".

True Tears was particular telling because of some fake spoilers that circulated at the time of broadcast. We saw some premature 1/10 ratings because people mistakenly thought the girl they were rooting for had "lost".
Old 2009-03-23, 00:39   Link #482
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Yup, exactly what rg4619 said. It has nothing to do with drama taking over comedy, or anything else. It has to do with people's favoured heroine not "winning". That's really all this is about. I mean, just look at the posting history of most of the dissenters in this very thread (or most of the people in the blogosphere posting venting their complaints). Just because someone can write decently and can latch on to a seemingly-decent argument doesn't mean that their "rage" is really for the reasons they're stating. There are some legitimate issues that can be raised of course, but "legitimate issues" alone don't cause drama. Shippers cause drama, and people on /a/ (many of whom are also here, and also on the blogosphere) like to rile up shippers and cause drama. This happens, like clockwork, every time a show does something to upset the shippers. (And it happens because shippers are, generally, desperately looking for someone more eloquent than they are to speak for their "hurt feelings" so they can "me too" the arguments to death.)

Take away the fact that this episode made it absolutely crystal clear who Ryuuji was in love with (if you somehow missed the millions of prior hints), and you're essentially left with some pacing issues, unanswered questions, and parts skipped from the novel. Not that those issues should necessarily be dismissed or anything, but do you really think there'd be such a "huge uproar" over that alone?
Old 2009-03-23, 00:56   Link #483
Keio
Serious Business

To add a little bit to what several posters already said: some of those shippers even accuse people that tell them to enjoy the ride and to not ship as shippers of the "winning heroine". They claim that by following the outcome the author wrote is basically shipping for the final pair. Like this "gem" of a post from a certain anime blog:

Quote:
I didn’t read your reply to my comment from ep. 23 until a few seconds ago. I don’t think you fully read my comment, but anyway-long story short: you have it good. Obviously, you like the Taiga and Ryuuji ending over the other ones people have proposed/suggested. I’m pretty sure if the anime ending up as a Ryuuji and Minori/Ami ending, you would be prettttyyyy ticked. And just because I “ship”, I don’t mindlessly do so. Like yourself, I use context from the story along with my own personal feelings to base my opinions. And actually, the only argument you’ve been putting recently was to tell people to stop shipping and enjoy the ride. Again, you’ve got it good. You’ve got the high ground when debating with other viewers because you see eye to eye with the story and pairing.

But I’m pretty sure there are other animes you’ve watched and you had your own kind of “shipping”; and there were probably things that you didn’t approve of. And if I’m wrong, then go have fun enjoy every anime and other types of story-based entertainment you’ll ever watch. I’m sure you’ll see eye to eye and enjoy the journey of everyone of them.
Really, people are going to do anything to justify their actions even if it sounds completely dumb.

(I removed the name of the person this message was directed at)
Old 2009-03-23, 01:02   Link #484
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

im pretty surprised that anyone ever thought that Ryuji or Taiga were ever going to end up with anyone else. Heck, Taiga told Kitamura about her feelings in episode #2 and he rejected her.

i like all the characters. im just along for the ride. i've never cheered for any of the girls. i would honestly have been happy with any of them as long as it was well written.

I understand what the unnamed poster is saying, Im not sure who that would be true for but there is probably someone who falls under this category.
Old 2009-03-23, 01:08   Link #485
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish eric View Post
i like all the characters. im just along for the ride. i've never cheered for any of the girls. i would honestly have been happy with any of them as long as it was well written.
Although I find Ami to be the most interesting out of the three, this is exactly how I feel on the shipping issue.
Old 2009-03-23, 01:19   Link #486
Nenkitsune

Send a message via AIM to Nenkitsune Send a message via Yahoo to Nenkitsune
Quote:
im pretty surprised that anyone ever thought that Ryuji or Taiga were ever going to end up with anyone else. Heck, Taiga told Kitamura about her feelings in episode #2 and he rejected her.

I understand what the unnamed poster is saying, Im not sure who that would be true for but there is probably someone who falls under this category.
No kidding about episode 2. the way she was talking about Ryuuji already shows that she had some signs of liking him from the start.

もいちど。。。
Old 2009-03-23, 01:21   Link #487
Keio
Serious Business

I feel the same way about the shipping issues. I also liked Ami more than the others until the recent episodes, where Taiga proved her worth to me at least, but never did I let any pairing cloud my focus on the story at hand. Just like what fish_eric said, as long it is well written, it's all good.

People just find the need to ship if there's at least more than one girl going for a guy.

/sigh
Old 2009-03-23, 01:29   Link #488
Taken

Seems like a lot of emotions going on for the previous pages... maybe I would just skip some of it

Personally what I like about episode 24:
1) Minorin's confession and resolving her feelings for Ryuji (with the "gaint's farewell")
2) Ami getting a confirmation from Ryuji and "kicking" him out of her love life
3) Minorin breaking down which makes her more human and hence more endearing.
4) Ryuji and Taiga finally getting their feelings sorted out.

Some might find the eloping a little hard to understand but if you look at Taiga and Ryuji, they just went through a hell lot of confusion to get together. Suddenly, there problems and objections coming from all over. At 17-18, the coolest and easiest thing would most probably be eloping. Even Minori, Ami and Kitamura know that this is bad but supported them. Emotionally they must have felt that it's the right thing to do and gave their support as friends.

After reading some of the post comparing Clannad ~After Story~ and Toradora, I only got this to say. Try comparing Toradora to Clannad Season 1, that's more appropriate imo. It's high school romance vs high school romance. If there is a Toradora ~After Story~ on how Taiga died giving birth to Taiga Jr and she in turn died as well, then it might be a fairer comparison Then maybe the Minorin and Ami shippers might get a chance haha. You want that too eh Kitamura shippers.
Old 2009-03-23, 01:39   Link #489
Keio
Serious Business

Personally, I would like an OVA where we get to see Yuri-sensei's (non-existent) love life. I really find it funny.
Old 2009-03-23, 04:22   Link #490
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taken View Post
After reading some of the post comparing Clannad ~After Story~ and Toradora, I only got this to say. Try comparing Toradora to Clannad Season 1, that's more appropriate imo. It's high school romance vs high school romance. If there is a Toradora ~After Story~ on how Taiga died giving birth to Taiga Jr and she in turn died as well, then it might be a fairer comparison Then maybe the Minorin and Ami shippers might get a chance haha. You want that too eh Kitamura shippers.
Good point there. Clannad is my current favourite but to be honest, I wouldn't have liked Clannad half as much if were not for After Story. I'm not a fan of the "one girl after another" approach that comes with anime adapted from visual novels. And if I were to compare just Nagisa's arc in Clannad Season 1 to Toradora, then Toradora would win hands down. Ditto for the "high school romance" aspect. Taiga Jr...... one thing is for sure, she'd be very different from Ushio -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keio View Post
Personally, I would like an OVA where we get to see Yuri-sensei's (non-existent) love life. I really find it funny.
She reminds me of Yukari-sensei from Azumanga Daioh... well, probably a kinder, gentler, more mature version of Yukari-sensei
Old 2009-03-23, 07:30   Link #491
SageGaiGar
You are Next

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keio View Post
She's my favorite character in the whole series, maybe 'cause I'm closer to her age. XD

And yes, we're dealing with a lolshippers explosion. It's darkly amusing how many people blow up for real/fake reasons.

"For the drama"
Old 2009-03-23, 08:41   Link #492
chaosprophet

Quote:
That certainly happens. I believe that is more visible in shows where an amost certain pairing didn't happen and another happens instead. Then you can see people changing opinions.

I know most of the shippers are like everyone is describing but you can be a shipper without have the ship as the greatest priority. For a long time I rooted and wished for a Minori x Ryuuji but saw that as a nice bonus if it were to happen and never let that hinder my enjoyment. Likewise I wouldn't like if there were other pairing then RxT last episode when everything build up to it.
Old 2009-03-23, 09:36   Link #493
gachax777

Poll Results, haw bad is this episode??
im interested in this poll
i want to hear someones opinion
(´∀`)
Old 2009-03-23, 10:03   Link #494
typhonsentra

It's a great episode, but it's also a harsh one that moves the story forward.

It captures the message from the past few episodes about growing up/moving on very well.
Old 2009-03-23, 10:17   Link #495
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I don't think it's quite as straightforward. She doesn't want to express herself, but she still wants to be seen through. Because it's her dream, she'll go through hardships without complaining. But it'd still be nice if someone could acknowledge her effort.
Finally an answer, sort of, to that part of the episode. This goes well with how Ami responded that Minori shouldn't think of her setback in the romance front as a profound failure in life.
Old 2009-03-23, 10:20   Link #496
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGloval View Post
Finally an answer, sort of, to that part of the episode. This goes well with how Ami responded that Minori shouldn't think of her setback in the romance front as a profound failure in life.
Truly (as Ami said herself) they are still too darn young to worry about losing the best part of their lives, anyway...

Old 2009-03-23, 10:24   Link #497
Jeshua

An 8 from me, but not because of the chapters content, but because of the animation.
10 for content, 6 for animation, 8 for voice acting. Things seemed a little bit rushed but, well, they condensed so much things into one episode...

The final pairing was satisfactory and natural, to my amusement; Everything falls into place without the need for DeusExMachina devices or uncanny dialogues / situations... Superb.

And there is yet more to come?!

Maybe a good ending for Ya-chan! *cross fingers*
Old 2009-03-23, 11:49   Link #498
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukinokesshou View Post
Good point there. Clannad is my current favourite but to be honest, I wouldn't have liked Clannad half as much if were not for After Story. I'm not a fan of the "one girl after another" approach that comes with anime adapted from visual novels. And if I were to compare just Nagisa's arc in Clannad Season 1 to Toradora, then Toradora would win hands down. Ditto for the "high school romance" aspect. Taiga Jr...... one thing is for sure, she'd be very different from Ushio -.-
Was I the only one who giggled like crazy when I read the last bit of this?
Old 2009-03-23, 11:51   Link #499
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Truly (as Ami said herself) they are still too darn young to worry about losing the best part of their lives, anyway...
Life goes on for them. That's the message.
Old 2009-03-23, 12:36   Link #500
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

I'm still hoping for a last episode harem ending.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Closed Thread