AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-01-01, 19:18   Link #1
Sumeragi
Banned

Year of the Snake

According to the Eastern Zodiac, this year is the Year of ths Snake. You might have noticed plenty of snakes slithering around.

However, even within the greater Eastern Zodiac system, there are separate views, based on the three major cultures of East Asia. Shall we look at them?

White Snake (Japan): The White Snake is a symbol of good fortune, for they represent Benzaiten's messengers. Benzaiten (弁才天, 弁財天) was originally a Hindu river goddess named Sarasvatī. She was introduced to Japan via China in the seventh century, and over the years she became associated with a Japanese kami called Ugajin (宇賀神), who was the kami of water, agriculture and good fortune. He was usually depicted as a white snake with the head of an old man. Thus Hindu goddess and Shinto god merged to become Benzaiten, a (mostly) Buddhist goddess of everything that flows – music, art, poetry, water, fertility, fecundity, wealth. Nowadays she's usually portrayed as a woman playing a biwa (a short-necked fretted lute), but you can often spot snakes in the drawing or on the statue. Her temples are always near water, and she remains a major inspiration for artists, a powerful agricultural deity and the only woman among Japan's seven gods of good fortune.

Black Snake (Korea): The Eastern Sexagenary Cycle uses the Ten Heavenly Stems and Twelve Earthly Branches to create a 60-year cycle. Within the Korean version, the Ten Heavenly Stems are color coded like this: Gap/Eul (Blue), Beyong/Jeong (Red), Mu/Gi (Yellow), Gyeong/Shin (White), Im/Gye (Black). Given that this year is Gye-Sa, it would be the Year of the Black Snake. As a side note, Koreans considers the year of Gye-Sa as an year of great change and revolutions, since it is "the meeting of the water of Gye and the Fire of Sa", as in forming a hot spring water.

Water Snake (China): In the Sinosphere, the system is basically the same as the Korean one, but instead of a focus on color there is the focus on the Five Elements, Wu Xing. The Ten Heavenly Stems are divided into into the Five Elements and then sub-classified into the Yang and Yin. Gui/Gwai is "Yin Water" in the Sinosphere, so given that this year is Guisi/Gwaizi, it would be the Year of the "Yin Water Snake".

Such is the way of East Asia looks upon 2013. While similar, perspectives are also quite different. Whatever your view, I hope that 2013 proves to be an fruitful year for you. May you live in interesting times.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-01, 19:51   Link #2
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I was under the impression that the year of the snake begins on February 10th.

The Dragon still reigns supreme!
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-01, 19:55   Link #3
Sumeragi
Banned

Japan uses only the solar calendar, so..... Long live the White Snake!
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-01, 20:00   Link #4
willx
Nyaaan~~

Did someone talk about Snake vs. Dragon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
May you live in interesting times.
^ Interesting turn of phrase. Misquoted Chinese curse/proverb? Neat phrase commemorated by Robert Kennedy?
Old 2013-01-01, 20:07   Link #5
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Did someone talk about Snake vs. Dragon?

Actually as a Dragon, I can assure you what that picture represent is us not giving a hoot about anything

He's really just sleeping
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-01, 21:18   Link #6
LeoXiao
思想工作

*sigh*

I thought 2012 would be more productive for me than 2011, but I can't say I have much hope for '13 given how things actually turned out. Anyways, nice to know about the variations in tradition regarding the zodiac. I'll keep my eyes out for revolutions.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-01, 22:04   Link #7
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Since i am still following tradition from Chinese calendar. I have to wait for 10th February to welcome Water Snake...

Though if this snake come knocking on my door, i wont refuse her...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-01, 22:06   Link #8
Kirarakim

On a building in Ginza

Spoiler for 2 others pics of it:
Old 2013-01-01, 22:44   Link #9
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
Since i am still following tradition from Chinese calendar. I have to wait for 10th February to welcome Water Snake...

Though if this snake come knocking on my door, i wont refuse her...
Stop stealing my waifu.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-01, 22:57   Link #10
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Stop stealing my waifu.
If she's the one that comes to me, it doesnt count as stealing...

Quote:
2013 is Year of the Snake and it will arrive on February 4, 2013. (Note: Chinese New Year Day is on February 10, 2013. The first day of 2013 Chinese Astrology Year is on February 4, 2013.) Many people are eager to know if they will have better luck in the forthcoming year than previous years. Here, we want to use Chinese Astrology's Five Elements (Metal, Water, Wood, Fire and Earth) theory to explain people's fortune in 2013 and foresee what will happen in their lives in the Water Snake year.
Hoo, interesting...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-01, 22:57   Link #11
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Us rabbits will be ok in this year...

Yeah>>!!!!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-02, 01:06   Link #12
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

2013 huh. this year kinda big for me for certain reason. i wonder if i can do it.

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-02, 01:29   Link #13
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhài)
*Graphic Designer

Year of the uncompatibility for me. according to the Chinese animals thingy,
i'm suppose to get along with Cat/rabbit (shy) and sheep (pervert). the snake (poisonus...i guess) will probably
eat me (boar - noble & chiverous). *runs for dear life*

i already have like 3 fire breathing dragons (successful, lots of friends) in my family. i dont need another
snake to go around and eat me as well.

Last edited by Xefi; 2013-01-02 at 01:43.
Xefi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-02, 02:43   Link #14
WolfricHilde

Location: Seoul, South Korea / Nagoya, Japan / New Jersey, USA
I'm gonna celebrate 2x! I'm going to Ise Jingu on Friday, then I can celebrate the lunar new year in Seoul on Feb 10!
(〜°㉨°)〜
Old 2013-01-02, 05:13   Link #15
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Us rabbits will be ok in this year...

Yeah>>!!!!
Not true lol. Depending on your elemental sign, you could have trouble this year.

The previous year is not a good year for dragons - the existence of water dragon means Fire and Earth elements have to suffer - Fire will be quenched while Earth has to take up responsibilities. Being in the year of the Snake, the Water Snake could mean that the Earth dragons (born in 1988-1989) will have to fight unpleasant responsibilities, which is a pain because their main emotion is "love" and it is not in their spectrum to "fight", while Fire elements will be under the control of the Water snake, and may be incredibly unpleasant because a snake is known to be slithery and backstabbing.

And if one is to take into account Bazi, it becomes even more confusing. That I will have to ask one of my "uncles" whose hobby is astrology.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-01-02, 05:22   Link #16
judasmartel
*Author

Being an Earth Dragon is suffering. T_T
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-02, 05:27   Link #17
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
Well the old man joked to me, "Only the dumbest snakes will attempt to eat the dragon. The dragon is the biggest of all zodiac animals, and even if the snake does eat it, it will choke to death."

Remember, the only way a snake can eat a dragon is only when the dragon is asleep. Keep yourself sharp, and nobody will dare to eat you. Those who can challenge you and defeat you in a straight up fight will only make you stronger (Tigers are fiercer, Horses are stronger, Monkeys are smarter, and Mice.....are always faster).

Old 2013-01-02, 06:06   Link #18
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Not true lol. Depending on your elemental sign, you could have trouble this year.
Hah, That depends on who's astrologer you are believing.....!!!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-02, 07:22   Link #19
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
Apparently I'm a Water Dragon, whatever that means... >_>

Nope, scratch that, did my own research and I'm the same as you an Earth Dragon... =_=

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2013-01-02 at 07:36.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-02, 07:31   Link #20
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Happy Year of the (Nadeko) Snake!
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote