AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-03-17, 12:07   Link #1
Seiryuu

Manga for someone learning Japanese

Ok, I have a friend who's a big anime fan. He's trying to learn to speak and read Japanese, and had an unusual request. He thought that it might help him to learn it if he had some basic (relatively young audience) manga that he could work at translating, looking up the words and kanji as he goes to figure out what's being said. I'm not asking for RAWs of anime/manga, just names of manga that have relatively simple content (and maybe helper hiragana beside the kanji) that might be useful for this sort of thing. If I can't find a copy of the manga in RAW format, I imagine he'll save up and import it through online stores.

Just make sure it's relatively simple, and, since my friend's a little more conservative than me, light on the fanservice.

EDIT: Sorry, put this in the Manga section by accident. This should be in Suggestions.
Old 2012-03-17, 12:25   Link #2
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Your friend might want to give Doraemon manga a try. It has simple but still interesting story. The manga target the young audience and the only fanservices you'll get from it are elementary-school girl taking a bath or changing clothes, nothing fancy ^_^.
Old 2012-03-17, 13:01   Link #3
surerman
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to surerman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Your friend might want to give Doraemon manga a try. It has simple but still interesting story. The manga target the young audience and the only fanservices you'll get from it are elementary-school girl taking a bath or changing clothes, nothing fancy ^_^.
I think he want some manga that have little word on it
try Kobo-chan then, it's have little to no text at all, easy to translate

good luck for Ur friend
Old 2012-03-17, 13:25   Link #4
Utsuro no Hako

I've been practicing with Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui. Every kanji has furigana but the story is interesting enough to keep an adult's attention, plus there's a scanlation he can compare against. There's no fanservice but some of the subject matter is PG-13 level.
Old 2012-03-17, 15:02   Link #5
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by surerman View Post
I think he want some manga that have little word on it
try Kobo-chan then, it's have little to no text at all, easy to translate

good luck for Ur friend
Hmm... I don't know. Even though Doraemon has more words than 4-koma manga like Kobo-chan, I think the Japanese in it is still simple/easy enough .

But, yeah, 4-koma manga is also a good suggestion. He might not quite "get" the humor in Kobo-chan though .
Old 2012-03-17, 17:20   Link #6
LifeILL

Any manga would work, as long as it's written by native Japanese for other native Japanese.

Here's what I did. I learned Japanese for a while from textbooks and classes, it was boring as hell. I would forget vocab, forget grammar (I could care less about grammar), and all that nonsense. So what did I do? I started reading things I WANT TO read, regardless of how hard they were, as long as they were of my interest and as long as they were native Japanese.

So I bought this 500 page Japanese detective novel. And I started reading it, at first it was hard as hell like you won't believe, I could only get through 3 pages a day, but you know the book was interesting, the story was interesting, so I kept on reading it, I would actually REMEMBER vocabulary words and stuff like that. And before long I was reading 10 pages a day. And after a couple of months, I finished the whole novel.

Now I can read any Japanese novel, news, bbs message boards without any problem.

Just read any manga that your friend is interested, as long as it is in Japanese.
Closed Thread