Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-06-24, 06:22   Link #1
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Atashin'chi

It's been far too long since I last saw this show - amazingly, it's as good as I remember. I just love watchin' the Tachibanis get down 'n' dirty behind closed doors...

There isn't much to the show - it's just a slice of life (often eaten with a dirty fork). The four Tachibanis include two teenagers, so everyone treats everyone else like an alien life form - nothing amazing about that, IIRC....

Visually it's amusing but mind-numbingly simple. The OP and ED are fun, but other than that, the only music seems to be the mom humming along to this one song that got stuck in her head who-knows-how-many years ago...

But the humor is razor sharp and double-edged - each sketch can turn viciously against the seemingly innocent party in seconds. And the show doesn't try to be "zany" - there's enough weirdness in everyday life when you have to watch someone else doing it their way every day...

Last edited by babbito2k; 2004-06-24 at 16:23.
Old 2004-06-24, 07:05   Link #2
xris
Just call me Ojisan

I enjoyed this series as well (or at least the first five eps which I've so far seen).

The series has a very My Neighbors the Yamadas feel to it, both feature a slice-of-life look at a 'typical' Japanese family and they both have an unusual art style.

Fully agree with your description babbito2k. I like the ED sequence especially, a mix of RL background with the family performing a synchronized 'dance' sequence while walking through the neighbourhood backstreets.

And does the Mom (or at least her hairstyle) remind anyone else of the Lock Ness Monster (or some aquatic Monster From the Deep)
Old 2004-06-24, 07:13   Link #3
Tarantula

More like a thumb with hair

When I first saw her, I laughed tears. Also the little sequences with her are very funny.

Is Oretachi picking up the series again, or will United Anime continue where Oretachi stopped? I would appreciate to see more of Atashin'chi.

btw: Is it Atashin'chi or Atashi'n chi? AnimeSuki lists it as Atashi'n chi. A mistake?

Last edited by Tarantula; 2004-06-24 at 07:25.
Old 2004-06-24, 07:21   Link #4
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarantula
btw: Is it Atashin'chi or Atashi'n chi? AnimeSuki lists it as Atashi'n chi. A mistake?
Yes, it seems NoSanninWa used the spelling found on ANN (at a guess) when he created the entry. I've now corrected it to Atashin'chi as that's how it's spelt on the Japanese web site. They actually have it as ATASHIn'CHI, not sure of the reason for the choice of upper case letters.
Old 2004-06-24, 08:04   Link #5
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
I believe United-Anime will be continuing with it. I'm pretty sure that greenkabbage from live-evil is actually doing the translations for them, and he's one of the most dedicated translators around, so hopefully we'll see some good progress on it! ^^

-Tofu
Old 2004-06-24, 09:19   Link #6
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarantula
More like a thumb with hair
Yeah, I kinda noticed that myself. It's one of those anime that's like uber weird in the art department, but hits it right on in the humor department. Even though I haven't seen that, I simply say that because if it makes Xris laugh, then it's GOT to be funny. (ducks and runs from the Xris bat of doom. )
Old 2004-06-24, 18:14   Link #7
ChocoEd
Chibi no Choco

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris
They actually have it as ATASHIn'CHI, not sure of the reason for the choice of upper case letters.
It's because the title is a slang abbreviation of "Atashi no Uchi" (my home). The "n" is just what's left over from the little possessive "no" particle rather than a continuation of the first word in the title, hence the strange capitalization to set it apart.
Old 2004-07-01, 17:06   Link #8
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Hey, question about this series. Most specifically the mom. What is that song she's always humming to herself? We get like the first 3 words, then nothing. I'm guessing it's something she likes a lot, but we don't get enough to tell what it is and the words aren't translated in the sub.
Old 2004-07-01, 17:47   Link #9
Itlandm
Porcupine

This is the first anime I have ever watched an episode of, where the graphics were so awfully ugly that I wished it was text-only. It was just plain disgusting, the drawing of the mother in particular is vicious. It is just not right to portray a mother like that!

The story, if that's the right word, is excellent though. It is really strange and believable at the same time. We all know that in families, weird things do happen.
Old 2004-07-01, 18:16   Link #10
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Believe it or not, the distorted, off color, and low quality apparent drawing of the anime to me just makes it all that much funnier, mostly because you kinda expect funny stuff to happen.
Old 2004-07-24, 01:53   Link #11
Cheesemon
Inactive Member

Very late reaction, but I *finally* finished watching all ten episodes and each one is just brilliant, and one of the best subbing I've seen. I was so happy to see this subbed, this was actually #1 on my request list, and I really hope the fansubbing will continue, esp since it will likely never be licensed. Sadly, the demand isn't exactly Naruto levels and the raws are hard to come by, so chances are slim.

Maybe if we advertise that the unique and cute voice of Pacifica voices the main character, then maybe the giant Scrapped Princess fandom will take a look.

That is, if the giant Scrapped Princess fandom will click on a thread of an anime they've never heard of and read this. =/
Old 2004-07-24, 04:18   Link #12
FriedBunny
Ayeeeee!

Well, you folks have sold me enough so as to seek out a few episodes... now if there were only seeds on UA's portion of the scarywater tracker.

/me starts (politely) begging
Old 2004-07-24, 10:32   Link #13
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Yup, this show just rocks. I'm also waiting impatiently...er, anxiously for the rest to be subbed. The "thumb" mom is just such a trip, and so's the daughter.
Old 2004-07-25, 01:02   Link #14
Don Eunuch
Lin Er

Mom looks like the Bubble Bubble game character. I like this show!
Old 2004-08-20, 23:26   Link #15
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Glad to see episode 11. The "Millenium Steak" bit was crazy.
Old 2006-10-08, 19:55   Link #16
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Ok, this one getting licenced was a huge surprise. I just heard about this today. Who woulda thought. eh?
Old 2006-10-09, 06:25   Link #17
xris
Just call me Ojisan

There seems to be some question if the license is just for the movie or for the TV series. It is something like 200 episodes and still running.
Old 2006-10-09, 11:57   Link #18
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

If someone could clarify which it is, that'd be great. Not that it matters much, but I do hate gray areas when it comes to licencing.
Old 2006-10-16, 11:47   Link #19
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Ok, I'm a little late getting back to this, but I saw in the licenced anime listing that this anime plus several others had been removed on account of a C&D letter from Funimation. Was there any clarification for why they were listed in the C&D, or was Funi just being a pack of *******'s again?
Old 2008-04-24, 23:41   Link #20
sa547
*Author

Sorry for a bit of a resurrection of this thread, but it's now being aired on Hero TV (Philippines) with Tagalog dubbing, and now one of my favorite laugh-a-thons since the Simpsons and American Dad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
And does the Mom (or at least her hairstyle) remind anyone else of the Lock Ness Monster (or some aquatic Monster From the Deep)

Episode 216 may have been a response to long-standing commentaries regarding Mom's semblance to Godzilla.

(Note regarding the link to YT: You may remove the link if it violates copyright guidelines)

Last edited by sa547; 2008-04-24 at 23:48. Reason: Added note to YT reference
Closed Thread