AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2007-03-01, 01:36   Link #61
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Ditto. I've also stopped getting that pop-up. Checking my UserCP shows that I should still get the pop-up. It's rather annoying since I really want to know promptly when I get a PM instead of having to actually check.

I suspect that this is an option Mb81 turned off while he checks the server's load in its new configuration. I suppose it is better than getting MySQL errors again...

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-01, 02:42   Link #62
Joojoobees

I was having this problem a lot yesterday, but haven't experienced it at all today.

"Yay!" for the technical guys who worked it out!
Old 2007-03-01, 06:23   Link #63
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

"MySQL Fix" is the forum's current "bbclosedreason" setting, Mb81 set it when he was fixing some MySQL problems (for performance) a couple of days ago, very early in the morning, just before closing the forum. I assume he also switched off a number of other forum features to lower the database load (including but possibly not limited to: "who is viewing this thread" and "check for PMs on every page"). The "bbclosedreason" message is what is shown to non Administrators when the forum is closed. NoSanninWa posted an example of what the Administrators see when the forum is closed (the Red on White alert bar at the top and bottom of the page).

The forum closed setting is, like all settings, cached on each of the web servers. When Mb81 turned the forum back on, this setting wasn't propagate to each of the servers. Which resulted in one of them still being closed (and returning "MySQL Fix" rather than processing the requests). This results in unpredictable behaviour when the posting because you may compose and preview your post via one server, and then be load-balanced to the closed server when actually posting (resulting in a failed post). It gets worse if an AJAX feature (such as post editing) tries to talk to the closed server because that just stops responding.

This is not directly related to the "500" errors, though Mb81's fixes might have been to resolve those in addition to increasing MySQL performance.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-01, 07:33   Link #64
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Ah. Thank you. I was wondering why nobody else saw the same error message I was seeing.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-01, 08:06   Link #65
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Well, I think the 500 Internal Server Error message, is quite a reasonable response if the forums php-routines cannot access the database, or otherwise timeout?
Old 2007-03-01, 10:50   Link #66
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto Lin View Post
Well, I think the 500 Internal Server Error message, is quite a reasonable response if the forums php-routines cannot access the database, or otherwise timeout?
No you'd still see an error message in that case. A 500 Internal Server Error would occur if something really bad happens with PHP or Apache, from which the webserver is still able to recover in such a way that it can set this message (if it crashed completely it would result in a 'white page').
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-02, 07:32   Link #67
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Before anyone asks, yes, the forums seem to have been down for the last 13 hours. Most likely more problems with the recent load balancing upgrade, it hasn't been going that well really.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-02, 07:53   Link #68
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto Lin View Post
As demonstrated, you don't get a 500 Internal Server Error, but another error in that case
Old 2007-03-02, 21:11   Link #69
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
As demonstrated, you don't get a 500 Internal Server Error, but another error in that case
^^' I missed that one. But I believe you, when you say it is so. No need to prove it (its was meant to be more like a question)
Old 2007-03-11, 15:00   Link #70
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
I've been having connection problems all day, and now this post says ' Last edited by Sonhex : Today at 20:04'. I'm in the UK (GMT) so this is an hour ahead. I'm on Suiseiseki if that helps diagnose the problem...
Yeah, I've been having headaches all day long when trying to connect to the forums, I was receiving EXTREMELY slow speed and it was impossible to quickpost (I was trying to post my problem here...). Now it's back to normal, I guess.

EDIT:

There's something wrong with times, I mean, Sonhex's post was made before my post (how would I quote him otherwise?) and however it appears as done 8 minutes after mine :S

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-11, 15:08   Link #71
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

I've been having connection problems all day, and now this post says ' Last edited by Sonhex : Today at 20:04'. I'm in the UK (GMT) so this is an hour ahead. I'm on Suiseiseki if that helps diagnose the problem...
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-11, 18:31   Link #72
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
Starting from today, the daylight saving is effective in US, maybe that one hour difference is a reason for the message you received.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-11, 19:32   Link #73
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

A question about number of viewings.

Since 2 weeks ago or so i cant see the number of people viewing the forums. For example lets say it says 400 people are viewing the current series forums but when i enter it , it wont say like how many for each of them. It used to list it.
Old 2007-03-11, 20:36   Link #74
monir
cho~ kakkoii

It's one of the feature that has been turned off. Take a look at this post and read on.

Last edited by NightWish; 2007-03-12 at 01:42. Reason: Link fixed ;)
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-12, 09:31   Link #75
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
It's one of the feature that has been turned off. Take a look at this post and read on.
Turned off permanently?
Old 2007-03-12, 11:25   Link #76
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Turned off permanently?
Depending on how things go, we might be able to turn this feature back on in a few days.