AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 35 22.58%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 58 37.42%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 34 21.94%
7 out of 10 : Good 19 12.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 3.23%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.29%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.29%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-04-18, 10:07   Link #121
TypeR
Fate X Destiny

First post here in this anime as I've just watched 3 episodes without prior knowledge to the novel or manga or anything related.

So as I was watching ep1, I was like "what the heck is this about???!?!?!?" since it got really confusing and I pinched myself to see if I was dreaming (I was half-asleep)

Anyways, I'm liking this anime so far but I'm still wondering, these people...they aren't actually dead are they? More like in a state of coma or in a dream of some sort?

Edit: Dang, why'd they take out Iwasawa so early T_T.
Old 2010-04-18, 11:58   Link #122
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec289 View Post
Iwasawa's disappearance was caused by understanding what she sought to figure out. It seems that in her circumstances in her real life, growing up in a unhappy home and losing everything that she wished for in life would lead her to a question as to why she was born into such an unfair situation. You can see that right before she disappears when she says "Continuing to sing like this... Thats the reason I was born".

Through living in the "Afterlife" she was able to see the affects of her music on those around her. In the final scene we see that her ballad that Yuri originally rejects was able to quell the anger between the students and the adults trying to stop them. I believe that at this point she was finally able to come to the realization that she was born into such a bad situation in order to save those around her in the way she was saved. Without her experience of an unhappy home and the unfairness of life she wouldn't be able to write the songs that affected those around her so much. Finally, with that she was able to come to terms with her life and "move on".

That's what I got out of it anyway and I apologize if this has already been covered.
Not only do I consider this a great explanation, it also suggests that each member of of the SSS team will have a different path to follow. Thank you!
Old 2010-04-18, 12:27   Link #123
Farix

Thinks we know about "Angle":

1. She denies being an "Angle" in episode one.
2. She claims to be the student council president, this is reinforced when one of the non-SSS students calls her by that title.
3. Yuri's comments in the first episode indicates that "Angle" has no reason to hide the truth.
4. Yuri claims that "Angle" is not good with people.
5. In episode 3, the other students seem to argue back at her about the concert. If they really were NPCs, this sort of descent wouldn't have taken place.
6. The SSS members clearly fear that they will be "erased" if she catches them. But she doesn't actively pursue them.
7. If "Angle's" truly wants to to suppress the SSS's activities, why doesn't she become more aggressive? But to the contrary, she never takes any action against the SSS unless they provoke her first.
8. Now we know that "Angle's" powers are ones she created using the exact same methods that the SSS uses to make their weapons and equipment. Of course we still don't know why she created her powers or exactly how as it conflicts with what was explained in the previous episode about only being able to create things from one's own memories.
Old 2010-04-18, 12:37   Link #124
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farix View Post
Thinks we know about "Angle":
Is she an acute angle?

About the NPCs, if they're true "NPCs", they're still designed to act as normal people would. This includes having interests and getting mad when someone tries to stop them from being involved in their interest. If they didn't act normal, then it wouldn't work as a true simulation.

Of course, this all assumes they're actually NPCs.
Old 2010-04-18, 12:42   Link #125
Wrath88
Kissing...

This is what I love about this series: so much to uncover about the underlying system.
Old 2010-04-18, 12:48   Link #126
Skane
Anime Snark

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Is she an acute angle? ~
Part of me wants this to be a clever pun, but yes. Yes, sir-ree, she's a cute Angel.

Cheers.
Old 2010-04-18, 13:09   Link #127
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrath88 View Post
This is what I love about this series: so much to uncover about the underlying system.
That may be the only thing I like about it, but yes. It certainly seems that our merry band are in fact some kind of demons or "hungry ghosts"-- souls that still have things about their lives to work through before they can properly wink out or be reincarnated (or maybe return to life). I'm sorry to see Sawashiro Miyuki disappear, but I was glad for her character. And it was great to get a bit of the human side of Tenshi.

Purgatory High.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2010-04-18, 13:26   Link #128
Eater of All
NOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farix View Post
7. If "Angle's" truly wants to to suppress the SSS's activities, why doesn't she become more aggressive? But to the contrary, she never takes any action against the SSS unless they provoke her first.
Who knows, perhaps she's merely humoring the SSS by pretending to go after them, and in a way trying to satisfy their desire to rebel against fate or whatever. So she's intentionally playing the "Bad Guy" to help them vent their frustration.

...Depressing.

Quote:
About the NPCs, if they're true "NPCs", they're still designed to act as normal people would. This includes having interests and getting mad when someone tries to stop them from being involved in their interest. If they didn't act normal, then it wouldn't work as a true simulation.

Of course, this all assumes they're actually NPCs.
I've noticed the anime deliberately having Otonashi remark how "advanced" and "trendy" these NPCs are a few times during both the explanation in ep01 and in the beginning of ep03, and it seems to me that they're slyly hinting to something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Part of me wants this to be a clever pun, but yes. Yes, sir-ree, she's a cute Angel.
Ditto.
Old 2010-04-18, 14:32   Link #129
Kudryavka

Since the gang found out that Angel prob uses methods similar to theirs to get her powers, I'm seeing the possibility of Angel being a regular spirit who feels a need to help fellow spirits. Or maybe she first came to the world as a regular spirit, then got promoted to keeping all the spirits in check and on the path to eternal rest/reincarnation/???.
Old 2010-04-18, 14:55   Link #130
Joachim
et tu, brute?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
Since the gang found out that Angel prob uses methods similar to theirs to get her powers, I'm seeing the possibility of Angel being a regular spirit who feels a need to help fellow spirits. Or maybe she first came to the world as a regular spirit, then got promoted to keeping all the spirits in check and on the path to eternal rest/reincarnation/???.
same here, i also thought something like that along the line when yurippe announced to the whole member that the angel was developing her own power not by the help of "god" which makes her somewhat a spirit of the same level as all of them.. well somewhat.
Old 2010-04-18, 14:59   Link #131
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
Or maybe she was originally just a normal student council president who dead with regrets regarding her unfulfilled duties.

Now in the after-world she has a second chance to fulfil her duties to manage a school properly and resolve her regrets. But she can never do so due to the rebellious SSS members.

The whole thing then ends up as an arms race as it is now, with Angel creating her own super powers to allow her to counter the rebels, and the SSS members creating more firearms to retaliate and resist her control.

Both sides end up being stuck in that world and neither side can get anywhere.
Old 2010-04-18, 15:08   Link #132
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

What Yuri and the SSS learned from breaking in Tenshi's room was that the way she was developing her Guard Skills was the same as they were building weapons. This doesn't prove that she was human, it simply means that even Tenshi the supposed GM of this world needs to follow the laws of the world to create weapons and isn't able to bypass them. To say that Tenshi was human when she was alive (if she was alive in the first place) means that in order to create those skills she needs to have known how to create them in real life. Now looking at what sort of Skills she had been using until now coupled with the preview of the GS:Harmonic, Tenshi's Guard Skills are simply too abstract for her to be using just human knowledge.

I seriously can't see how Tenshi could possibly be human, unless she had died in the year 3XXX and is using her advance knowledge from the future to keep the school in check.
Old 2010-04-18, 16:25   Link #133
DarkWish
Proclaimed Perv

Send a message via MSN to DarkWish
I am shocked after seeing the 3th episode.. i changed my opinion these is not a anime related to supernatural things (well it is since its all aobut after life) , its more like a dramma , i didnt except these to happen just like that in 3th episode . I totaly changed my opinion and.. theory about the anime and i .. dont really hope my theory is right.

Must see episode 4.. MUST.

Im just feeling sad about evry1 haveing such a hard.. past even tenshi i beleve , why did they all have to have such a life b4 they died.
Old 2010-04-18, 16:32   Link #134
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWish View Post
I am shocked after seeing the 3th episode.. i changed my opinion these is not a anime related to supernatural things (well it is since its all aobut after life) , its more like a dramma , i didnt except these to happen just like that in 3th episode . I totaly changed my opinion and.. theory about the anime and i .. dont really hope my theory is right.

Must see episode 4.. MUST.

Im just feeling sad about evry1 haveing such a hard.. past even tenshi i beleve , why did they all have to have such a life b4 they died.
3rd, ma'am. And Jun Maeda is a synonym for tear jerking drama.

I'm looking at how the two pasts we've seen so far are dreadful. I hope that not every spirit spills about the screwed up boo-hoo lives they had, because it won't make sense for everyone to have ugly pasts. There's gotta be some with relatively enjoyable lives, unless those are the "NPCs" and the SSS crew is made up of spirits fighting order b/c of their bleak memories. I sure hope they aren't all following the same "God is evil" logic like Yuri.

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2010-04-18 at 21:43.
Old 2010-04-18, 17:02   Link #135
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Everything you knew was wrong; and everyone is left wondering what the hell is with this place if Angel has to generate her own stuff. So perhaps conforming doesn't guarantee disappearance?

Highlights of this episode include that dumbass being overwhelmed by the dights of PI. Yes, they realize they are stupid-- it's the first step.

Iwasawa's story reminded me of something like "Behind the music". I didn't really buy into it til she was already gone. But at least she met her dream if only for a brief moment. 7/10 for this episode.

Also watch out for Key energy drinks; so that's what the hell Fuko has been drinking.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-04-18, 18:19   Link #136
alu546
y prime

Send a message via AIM to alu546
"Our weakness is that we're stupid.

Yeah pretty much.

This episode shows the direction of the story though, coming to terms with whatever crap happened to them in life. Methinks they go to a better place at that point.
Old 2010-04-18, 19:16   Link #137
kyosak
poo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alu546 View Post
"Our weakness is that we're stupid.
Man this part really made me lol when I was watching it.
Old 2010-04-18, 20:52   Link #138
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Is she an acute angle?
She seems pretty obtuse to me, Data Integration Thought Entity powers notwithstanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec289 View Post
Iwasawa's disappearance was caused by understanding what she sought to figure out. It seems that in her circumstances in her real life, growing up in a unhappy home and losing everything that she wished for in life would lead her to a question as to why she was born into such an unfair situation. You can see that right before she disappears when she says "Continuing to sing like this... Thats the reason I was born".

Through living in the "Afterlife" she was able to see the affects of her music on those around her. In the final scene we see that her ballad that Yuri originally rejects was able to quell the anger between the students and the adults trying to stop them. I believe that at this point she was finally able to come to the realization that she was born into such a bad situation in order to save those around her in the way she was saved. Without her experience of an unhappy home and the unfairness of life she wouldn't be able to write the songs that affected those around her so much. Finally, with that she was able to come to terms with her life and "move on".
Though you still have the unfairness of losing her voice (and I guess dying from the brain damage later on?), and thus not having the opportunity to save others while she was alive...
Old 2010-04-18, 22:07   Link #139
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I really hope we don't go through each character's tragic story. It's really depressing.
Old 2010-04-18, 22:43   Link #140
touge-n00b
ZC6 Eishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
I really hope we don't go through each character's tragic story. It's really depressing.
Well this IS Jun Maeda.....
Closed Thread