AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-02-09, 22:39   Link #2181
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Dragonball Z plays perfectly to the little boy who wants to grow up and be strong. If you don't fit that category or watch it too late in life, you won't get it. If you did catch it during the golden viewing period, you'll probably look back fondly on it for years to come. That's my story, anyways. DBZ (along with some other stuff like World's Strongest Man) actually motivated me to become a competitive powerlifter. There's nothing like it; the fights are so over the top epic with characters being punched through mountains, the world is fantastical yet simple enough for a young kid to understand, and no matter how crazy strong the heroes get they always have to train their asses off to get there, giving the illusion that maybe you too can someday be a superhuman if you try hard enough. And despite the many flaws when one is looking for a well written narrative, I do truly believe Dragonball had a very unique and creative world behind it.
Old 2013-02-11, 02:38   Link #2182
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
It does a lot wrong, but I always thought of DBZ as intending to be a gratifying show to watch.

So Muv-Luv Alternative - Total Eclipse is drawing to a close on my end, and it can't end soon enough. Normally I do a great job of picking anime that I can enjoy watching, and for all my criticism I have to give I usually still find enjoyment in what I've seen.

Spoiler for Severe criticism within. A little bit of plot discussion.:

I've seen it mentioned that people want another season of this. Apparently a lot of people liked it.

My regret at this moment is that I have two episodes left.
To be fully honest I agree with you. The number of episodes worth seeing in that show number about 6. The two first ones, the ones set in Russia, and then the last two. And even then they are good and not great.
Old 2013-02-11, 03:24   Link #2183
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
So Muv-Luv Alternative - Total Eclipse is drawing to a close on my end, and it can't end soon enough. Normally I do a great job of picking anime that I can enjoy watching, and for all my criticism I have to give I usually still find enjoyment in what I've seen.

Spoiler for Severe criticism within. A little bit of plot discussion.:
Please don't refer to Total Eclipse as "Muv-Luv". It is only a spinoff of the Muv-Luv visual novel, which makes up the original story. The characters and plot are completely different despite them sharing the same world.

I can't guarantee you'd like the VN, though. It has a lot of cliches too, but I didn't find them as egregiously bad as the cliches in Total Eclipse. And the first part is mostly comedy, so it works somewhat as a parody. Well, if you liked freaking Code Geass, cliches alone shouldn't be a problem.

I agree with you, though: Total Eclipse is plain awful. And I don't know where you've been hanging around, but the community I usually go to only enjoyed it in an ironic fashion, with few people genuinely liking the show.
Old 2013-02-11, 05:12   Link #2184
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Please don't refer to Total Eclipse as "Muv-Luv". It is only a spinoff of the Muv-Luv visual novel, which makes up the original story. The characters and plot are completely different despite them sharing the same world.
My first reference was to the anime by name. All subsequent references of "Muv-Luv" are thus the same unless stated otherwise

I'm glad to see that some people actually agree with me though.
Old 2013-02-11, 08:52   Link #2185
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

I've never been able to get into One Piece too much because of the huge amount of volumes it has (I think about 70) and the fact it will get a lot longer (probably 100). I was going to get into it when I heard about Ace's Execution arc but then the series returned to its typical story arcs. I don't hate it, I'm just indifferent.
Old 2013-02-12, 23:10   Link #2186
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Dragonball Z plays perfectly to the little boy who wants to grow up and be strong.
I can understand that but you don't need twenty episodes to show every attack a hero throws at the villain and vice-versa in a single fight.

That's my biggest complaint with the series. Not even Sailormoon's fights were ridiculously that long. Usagi could kill one monster per episode and if it was a Big Bad, they normally took care of it in at the very longest, three episodes!

This is also why I strongly prefer Bleach or Yu Yu Hakusho over DBZ.
KILL THE GUY. GET IT OVER WITH.
It doesn't take them twenty-plus episodes to do that!
Old 2013-02-12, 23:21   Link #2187
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Still on Namek.....
Old 2013-02-13, 01:53   Link #2188
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Isn't that why there's the existence of a recut version called Dragon Ball Z Kai? It significantly lessens the stretched out lengths of those fights and removes all filler completely.

There's still some exaggeration though. Now matter how much padding you cut out you can never make me believe Goku's fight against Frieza as a Super Saiyan was less than 5 minutes long.

It was still epic to watch of course.~
Old 2013-02-13, 04:47   Link #2189
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
With most tsundere, it's not exactly "nothing".....

But Kagami feels like one of those snooty high school girls that plagued everyone's public school growing up.... so it's hard for me to like her.

Spoiler:

Old 2013-02-13, 05:05   Link #2190
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

It is fortunate that Kagami was not like that. Being a Full Metal Panic fangirl as well as likely a few other things.
Old 2013-02-13, 05:29   Link #2191
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Spoiler:

Lucky Star irl, then she bumped her head and hallucinates. In that dream, the manga chapter 1 starts where her haters Kagami, twin sister and the beautiful otaku hater Miyuki who spits on her, all love her and are her friends.

This comic is so sad...

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2013-02-13 at 08:21.
Old 2013-02-13, 07:20   Link #2192
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

So Total Eclipse ended exactly like Highschool of the Dead — an interesting premise destroyed by scenes that should not fit in the premise. The worst part here is that the sales of Total Eclipse probably became the basis for a full-blown Muv-Luv series.

Quote:
I don't mind the normal fans... it's the other fans I'm pointing too.... the very speculative, delusional ones who makes stuffs though it doesn't exist....
You meant the followers of the Church of Madoka?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2013-02-13, 09:48   Link #2193
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Quote:
I don't mind the normal fans... it's the other fans I'm pointing too.... the very speculative, delusional ones who makes stuffs though it doesn't exist....
You meant the followers of the Church of Madoka?
As someone who's a fan of Madoka Magica, I thought the fanbase wasn't that obnoxious. This is not until I started browsing 4chan that I realized that the fanbase not only want more darkness each time a new Gen show is announced (I really noticed that once I started watching Psycho-Pass), I also learned how delusionnal the yuri shippers were though I don't mind any gay stuff (in-series or not) as long it looks good and well-told. This is also why I avoid most Vividred Operation threads even though I enjoyed the show itself.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
Old 2013-02-13, 10:01   Link #2194
Shyni

I find the Madoka Magica fandom annoying because I'm pretty sure Homura isn't nearly the perv fanart depicts her as.
Old 2013-02-13, 12:24   Link #2195
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyni View Post
I find the Madoka Magica fandom annoying because I'm pretty sure Homura isn't nearly the perv fanart depicts her as.
She isn't. "Pantyhead Homura" is probably my most disliked meme in all of the anime fandom. Anime memes often involve some fan interpretation, but at least they're usually based on some actual scene or moment from the show. By contrast, Pantyhead Homura is a total, 100% fabrication (I honestly wonder what spawned this meme).

Please don't judge Madoka Magica on the basis of its memes. And know that not all Madoka Magica fans are the same when it comes to them.
Old 2013-02-13, 13:02   Link #2196
Shyni

Well, I ordered the UK DVD set, so (hopefully) I'll be able to find out whether you're right. I'm pretty sure you are, but it's been quite a while since I actually watched the show.
Old 2013-02-15, 14:32   Link #2197
kitten320

That's why I try to stay away from fandoms, they tend to ruin show/character for me before I actually watch it or see them

Though Madoka fandom is not so bad and every anime has its set of dumb/pervy images. Makes me wonder who in the right mind would look at them or better who in the right mind would actually draw them to begin with.

Pervy Homura is over done but you can't deny the fact that Madoka is VERY important to her and that she would do anything.
Silly memes like that usually have a base and that's it.
Old 2013-02-16, 00:48   Link #2198
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Unless it's meant to be a joke, OOC fanart is quite a pet peeve of mine.

Quote:
Pervy Homura is over done but you can't deny the fact that Madoka is VERY important to her and that she would do anything.
I do honestly believe she *loves* Madoka (as more than a friend)....but would be too shy and too noble to do ANYTHING pervy to her.
It's a much purer love than what most fanart depicts. It's a shame they feel the need to tarnish such a nice thing! Joking is one thing...but taking it too far...I feel that's disrespectful to the character...if that makes sense.

I know if someone took my characters and drew them doing outrageous things, I'd get pretty mad...

Last edited by Chiibi; 2013-02-16 at 10:32.
Old 2013-02-16, 04:01   Link #2199
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyni View Post
YEAH... They're pretty annoying....
Old 2013-02-16, 11:13   Link #2200
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Yeah, I agree completely with Chiibi on this.