AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-05-26, 08:29   Link #1141
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern-san View Post
These type of OVAs given with the manga volumes tend to be plot-free and generally for fanservice with manga-only references. But who knows what they'll do in Chihayafuru.

Maybe I interpreted the Taichi monologue in a negative way but to me it looked like he actually hated Arata and only wanted to beat him.
I think Taichi both loves and hates Arata. To say he only has negative feelings for Arata is clearly false based on things has said & thought earlier.

Most of the negative feelings Taichi has for Arata are really based on his own shortcomings. This is why it is important for Arata to come to Tokyo so Taichi can face him on equal grounds.
Old 2013-05-26, 14:59   Link #1142
hyperborealis
Lost at Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I think Taichi both loves and hates Arata. To say he only has negative feelings for Arata is clearly false based on things has said & thought earlier.

Most of the negative feelings Taichi has for Arata are really based on his own shortcomings. This is why it is important for Arata to come to Tokyo so Taichi can face him on equal grounds.
These are good points.

I don't think the antagonism Taichi feels toward Arata is inconsistent with or contradictory to their friendship. The show develops the theme of rivalry-as-friendship: think of how Shinobu becomes aware that she is not alone, but that there are all these girls stuggling to become her equal and to join her on her plateau. Or think of how the young Taichi and Arata phyisically fight with each other as they make their team t-shirts for Chihaya. In the world of karuta, your enemy is your friend: a goal to aspire to, and a foil to strengthen oneself against. Taichi and Arata add simply carry this dynamic over into the domain of romance.

The real issue in the scene I think is Taichi's weakness. Taichi is thunderstruck at the news that Arata is going to move to Tokyo: rather than welcoming the move, he actually flinches, steps backwards, and in a stutter asks Arata which school he is going to go to. The clear implication is that Taichi doesn't want Arata to move, is afraid of the threat Arata in Tokyo would represent. Likewise, in a very telling moment, after Taichi calls Arata his "teki" and Arata asks Taichi if he said anything, Taichi lies and pretends not to have said anything at all. This off-hand scene can only have been included to demonstrate Taichi's continued lack of courage vis-a-vis Arata. Taichi's old shortcoming refuses to go away.

I think there's a direct correlation between how strong Taichi is and how good a friend he is.

----

I was struck by the scene's contrast between the brightness of Taichi's face, as the streetlights illuminate his fair features, and the contrasting darkness of Arata's, as he is framed in the background by dark red colors of Omi Jingu. Apollonian beauty set against Cthonic energy...

And the final image shows the two going in opposite directions. I'll resist the temptation to over-read this--I've already given in to it too much as it is

A Blossoming Flower in the Snowy Winter

Last edited by hyperborealis; 2013-05-26 at 20:54.
hyperborealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-28, 05:57   Link #1143
Bern-san

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post

I'm sure he doesn't have just negative feelings, but so far the negative ones outdo the positive ones.
I hope that Taichi challenges Arata after becoming A-class, not to win, but like you said to face him and maybe that way he can overcome some of his issues.

Leaving that aside, Rion didn't hesitate to participate in the individual matches. I still don't like her that much and her eyes being similar to Chihaya bug me (at first I thought she was going to be some member from her family)
Old 2013-05-28, 06:43   Link #1144
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Almost 3300 for V.1 in week 1 - that's an improvement. I'm guessing the production committee will be pleased with the numbers.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-28, 08:42   Link #1145
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The most recent volume of the manga, #20, placed third on the sales list the week it was released with 227,605 copies sold. It fell out of the top-fifty list a few weeks later with cumulative sales of just under 369,000 copies.

Overall, in 2012, Chihayafuru placed sixteenth in total manga sales at just under 2.5 million copies.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-28, 09:35   Link #1146
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I think things are probably fine financially to get a third season bankrolled, but as has been pointed out, there simply isn't enough manga yet. As near as I can tell without spoiling myself, we seem to be somewhere around chapter 85 now, which means the anime is still at just under 2 chapters per episode. There are about 112 chapters out now, and Be Love's "semi-monthly" release schedule seems to mean Chihayafuru has averaged about 18 chapters per year since it started in 2007.

If you do the math, we figure to have about 18-20 unadapted chapters by the time this season ends, and if you wanted to do another 2-cour series at this pace you'd need about 18 more months to get there. I suppose Madhouse could switch to one-cour seasons and do another one around next summer or so, but I think it's more likely they wait till 2015 Fall or Winter if they plan to do any additional seasons.
Old 2013-05-29, 18:25   Link #1147
GundamZZ
残念美人

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern-san View Post
Leaving that aside, Rion didn't hesitate to participate in the individual matches. I still don't like her that much and her eyes being similar to Chihaya bug me (at first I thought she was going to be some member from her family)
You know that both girls are Japanese...in theory. Maybe they are kogaru, and they happen to put on same contact lenses.

Seriously, it's just typical anime style. They have different hair color and hair style, so viewers can distinguish each character. For artists with high level skill, viewers can still distinguish character with same hair color and hair style. These artists are hard to get... If they acquire such skill, they are not likely to settle for low paying jobs.

Rion and Chihaya looks so different, even they have same hair color and hair style. Having same eye color doesn't lead to viewers' confusion.

Rion is a good girl. She needs more TLC.
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-29, 19:22   Link #1148
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

To be honest, it never once occurred to me that Rion looked anything like Chihaya at all.
Old 2013-05-30, 01:54   Link #1149
Blaat

I believe Rion has the same face as Chihaya but characters having the same face in anime/manga is so common, hard to keep track of them all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I suppose Madhouse could switch to one-cour seasons and do another one around next summer or so, but I think it's more likely they wait till 2015 Fall or Winter if they plan to do any additional seasons.
You have to scrap the one cour idea for the time being I don't think chapter 117 would make for a good season ender. I suppose the next batch of chapters would make for a decent two hour movie (chapter 94-107) but that is too much of a pipe dream.

Something tells me the longer we have to wait for a third season the less likely it's going to happen.
Old 2013-05-30, 18:33   Link #1150
LeoXiao
思想工作

I want Arata to play Shinobu and kick her ass.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-31, 15:09   Link #1151
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I know this is WAY overdue, considering we're at the 46 ep mark, but why is it that you can swing at 6 or 7 cards at once with no penalty? If that's allowed, what's keeping a player from swinging at a whole set of cards each time?

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-31, 15:17   Link #1152
Blaat

That was really impressive any lesser sport manga writer would have had Chihaya win the match against the grunt players while using her wrong arm and continue all the way till she faces a respectable opponent in the quarter-final.

Oh wait.
That was really absurd, even putting your own cards in the mirror wouldn't fix the other big issue: the weak arm muscles isn't used to such movement.

Luckily the 2nd half was much better (not focusing on Chihaya helped) poor Nishida though, he seems to suffering from the Worf effect he supposedly the most experience player and yet he gets beaten most of the time.

Last edited by Blaat; 2013-05-31 at 15:28.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-31, 15:31   Link #1153
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
I know this is WAY overdue, considering we're at the 46 ep mark, but why is it that you can swing at 6 or 7 cards at once with no penalty? If that's allowed, what's keeping a player from swinging at a whole set of cards each time?
Absolutely nothing. Tsutomu did it in the finals last year against Kana. He flipped all of his cards, playing the odds. (He was behind 10-2 or something.) But it's more tiring and doesn't bring much of an advantage.

I'd like to know where this "it's bad manner to rearrange all your cards" was when Mizusawa was playing the quizz champions... Heck, when anyone was playing them. And really, if it's not illegal, shouldn't he keep his mouth shut?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-31, 15:37   Link #1154
hyperborealis
Lost at Sea

Wow, wow, wow. The determination on Chihaya's face, the tape falling away from her right hand, as she prepares to face the Queen. Chihaya rocks!

The title poem is #55. Here is the U. Virginia translation:

Though the waterfall
Ceased its flowing long ago,
And its sound is stilled,
Yet, in name it ever flows,
And in fame may yet be heard.

The waterfall in the poem is a metaphor for the influence Arata and Chihaya's childhood has had into the present. That past is gone, but it remains alive in the extraordinary skill and passion of the Mizusawa team, which derives ultimately from Chihaya herself, and through her, from the inspiration Arata gave her years ago to take up the game.

Throughout the episode, Arata acts as the perfect spectator to the Mizusawa team. He understands both Chihaya and Nishida's play to express their experience of playing as a team. He responds with admiration and even with longing; he knows that to play on the Mizusawa team must be "fun," must be a distinctive and excellent experience of karuta.

On Chihaya's side, she continues to look toward Arata in aspiration. "Can I reach him? / Or is he still out of reach?" Her gesture, of reaching out to catch him by the hand, is notably personal and intimate; but whatever subtext one finds there, her aspiration is certainly in terms of matching his skill in karuta.

Chihaya and Arata finally get to see each other one-on-one (for once, Taichi gets the Arata treatment, and only appears in the episode in a brief flash-back), and the experience turns out to be wholly mediated by karuta.

A Blossoming Flower in the Snowy Winter
hyperborealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-31, 15:51   Link #1155
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Chihaya actually managed to make it to the best 8 with her right hand injured. That was the kind of bullshit you usually only see in low tier shounen. This was the first time in the series I was annoyed by one of her victories. I know it's not the case but it feels as if she was looking down on her opponents (I can beat you even with my left hand!), and I don't like it. Now she's going to use her right hand, possibly making her injury even worse. It obviously will not happen but this is the kind of stuff that could ruin her career as a Karuta player. This should not be encouraged. If they praise her once again next week for not given up even though she's injured, I'm going to be pissed.

I found it interesting she seemed to have completely forgotten about her dear Shinobu-chan. She was focused only on Arata. She's dying to know if she's caught up to him, but she's not going to find that out when she's injured. Go go Shinobu! Crush her!

The second half of the episode was thankfully a lot better, and addressed one of the issues I've had with Nishda this season. He seemed to always be lagging behind (he lost two crucial matches) and not work quite as hard as the others. His match against Arata has apparently reignited his spirit. Too bad that didn't happen earlier.

Quote:
Nothing is stopping them from doing that, except the size of their hands lol. It's pretty much what the girl in this episode was trying to do (she hit seven out of thirteen cards...). Why is this allowed? I don't know. Maybe Karuta isn't as much about precision as it is about speed.
Old 2013-05-31, 15:56   Link #1156
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Looks like I'm the only one who didn't have a problem with Chihaya winning. Her edge's supposed to be the quality of her hearing, anyway, not the speed of her arm.

Also, is Chihaya in danger of falling for Yu-chan?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-31, 16:01   Link #1157
Repelsteeltju
DRRR!!

Quote:
The other player I suppose...

Though, really, if there isn't one there should be a rule against what Arata's doing.
Repelsteeltju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-31, 16:03   Link #1158
hai_san

Another beautiful ep, the highlight is her rematch with Shinobu... she is will be in full gear/fighting spirit.

I dont think Chihaya is looking down on her opponents, showing how seriously she took Shinobu by open her bandages and will be using her right hand. It is just her right hand is seriously injured, and she probably wanted to "reserve" it for Arata only, since she can't used it more than 1 match. But her next opponent is Shinobu so she has to use her right. Chances Chihaya winning are very slim ...
hai_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-31, 16:06   Link #1159
Bern-san

Similar designs is not rare but Chihaya in the series has a distinct face so I was surprised to see Rion being so similar to the main character (especially the eyes).

Leaving Chihaya aside, to me this was Arata's episode. Their brief conversation was cute, especially Arata's face and finally we got a bit of focus on Nikuman. He really had bad luck to be paired with Arata but at least he had the chance to motivate himself to go at full power.

Next week should be interesting...
Old 2013-05-31, 16:17   Link #1160
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Looks like I'm the only one who didn't have a problem with Chihaya winning. Her edge's supposed to be the quality of her hearing, anyway, not the speed of her arm.

Also, is Chihaya in danger of falling for Yu-chan?
Good hearing is useless if your arm can't move fast enough, which is what was happening last week. Simply moving her cards shouldn't have been enough to make up for this weakness. And it's not like her opponent was weak. She won against Nishida.

Nah, she won't fall for Yu. She's not as manly as Harada-sensei.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repelsteeltju View Post
The other player I suppose...

Though, really, if there isn't one there should be a rule against what Arata's doing.
Yeah, I can't believe this is legal... I guess this really means Karuta favors speed over precision.

Tags
cards, josei, karuta, sports