AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2009-11-17, 22:38   Link #21201
otai

Send a message via MSN to otai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Except I thought Haruki was interested in finding weird supernatural shit.
Inspired by John Constantine.
otai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-18, 00:12   Link #21202
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Random observations: I should stop trying to figure out way to turn every novel we read in ENG 120 into a Tsuji Cosplay Division Project.

We're currently reading The Handmaid's Tale (for those of you that have even heard of it) and I keep getting this image of an older Kyonko when I think of the protagonist... a similar stoicness and dry sense of humor that keeps her going through all kinds of trauma.

I stopped thinking about this at the point where I realized this would mean that Kyonko would be getting fucked, and often, by either Arakawa (M) or Keiichi Tamura, and also that I write like Margaret Atwood. -_-

Ignore me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
Anyway, I liked a lot all Haruki's rasonings. It shows how his logic is really weird. Similarly, Kyon's snarks were very good.
Nearly all snark is courtesy of Danchou, as I'm better at introspective shit than witty comebacks. Although I didn't think they were very witty. >_>

Quote:
Anyway, is he remebering everything he is seeing? I wonder if he would ever realize what Haruki's tought about her(you should give her a name, you know) while dating other girls means for Haruhi.
Kyon only retains impressions for most of the routes, although for Divine and Co-Op he remembers more. In fact, his knowledge of how Suzumiya thinks is going to be a plot point in Divine, I believe.

Quote:
A last comment, just to be picky: the introduction line is not the same as the one in the rewrite. The comrade thing is officialy droped? This mean it should be another edit in the rewirte?
This follows logically, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittyusername View Post
Yes.

Yes, you are right.
Geh. Being Canadian, I've never been exposed to Catcher in the Rye, but I thought it was required reading in American senior high schools... don't tell me you read it on your own...

I mean, if so, good job, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeghead View Post
Quick question, shouldn't the homeroom teacher be female?
Fixed. I basically copied the first bit of Chapter 1 of Melancholy for this, so that would explain why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by otai View Post
If I was in a mood for a drama-fest, I would imagine Haruki going to the extreme to search for his thrills, instead of tamely dating every girl in school. In middle school, he'll have tried smoking, drinking, going for home base with the girls and then fighting offended 'white knights' of the girls he dumped, and other testosterone infuelled aggressors. At the least.
God, you make him sound so terrible.

Although cigarettes are readily available in Japanese junior highs () I think alcohol is a little more difficult to obtain. Not much more, but, still.

I would have make Haruki a smoker if certain people wouldn't be complaining about it, by the way.

Haruki cares less about sex than he does about emotional fulfillment, although he probably wouldn't pass up the chance if directly offered, but, still.... I wanted to remain as close to canon as possible, and I think normal girls disgusted Haruki too much for him to consider touching them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
Exactly.

It's funny because Kaisos hasn't read Catcher in the Rye.
I have, however, read this, which was inspired by it, and I'd suggest everyone else do so as well. It's the the best doujin ever.

(Yes, I know what this looks like. The H-factor is just a framing device. I am not kidding when I say this is the most awesome and amazing thing I have ever read. Read it now, kids.)

Kurosawa is... sort of how I'd imagine Kyon to have acted in middle school. Minus, the, ah, unique fetish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Except I thought Haruki was interested in finding weird supernatural shit.
That only really started after he formed the Brigade. All he did in middle school was act like a total nutjob. Which I've outlined here.

Also, I'm surprised no one's mentioned how Haruki's introductory lines in the final section parallel Kyon's very first lines ever, but I guess there isn't much to say about that.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-18, 02:22   Link #21203
vivify93

Send a message via MSN to vivify93
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisos
I would have make Haruki a smoker if certain people wouldn't be complaining about it, by the way.
I don't really give a shit anymore. Since we'll be getting to Live Alive next Fall of NEVER, I'm off the asshole. Kyonko can have him.

Jesus on toast, he reminds me of Raven's I-don't-even-fucking-know-how-to-explain-it-without-boring-you-all-do-death-with-the-long, long, long, long, DAIDAIRONGUDESUWA, long, loooooooooooong-story, Eric.

Except like ten times worse, as if that were possible.

Somewhere here the "awesomeface" smiley needs to go. At the moment, I don't care to hunt it down and put it in this post.

God, my favorite series sucks like a tornado at providing adequate male fanservice, even in fanfiction.

*grumble, snark, stalk off*

EDIT: also, yes, it's rather redundant to point out the mirror between kyon and haruki's lines; it's rather obvious.

EDIT 2 - NOW WITH MORE TL;DR: Haruki Fan #1 does not care if Haruki is a smoker, as Haruki Fan #1 is now Not a Haruki Fan At All.
Old 2009-11-18, 02:33   Link #21204
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I have, however, read this, which was inspired by it, and I'd suggest everyone else do so as well. It's the the best doujin ever.

(Yes, I know what this looks like. The H-factor is just a framing device. I am not kidding when I say this is the most awesome and amazing thing I have ever read. Read it now, kids.)

Kurosawa is... sort of how I'd imagine Kyon to have acted in middle school. Minus, the, ah, unique fetish.
Just finished what seems to be the whole thing. Not a very productive night...

Um... why was I able to relate? Cuz you're a perv? No..., not that. I am introverted as hell though.

I got to agree, that was amazing. And I know I'm technically underage but as it is a rule that minors shouldn't read it, that rule was made to be broken, no? I can see how Kyon could have acted in a similar fashion, being rather introverted himself. Kyon did make only one friend in the third year of junior high. At least that was the impression I got from the novels.

I found a reference to Catcher in the Rye. You should read it. Not.

*e* Also reminded me of Light

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-18, 02:36   Link #21205
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Hmmm, Iwould object Haruki being a smoker. If just because I don't se any purpose on that. I imagine he would try once and stop after realize it is no fun. For alchool, I guess his opnion would be the same as Haruhi's in Lone Island.
Heatth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-18, 04:47   Link #21206
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon4dudes View Post
Just finished what seems to be the whole thing. Not a very productive night...
It has like 35 chapters... oh, and there's a short story sequel thing.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-18, 07:07   Link #21207
Jintor

Quote:
Hmmm, Iwould object Haruki being a smoker. If just because I don't se any purpose on that. I imagine he would try once and stop after realize it is no fun. For alchool, I guess his opnion would be the same as Haruhi's in Lone Island.
I think Haruhi simply wouldn't see any logic in it.

"You smoke because you're addicted, but you only get addicted if you smoke, right? And the only high you get is feeling normal once you're addicted, right? So what's the friggin' point, then, huh?!? It's stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid!"
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-18, 07:32   Link #21208
Heatth

Quote:
I think Haruhi simply wouldn't see any logic in it.

"You smoke because you're addicted, but you only get addicted if you smoke, right? And the only high you get is feeling normal once you're addicted, right? So what's the friggin' point, then, huh?!? It's stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid!"
Pretty much, yeah.
Old 2009-11-18, 13:57   Link #21209
Puffendahl
Että koko kokkoko?

For once I can see something positive in my internet randomly deciding to stop working for a few days and even more randomly deciding to work again today, after I still hadn't bothered to do anything about it. I got to read two updates at once, that is. Yay, though I guess reading them when they actually got posted would have been as fun or better. But I'm not thinking about that.

Anyway, I just wanted to give a thumbs up on the insight to Haruki's thoughts. I like
Oh, and the headphones still creep me out more and more every time they're mentioned. Like a black hole, huh...

Can't think of anything all too constructive to say at the moment, but perhaps I will edit something in later. Maybe. Someday...?
Puffendahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-18, 15:02   Link #21210
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
Quote:
It has like 35 chapters... oh, and there's a short story sequel thing.
Yeah, I found out that he was a webnovelist, or whatever the "profession" might be.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-18, 16:35   Link #21211
wittyusername
GRADE 8 NIGHTMARE VORTEX

Quote:
Geh. Being Canadian, I've never been exposed to Catcher in the Rye, but I thought it was required reading in American senior high schools... don't tell me you read it on your own...

I mean, if so, good job, but...
...I read it on my own. >_> My English teacher told my class this year that it would have been required reading, but some idiot decided it was too depressing, so all we're reading is Twelfth Night.

Which I've also read on my own, anyway. Nyoro~n.

Quote:

I'm only on chapter eight right now, but this is indeed awesome.
wittyusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-18, 17:04   Link #21212
Jintor

Quote:
...I read it on my own. >_> My English teacher told my class this year that it would have been required reading, but some idiot decided it was too depressing, so all we're reading is Twelfth Night.

Which I've also read on my own, anyway. Nyoro~n.
Why are you so literarrrrryyyyyy
Old 2009-11-18, 17:15   Link #21213
Nanao-kun
ナナオーくん

Quote:
We attended high school.
Old 2009-11-18, 17:26   Link #21214
Jintor

Dude she's fourteen.

I considered myself literary at fourteen and I hadn't read half the stuff she had.
Old 2009-11-18, 17:40   Link #21215
Heatth

Quote:
Dude she's fourteen.

I considered myself literary at fourteen and I hadn't read half the stuff she had.
Futhermore, she shouldn't attend High School if she is only 14 right (unless she skiped an year or something)?

...I wonder if she isn't just lying about her age. Exept, of course, she shouldn't have any reason to do that.
Old 2009-11-18, 17:49   Link #21216
wittyusername
GRADE 8 NIGHTMARE VORTEX

Quote:
Because I live one bus stop away from a book store and I have no life?

Quote:
Futhermore, she shouldn't attend High School if she is only 14 right (unless she skiped an year or something)?

...I wonder if she isn't just lying about her age. Exept, of course, she shouldn't have any reason to do that.
Aren't different grades classified as "high school" in different places? Here, it's grades nine through twelve, but I've heard of it being ten through twelve in other places.
wittyusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-18, 18:10   Link #21217
Jintor

Quote:

No, I attended High School from 13 - 17 - but, I think we don't have a Middle School. Do you guys have a Middle School?
Old 2009-11-18, 18:31   Link #21218
Heatth

Quote:
Because I live one bus stop away from a book store and I have no life?
Good for you, really.

Quote:
Aren't different grades classified as "high school" in different places? Here, it's grades nine through twelve, but I've heard of it being ten through twelve in other places.
Quote:
No, I attended High School from 13 - 17 - but, I think we don't have a Middle School. Do you guys have a Middle School?
Hmmm, I tought "High School" were the last 3 years of school, starting when you are 15/16 years old and ending at 17/18. Err, similar to japanese 高等学校 I guess. It seen I am mistaken. However, just to be sure, but isn't US system also like that? (you two are canadian and australian right, taht is why is different, I guess)

About Jintor well, you could say I am having high school right now and had "middle schoo" from my 16 to 18 years. At last if you are going by the literal translation. You could say our sistem merge elementary school and middle school under the same name (Ensino Fundamental, lit "fundamental teatching" or "elementary school"). What you would call Hight School means literaly "middle teatching". And college can be be called "superior teatching".
Old 2009-11-18, 18:51   Link #21219
Dr. Casey

It varies. There are high schools in America that cover the last four years (Grades 9-12), and there are some that cover the last three years instead. I'm pretty sure that these days, it's more common for high schools to be of the first variety, grades 9-12. The average starting age for high school is 14, though I was 15 myself thanks to having done two years of preschool. So basically, the American school system usually goes...

Elementary School: Kindergarten, 1st grade - 5th grade (Starts at age 5 or 6, ends at 11 or 12)
Middle School/Junior High, 6th grade through 8th grade (Starts at age 11 or 12, ends at 13 or 14)
High School, 9th grade through 12th grade (Starts at 14 or 15, ends at 17 or 18)
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-18, 18:54   Link #21220
Heatth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
It varies. There are high schools in America that cover the last four years (Grades 9-12), and there are some that cover the last three years instead. I'm pretty sure that these days, it's more common for high schools to be of the first variety, grades 9-12. The average starting age for high school is 14, though I was 15 myself thanks to having done two years of preschool. So basically, the American school system usually goes...
I see. I was completelly mistaken then. Thanks for the info.

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan