AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2011-04-11, 16:33   Link #2881
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
I think the name can also be read as Schweiker.
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-11, 17:12   Link #2882
Nishiio
AHH IT'S A GUNDAM--*boom*

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacecraft View Post
Just got my issue of Gundam ACE, will be scanning. Also got my copy of Glory of Losers too!
Thanks, Peacecraft!! =)
Nishiio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-11, 17:43   Link #2883
IkuzeMinna
Shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by allison13 View Post
Haha, okay, can you explain to me how Hilde's name is messed up? I took German just for a couple years, so I'm not any good at it, but I ALWAYS had this feeling that there was just something wrong about her name. Is it just pronounced wrong in the dub, or is it just...not even close to anything German?
Not even close to anything German. There's absolutely no word in the entire language that starts with 'schb'. You'd have to mash to words into one to even get that combination, like uh, Marschbaum.
While Schbeiker may sound German to any foreigner's ears, it's absolutely grating to anyone who has a grasp on the language. Kinda like what Wu Fei is to the Chinese.

Schweiker works, though I'm not sure what that would mean. In any case, wasn't the idea behind the absurd names not to offend any real people? At least those who have full names.
IkuzeMinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-11, 19:21   Link #2884
allison13

See, I was thinking more of "Hilde" not being right - or, the way they pronounce it not being right. "Hil-dee." I think it was pronounced more like "Hil-duh" (like my awesome way of describing this?) once or twice, which is how I always thought it should have been pronounced. I also haven't used German in about four years, though, so I don't know.
allison13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-11, 20:32   Link #2885
peacecraft

GLORY OF LOSERS / GLORY OF THE DEFEATED MAY 2011
http://www.mediafire.com/?cr87meaj7pzd030

Shorter chapter this month for Glory. More of Trowa and Quatre's battle!

Grandfather, roses just don't look good on me either. I'd look better soaked in the blood of OZ!
Relena Darlian, Episode 11 The Whereabouts of Happiness
peacecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-11, 21:59   Link #2886
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Thanks again Peacecraft.
Old 2011-04-12, 08:39   Link #2887
IkuzeMinna
Shall we?

Quote:
See, I was thinking more of "Hilde" not being right - or, the way they pronounce it not being right. "Hil-dee." I think it was pronounced more like "Hil-duh" (like my awesome way of describing this?) once or twice, which is how I always thought it should have been pronounced. I also haven't used German in about four years, though, so I don't know.
I beg your pardon, I thought you were referring to the series itself. I didn't realize you meant the English dub. Never watched it, so it didn't cross my mind.
You're right, though. I had to check and jeez, they really butcher her name. Sounds indeed like 'Hildy'. As far as correct pronunciation goes, 'Hil-duh' or 'Hildei' ought to come close. At least it sounds right when google translator reads it. xD

And thanks for the new chap, peacecraft.
Old 2011-04-12, 10:10   Link #2888
allison13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna View Post
I beg your pardon, I thought you were referring to the series itself. I didn't realize you meant the English dub. Never watched it, so it didn't cross my mind.
You're right, though. I had to check and jeez, they really butcher her name. Sounds indeed like 'Hildy'. As far as correct pronunciation goes, 'Hil-duh' or 'Hildei' ought to come close. At least it sounds right when google translator reads it. xD
I think in one of the "next episode" things they did pronounce it correctly, then the rest of the time it was "Hildee"...I haven't actually watched any of the episodes with her in it in Japanese, maybe they do a better job with it. I get the feeling they did a horrible job with the dub...her name didn't even sound right before I started learning German. How accurate is that google translator thing, anyway?
Old 2011-04-12, 13:54   Link #2889
jakeslogan

Quote:
How accurate is that google translator thing, anyway?
That depends on which language you are going to translate. Work pretty good when translate most of Western(Europe) countries' language into English. But with Eastern Asian, it's like the weather forecast.
jakeslogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 14:34   Link #2890
Kitsoru
:3c

I always pronounced Hilde as Hildy or Hild-e(u?)h, with just the SLIGHT utterance of that 'uh' or 'ee' at the end. One of those just-barely-there syllables. 'course, I forget what the actual kana given for her name is, which would matter more in this case, it being Japanese and all- like with Odin's name.
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 15:45   Link #2891
peacecraft

Grandfather, roses just don't look good on me either. I'd look better soaked in the blood of OZ!
Relena Darlian, Episode 11 The Whereabouts of Happiness
peacecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 16:18   Link #2892
Kitsoru

Jeez, with Jr.'s shirt in that picture you'd think he'd just been in a wet t-shirt contest (aka Asagi not so cleverly tried to disguise her body and muscle guides into the clothes, lmao).
Old 2011-04-12, 16:42   Link #2893
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

@allison13: yes, I meant "Schbeiker", not Hilde, sorry, and it's as IkuzeMinna says, it is german-sounding gibberish, and it does make german speakers cringe every time we see or hear it
Schweiker is a little better, though still weird imo. But it makes more sense because at least the letters match up xD

Hilde (which is a terribly outdated name you can find at best on your (very sleepy) grandmother by the way, and so also sounds weird for us on a young, energetic girl) is pronounced like "hiL-deh", with the emphasis on the "L", sort of- google translate has it correctly.

And on an unrelated note: I am loving Naina, she is so cute, omg... that's something this novel did right at least.
Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 16:45   Link #2894
IkuzeMinna
Shall we?

'Like the weather forecast'. Oh, this is pure gold. xD Well, translation mess aside, the reader is fine. Like I said, listen to it read 'Hildei' in English and you get a decent pronunciation for an English speaking person. As far as actual words in their respective languages go, it's pretty good. Just compare 'Odin' spoken in English and in Russian and you'll understand why his name sometime shows up as 'Aden'.

I can say that, considering their linguistic restraints, the Japanese dub generally gets the names right. It's 'Hil-deh', the 'e' at the end being audible. And it's Tsubarov, not Tubarov, since it derives from the German 'zwölf' (twelve). And can anyone explain to me why the English dub felt the need to pronounce 'Heero' with that weird 'r'? It's not like it would make for a bad pun to have his name sound like hero.

But despite the halting dialogue, the overacted voices and some messed up names it's still decent. There are far worse examples of a bad dub out there. At least in GW they left the names and music like it was. I dread to think how it would've been if it was dubbed like Sailor Moon... 'Meet Henry, Donny, Trevor, Carter and Lee.'

EDIT: @SkullFaerie - LOL Be glad they didn't go for the full version, Brunhilde. xD

Last edited by IkuzeMinna; 2011-04-12 at 16:57.
Old 2011-04-12, 16:58   Link #2895
Kitsoru

Well, because it's supposed to be pronounced like Hiiro even when it's spelled Heero (and man it makes me cringe when people spell it with an i or two). And that's how you pronounce a Japanese r- just this side of an l.

And.. coming from a Russian/Belarusian family I've always heard it pronounced sort of like 'Oden'... idk if it's just my family though :x

Last edited by Kitsoru; 2011-04-12 at 17:22.
Old 2011-04-12, 17:44   Link #2896
allison13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post
Hilde (which is a terribly outdated name you can find at best on your (very sleepy) grandmother by the way, and so also sounds weird for us on a young, energetic girl) is pronounced like "hiL-deh", with the emphasis on the "L", sort of- google translate has it correctly.
Haha, all the German we got taught in high school was called "outdated" by exchange students. Like...they all thought we were idiots. Maybe the rest of the world just hasn't figured it out yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsoru View Post
Well, because it's supposed to be pronounced like Hiiro even when it's spelled Heero (and man it makes me cringe when people spell it with an i or two). And that's how you pronounce a Japanese r- just this side of an l.
They should have just used "Hero" as the pronunciation instead of trying to pull the Japanese 'r' sound in a lot of places. Having an English speaker try to do that doesn't end well a lot of times. I personally think saying "Hero" sounds a lot closer to the Japanese pronunciation of it than what they were doing in the dub (I'm thinking of Relena - "HHEEEELOOOOOH"). I mean, my Japanese friend's boyfriend is named Hiro, she always just calls him "Hero" when she's talking to me (in English).

But, I guess from this conversation we've learned that Wing just really butchered some names
Old 2011-04-12, 20:58   Link #2897
Omnicat

Quote:
They should have just used "Hero" as the pronunciation instead of trying to pull the Japanese 'r' sound in a lot of places.
Oh god, please no. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's voice actors who can't be bothered to pronounce foreign names correctly. They're trained for this kind of work, there is no excuse for not even trying. There's trying and getting halfway at least, and there's giving people used to a different sound system the finger by intentionally butchering it.

Besides, I thought they pronounced Heero fine most of the time. Quatre slipped up a few times, but other than that, it sounded good to me.

PS: Most English versions of "r" are ugly, anyway. :P
Omnicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-13, 02:17   Link #2898
Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsoru View Post
Unfortunately, due to the plot constantly hopping around timelines, I really can't write a clear, sensible synopsis of the plot for the wiki until we actually know everything that's happened in one linear timeline. I guess I could try to parse out the early AC stuff, but ugh, it's so military heavy I've been putting it off forever while I try to make full sense of it myself..

It'll get done, though. Eventually.
No it's fine; I know how translating stuff can be hard especially if we are already occupied with our lives. I'm grateful enough for even this topic and the wikia page so don't feel rushed, just do what you can buddy.

I remember my first time when I started watching anime in English which is not my first language and Gundam Wing was one the early ones. And boy it was a bit hard to understand few stuff going on, but honestly it was fun to guess few meanings of words that you never knew (to the point that some words are stuck with a personal meaning for me. Colonies for example reminds me of the colonies in Gudam Wing since that's where I first learn it's meaning., haha, I know it's silly but at least it's working!) but boy I still need to work a bit more on my English.

Nice memories, I really wish to learn a new language, especially Japanese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna View Post
Not even close to anything German. There's absolutely no word in the entire language that starts with 'schb'. You'd have to mash to words into one to even get that combination, like uh, Marschbaum.
While Schbeiker may sound German to any foreigner's ears, it's absolutely grating to anyone who has a grasp on the language. Kinda like what Wu Fei is to the Chinese.

Schweiker works, though I'm not sure what that would mean. In any case, wasn't the idea behind the absurd names not to offend any real people? At least those who have full names.
Now that you mention Wu Fei, nether does Quatre make sense for me (for me at least, I mean I'm an arab but I never heard any Arabic name like Quatre before Gundam and his an arab, if I remember right) thou it sounds like the country, Qatar, the one in the arabian peninsula.

Since we are in the topic of names, I heard Trowa means a number in French, is that correct?

EDIT: Even thou I'm not sure of what's going on, I downlaoded your scan for Teardrop, peacecraft. Thank you so much for the upload.

Last edited by Shine; 2011-04-13 at 02:28.
Shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-13, 03:56   Link #2899
Saga_CE

Trowa means three in French ("trois") and is spelled in katakana just the same as the French word. So I think they sould have spelled it "Trois". Same with Quatre, which means four in French, except that they did spell it like "quatre" right from the beginning (and with Treize (thirteen)).

PS: the Sank Kingdom should as well have been spelled "Cinq" since it is the same pronounciation as "five" in French. Same with Orb in Gundam SEED: the katakana spelling could easily be transcripted to "Aube", wich means "dawn" in French, and is very related to the "Akatsuki" Gundam and the "Morgenroete" facility (both words meaning "dawn" in Japanese and German).
Old 2011-04-13, 04:40   Link #2900
Shine

^ So my sister was right when she once heard the name Trowa years ago and told me it means three in French. And Quatre is French number then, well thanks for clearing it.

I just read Trowa's wiki page, his Latin? I always thought he was French (not just because of the name but also because of his looks, and the whole circus thing if that makes since)

And yeah, the sank kingdom did felt wrong, but since English is not my native tongue I thought who am I to say for sure.

Last edited by Shine; 2011-04-13 at 05:20.
Shine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frozen teardrop, glory of the losers, gundam wing