Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-11, 19:49   Link #261
mirichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChayXV01
And for all of you fans that don't want to wait for the US dvd's release why don't u just get the Japanese DVD's?
They come English Subbed, and isnt much different from Fansubbed, except maybe more accurately translated

I'm sure you wouldn't have to wait that long for the whole FMA DVD set to finish either, not as long as the US ones anyway....
Buy here (make your parents buy it if u too young) ===>
BOOTLEGS...

Official Japanese DVDs don't come with a CHINESE sub!

Watch another post disappear as soon as a mod see it! WOW... 2 in the same day!
Old 2004-05-11, 19:51   Link #262
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

Quote:
And for all of you fans that don't want to wait for the US dvd's release why don't u just get the Japanese DVD's?
They come English Subbed, and isnt much different from Fansubbed, except maybe more accurately translated

I'm sure you wouldn't have to wait that long for the whole FMA DVD set to finish either, not as long as the US ones anyway....
Buy here (make your parents buy it if u too young) ===> {Link to know Bootleg removed by Mod}

Go buy it and support them, this goes for all you damn mp3 dlers too
:fingers: for all you who wants something for nothing
That is a bootleg link to which you point to. (which the mods seem to have gotten just as I'm typing this... ^_^) Japanese R2 dvd's often do NOT have english subs on them. What you think are Japanese DVD's are bootlegs. That place you linked to sells many bootleg dvd's which are even more illegal than fansubs.
Old 2004-05-11, 19:55   Link #263
mirichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWho2002
That place you linked to sells many bootleg dvd's which are even more illegal than fansubs.
It's not that they are MORE illegal... both are morally wrong.

But by buying BOOTLEGS, you give money to thieves/pirates. At least the fansubbers were not making money out of it.

Bootleggers are like your nice eBay vendors... thieves! Selling things they have no right too and pocketing the money!

And I guess a lot of us has been using the REPORT TO MOD button today *wonder which post will be the 3rd to flaunt the "no link to licensed anime or bootleg" rules*
Old 2004-05-11, 19:57   Link #264
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
A. Our DVDs rarely have English subtitles nor does it come with Chinese subtitles as well
B. Our region is always 2 and never released as "region-free"
C. Our DVDs do not cost that cheap. As for the real "Hagaren" DVDs, Volume 1 has two episodes at 4000 yen, and the rest at 4 episodes per disc at 6000 yen each.

Our Limited Edition Volume 2 DVDs come with a cool special box and a large book...that is if you are willing to pay 25,000 yen.

Word of advice: A DVD that is too cheap, has too many episodes per disc, is region-free, has English and Chinese (which is usually the obvious marker), and if it doesn't come with any extras, it isn't Japanese - OUR STUFF DOESN'T COME CHEAP.
Old 2004-05-11, 19:59   Link #265
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by otakreg
And I'm still not convinced that FMA being licensed is such a great thing. Maybe it'd be better if they stuck to licensing shorter series in the range of 13-16 eps. (Has Gunslinger Girls been licensed yet?) A short series is easier to buy on DVD and less likely to have rabid fanboys. Shows that run as long as FMA become like a part of your life (for those of us who have no lives).
Honestly speaking licensing a longer series mean more profits for the people who licensed it. To have a company simply say "Well because the fans like the longer series, we wont license them until they're done" would be economical suicide. It doesn't matter to them when the series are licensed so long as they get the license. Personally, I'd prefer to see many more series pre-licensed much like R.O.D. -The TV- was.
Old 2004-05-11, 20:11   Link #266
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice_EQ
Lets hope Funi does what it has been doing with uncut/subbed releases. Just wish all US companies would stop using dub-subs. If I wanted to know what the dubbed version was saying, I'd listen to the english voice track.
And since when do anime DVDs have dubtitles? Yes, there are some cases, but they are pretty rare. Off the top of my head there's Kiki's and R2 PAL UK Mononoke (which is a shame, as it's the version with the best video quality out of the lot), and probebly a few other titles. Wait, there's also R2 PAL UK Laputa if I remember rightly.... bums...

However! Most R1 DVDs do not have dubtitles. That is a misconception.

And you know, it's not like FMA is even going to NOT get subbed up to it's end. Even Gundam Seed got fully subbed, even when Bandai went out of their way to ask subbers to stop subbing it. Guess there's no stoping some people... but then again, it's what you want to do. You just live with the consequences... Especially with a show as popular as FMA, and considering in my experience Funi don't mind fansubs (even going as far to show some One Piece fansubs at a con' when they still "had" it). It just won't be avalible here. If you people are too stupid to find other soruces, you don't deserve your anime. I remember back in the day, when you'd have to search through FIVE THOUSEND F-Serves (well, actually it was more like 4 or 5 back then) to find your anime. And you'd only EVER get 1.5k/s transfer rate! Do you see Batman complaining that his Batcave got blown up? No, he just goes and gets a new Batcave. Infact, I don't know batman and I wassn't around in the earlier days of digisubbing, but damnit, that's not the point.

Actually, half of this post doesn't make anysense, but DAMNIT the point still stands!

Sorry if you were offended by any of the content in this post. If your fault for being too stupid to see I was being mildly sarcastic, as I usually am!

Thank you very much.
Old 2004-05-11, 20:16   Link #267
OkitaSoshiX

Wow i posted yesterday on the first page at 11:30'ish yesterday and now it's on page 14.

As for this thread every 1-3 posts i see the exact same people ranting and raving and as to answer microlith and the other people who seem to hate me let me answer you.

"You're an elitist mother fuck3r"

No not really. I'm just a normal kid who wishes he could enjoy something without having it be the every 5 year old's Wet dream. I remember when i wore a Dragonball Z shirt (5th grade...5 years ago) and this kid said and i quote "Dragonball Z is for fags you little faggot" and you know what i said "Great thank you i appreciate liking something that nobody else likes". And who are you guys to tell me I'm an elitist bastard? That i like to enjoy something without it being paraded around like those Iraqi soldiers butt naked? I'm sorry if I don't want kids in Red leather Jackets trying to Transmute chocolate on Halloween into sword or some shit like that.

"You hate watching other people enjoy something you like"

...uhhhh...i think my above statement answered that but just in case you're clear I like several mainstream video games and I personally do like to talk about the Centurion Armor set i got in FFXI with some of my friends that play it. As for Full Metal Alchemist goes if they don't put it on TV I'm A o.k with it. But knowing Funimation they will most likely put it on T.V like Tenchi and stuff. I remember when I was a Trigun and Rurouni Kenshin fan and than all of a sudden it got all popular when Cartoon network started playing it.

I counted Kenshin Himura:6 Sanosuke:4 Yahiko:1 Saito:1 Vash the Stampede:5 and Wolfwoods:3. That's a whole fucking lot of kids on halloween dressing up as Anime characters. And they all said the same basic thing "Watch out!!!! for my Aymaykakeyru ru no Hiraymaykee"(spelled how they said it) or "LOVE AND PEACE!!!!!!" I told them they're cute or whatever and threw candy in their pillow cases and kicked them off my porch. (HAHAHA you should've seen it it was actually pretty funny)

"Fanboy elitist loser"

For one I'm no loser. Fanboy? sorry but I'm no Fanboy's unless you have a different Definition. My definition is a fat 500 pound behemoth that dresses up as Sanosuke from Kenshin and parades down Hayes street in san Fransisco. I am a 160 pound 6'0 White/Japanese (and yes I'm really japanese) kid who preffers to keep some things he likes to himself. And yes I've had a girlfriend and no she wasn't an Ugly Farm girl with ticks on her.
Old 2004-05-11, 20:47   Link #268
Just a subtitler ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkitaSoshiX
who preffers to keep some things he likes to himself.
Well, like I said, if you want to keep your show unsullied by the dirty fans, then you get a Japanese company to make you one and then don't ever show it to anybody. You'll be TEH special then.

In the meantime, if the creators would like to actually make money so they can -continue to eat-, and they license it in the US, well, they're the people who paid a Japanese company lots of money to get the series made. It's their call. They are not obligated to worry about your specialness and need to be unique when they worry about licensing their shows.

I can understand KJ's confusion - it's difficult to understand how you can justify thinking of yourself as a "real anime fan" and yet you don't want things to happen which are -good- for your anime, just because it'd cost you some dough. But alas, there's nothing resembling the old days of fansubbing ethics left in the warez-fueled scene nowadays...
Old 2004-05-11, 21:01   Link #269
Umbrae
Generic Human

Just figured I would add my voice to the people crying that this was licensed while I was watching it.

But that is the risk we take watching fan subs. Dispite the fact we honestly do the industry a service by raising public awarness and acceptance of new animation.
Old 2004-05-11, 21:07   Link #270
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrae
Just figured I would add my voice to the people crying that this was licensed while I was watching it.

But that is the risk we take watching fan subs. Dispite the fact we honestly do the industry a service by raising public awarness and acceptance of new animation.
Truthfully, anime companies don't need fansubs to raise public awarness anymore. They haven't needed it for many years now, more so, fansubs are actually getting to the point where they're having negative effects on the industry.

@ AvatarADV I was wondering when you'd arrive here.
Old 2004-05-11, 21:17   Link #271
mirichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
@ AvatarADV I was wondering when you'd arrive here.
He's been there a while... go back in the thread (actually, p. 11... wow, big brother that thing... it tracks our recent postings).
Old 2004-05-11, 21:35   Link #272
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirichan
He's been there a while... go back in the thread (actually, p. 11... wow, big brother that thing... it tracks our recent postings).
Indeed he did. I'm getting too used to skipping the poster's name and identifying them by their avatars.
Old 2004-05-11, 21:35   Link #273
otakreg
oXc

Send a message via AIM to otakreg
That's what I kind of don't like, the fact that fansubs are supposedly hurting the industry, but if you pay for all the anime you watch... you won't be able to watch much. Unless you're, like, rich or something.

Call me a whiny fanboy elitist but I'd still like to have the opportunity that Japanese people have: watch as much free anime as you want on TV, then buy the stuff that's really good. I guess that's what fansubs allow us to do. Aha! I think I just found a rationalization for searching the net for fansubs of licensed shows. I'm such a terrible person
Old 2004-05-11, 21:47   Link #274
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
That's what I kind of don't like, the fact that fansubs are supposedly hurting the industry, but if you pay for all the anime you watch... you won't be able to watch much. Unless you're, like, rich or something.

Call me a whiny fanboy elitist but I'd still like to have the opportunity that Japanese people have: watch as much free anime as you want on TV, then buy the stuff that's really good. I guess that's what fansubs allow us to do. Aha! I think I just found a rationalization for searching the net for fansubs of licensed shows. I'm such a terrible person
You're still not there. You're overlooking some very important points.

Aside from not paying the Japanese cable companies for watching their services and assuming we overlook the obvious issues of the video piracy and international copyright violations... Most anime isn't shown on regular cable television in Japan. Most is shown on pay-per-view satilite channels that you are not paying the subscription fees for. You have yet to earn the right to watch anime without purchasing it.
Old 2004-05-11, 21:49   Link #275
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

Quote:
Call me a whiny fanboy elitist but I'd still like to have the opportunity that Japanese people have.
Some people tend to forget that:
  • Anime is from JAPAN.
  • We are NOT Japanese.
  • Anime is NOT a right, it is a privilege.
Old 2004-05-11, 21:52   Link #276
Chris Beveridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus IX
US companies (ADV and Geneon USA are the first that come to mind) sometimes co-produce Japanese series... recent examples of this include Koi Kaze, Shingetsutan Tsukihime and Kino no Tabi. So your last statement is definitely true.
Not only does buying R1 anime = new funding for Japanese creations, what it's typically been funding is some of the more innovative works. The general fear has been that if the US companies fund anime, the studios will put out dumbed down anime for us stupid americans.

What's been happening instead is that the Japanese companies and the creative people that are getting the funding are putting money into vanity projects and things they've been trying to get off the ground for years. From what I recall, Sato has wanted to do Kaleido Star since forever. Kino's Journey certainly isn't a traditional show and not a dumbed down one at that. And Texhnolyze is the epitome of a show that COULD NOT have been made without US money. It's got almost all men in it - that's just not selling in Japan right now. If it doesn't have cute girls or from a hugely popular manga, it's a hard sell to get animated.

So there's the amusing logic in saying that "if it wasn't for me buying all this anime, they wouldn't be making all this stuff you're watching right now"
Old 2004-05-11, 21:58   Link #277
OkitaSoshiX

Quote:
quote originally posted by AvatarADV
Well, like I said, if you want to keep your show unsullied by the dirty fans, then you get a Japanese company to make you one and then don't ever show it to anybody. You'll be TEH special then.

In the meantime, if the creators would like to actually make money so they can -continue to eat-, and they license it in the US, well, they're the people who paid a Japanese company lots of money to get the series made. It's their call. They are not obligated to worry about your specialness and need to be unique when they worry about licensing their shows.

I can understand KJ's confusion - it's difficult to understand how you can justify thinking of yourself as a "real anime fan" and yet you don't want things to happen which are -good- for your anime, just because it'd cost you some dough. But alas, there's nothing resembling the old days of fansubbing ethics left in the warez-fueled scene nowadays...
Ok what don't you losers get? I DON'T THINK I'M A REAL ANIME FAN!!!! maybe you should've READ IT ALL!!!! Flame after you read. First off EVERY human wants to have some things to himself that's why Totalitarianism isn't popular. You can revive Stalin and have him make everybody do the exact same thing but personally I'd prefer to have some things stay low key. and I don't want an Anime just made for myself, in fact I'm done with anime....once i finish one piece.

Let me predict what you and some others will say

"Good ridance we don't need fans like you"

or

"Finally this selfish REAL ANIME FAN wannabe is out of here"

Whatever i don't really care anymore it's no use talking to some of you guys.

Except Umbrae you actually talk like a person that gets out of the house once in a while.
Old 2004-05-11, 21:59   Link #278
otakreg
oXc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
You're still not there. You're overlooking some very important points.

Aside from not paying the Japanese cable companies for watching their services and assuming we overlook the obvious issues of the video piracy and international copyright violations... Most anime isn't shown on regular cable television in Japan. Most is shown on pay-per-view satilite channels that you are not paying the subscription fees for. You have yet to earn the right to watch anime without purchasing it.
Now that is something I didn't know. I am getting shot down at every turn. Yesterday I was all for fansubs, tommorow I'll be squandering my life savings on anime DVDs. *sigh* At least you're making an attempt at educating. People saying "anime is a privelege, you don't deserve to get it for free" does little to convince me. However, I was under the misconception that most anime was shown on regular television, so, ah... this is a very important point.

Ano, Mr. Beveridge, sir, my friend wants you to post a picture of your wife. But that probably wouldn't be a good idea. He like... idolizes you and your reviews. And he's weird. Nevermind.
Old 2004-05-11, 22:02   Link #279
Chris Beveridge

Quote:
Ano, Mr. Beveridge, sir, my friend wants you to post a picture of your wife. But that probably wouldn't be a good idea. He like... idolizes you and your reviews. And he's weird. Nevermind.
LOL

No idolizing please I like to keep my ego small and well contained.
Old 2004-05-11, 22:06   Link #280
otakreg
oXc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Beveridge
LOL

No idolizing please I like to keep my ego small and well contained.
A quote from him:

"If he refuses, I will join the forum and continue posting until I see those pictures."

Your fans are, like, awesome .

I'm beginning to wonder why this thread wasn't locked, like, several hours ago. It ceased having anything to do with FMA at least 6 hours ago.
Closed Thread