AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-08-05, 18:30   Link #821
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
And so the legend of "The Hand Crusher" is born!

Who will be the next victim!?
Old 2017-08-05, 19:15   Link #822
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
And so the legend of "The Hand Crusher" is born!

Who will be the next victim!?
Its funny, when you say it like this, the only thing I can think of is this scene from Looney Tunes :

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-05, 19:56   Link #823
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
One interesting thing to note here is that very, very subtly, the writer has placed a few background blurbs and information that have stated that the laws governing Japan in this current world are very slow in catching up to the current society. There's a scene of Midoriya in JR high school with his teacher talking about changes in infrastructure, there's Aizawa talking about education rules, and how scaled back the Olympics have become because of rules and such, there's been a few news blurbs and such as well.
It can be indicated that laws governing this world are still behind the times and are very slow in catching up.

Also, you then have to ask the question of when is doing what's right, in spite of the law, more important?
When you say "wrong" are you talking a moral quandary or simply going against a certain law? Laws are passed with agendas as well, and even when they are suited for everyone's safety, sometimes they can't do enough.
By the laws of this world, Peter Parker was completely law abiding by letting that criminal go even when he could have stopped him. In fact it would have been illegal for him to actually do so. And yet it led to his uncle's murder. By this ideal, his idea of power and responsibility and him doing something to stop the murderer would have been "doing something wrong".

Laws and rules have their place, but morals and ethics and common sense I think have to supercede them to a degree. Especially if the law itself, is morally wrong and is leading to the destruction of the people that it's supposed to protect.
Peter Parker wasn't supposed to stop the criminal. He's not a cop. The fact that his uncle got shot is just an unfortunate turn of events. What bugs him is that he could have done so with minimal injury to himself and didn't, resulting in a life being taken and from that he decides the famous lines that bear no need for repeating. You don't see him championing regular folks to go fight crime in spandex, but at the same time it makes it so that people who don't have great power don't have great responsibility, as Gert once said.

Being law abiding and being morally correct are just different. Yes, what Izuku and Todoroki did was morally correct, but they also put themselves at huge risk in the process. I hate arguing this because I agree with their actions (not Iida), and I believe that because they all came out alive it should just be overlooked like it was.

But if one of those kids died, it would have been a nightmare for a bunch of people: their mentors, their teachers, their parents. It's not just their lives that would have been screwed over because one person decided to pursue revenge instead of grabbing Native and running away when he spotted Stain. No, he just decided to fight him when he had Super Speed and a guy possibly bleeding out.

In short, the kids basically took a good huge gamble and it worked out this time. But a mistake could have turned one murder into four. He's telling them the consequences of this screw up for future reference.
Old 2017-08-05, 22:42   Link #824
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
Also, Quirks are a natural part of a person's ability. They're not even like guns. This is more like telling someone who learned high level martial arts that, since he's able to kill or maim someone with his bare hands, he's forbidden to use that ability *even to protect others or defend himself*. Instead of simply saying that, if they were to do that, they will be judged, like everyone else, on whether they reacted appropriately and the danger justified it, and if so it is found, they'll be considered innocent of any crime.
no its not. Quirk's are completely unlike anything humans normally have to deal with; yes they are a natural part of ones body but they can also be extremely deadly. Can you really compare punching someone in the face with blowing them up? I mean, if humans were born with guns attached to their hands (which is possible in MHA), do you think our laws would treat those guns like martial arts, or like guns? Humans being born with superpowers is one of those things that is so drastically different than what we normally have to deal with that you can't expect society to keep functioning exactly the same

Heck even with martial arts the analogy additionally breaks down due to the fact that a trained martial artists has gone through considerable training to control his power. That's the point of these hero licenses to make sure people go through proper training before they use their powers on other living people. Again i ask, what if Todoroki had accidentally burned down one of the buildings next to the alley? Would people be so forgiving of him for his actions? What if he got innocent people killed? He would have made a bad situation even worst.

The only reason people are so quick to defend Deku and Todoroki for violating the law and bad mouthing the law is because everything went well, but for every kid like todoroki you might find, you'll find thousands of people who would have screwed up. If it turned out to be a disaster, we would be having a VERY different conversation about their actions. THAT's the reason why these laws were created, to prevent those "what if's" that can lead to greater disasters through the use of Quirks. The reason you need a hero license to take on such actions is because the hero license is proof hat you have gone through considerable training so that you can use your power responsibly when dealing with such matters. If you don't have a lincese then you haven't proven that you are well trained enough to handle these situations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh
I could understand such laws being passed when quirks were a minority. But I wonder how it can survive in a world where almost everyone has a quirk.
I tend to agree. Namely i would think that people with more mundane quirks would complain about not being able to use their quirk's even though it snot possible for them to hurt anyone else. It seems like an unnecessary restriction for them and thus they would push for less strict rules on quirks. Though granted this could make those with dangerous quirks feel like they are being persecuted because of something they were born with.

Though this would make me interesting in seeing other parts of the MHA world to see if different countries have different rules. Japan might take things in a more strict direction, where as some countries in the west might be more liberal on the use of Quirks and then there might be some countries that would be even more strict
Old 2017-08-06, 02:45   Link #825
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Last time I checked, they did use their quirks in public without sanction. This statement is objectively false. Them doing so to save a friend does not change the fact that they broke the law. A law that exists for a reason. You acknowledged this yourself.

If you can't expect people to follow simple rules, you might as well just give up and let everyone fend for themselves and make it a dog eat dog world.

Now, I'm just using self defense here as an example. What happened in this arc was not self defense. However, for example, someone committing an act of self defense still breaks rules in doing so. They might not get punished, or not as severely, but rules were still broken.
Yeah, which was my original point - having such laws not make an exception for self-defence or protection of life and limb of others is ridiculously harsh. It's one thing to say you should not carry a gun around without a permit, it's quite another to say that if you have a gun with a sport permit and you happen to run into a serial killer assaulting someone you shouldn't use it to save their victim's life. That's the kind of situation we're seeing here. They have limited usage permits, they happened to find themselves in a situation where it was either stick to those or save someone's life. It would be reasonable to consider them exempt; it does not invite some sort of chaotic vigilante world because it's a very clearly defined situation where people are reacting, not acting.

I think it's possible that what was referred here was more of an administrative sanction issue; namely, they would be legally justified, but it would take a trial and in the mean time UA might expel them to save face, or something like that. Would still be unfair but make more sense. Ultimately, for how I see it, when there's a law that might require someone to act out of "common sense" and dodge it like Chief Doggo did here, then the law is clearly badly laid out. If discretion is necessary, just leave the decision up to a judge instead of setting hard limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
The only reason people are so quick to defend Deku and Todoroki for violating the law and bad mouthing the law is because everything went well, but for every kid like todoroki you might find, you'll find thousands of people who would have screwed up. If it turned out to be a disaster, we would be having a VERY different conversation about their actions. THAT's the reason why these laws were created, to prevent those "what if's" that can lead to greater disasters through the use of Quirks. The reason you need a hero license to take on such actions is because the hero license is proof hat you have gone through considerable training so that you can use your power responsibly when dealing with such matters. If you don't have a lincese then you haven't proven that you are well trained enough to handle these situations
Let's not even get into how these responsible, trained adults last arc had the kids fighting and permanently injuring themselves for a sports event because no one can be bothered to put up some fucking counselling for kids with superpowers... like kids who are victims of domestic abuse and had half their face burned with boiling water by their mentally unstable mother, or kids whose brother has just been maimed by a serial killer. Iida was still wrong. But the reason why people defend Deku and Todoroki is that they did the right thing. And not because they survived. Had they died trying they would have still done the right thing, and the adults should if anything have felt ashamed that they were slower to catch up and react to the situation than a couple trainees. They were defending others and themselves, not unleashing vigilante justice. If a law forbids usage of Quirks even in such an extreme situation then the law is ridiculously inflexible. Again, when common sense morals and the law don't align, like they did here, then maybe the law is up for revision.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-06, 06:06   Link #826
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I think that's a really naive way of looking at things. Things just happened to work out. But you don't want to encourage people to exhibit behavior such as this instead of just doing the correct thing and share information with those properly equipped and licensed to handle something like this.

If you allow anyone to just break the rules because "the situation seems to warrant it" you might as well just not have any rules.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-06, 07:03   Link #827
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post

Let's not even get into how these responsible, trained adults last arc had the kids fighting and permanently injuring themselves for a sports event because no one can be bothered to put up some fucking counselling for kids with superpowers... like kids who are victims of domestic abuse and had half their face burned with boiling water by their mentally unstable mother, or kids whose brother has just been maimed by a serial killer. Iida was still wrong. But the reason why people defend Deku and Todoroki is that they did the right thing. And not because they survived. Had they died trying they would have still done the right thing, and the adults should if anything have felt ashamed that they were slower to catch up and react to the situation than a couple trainees. They were defending others and themselves, not unleashing vigilante justice. If a law forbids usage of Quirks even in such an extreme situation then the law is ridiculously inflexible. Again, when common sense morals and the law don't align, like they did here, then maybe the law is up for revision.
....You do realize they have to actually come forward with their problems and it's Japan at that. How do the teachers know how he got burned on the face when he has fire powers? Todoroki would have to tell them, and they'd have to direct him to a professional because that's some serious stuff that needs to be covered. And if it was abuse at home courtesy of Endeavor, they'd have to tell the Police, and the Police would have to handle that. But he has to come forward with it in the first place.

Iida's problem is something that his parents should have sent him out to get checked on for that. At best they could have recommended he take an extended leave of absence from the school to get himself together, but that isn't the school's responsibility. They're job is to teach these kids as best they can, and while they'd be happy to offer advice, they're professional heroes and not psychologists.

And the entire situation with Stain came because Iida tried to be a vigilante. Manual was right there when he sensed Stain and he didn't say anything before he ran off. They all ran off, so if they died then it was on them for doing that. The mentors would get crap for it (and Gran Torino did), but those kids did that on their own. They took a great risk, but it could have gone wrong. They weren't punished for it because it went exceedingly well, but 9 out of 10 times, we would have had 4 dead people instead of 1.

That's why they need a license, so they can act on doing what's morally right without the repercussions. But they didn't have one because they're not supposed to have run off.
Old 2017-08-06, 07:44   Link #828
DemonneoPT

Quote:
I think that's a really naive way of looking at things. Things just happened to work out. But you don't want to encourage people to exhibit behavior such as this instead of just doing the correct thing and share information with those properly equipped and licensed to handle something like this.

If you allow anyone to just break the rules because "the situation seems to warrant it" you might as well just not have any rules.
That's exactly what Deku did. He sent a message and called for help in the only way he could.
Also, he spotted Iida on the verge of getting killed. I'm assuming you would let Stain kill your friend and would not help the guy even tho you had the ability and power to do so? Having a hero licence would not change anything in this situation because everyone could still end up dead. It's part of their job. They are soldiers even the ones still in training. Flexibility and common sense are needed because extraordinary situations will always exist. Just because the rules were bent in an outlier scenario does not mean they will not be followed/implemented/needed in any other common situation. Like Gan_HOPE326 said: "when common sense, morals and the law don't align, like they did here, then maybe the law is up for revision.
DemonneoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-06, 07:59   Link #829
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
....You do realize they have to actually come forward with their problems and it's Japan at that. How do the teachers know how he got burned on the face when he has fire powers? Todoroki would have to tell them, and they'd have to direct him to a professional because that's some serious stuff that needs to be covered. And if it was abuse at home courtesy of Endeavor, they'd have to tell the Police, and the Police would have to handle that. But he has to come forward with it in the first place.
I know that it's Japan - I realise this is their (IMHO warped, in this case) mentality showing, but no, children aren't expected to "come forward" with their problems because obviously most of them will be ashamed or afraid to do so. I've actually a bit of experience about what the law is in the UK, as I've taken courses in order to be licensed to do volunteer work with children, and basically the general rule is to be better safe than sorry, and if you notice a kid with signs of mistreatment or abuse, you just have to tell the authorities. For Iida, it's perfectly normal to provide counselling, especially considering these are all kids who you don't WANT to become unstable, since they're basically human weapons. And for Todoroki, just the fact that he didn't use his flame side in combat should be enough for teachers to at least investigate. It was never really much of a secret - and these guys KNOW Todoroki's father, and know he's a jerk. All Might talked with him and Endeavour openly told him that he was using Todoroki to beat him - going as far as using pronouns that would be reserved for objects, not people, when referring to his son. I think that's a lot of alarm bells ringing.

Old 2017-08-06, 08:15   Link #830
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonneoPT View Post
That's exactly what Deku did. He sent a message and called for help in the only way he could.
Also, he spotted Iida on the verge of getting killed. I'm assuming you would let Stain kill your friend and would not help the guy even tho you had the ability and power to do so? Having a hero licence would not change anything in this situation because everyone could still end up dead. It's part of their job. They are soldiers even the ones still in training. Flexibility and common sense are needed because extraordinary situations will always exist. Just because the rules were bent in an outlier scenario does not mean they will not be followed/implemented/needed in any other common situation. Like Gan_HOPE326 said: "when common sense, morals and the law don't align, like they did here, then maybe the law is up for revision.
He specifically set out to find Iida who he knew was fighting the Hero Killer. He texted Todoroki, rather than calling the authorities, and he did so only after engaging.

And again, rules exist for a reason, you can't just make exceptions to them whenever you feel like it or you might just not have rules at all.

I think people are making this "protagonist fallacy" where they think our protagonists are the only people in the whole world who could have done anything.

I don't see what the problem is anyway, it's not like they got punished anyway. But they have to be reminded of the rules to make sure they don't fuck up again.

Last edited by Dengar; 2017-08-06 at 08:26.
Old 2017-08-06, 08:37   Link #831
Ultragunner

I might be in the minority here, but I still wish to get my opinion out there.

*note: this is my opinion only*
To be honest, I wasn't that blown away by Stein . Of course, he is one of the more interesting and better villains in shounen. That I can acknowledge, but I would not rave about him like many would.

To me, his "duty", let's say his tenacity stemmed from his obsession with the term "hero". Sure, it may not have the same meaning as it did in old days, but so do many other words. In the end, it's just a word, you can swap "Hero" to "Quirk Detective" and we would still have the same circumstances.

Well, perhaps not entirely. While it is true that society should not have elevated and worshipped "Hero" like they are now, it does not justifying all the bloodshed that he has done.

We have seen time and time again, that despite there are @sshole like Endevour, many other professional Heroes are genuine and decent individuals, just like how there are definitely some bad apple doctors who care about nothing but money, there are many other doctors who look after their patients with dignity and respect.
Would you take away their salary and force to do their job without compensation? ah hell no
Old 2017-08-06, 08:58   Link #832
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
He specifically set out to find Iida who he knew was fighting the Hero Killer. He texted Todoroki, rather than calling the authorities, and he did so only after engaging.
What he could have done differently was stay put on the train like Gran Torino told him. Iida would have died, Native would have died, but neither Deku nor Todoroki would have been endangered.

However, once he spotted Stain and Iida, he didn't have time for anything but what he did. He didn't have time to tell the authorities. He didn't have time to actually text anyone. It's actually pretty contrived he was somehow able to text his position to his class. Unless they'd foreseen the need for a one touch panic button app on their smartphones, but then, the message would have been much less ambiguous.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-06, 09:31   Link #833
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Unless they'd foreseen the need for a one touch panic button app on their smartphones, but then, the message would have been much less ambiguous.
He may have simply prepared his cellphone in advance, and not broadcast anything until he reached, well, the actual location of danger. Even so, it wouldn't surprise me to know that such a panic button app exists and is common in their world - what with all the villain attacks all the time .

Old 2017-08-06, 11:12   Link #834
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

If so, even a simple "help!" to go with the coordinates would have been helpful.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-06, 11:56   Link #835
DemonneoPT

Quote:

And again, rules exist for a reason, you can't just make exceptions to them whenever you feel like it or you might just not have rules at all.
The authorities were busy fighting the Nomus and containing their destruction. Even if Deku called them, the phone lines would probably be full because Deku would not be the only one with problems when huge explosions are happening. Plus, when he actually found Stain and got his location, he literally had no time at all for phone calls and sharing information as you have seen in the previous episodes. It was a messed up situation with a particular set of circunstances that led to Deku facing Stain alone. These outlier situations do not happen everytime. They are rare and require a different approach, even if the law is broken by it. Otherwise humans would be no different from a senseless machine!

So yes, you MUST make exceptions depending on the situation. You can't discard common sense and blindly follow a rule that should only be applied in a general situation. In this case, Deku and co. would never used their powers and break the law if no one had their lives at risk. If they let Iida and the other hero guy die then they should just quit their hero training. Their job is to put their life on the line and save people. They are soldiers with immense power. Killing machines that chose to use their strenght for the greater good. Sure, Deku and Todoroki could have died. But you also know the other hero and Iida would also be killed if no one had helped. Our heroes only did their job. Being an hero itself is already risking your life to begin with. I understand all the burocracy and troubles that would arise if the public got to know what happened, like the Dog police dude pointed out. Especially if people died. Humans always demand a culprit even if it is impossible to act differently or preventing the course of action anyway. But if the solution to it is giving a blind eye to the ones in need, then maybe Stain is right and that world is indeed fucked up. Luckily, the police dog understand this, proving that Stain is wrong and All Might is far from being the only true hero out there.
DemonneoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-06, 12:34   Link #836
Kenju of the Right
Imagine Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
I might be in the minority here, but I still wish to get my opinion out there.

*note: this is my opinion only*
To be honest, I wasn't that blown away by Stein . Of course, he is one of the more interesting and better villains in shounen. That I can acknowledge, but I would not rave about him like many would.

To me, his "duty", let's say his tenacity stemmed from his obsession with the term "hero". Sure, it may not have the same meaning as it did in old days, but so do many other words. In the end, it's just a word, you can swap "Hero" to "Quirk Detective" and we would still have the same circumstances.

Well, perhaps not entirely. While it is true that society should not have elevated and worshipped "Hero" like they are now, it does not justifying all the bloodshed that he has done.

We have seen time and time again, that despite there are @sshole like Endevour, many other professional Heroes are genuine and decent individuals, just like how there are definitely some bad apple doctors who care about nothing but money, there are many other doctors who look after their patients with dignity and respect.
Would you take away their salary and force to do their job without compensation? ah hell no
Exactly,

Some people criticized that the series didnt show any heroes do anything seriously bad, but thats the point

thats the smart thing the writer, Horikoshi did. While you could agree with his ideals on a philosophical level, the story has made a point to not validate Stain's actions by showing many seriously messed up heroes and end up making him look like the good guy.

By not showing those things, Stain is still portrayed as a villain. The story doesnt validate his extreme actions, thereby making him a psychopath despite his good intentions. And these actions come with karma(as this series does alot) by Stain unintentionally bringing about more insane villains in the world.

as said early, damn Horikoshi is good
Intellectual Village: Volume 6 Chapter 3
Mitou Shoukan:// Blood Sign Volume 1 Chapter 1
Heavy Object: Volume 10 Complete
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk: Volume 7 Chapter 2
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Volume 12 Chapter 12
Rokka no Yuusha Volume 4 Chapter 1

Kenju of the Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-06, 13:12   Link #837
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I never rooted for him. Understand his motivations, yes, but rooting for him? No. I don't think Native or Ingenium ever did anything to deserve what they got. And even if he took down someone like Endeavor, that's not the way you're supposed to go about things.
Old 2017-08-06, 18:10   Link #838
Twi

Technically, we don't know anything about Native, aside from being victim #2 if not for intervention and he wears a really silly outfit. Ultimately, Stain is a villain, but I still think he had a point. He tried words, they didn't work so he went to action and went way too far.
Old 2017-08-06, 19:09   Link #839
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I think we know enough about Native to say it's pretty harsh to say he deserves to be murdered.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-06, 22:11   Link #840
LG-MAX 2.o

I finally reached the current episodes, I think boku no hero is easily one of the best adaptations of a jump manga, it's amazing how the technical quality of the episodes remains constant, something totally different of One Piece.

And the "fillers" used only enrich the story.
LG-MAX 2.o is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, super hero, superpowers