AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > High School DxD

Notices

Old 2012-01-20, 19:49   Link #481
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Personally, I think the nipple lasers is a bit too much. I know, I know, it's that kind of show, but if you're pulling something like that I expect it to be humorous or at least threatening. Instead, it only got like 15 seconds screentime, it might as well not be there. I mean, not that I really mind it, but I just expected a bigger payoff (btw, is that from the LN, or anime original?)

Well, beside that the episode serves its purpose well, I guess. They explain a bit more about the setting with the chess motif and what the group actually do, even having a fight scene to show off their battle abilities (yeah, Issei got a long way to go).

There's also the new character Asia Argenta (I think that's the name of a real person, right?), the standard fare innocent girl, cute enough but I still like the devil girls better. Then there's the priest, at least they give him a bit of a crazy personality but to be honest I'm kinda annoyed by his ramblings at the end. Hopefully Issei can beat him up and shut him up for good when they rescue Asia next episode. So there's your antagonist and damsel in distress, looks like there will be more plot and action next week.
Old 2012-01-20, 20:09   Link #482
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
Really want to ask, cos of late I'm sick to death of being forced to identify with cruel and hateful anti-heroes after being dragged through 3 Episodes of a disgustingly mean-spirited-and-cynial piece of shit called "Game of Thrones" by friend who thought the Idealistic-Heroism of Fate Unlimted Blade Works was "unrealistic" fantasy.

Sure, Rias-Oneechan and CO seems to be decent person.

Right Now, at least.

But is it only an act (like QB of Puella Magika Madoka Magi) that will be dropped as soon as it loses its necessity, before drawing Isse into a life where he has to laugh while killing babies, burning cities while causing endless misery and suffering like a TRUE Devil?

Or is this a hopeful universe where you can be a kind, decent and good-hearted person who wants to make the world a kinder and gentler place even if you ARE a Devil?

Sorry, the disgusting fatalism of Thrones left such a bad taste in the mouth that I don't ever want to taste it EVER again.
I think it's highly unlikely that the series will turn "sour" and change Rias and Co into evil beasts.
It looks like this series is taking an approach that's now found ever more in fantasy literature, where angels and demons only differe in their opinions and world views, without being good or evil per se. This is a much more realistic approach anyway - rather than having the primitive white and black, good and evil sides sharply delineated, there are various shades of grey.

So it's safe to identify with Issei - which seems finally like a good lead character to identify with
I generally don't identify (or not much) with the main characters, not just in anime, but watch it with more distance. Here with Issei it works though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
So I keep something else in mind: Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou. That dude was a Demon King from the start, and it wasn't something he chose or could change either. He wasn't all belligerent and happily destroying peaceful days left and right, and the series fed my harem comedy and fanservice appetite quite well without him using his powers for evil. Sure I don't know how the story is since the end of the anime adaption, but it went well, and I hope DxD goes just as well.
Yes, I'd say it's quite similar here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koominator View Post
JUST.NEED.TO.WAIT.FOR.SUBS!

Ohai mangatron and TheEroKing (My favourite ecchi couple)
"Couple" as in "Yaoi couple"? Oh my, I didn't know they were into that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak86 View Post
ok, honestly... this is becoming a tad bit too ridiculous/over-the-top for my tastes (both in terms of "fanservice" and in terms of everything else) -- although, the Asia-scenes were indeed delicious. but rather than Queen's Blade, I'm more reminded of Qwaser s1/s2

on other news: 4th and final flash-game is a go!
Again, you know where to send a PM
Old 2012-01-20, 21:23   Link #483
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Eh, this episode seem kind of senseless to me. All I saw were boobs, erect nipples firing lasers and more boobs and pyscho priest.
Old 2012-01-20, 21:46   Link #484
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
^ Maybe you are watching the wrong show

In other words, what did you expect
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-20, 21:54   Link #485
evil_kenshin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
+1; if your complaining that there's boobs and a psycho priest then you should be watching something else
Old 2012-01-20, 22:06   Link #486
lightsenshi
Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
Then I shall kindly remind you you are complaining about the wrong things. I find it a little difficult to imagine that you randomly downloaded something called "Highschool DxD" and not seeing at least a description about it
(snippy comment) Because it's the wrong thing for you, then it's the wrong thing for everyone? (/snippy comment)

Guess what: I don't look at previews either. The only thing I look at is the description of the show. Different standard of measure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth View Post
Eh, this episode seem kind of senseless to me. All I saw were boobs, erect nipples firing lasers and more boobs and pyscho priest.
You were expecting, maybe, Shakespeare?
Old 2012-01-20, 22:07   Link #487
Malkuth
Banned

@evil_kenshin: Thanks, it's just that occasionally some posters (not necessarily Wandering_Youth), try to force false or even baseless expectations to shows they watch, and then endlessly complaint, write crappy reviews (ANN's Carlos anyone ), and spam neg-rep on the voices of reason or humor obviously not meant for them

Last edited by Malkuth; 2012-01-20 at 22:08. Reason: ref & typo
Old 2012-01-20, 22:09   Link #488
D-KLAC
KLAC OF THE ANIME WORLD

ok now we got a crazy wacky excorcist person who total nutcase really whoever voicing that excorcist is so PLAYING AGAINST TYPE.

yet also laser shooting acid melt doobi beam?! yea queen’s blade called melona is so going why you doobi milk attack on it.

also seem looking indeed plot starting to hmm with nun girl appear got wonder what next & being a pawn you got long way to be harem king.

really wonder funi going to dub this series someday (must think which funi va to cast on it.)
YOU EITHER ANIME NEXUS http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 OR AGAINST THE ANIME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WFM...eature=related
KLAC OF PERSONALITY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqyG8w0iMPw
D-KLAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-20, 22:12   Link #489
Malkuth
Banned

D-KLAC, pawns in chess have always the possibilities to become queens
Old 2012-01-20, 22:30   Link #490
Tenchi Ryu
True Harem End or BUST

Decent episode, but this seriously needs to be said. Rias has been a TERRIBLE leader so far. She talks about Issei failing her, but she keeps putting him in these terrible situations he can't control...

She's hot, but a terrible master and leader, just had to say it. But at least she's hot.
Old 2012-01-20, 22:33   Link #491
Malkuth
Banned

^ so she needs also some punishment too Ah! I miss Hakaba/Dairiseki, he could draw her a pointer or two

Last edited by Malkuth; 2012-01-20 at 22:36. Reason: author's circle reference
Old 2012-01-20, 23:28   Link #492
evil_kenshin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Ryu View Post
Decent episode, but this seriously needs to be said. Rias has been a TERRIBLE leader so far. She talks about Issei failing her, but she keeps putting him in these terrible situations he can't control...

She's hot, but a terrible master and leader, just had to say it. But at least she's hot.
i'm presuming your the same person on myanimelist , but as you were told there in both cases it wasn't her fault

in terms of the fallen angel in ep2 it was a fluke that she was sent to dispose of his remains (which means that no matter where issei was he would of been attacked; it was just a coincidence he was coming back from a mission)

in this episode the barrier prevented her knowing about the crazy exorcist guy

if anything she's been a good leader.
Old 2012-01-21, 00:20   Link #493
Tenchi Ryu
True Harem End or BUST

Not the fact that Issei was in trouble, but how she's treated him about it. She was scolding him about not getting the job done, and that's a terrible way of treating a new recruit who's new to your world and doesn't know the ropes. The fact she puts in such an inexperienced then gets upset at his failures is not good.

Personally, I wouldn't even be sending Issei out without a proper training session or something.
Old 2012-01-21, 00:46   Link #494
Wandering_Youth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post

In other words, what did you expect
I was hoping for something not like Queen's Blade. I was thinking the ecchi scenes would go away or tone down from here on because most shows used it to grab viewers attention. I like some fan service, but if a anime uses it excessively I feel like the producers or authors aren't trying very hard making good video entertainment or even trying to tell a good story. I love the character art though and I admit the ED and OP are well done in a aesthic point of view. I wanna like this show, but I can't find much comedy or humor it and the story is developing at tad to slow for me at this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsenshi View Post
You were expecting, maybe, Shakespeare?
Na just more story/info/plot development about the whole Angels vs Fallen Angels vs Humans vs Devils or the reason why some people are chosen for the Sacred Weapons/Gears. The style or way the producers are implementing the fan service feel poorly executed.

Last edited by Wandering_Youth; 2012-01-21 at 02:48.
Wandering_Youth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-21, 01:14   Link #495
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Episode 03

Eh, I knew before ep 02 aired that the plot will take it's merry time, and.... I sure wouldn't have a problem with it if Akeno would at least show us some skin

Seriously, what did I say a couple of days ago? "No girl gets into a fight and leaves with her clothes intact" Hey Tenchi, Rias is a bad leader all right. She sent the washboard in a direct assault, send Akenocchi I say! Why did Akenocchi have to be so powerful to the point where she doesn't get her hands dirty

Oh yeah, there was a blonde girl in this ep, nice cameltoe hyuck hyuck hyuck Gotta say that whacko priest is someone you do not give a sword and a gun to. How many times throughout the end of the ep did I roll my eyes thinking "dude, shut up and shoot, then you'll win, right?"

But yeah, bad guys need to gloat and chit chat, because they always do, right? History showed us time and time again, the more they talk, the higher chance they die while they're talking

And no Rias shower scene. Oh well, they had to stop some time. Budget had to go to the booby lasers And uh... nice eyecatch? XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
Personally, I think the nipple lasers is a bit too much.
Personally I too think it's quite too much. Seriously, where's the energy source?

Okay really seriously, the fact it shot some sort of acid and not directed energy, makes it all the more and doesn't make it lasers anymore, she's just a Poison Ivy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
"Couple" as in "Yaoi couple"? Oh my, I didn't know they were into that
Naw, I'm straight Kaboominator was just referring to our avatars last week which were practically a mirror of 2 different girls:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsenshi View Post
(snippy comment) Because it's the wrong thing for you, then it's the wrong thing for everyone? (/snippy comment)
It helps to look before you leap

You threw a grenade into the grenade stockpile. You quite literally asked for the ensuing explosion So you watched something, and didn't like it. You questioned the one ingredient in your meal that was the main ingredient of the meal. Rather than complaining about something you did out of your own accord, you just need to swallow it and either not eat it again or continue chewing. That reminds me of that hilarious complaint where a person was complaining about a menu item in McDonalds. That person was indirectly insinuating that there should be "demo" items to taste

Do keep in mind one thing. Just a few days ago there was a heated debate in another thread, where fanservice was a topic in a series that may or may not have it as a main ingredient. In this thread, it is the one valid place where it defines the series, so you will see some of us on edge when one person jumps in and complains about something very obvious.

Quote:
Guess what: I don't look at previews either. The only thing I look at is the description of the show. Different standard of measure.
Oh I've done my share of complaining about the serious deficiency of series descriptions online. One thing I've learned is if there are no genre's assigned to the series or no tags, then surprise is a part of the deal. No more "manga descriptions for an anime" for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Ryu View Post
Not the fact that Issei was in trouble, but how she's treated him about it. She was scolding him about not getting the job done, and that's a terrible way of treating a new recruit who's new to your world and doesn't know the ropes. The fact she puts in such an inexperienced then gets upset at his failures is not good.

Personally, I wouldn't even be sending Issei out without a proper training session or something.
lol

You see, these are his training sessions, so to speak. Remember that originally he's supposed to teleport to his locations, making things a lot easier and safer. Oh well this is probably those times like how a character has protagonists powers, he's got some serious bad luck preventing him from teleporting.

So there's no way Rias-chan can control the outcome of his assignments. Just like how it's Issei's fault he didn't get the otaku guy to sign his papers and instead argue with him, it's a situation Rias didn't have any control over, so be it good things or bad things, he is given assignments and as a pawn, it's his duty to carry them out. As we've seen in ep 03, Rias was very much unknowing of the situation of his assignment, and she was very much regrettable.
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-21, 01:27   Link #496
Xaturas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth View Post
I was hoping for something not like Queen's Blade. I was thinking the ecchi scenes go down hill from here on because they just used it to grab viewers attention. I like some fan service, but if a anime uses it excessively I feel like the producers or authors aren't trying very hard making good video entertainment or even trying to tell a good story. I love the character art though and I admit the ED and OP are well done in a aesthic point of view. I wanna like this show, but I can't find much comedy or humor it and the story is developing at tad to slow for me at this point.

Na just more story/info/plot development about the whole Angels vs Fallen Angels vs Humans vs Devils or the reason why some people are chosen for the Sacred Weapons/Gears. The style or way the producers are implementing the fan service feel poorly executed.

O rly.
Because you see I was preparing myself to get some crazy ecchi from ep 03 yet about 5 minutes after ep started I forgot completly about boobs.
Boobz lazers didn't make on me some bad impression, I was more interesed about the wall that melted behind Issei. And Asia *rape* scene wasn't sexually arousing, I was more interested in her hand being impaled while she didn't give a damn about it, not to mention the dual standards for priest who just want to rape his subordinate ^^. But thats what you get from falen angels, I just wonder if angels will also be a shade of gray.
But will know it as I just right now am going to read the manga and then start on the translated novels.

So to sum it up, if you are so "saint" that you cannot survive boobz and tits and pants for the story then find something else.
Some people like horrors, some people, like ecchi, some people like slice of life comedy, and some people like moeblobs K-on shit (which I just can't understand, gross otaku).
Xaturas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-21, 01:44   Link #497
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
I was hoping for something not like Queen's Blade. I was thinking the ecchi scenes go down hill from here on because they just used it to grab viewers attention. I like some fan service, but if a anime uses it excessively I feel like the producers or authors aren't trying very hard making good video entertainment or even trying to tell a good story. I love the character art though and I admit the ED and OP are well done in a aesthic point of view. I wanna like this show, but I can't find much comedy or humor it and the story is developing at tad to slow for me at this point.

Read the environment. These two episodes already showed us that plot seriousness at the level of Shakugan no Shana doesn't exist here; the closest this show will get is Needless, which has the same amount of violence and fanservice, although I know that Needless is more violent. Besides, the presence of mammaries should not be a problem, because if it is, this series should have been dropped at Episode 1.

One important tip: do NOT follow the Three-Episode Rule, especially if you already expect disappointment.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-21, 02:25   Link #498
Wandering_Youth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaturas View Post
O rly.
Because you see I was preparing myself to get some crazy ecchi from ep 03 yet about 5 minutes after ep started I forgot completly about boobs.
Boobz lazers didn't make on me some bad impression, I was more interesed about the wall that melted behind Issei. And Asia *rape* scene wasn't sexually arousing, I was more interested in her hand being impaled while she didn't give a damn about it, not to mention the dual standards for priest who just want to rape his subordinate ^^. But thats what you get from falen angels, I just wonder if angels will also be a shade of gray.
But will know it as I just right now am going to read the manga and then start on the translated novels.

So to sum it up, if you are so "saint" that you cannot survive boobz and tits and pants for the story then find something else.
Some people like horrors, some people, like ecchi, some people like slice of life comedy, and some people like moeblobs K-on shit (which I just can't understand, gross otaku).
A naked woman is sexy but leaves no room for imagination. A sexy woman wearing some erotic lingerie while sitting down in a very revealing position is very stimulating. Same thing, one just lacks style, execution, fun, spice.

I never read the manga, just the plot description for the anime so don't expect me to know what happens later because that's no fun cause I don't like spoilers. I'm basing it all on what I'm seeing from the perspective of a complete new viewer of this show and we're only on episode 3 and it's only my opinion of episode 3. I never said I can't stand boobs I just wish they shown it in a better way that goes well with the story and I'm just talking about episode 3 here and not the entire anime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Read the environment. These two episodes already showed us that plot seriousness at the level of Shakugan no Shana doesn't exist here; the closest this show will get is Needless, which has the same amount of violence and fanservice, although I know that Needless is more violent. Besides, the presence of mammaries should not be a problem, because if it is, this series should have been dropped at Episode 1.

One important tip: do NOT follow the Three-Episode Rule, especially if you already expect disappointment.
Excuse, me? Three episode rule? What the heck is that?

I'm not dissappointed I just find it charring/disruptive because it felt like they threw in the boob monster just for the hell of it

End of Story!

Last edited by Wandering_Youth; 2012-01-21 at 02:44.
Wandering_Youth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-21, 02:39   Link #499
EroKing

In the future even if you don't want to watch promos, better to check out the genres and stuff as it hardly takes a minute to read.

High School DxD Info

Categories: Boing, Demons, Ecchi, High School, Novel, Nudity, Pantsu, School Life, Shounen, Violence.

From what we have seen so far surely there will be nudity in every episode in some form.
Have to agree on the titty laser comments though, slightly funny but distasteful ecchi
Old 2012-01-21, 02:54   Link #500
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

FACK! Why couldn't this be a 1hr episode? I hope nothing bad happens to Asia T-T

Something tells me that she's going to be Issei's first slave.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, ecchi, fantasy, harem, romance, shounen