AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-01-16, 22:41   Link #1
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48
What if... (American Singers/Celebrities as Anime Voice Actors)

(ok, I know this is a weird question but I'll ask it anyway for laughs)

We all know that seiyuus/VAs in Japan are often idols and pop stars. Sure, not all of them are all that famous, but sometimes a big pop star comes along as a seiyuu.

So, if you could choose any random American singer/celebrity to voice an anime character, who would you choose and for what parts? Yeah, most of the time it's a hard match, but there are some that would fit nicely in my opinion anyways (Avril Lavigne as Haruhi or Rin from Fate/Stay Night, maybe.)

(Yeah, I know it'll never happen due to issues with money and all...this thread is mainly for fun)

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader|Go Avs/Broncos
speedyexpress48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 03:25   Link #2
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

I will take Linkin Park vocalist as Broly (DBZ) and Mickael Youn as Tori (Horizon). I'd also like to hear Justin Bieber as Kyubey (Madoka Magica) !
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList

Last edited by MisaoFan; 2012-01-20 at 09:11. Reason: The anime I'm mentionning
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 05:00   Link #3
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Isn't that already a common practice?

At least the german dub for big theatre animations, like Pixar movies, are usually done by famous (german) actors and stars. The idea is, that voice acting is still acting, so an actor is best suited for it. Singers are vocal artists, so they fit the job description too.

I don't know for sure how widespread this is in the US, but I can at least remember several cases where animated characters were voiced by famous Holywood actors.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 07:46   Link #4
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
Isn't that already a common practice?

At least the german dub for big theatre animations, like Pixar movies, are usually done by famous (german) actors and stars. The idea is, that voice acting is still acting, so an actor is best suited for it. Singers are vocal artists, so they fit the job description too.

I don't know for sure how widespread this is in the US, but I can at least remember several cases where animated characters were voiced by famous Holywood actors.
It's not widespread in the US, at least as far as anime goes. The only anime that are voiced by Hollywood actors here are the Ghibli films because of their collaboration with Disney. Everything else is done by a group of "voice actors" who tend to be limited to anime and video games, sometimes with minor TV or movie cameos. It's one of the reasons dubs are often considered to be lower quality. It's gotten better in recent years but I still only listen to the dub if the original audio isn't available.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 14:59   Link #5
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
I can only dream, but I'd love to hear Ian McKellen voice Charles di Britannia from Code Geass. And while we're at it, Arnold Schwarzenegger can be Gendou Ikari from Evangelion. Hilarity ensues.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 21:31   Link #6
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito_Kinomoto View Post
I can only dream, but I'd love to hear Ian McKellen voice Charles di Britannia from Code Geass. And while we're at it, Arnold Schwarzenegger can be Gendou Ikari from Evangelion. Hilarity ensues.
Hmm, and maybe Daniel Craig as Lelouch?

Nah, too old...what young British actor would fit him...hmm...

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader|Go Avs/Broncos
speedyexpress48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 07:28   Link #7
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

I've mentioned elsewhere that I'd like to hear Tomoe Mami being voiced by Jodie Foster.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 21:18   Link #8
winterbaby
вelιnda

I would like to see Rihanna be the voice Kagome from inuyasha
Old 2012-07-31, 23:25   Link #9
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
I would like to see Dakota Fanning do the voice of Misaki Mei from Another, for some odd reason "shudders".