AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-12-11, 09:03   Link #1
Nessaja
rawr

MMO servers in EU...

Really, either you get Russians, Polish folks or people from UAE... There really isn't even reason to play on the EU servers anymore because that's the language you'll hear 90% of the time... No offence but I'm tired. This is the 9th MMO that I've played so far that have gotten "invaded" by these countries.

I'm hoping that a Realm Reborn turns out to be different, and yeah it will because I ain't touching the EU versions anymore. US servers might only have one drawback and that's the ping other than that I can live with like time differences and such.

So my question is: How do you cope with issues like these? Do you move on or perhaps switch server(s), try to stay solo etc.
Nessaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-11, 09:36   Link #2
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessaja View Post
Really, either you get Russians, Polish folks or people from UAE... There really isn't even reason to play on the EU servers anymore because that's the language you'll hear 90% of the time... No offence but I'm tired. This is the 9th MMO that I've played so far that have gotten "invaded" by these countries.

I'm hoping that a Realm Reborn turns out to be different, and yeah it will because I ain't touching the EU versions anymore. US servers might only have one drawback and that's the ping other than that I can live with like time differences and such.

So my question is: How do you cope with issues like these? Do you move on or perhaps switch server(s), try to stay solo etc.
Personally, I've always preferred the international servers and multiple languages to purely American servers -- on average over the years, I've simply had a better social experience. I'm rather unimpressed with the behavior of a fair percentage of the "local kiddies" (US).

Now what you describe may be a more recent phenomenon I just haven't encountered yet, so I'm not saying it isn't happening. It may be a function of the "free-to-play" fad in MMOs.
Old 2012-12-11, 12:04   Link #3
Nessaja
rawr

All the ones that I've played have been are subscription based, so I'm not sure... RO, L2, WoW, TERA among others.
Old 2012-12-11, 16:54   Link #4
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Are there any language specific chat channels? I want to say EQ2 had set up French and other language chat but its been so long since I've been there.
Old 2012-12-11, 18:52   Link #5
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

First of, what's your main gripe with foreign speakers? Is it because you can't understand what they are saying or are they being jerks to you? Does it really matter to you what they are saying on general chats?

Secondly, you are probably better off using a US East server if there's an option for it if you want to avoid non-english speaking gamers or just learn to ignore it. As game developers/publisher pushing to expand the market, there will be more and more foreign speaking gamers in international titles but the volume is not there yet to provide servers that caters to all the different language spoken especially in the EU/Asia region.

I kinda share the same preference as Vexx. I know there are folks that gets annoyed/irritated when other players speak in foreign language but I'm pretty neutral to it. It gives a sense of internationality and i know i ll be able to find players around the clock. Eventhough i rarely interact with them but it's always been an interesting experience when I do.

I wish more games would provide alternate communication tools to help players of different nationality communicate ingame. Atleast some sort of canned messages like "go there, attack this, follow me & etc".
Old 2012-12-11, 19:22   Link #6
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I think the OP is worried because he literally can't find anyone he understands to group with or socialize with. Or at least that was my take on it. If everyone is speaking "martian" and you don't its kind of hard to socialize or group. A nice balance of languages is what one would like to see.

And yeah, the "canned button basic dialog" would be a great idea.

I tend to play in the early morning or late night - so I've often ended up playing with Aussies, Asians, or folks in Europe. The worst time is late afternoon US time ... the group IQ drops 50 points and the social skills start to resemble rabid wolverines.
Old 2012-12-11, 20:04   Link #7
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

My only gripe with playing in EU server during SWTOR is the time when player become active. Living in Asia and workinh full time, the only time I'm able to play freely is at night here, and during that time, EU server is always soooo devoid of people XD. It's probably because latency issue, but it seems most Asian player prefer to play on west coast US server instead of EU server.
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-11, 20:05   Link #8
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

For WOW, is this a result of the cross-server populating of zones on EU servers? Prior to Mists of Pandaria I was fairly sure their servers were language specific (German, French, English, etc....)
Old 2012-12-11, 21:19   Link #9
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

On paper I prefer international servers, but they are largely non-existent these days, and playing on a European server is a poor substitute to the days when there were only servers in the USA, and everyone played on them, regardless of where you lived.

The last MMO I played that I felt had a truly international community was Anarchy Online (for the first two years or so, at least).

If I log on to a European server today, it's usually in the dead time. In the old days when there were no regional servers, it didn't matter when you logged on: your server was generally healthy 24/7.

I've always hated how servers are regional now. What should have-and used to be-a tool to bring the world together simply threw everyone into small niches in the spirit of chasing the all-mighty ping. I miss the days when the guilds I joined would have more multi-lingual people than not, and german was just as likely to be spoken as English (though English was usually the one language everyone knew, with german/dutch variants being #2).

The funny thing is that most MMOs these days compensate for ping in various ways, allowing even those who wish to play competitively to do fine without requiring a 40 ms connection to the server. And, in the old days, even with 300 ms ping, it didn't stop me from playing at a high level. Basically, I feel ping has been grossly over-prioritized by the general player-base.

As far as canned responses in chat go, I question how useful they are. After-all, they existed in Final Fantasy XI and XIV, and while I'm sure there are exceptions, the general feeling I got while playing both games rather heavily is that most players preferred not to deal with other players who didn't speak their language.

Oh, and to actually answer your question, just play on an American server. Unless your ping is crazy high, I doubt it'll negatively affect you.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-11, 22:17   Link #10
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessaja View Post
I guess it's an easy question for me since I'm located in the US (West coast in particular); however, I do get the aforementioned drawback when I play MMO pservers. If I'm looking to play serious, I would definitely find a guild/clan that can at least speak moderate English. I definitely these common EU languages that you're talking about. If I'm on a pserver just to have some fun/play casual, I generally solo or if there's a party, I'll join, but I won't talk unless I start seeing English.

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-11, 22:36   Link #11
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I play WOW from California, but when we picked a server it happened to be an East Coast server...so raiding became difficult since half of us were on Pacific Time while the rest of the guild (or the guild we were helping at that time) was Altantic or Central Time Zones. Meaning they were ready to go before we would get back from work, and we've be halfway thorugh the raid when they needed to go to bed for the next day of work or school.
Old 2012-12-12, 02:35   Link #12
Nessaja
rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I think the OP is worried because he literally can't find anyone he understands to group with or socialize with. Or at least that was my take on it. If everyone is speaking "martian" and you don't its kind of hard to socialize or group. A nice balance of languages is what one would like to see.
This, however when 90% of the chat is filled with russian/polish/turkish/arabic it gets kinda boring, both in general/trade chat and in groups or raids. Same goes for Diablo 3. I just leave once I see azbuka and there's no point discussing it since neither is gonna understand each other (I've tried and I know were that went).

Folks from UAE don't even belong on "our" servers yet they still come, and that is a game breaker for me at least, and not just me but friends as well. Guildies have moved servers because these folks literally take over the server once people start leaving. Look at WoW for example, they even made Russian servers because it was getting problematic. Not to mention they don't make separate channels even if the option is there. https://forum.tera-europe.com/showthread.php?t=10003 is an an example.

However switching US side is not easy. We're talking about switching game... Yes, these games are handles by different corps and that means that your maxed-out character is not gonna be there nor is there an option to move em over.
Old 2012-12-12, 04:42   Link #13
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

My personal experience/advice is to try and find groups of your own nationality through outside sources, such as guild websites or the like. Though if you are the kind of person that likes talking with random people in world chat and the like, I'm afraid I can't say much, other than acknowledge it might be a bit of a problem, even if they might be a majority. I saw similar controversy over at the Guild Wars 2 EU forums.

As a Veteran EVE player, I'm used to Russian or Russian-ish language, but I've always stuck to corporations with English as the established primary language, even if the alliances have a wide international playerbase. And EVE is one server, mind, so no choosing servers. Currently I'm part of a Swedish corp within a multi-international alliance where the native languages are kept within the corporations. In some cases I can get by with their horrible English.

So, basically try and find a group within your own nationality or at least uses English as a primary language and play with them, unless you already tried.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote