Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-04-26, 14:41   Link #1
anime-overload
Anime Enforcer

Send a message via MSN to anime-overload
Recommendations (For a friend)

Okay, imagine your friend comes up to you and asks you; “Hay, you like anime, are there any really good ones that I should see straight away? If so what are they? Why are they good? And what type (e.g comedy) is it?”

So what would say. What would you recommend, and why?.....
Old 2006-04-26, 14:46   Link #2
Lucy-sama
childlike dreams

I recommend Love Hina straight away. It's full of humor, and there are six discs of episodes and three movies released in English. That should preoccupy them for a while.
Old 2006-04-26, 15:03   Link #3
Nightbat®
Deadpan Snarker

I would recommend a smaller font

I think it would depend on the person

Trinity Blood, Bleach, or Rozen Maiden would be my first suggestions

but for some people I wouldn't recommend any
since watching anime the first time has a big "WTF-Barrier" to punch through
Old 2006-04-26, 15:38   Link #4
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightbat®
Trinity Blood... Rozen Maiden would be my first suggestions
For someone new to anime? I don't think so. (Living dolls is about as big as the WTF-Barrier gets, lol)

I'd say anime along the lines of Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist, etc... They are well known for a reason.
Old 2006-04-26, 19:56   Link #5
NightbladeX14
Super Junior Loser

Send a message via AIM to NightbladeX14
School Rumble is definite must to recommend then. Everyone i know that watched it ended up staying at my house for hours watching straight up to Second Term. A really good one is Suzumiyu Haruhi no errr...i dont rememeber the name but that one is a new one thats also extremely good. 10/10 rating on animenfo! ^-~
Old 2006-04-26, 20:45   Link #6
Thyrz
Laidback Luke

Yeah School Rumble is a great introduction to anime. Best comedy I know of and comedy always hits the spot with new things.

Another good intro would be Initial D, it's about street racing. If he likes cars you cannot go wrong with that.
Old 2006-04-26, 23:53   Link #7
Scorch

What sorts of things does your friend like to watch in non anime? What sort of age range?

Cowboy Bebop is a good starting point for anyone who isn't extremely young in my opinion. It has good characters, and it's not "too Japanese" for lack of a better description. I like Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuioku Hen (aka Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal) more, but I think it's too Japanese for a good introductory anime. Jin-Roh might work if your friend likes psychological or political thrillers.
Old 2006-04-27, 02:45   Link #8
nixie
Nyunga Ro Chaga

Gee everyone knows Naruto and Bleach are the way to go for noobs! I don't particularly like them but I would mention them anyway. You can't really go wrong with them you know; they get more hits than misses.

That aside, something smarter but light, funny and fast-paced would be a good choice as well. Titles like Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Vandread, Full Metal Panic, Chobits and Rurouni Kenshin would do more good than harm. Fruits Basket and Honey & Clover would definitely work well for girls.
Old 2006-04-27, 03:13   Link #9
Bloodseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie
I recommend Love Hina straight away. It's full of humor, and there are six discs of episodes and three movies released in English. That should preoccupy them for a while.
That's terrible. If I had never heard of anime before, and my friend introduced me to anime with that, I wouldn't exactly be anticipating whatever show he had in store for me next. The manga was concentrated win, but the anime was really annoying.

I'd use Outlaw Star. Cool characters, good setting, good action scenes, good humor, a fair amount of plot without getting too deep... its the ultimate newbie anime. If it were one of those girls that don't like violence or sex-related humor, first I'd tell them that they probably wouldn't find much appeal in anime, then I'd point them in the direction of Fruits Basket. I haven't seen it, but I've never ran across a person online that I knew was female that disliked it. (I've never known anyone in person that I knew of that had watched it)
Old 2006-04-27, 03:52   Link #10
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodseeker
That's terrible. If I had never heard of anime before, and my friend introduced me to anime with that, I wouldn't exactly be anticipating whatever show he had in store for me next. The manga was concentrated win, but the anime was really annoying.
Yeah I can only think that it would apeal to a depressed college student . I think the manga and anime were both about the same... except the characters were a bit more consistent in the anime. I dunno, I read the manga after watching the anime, so I guess I didn't develop any partiality to it like a lot of ppl. They both were really mediocre actually, except I didn't hate the protagonist in the anime as much as I did in the manga .

~on second thought, I did quite enjoy it when I first saw it (like my 5th anime)... being a depressed college student and somewhat ignorant of what good anime had to offer, I guess that's to be expected.
Old 2006-04-27, 04:26   Link #11
Bloodseeker

I didn't like the way that the jokes were executed in the anime. It seemed too cartoonish. It just wasn't funny at all. And its the only anime that I've ever seen where the lack of fanservice made it feel like it was really missing something. I mean, Keitaro was getting turned on by almost catching a glimpse, and the girls were getting mad at him for seeing them securely wrapped in towels? I could see it with Motoko, since she's really shy, but with the others? Its been a long time since I've read it, and I don't feel like browsing through the volumes that I have on my shelf right now, but I think that I remember a few scenes where Keitaro saw Naru in a towel and she didn't even care.

As for the topic, Great Teacher Onizuka is another one that really seems to appeal to the mainstream crowd. Its good comedy, and all of my friends seemed to agree with me. Some of them were laughing so hard that they were tearing up.
Old 2006-04-27, 13:39   Link #12
lavielove

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixie
Gee everyone knows Naruto and Bleach are the way to go for noobs! I don't particularly like them but I would mention them anyway.
duh! Everything is getting a place for a reason that they deserve to be in that place.I don't feel like it's right to categorize them as the noobs for that.Some of the people do not have enough time to watch animes and they are just sticking to the show they like most. If you title them as noobs,sir,you are wrong.Actually I sometimes even like that kind of fans who are just sticking to one show because they love the character of a particular anime more than the people who are watching a dozen shows at the same time.

back to the topic.what nixe recommend is right.If your friend is totally new to the anime and not showing interest in watching anime.Naruto(action) is the first one he should go with.If your friend is a girl,go with Ichigo Mashimaro(slice of life comedy).

Alot of people said that I should not recommend animes =D so do check the storylines in animenfo or animenewsnetwork before you go.
Old 2006-04-28, 02:07   Link #13
Soka-chan

Fullmetal Alchemist.It ahs everything:humour, drama, action, very good character designs and complex characteruzation.Very good plot to boot^^
Old 2006-04-28, 02:53   Link #14
nixie
Nyunga Ro Chaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavielove
duh! Everything is getting a place for a reason that they deserve to be in that place.I don't feel like it's right to categorize them as the noobs for that.Some of the people do not have enough time to watch animes and they are just sticking to the show they like most. If you title them as noobs,sir,you are wrong.Actually I sometimes even like that kind of fans who are just sticking to one show because they love the character of a particular anime more than the people who are watching a dozen shows at the same time.
You know, you are exaggerating things. I didn't label fans as noobs, I only said they are the best suggestions to turn non anime fans (a.k.a noobs) into anime fans; that's what I meant by "more hits than misses".
Old 2006-04-28, 05:15   Link #15
Sofu
Cheeky Cat

First off, I think that the "WTF factor" is over-stated. Ask yourself how you got into anime.

Sailor Moon? WTF?! Talking cats and monsters and high school girls transforming into skimpy sailor school uniforms and using magical powers to save the earth from some evil queen? Oh, and by the way, they're from the moon from long, long ago. And that's just the first season!

DBZ? WTF?! It's a mish-mash of creatures from prehistoric to future and fantasy to sci-fi, with magic and supernatural powers all rolled into one long running fight sequence (or nearly so). And the main character dies and gets resurrected (not to mention what happens while he's dead). And that's just the first season!

Pokemon? WTF?! Does this show even make sense? You'd be better off starting with Narutaru (aka Shadow Star). At least that show tries to deal with what children might actually do if they were able to control monsters. Have the monsters fight each other in some lame tournament for piddly prizes? I think not!

So I really don't think the "WTF factor" is that big a deal. If they're interested in seeing what anime has to offer, don't discard a good show just because it may seem "radical." Hell, if you think they'd enjoy it, show them Project A-Ko, The Enemy's the Pirates!, Gintama, or some other wacky action/adventure series. Once you get the weird stuff out in the open, everything else will seem tame.

Okay, enough of my stupid rant. Here are some generic suggestions.

Younger boys will like shounen action anime like Naruto and Bleach. Younger girls tend toward shoujo anime. Kinda seems obvious, right? Older people won't be so impressed with the flat characters and general lack of writing in these sorts of shows[1], so you'll want to go with something a little more substantial like Cowboy Bebop, which is character driven, or Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Or Kino's Journeys. Now that's a show with political and social sub-contexts all over the place! Reminds me of Gulliver's Travels.

If your friends have the same sense of humor that you do, then I'd say a comedy is the way to go. Don't choose anything that requires lots of knowledge about anime (like Excel Saga) and/or Japanese culture unless you're willing to explain all the jokes. In my own case, I'd start someone off with Full Metal Panic Fumoffu! or Azumanga Daioh. In point of fact, I've done this, so I know it works for me. I did have to explain some of the cultural references, but there wasn't a lot in either case. I'd also suggest The Melencholy of Haruhi Suzumiya as a current show worthy of sucking in another helpless victim.

If you think mood or atmosphere will draw them in, Haibane Renmei or Gunslinger Girl are two excellent choices, IMO. The former has a very dream-like quality to it while the latter is more depressing. Both have their own stories, of course, but I never felt that the stories were as important as the moods. Or perhaps I should say that the stories were the tools used to convey the moods. Or maybe I'm just being a pretentious fat-ass.

Another place to start is with movies. Movies are short compared to TV series, so the time investment isn't as great. Anything by Studio Ghibli should do nicely. Or if you think they're able to jump right in, start with Ghost in the Shell or Akira. Both are classics. They're also psychological in nature, so be prepared for odd looks from your friends. On the positive side, if they even catch a glimps of a clue about what's going on, they'll want to see them again and again. And for eyecandy (oh wonderful, gorgeous eyecandy), Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust is perfect. The story is okay, but nearly every scene is etched indelibly in my mind because it is all animated so beautifully and fluidly. The only downside to showing this movie is that afterwards, you'll wish everything else were animated so well. For the best results, see it on the biggest screen you can find. In fact, I'm making that a requirement. Bloodlust should not be seen on anything less than 2 feet wide (assuming you're watching it in a room approximately as big as most living rooms).

I know it's already been said, but it bears repeating. Whatever you choose, the primary thing to remember is to choose based on what sorts of things your friends already enjoy. I wouldn't show Kiba to someone who likes romance novels, and I wouldn't show NANA to someone who thinks Vin Deisel is the greatest actor ever. Anime has something to offer just about everyone as long as they can get past the whole thing about it being animated. All you can do is play to their preferences. The rest is up to them.

---
[1] Not to say that necessarily makes them bad shows. There's plenty of fluff I enjoy watching, but I'm not going to pretend that just because I'm watching it, that somehow makes the writing or characters better than cardboard cut-n-pastes.
Old 2006-04-28, 05:52   Link #16
jedinat

Yeah it does really depend on who the person is. And I guess depending on how the show is different than what an anime-newb is used to seeing can actually be an attraction. Like for me, Wolf's Rain was the anime that started me out. And yeah, the characters were wolves, but weren't, and seemed to look human depending on who was looking at them, the mood the wolves were in... or whatever the hell the writers felt like doing at the time. But that strangeness was very interesting to me and is what had me looking online for the rest of the series... and now here I am 200 something anime later.
Closed Thread