AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-03-16, 08:30   Link #1
real folk blues..

Thumbs up what are your superstitions?

i just realised nobody's made this kind of thread yet..and if one has been made and deleted, feel free to delete this one.
anyway, i'm interested to know about what you guys do when you're looking for divine intervention.
myself, playing football, i always tie the shoelaces on my bad foot before putting on my cleats and tying up the shoelaces on my stronger foot. in hopes that i get a good game of course.
and that after exams, i wouldn't talk about how i think the exam went, whether it was hard or easy, in fears that i might jinx it.
anyway, that's my two cents

so i hope this thread will start a discussion not just on what your superstitions are, but the story behind it as well.
1.0.7. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-16, 08:53   Link #2
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Well it might just be a coincidence or not, but I never do anything important on Full moon. I've constantly had bad luck on full moons for a few years now. (Being banned from an official Ragnarok server for nothing, falling down the ceiling, punching a wall and breaking my hand... you name it.)

It's funny because I just love watching the moon for as long as I can. I guess it might be the other way around too

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Zero Shinohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-16, 14:11   Link #3
HoboGod
Necromancer

I don't believe in superstition. It is silly nonsense we tell children to make them behave (not unlike Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny.) But I do tend to blaspheme against superstition/karma in public by blaming all bad luck on "Budda, the Demon King." That tends to raise a few eyebrows. ^_^

EDIT: Fine, I'll word it differently, Thyrz. "I don't believe superstition has truth."

Last edited by HoboGod; 2006-03-16 at 14:36.
HoboGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-16, 14:22   Link #4
Thyrz
Laidback Luke

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboGod
I don't believe in superstition.
Something isn't quite right about this sentence. Superstition is a state of mind, therefor it exists.
If you're not insane, then you say "I'm not insane". you don't say "I don't believe in insanity."
So the correct way to put it is "I am not superstitious."

So uhm, I'm not superstitious. I always found it very illogical to connect the pieces of a broken mirror to a car accident for example.
There's no logical connection.
Old 2006-03-16, 15:00   Link #5
Chichi

It essentially roots to one's sentimentality on life's events, - they being influenced by yourself or the things around you. I'm not particularly superstitious myself but I will admit to walking around the ladder rather than under it on more than one occasion.
Chichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-21, 08:06   Link #6
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
My superstition are that humans are gonna nuke themself for dumb and arrogant reasons such as money and land. ^_^
- Pointing your finger at the moon at night will cause the top of your ear to be cut when you wake up.
-Sitting on a rice bag will make your butt fall off.
-Even if I don't beleive in supersitions, I still won't try any of them.
-I'll be very rich someday ^_^.
-You got only 3 strikes till you get into a car accident, and I had 4 close call last Saturday, 1 was my fault, the other wasn't.
-Good luck for someone else will cause bad luck to another.
-Breaking a mirror, walking under a ladder does absolutely nothing, I hope.
- Every car at night looks like a cop car.

ps: Whether these are plain out crazy or not i'll still not try them unless it's on mistakes. Believe in what you want to, eh?

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-07, 23:52   Link #7
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Interesting thread XD

- Since someone told me that it could cause the opposite effect, I tend to avoid to say "good luck" to a person who is about to pass an exam at school
- I never cut my hair during the waning moon. Anyways, I cut my hair rarely whatsoever . Very long hair ftw.
- If a family buries someone on Sunday, another person from their family will die soon after that.
- If a lot of people hate you, it could cause you misfortune.
- You can chase away the Evil spirit by dropping salt all around your house (I don't really believe in, and i never did it)
- To never put down a baguette (bread) upside down. Could cause money bad luck. (I don't really believe in either, but i never did it XD)
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-08, 00:15   Link #8
Cut-Tongue
ボクサッチ!

I'm not a very supersitious or spiritual person (much the chagrin of my wife who loves little traditions and rituals), but I do always crush eggshells that I throw in the trash. I learned this one out of a book of superstitions that said to do it so the witches can't ride the half eggshells out to sea to drown sailors.

If my wife makes eggs I'll even go in behind her and dig them out of the trash and crush them then throw them back in
Cut-Tongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-08, 00:34   Link #9
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Tongue View Post
If my wife makes eggs I'll even go in behind her and dig them out of the trash and crush them then throw them back in
Cute . And what does she say when you do that?
Old 2008-12-08, 00:40   Link #10
LeoXiao
思想工作

I have little "rituals" that I do (meaning repetition) but I don't attack any meaning to them.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-08, 00:57   Link #11
Cut-Tongue
ボクサッチ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
Cute . And what does she say when you do that?
She smiles and rolls her eyes usually

I poke fun at her about all sorts of her little things, but the only one that really gets in her craw is when I forget and stick my chopsticks in the food instead of laying them across the bowl.
Cut-Tongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-08, 01:12   Link #12
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

I always say I'm going to fail/suck before something like an exam or performance, because saying I'll do fine will make me do bad. Proven too many times xD.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Hari Michiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-08, 02:12   Link #13
Thingle
Banned

I don't believe in superstitions. They're outdated.
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-08, 02:27   Link #14
P.G.
Rated P.G. Superstar

Send a message via MSN to P.G.
here in our place/country, has so many superstitions... actually I feel I don't believe them but I believe them a little bit in some kind of event, I think. err confused.

some superstitions I knew~
- don't clip fingernails in the evening or you will have a fight w/ your parents. (actually I dunno why I can't... after asking them. I said, is that so. o_O)
- dreaming a losing teeth or its pulled out, will make a family member die. (I dreamt one of these(like drowning on a green lake & at the bottom my teeth were breaking while I was chunking on them, weird. don't know if really actually died, can't remember)
- sweeping at night will also sweep away the blessings. (my parents back then really prevents me from sweeping at night back then >.<)
- accidentally dropping your fork on the floor might mean that a male visitor will come by, as for a female visitor it would be a spoon. (lol, everytime 1 of those utensils were drop on the floor, my aunt said "ouh~ may bisita" "Oh~ a visitor will arrive".)
- if a pregnant woman eats a twin banana or so, she will have twins.
- after funeral service do not go home directly so that the spirit of the dead will not follow you to your house. (hmm well after I visit a wake, I just wash my foot or shoes. they said.)

well some/most of them are folklore.~
P.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-08, 02:55   Link #15
Shadow Kira01

Superstitions? I have none.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-08, 04:02   Link #16
Clarste
Human

I'm actually not observant enough to make connections like this. I can't even connect drinking coffee with not being tired; I just forget about past events before I make connections. My brain isn't cut out for superstitions.

Edit: Also, I often forget what I had for dinner so it took me over a decade to realize that whenever I eat ____ I get stomach aches. Incidentally, I forgot what that was, so I'm likely to eat it again.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-08, 04:13   Link #17
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

I have lot of quirky superstitions as the thread ages I will share them all . My first one is Deja Vu. Usually when I get Terrormares I can recollect the scenario before the inevitable . When a similar scenario encounters me in RL I get paranoid . And try to take all steps to avoid the inevitable which never happens
Old 2008-12-08, 06:08   Link #18
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

I used to believe in these stuffs, but as I grew older I no longer believe.

1) Never point directly to the moon, or you will become deaf
2) If you smell jasmine flowers at night, that means there is a ghost next to you
3) Never open up your umbrella in the house or...(I have forgotten about the consequences)
4)If a black cat jumps across a coffin, the corpse will awake.
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-08, 16:42   Link #19
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Tongue View Post
She smiles and rolls her eyes usually

I poke fun at her about all sorts of her little things, but the only one that really gets in her craw is when I forget and stick my chopsticks in the food instead of laying them across the bowl.
Again, that's cute XD

It reminds me my mother, she is strict about laying the table XD. And now, I am strict too .

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.G. View Post
- dreaming a losing teeth or its pulled out, will make a family member die.
I know that one XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinatsu-no-miya View Post
I used to believe in these stuffs, but as I grew older I no longer believe.

3) Never open up your umbrella in the house or...(I have forgotten about the consequences)
I know that one too, and from what I know, it is said that it will cause misfortune to the one who opened it XD
Old 2008-12-08, 18:01   Link #20
greatpower2

I don't really have any superstitions since I don't think they do anything, except for give you happy thoughts that you will do well. But I always go into tests with happy thoughts even though I don't study, and I get good grades (I don't recommend this to anyone here though.)
greatpower2 is offline   Reply With Quote