2 season = 24/26 eps
1 season could also mean 25 episodes, it's not always 12/13 episodes
Old 2012-08-04, 20:01   Link #803
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirX View Post
it is not. A anime season is approximately 3 months. That is why you hear spring, summer, autumn and winter seasons. 12/13 is 1 season, 24/26 is 2 seasons.
Old 2012-08-04, 20:18   Link #804
NoirX
ぼっち
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
it is not. A anime season is approximately 3 months. That is why you hear spring, summer, autumn and winter seasons. 12/13 is 1 season, 24/26 is 2 seasons.
Japan has 4 broadcast seasons , roughly split up into Summer , Fall , Winter and Spring . At the beginning of each season , old series end and new series begin , all within a few weeks of each other . There are approximately 13 weeks in each broadcast season - this is why so many anime series are around 13 to 26 episodes. A 13 episode anime series ran through one full broadcast season and then ended . A 26 episode anime series ran through two seasons and ended . 13 and 26 episodes are because of how the broadcast seasons are scheduled in Japan . Those series that are 50 - 52 episodes are the ones that ran for a full year (4 broadcast seasons) or 52 weeks .

If you look at the real time season, then yes SAO is a 2 seasons anime. But if you look from the anime itself it's 1 season. It all comes down to the anime tittle itself
Old 2012-08-04, 20:28   Link #805
sky black swordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
Well with the episode list out...guessing time I guess.

I'm thinking this season will be 13 episodes so...

Spoiler:

Thoughts?
Hmm this could work however what would need to be cut out for it to fit?
Quote:
Also has there been a confrimation that SAO will have a total of 25 or 26 episode's?
Old 2012-08-04, 20:38   Link #806
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Japan has 4 broadcast seasons , roughly split up into Summer , Fall , Winter and Spring . At the beginning of each season , old series end and new series begin , all within a few weeks of each other . There are approximately 13 weeks in each broadcast season - this is why so many anime series are around 13 to 26 episodes. A 13 episode anime series ran through one full broadcast season and then ended . A 26 episode anime series ran through two seasons and ended . 13 and 26 episodes are because of how the broadcast seasons are scheduled in Japan . Those series that are 50 - 52 episodes are the ones that ran for a full year (4 broadcast seasons) or 52 weeks .

If you look at the real time season, then yes SAO is a 2 seasons anime. But if you look from the anime itself it's 1 season. It all comes down to the anime tittle itself
i am not even sure what you are arguing anymore.

it doesn't matter if the seasons are broken up (Fate/Zero) or continuous (Hyouka). The terminology at least as of now is:

1 season = 12/13 ep
2 season = 24/26 ep
Old 2012-08-04, 20:50   Link #807
NoirX
ぼっち
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky black swordman View Post
Hmm this could work however what would need to be cut out for it to fit?

Also has there been a confrimation that SAO will have a total of 25 or 26 episode's?
It's already been confirmed to be 25 episodes

Quote:
i am not even sure what you are arguing anymore.

it doesn't matter if the seasons are broken up (Fate/Zero) or continuous (Hyouka). The terminology at least as of now is:

1 season = 12/13 ep
2 season = 24/26 ep
Then how do you explain craps like Bleach, Naruto, or One Piece? Because in my knowledge I only know that like Naruto only have 2 seasons while it has hundreds of episodes
Old 2012-08-04, 20:56   Link #808
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Then how do you explain craps like Bleach, Naruto, or One Piece? Because in my knowledge I only know that like Naruto only have 2 seasons while it has hundreds of episodes
You can't compare naruto/bleach/onepiece with other anime. These 3 are basically cash cows for Jump in terms of sale (dvd, manga and etc merchandise). None of the other animes (except Conan, Doremon) can compare.
Old 2012-08-04, 21:16   Link #809
NoirX
ぼっち
*Author

Quote:
You can't compare naruto/bleach/onepiece with other anime. These 3 are basically cash cows for Jump in terms of sale (dvd, manga and etc merchandise). None of the other animes (except Conan, Doremon) can compare.
Fine then, let's use Conan and Doraemon for my earlier question. How do you know their season?
Old 2012-08-04, 21:44   Link #810
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Fine then, let's use Conan and Doraemon for my earlier question. How do you know their season?
Doraemon and Conan is about as mainstream as you can get. It is not even consider to be "Anime" by regular Japanese. Unlike SAO and majority of anime we discuss here in Animesuki which is slot after midnight. Doraemon, Conan and its like are prime time programs. Comparing SAO to Doraemon is like comparing a infomercial to Game of Thrones.
Old 2012-08-04, 21:55   Link #811
styr

"Season" is a very broad phrase and can many different things when talking about anime. Major titles that run nonstop are especially hard to categorize into normal parameters that LN adapted anime series tend to get. these 'adapted series' comprise most of the new series that debut each "season," which occurs every 3 months. some series get adapted from LNs, some from VNs, manga, etc.

For instance, "Season 1" of Hayate was 52 eps. That's 4 cour, or a full year. "Season 2" of Hayate was 26 eps and only ran for half a year. SAO will basically get the same treatment as other series with 26 eps (one recent example being Mirai Nikki) and will run for two "seasons" aka cour in terms of Japanese broadcast standard - starting from early July it will continue until December. If you are referring to the all-encompassing phrase "season #" than that is decided by whoever is in charge of the anime (my guess, no idea who really does decide it).

"season" in terms of 'season # by year' is on an case by case basis between animes. Zero no Tsukaima's "season" only lasted for 1 cour each and had a gap of 2 years between seasons, but Naruto/OnePiece/Doraemon/etc have ran for many many seasons and span hundreds of episodes. 1 cour is the standard length for most series. Popular adaptions will get 2 cours like F/Z, Future Diary, SAO, etc. A recent example of an anime spanning 2 distinct "seasons" each 1 cour in length, is Dog Days/Dog Days` [Dash]

If this SAO adaption only ends up covering the SAO+ALO arc, and they then released GGO+Alicization later on, I would personally call the former "Season 1" and the latter "Season 2".

Last edited by styr; 2012-08-04 at 22:09.
styr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-04, 21:57   Link #812
NoirX
ぼっち
*Author

Quote:
Doraemon and Conan is about as mainstream as you can get. It is not even consider to be "Anime" by regular Japanese. Unlike SAO and majority of anime we discuss here in Animesuki which is slot after midnight. Doraemon, Conan and its like are prime time programs. Comparing SAO to Doraemon is like comparing a infomercial to Game of Thrones.
Digimon Xros Wars(kinda ghey ikr), Pokemon, and Fairy Tail. For DXW it has 79 episodes. As for pokemon every season mostly more than 52 episodes. FT also more than a hundred episode. Can you explain those season readings then? All 3 of them are animes
Old 2012-08-04, 21:59   Link #813
Kazu-kun

Quote:
All 3 of them are animes
And all 3 of them are mainstream. That's a totally different beast compared to late night anime like Sao.
Old 2012-08-04, 22:05   Link #814
NoirX
ぼっち
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
And all 3 of them are mainstream. That's a totally different beast compered to late night anime like Sao.
It doesn't change the fact that it's "anime", even if you said its different categories it should still be considered the same for episodes reading
Old 2012-08-04, 22:14   Link #815
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
It doesn't change the fact that it's "anime", even if you said its different categories it should still be considered the same for episodes reading
they are counted differently because they are funded differently.

anyway your question really belongs in the general Anime section.
Old 2012-08-04, 22:21   Link #816
NoirX
ぼっち
*Author

Quote:
they are counted differently because they are funded differently.

anyway your question really belongs in the general Anime section.
Guess I started to flew off-topic xD

Anyways for now I guess I'll just take styr's season reading until SAO reach episode 12/13
Old 2012-08-05, 02:03   Link #817
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Can we just go by cours in terms of discussing the length of the series? That's the safest and most accurate way to go about it.

And since Lyfa's VA is already announced, that pretty much means that SAO is going to be 2-cour and adapt Fairy Dance. I'll say that they're not going to adapt GGO, because trying to cram GGO as well into a 2-cour series would not only be insanity, it is dumbness due to how the character stories are resolved for each of the VRMMO world.

Not all endings are written equally.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 03:26   Link #818
styr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Can we just go by cours in terms of discussing the length of the series? That's the safest and most accurate way to go about it.

And since Lyfa's VA is already announced, that pretty much means that SAO is going to be 2-cour and adapt Fairy Dance. I'll say that they're not going to adapt GGO, because trying to cram GGO as well into a 2-cour series would not only be insanity, it is dumbness due to how the character stories are resolved for each of the VRMMO world.

Thinking along those same lines, Sinon's va hasn't announced yet either. Although Suguha did have a couple lines in the first ep so perhaps that is why they announced her so early? If the ALO arc is 1 full cour I'll be happy, since that will give them plenty of time to add various subplots from the LN without rushing the main plot. Especially considering how dense the ALO arc is time-wise it should flow much better than Aincrad.

I agree with trying to cram ALO+GGO into 12/13 eps, it is madness. I could see the studio waiting for the author to finish Alicization then doing a 2nd season with GGO+Alice arc. Alternatively, if they went with just GGO arc it could be done in 12 eps easily.
styr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 03:35   Link #819
sky black swordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by styr View Post
If this SAO adaption only ends up covering the SAO+ALO arc, and they then released GGO+Alicization later on, I would personally call the former "Season 1" and the latter "Season 2".
Welll this and this cant happen together because of the length of the Alicization Arc and dont forget vol 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post

Agreed.

Ideed not to mention fans would rave.
Old 2012-08-05, 04:12   Link #820
NoirX
ぼっち
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by styr View Post
Thinking along those same lines, Sinon's va hasn't announced yet either. Although Suguha did have a couple lines in the first ep so perhaps that is why they announced her so early? If the ALO arc is 1 full cour I'll be happy, since that will give them plenty of time to add various subplots from the LN without rushing the main plot. Especially considering how dense the ALO arc is time-wise it should flow much better than Aincrad.
Well Lyfa's anime picture figure is already out though so I'm quite sure ALO arc will be sometime soon