Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-10-19, 19:48   Link #1121
Joojoobees

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
would happen between Tanda and Balsa once she comes back. But i guess in several way it was applied what would eventually happen. The feelings were obvious between both of them.
Maybe, but sometimes people can care a lot for each other, and things don't work out. That can be because someone is afraid of intimacy (cough * Balsa * cough), or because the timing is never right, or whatever.

I hope we get more of this excellent show. I don't care if it takes them 10 years to finish the series, if they keep producing something of that quality, I'll keep watching.
Old 2007-10-19, 20:40   Link #1122
Berserker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Spoiler for ep 26:
I am actually glad about that.

And I can't believe this show is finally over. It was an awesome show. I hope someone rescues the lisence from Geneon, because I want to buy official English DVDs for this show.
Berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-20, 10:31   Link #1123
gaguri

Agree with many people on episode 25, that was underwhelming. And bravo at Chagum choosing to stay and take responsibility as a prince rather than embarking on another adventure with Balsa, that was mature of him.

Spoiler for final thoughts:
gaguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-20, 14:38   Link #1124
holtz11

Finally finished it. Fantastic anime. Probably one of my favorites. Hoping a second season is forthcoming as well. Anyone know a website with sinopsis of the other books in the Moribito series? I was wandering what they were about.
holtz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-20, 19:18   Link #1125
AnimeFangirl

I've been wondering that myself. I doubt Balsa is ever going to settle down with Tanda (he's too boring for her anyway) so I was wondering if she ended up with anybody else. Maybe amazon.co.jp will have something.

I see...volume 3, huh? Spoiler for Yume no Moribito
Spoiler:
...doesn't sound too interesting. Tanda really is a bore.

The blurbs aren't really telling me anything about Balsa's romantic prospects, but I doubt much will be made of the issue. It's a book series for young adults/kids, so stuff like that is always going to take a backseat. I guess the only way to find out is to read them for myself. But 1575 yen a piece? Ouch!

Last edited by AnimeFangirl; 2007-10-20 at 19:48.
AnimeFangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-21, 00:15   Link #1126
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl View Post
I've been wondering that myself. I doubt Balsa is ever going to settle down with Tanda (he's too boring for her anyway) so I was wondering if she ended up with anybody else. Maybe amazon.co.jp will have something.
Actually, you should look into any info regarding the very last book, Ten to Chi no Moribito (Guardian of Heaven and Earth). The third one to be more specific. (Three books make up the whole "Heaven and Earth" arc.) For example, I found this. A few spoilers here and there of course.

I did some digging around, and well, there's something that's not so clear to me, but it concerns something else I read about regarding the events within this book. Unless I get to understand the actual story, I'm not sure what to make of it really.

Last edited by kujoe; 2007-10-22 at 07:58.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-21, 00:32   Link #1127
JerseyDevil
Eating cattle since 1735

Does anyone know of a download out there of all those Balsa sketches shown throughout the anime?
JerseyDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-21, 08:48   Link #1128
Joojoobees

Now that Seirei no Moribito is over, I had to go back and rewatch 12 Kingdoms. I don't know why these kinds of shows (serious without necessarily being dark, rich stories in detailed alternate worlds) are unpopular. It seems that, if 15 anime are released in a season, 10 are going to be lightweight timepasses, and the remaining 5 will be pretentiously dark, without really being serious. We're lucky if there is a decent story in any of them that goes beyond well-known cliches.

I guess we only get lucky every few years. :sigh:
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-21, 09:06   Link #1129
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

A quick search of the Saiunkoku Monogatari thread didn't bring up your name, JJ, so perhaps you missed that one? I suspect you'd like that as well for more or less the same reasons. There's more surface comedy in Saiunkoku, especially in the opening episodes, but once it gets going it's a rather serious and complex story. Like Seirei and Junni Kokki, it has its fantasy side, but it's much more muted in Saiunkoku.

I re-watch Junni Kokki at least once a year, maybe more often. It's on my list once the DVDs come back from my daughter's boyfriend.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-21, 11:48   Link #1130
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Actually, you should look into any info regarding the very last book, Ten to Chi no Moribito (Guardian of Heaven and Earth). The third one to be more specific. (Three books make up the whole "Heaven and Earth" arc). For example, I found this. A few spoilers here and there of course.
Hmm, I see. Guess she didn't find anyone better to replace him after all, though it's annoying that he has to be rescued yet again. Yet more Chagum again? I never did like that kid, though I know it's essentially his story. Oh well, now I know, now I can go on my merry way.
Old 2007-10-21, 12:02   Link #1131
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
A quick search of the Saiunkoku Monogatari thread didn't bring up your name, JJ, so perhaps you missed that one? I suspect you'd like that as well for more or less the same reasons. There's more surface comedy in Saiunkoku, especially in the opening episodes, but once it gets going it's a rather serious and complex story. Like Seirei and Junni Kokki, it has its fantasy side, but it's much more muted in Saiunkoku.
Thanks, Sensei, I'll definitely check it out, as I highly respect your opinion.
Old 2007-10-21, 17:36   Link #1132
baihaki

one of the best series in this year , overall i give 9/10, hope second season
baihaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-22, 01:27   Link #1133
Samanosuke
Genma Killer

what i don't get is
Spoiler for For the rest of the novels ?:
Samanosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 11:03   Link #1134
kauldron26
Med Student

ok... were my expectations for this show waaaaay too high?? did 12 kingdoms raise the bar waaaay too high?? because as much as it hurts to say i am quite disappointed. i was expecting to be blown away, i was expecting layered characters, i was expecting political intrigue, i was expecting action, i was expecting some character growth... i dont know... the anime is very nice to look at and all... but i dont care about the characters or if the country suffers through a drought and doesnt have water *gasp* its not bad... maybe 12 kingdoms was just too good. well im still on ep 19, and i am quite upset because i actually chose not to watch this when it was ongoing, the first ep blew me away to the point that i decided to wait till it was over and then marathon it.

Last edited by kauldron26; 2007-10-23 at 11:26.
kauldron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 17:47   Link #1135
kauldron26
Med Student

wow... that was disappointing... ~sigh~ im surprised so many of y'all liked chagum. somewhere along the line i stopped caring about everything, but tanda and balsa's relationship. i hate being crushed with disappointment. if anything seirei no moribito has numbed my thirst for great anime. how everything led up to them fighting gigantic squids... omg... saddest thing is that they show had so much potential, and moments of greatness. what happened to the philosophical themes about murder?? that did not even play into anything... i was hoping chagum would commit patricide, and contemplate on what it means to take a life. and for fucks sake i hate balsa for not even seeming to pay attention to the one person that has been there for her for 20 yrs. yet she knew chagum for what a year? yet tanda gets no love? ugh... this reminds me of how upset i was after bakumatsu. so much hope, just crushed.

moribito: 7/10

if u want to watch fantasy done well, fantasy as a masterpiece watch 12 kingdoms, 12 kingdoms puts moribito to shame. funny thing is that i wouldnt have been so mad if the first 3 eps werent so good. la lunga turns out to be gigantic squids...

the highlight of the show: "if you cant see me as the cure, then there is not point waiting" every guy that has ever been in love knows exactly what tanda felt at that moment.

now imagine if this was a 13 eps series... just imagine it

Last edited by kauldron26; 2007-10-23 at 18:25.
Old 2007-10-23, 18:17   Link #1136
itis

You do realize that the anime was following very close to the novel, correct? Where would you want them to pull out a "tanda and balsa relationship"? out of their asses? Evidently, since it did not occur in the anime, it did not occur in novel one.

Do you know why this anime was good? It did not follow the conventional theme of "mysterious creatures" "superficial adventure" "ChronicleofNarnia-like retardation" in a fantasy story. It was simple. Therefore, a giant squid was sufficient.

If people are curious if something happens between Balsa and Tanda

Spoiler for balsa and tanda:

Last edited by itis; 2007-10-23 at 18:34.
itis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 18:23   Link #1137
kauldron26
Med Student

dude u cant rip on narnia which is a cornerstone for 99% of fantasy today and an echelon of english literature, published in over 400 languages. its like ripping on oliver twist for lack of character growth. but to each his own
Old 2007-10-23, 18:33   Link #1138
itis

Fantasy is how far you can push the traditional theme. If it wasn't a alternate universe inside a closet, it was definately the talking Lion. I agree Chronicle of Narnia was a cornerstone for 99 % of fantasy today. However, and most importantly, it was still retarded.
itis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 20:02   Link #1139
kauldron26
Med Student

hey can u go into some detail about tanda and balsa in the books? much appreciated.
Old 2007-10-23, 20:48   Link #1140
Teletha

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauldron26 View Post
wow... that was disappointing... ~sigh~ im surprised so many of y'all liked chagum. somewhere along the line i stopped caring about everything, but tanda and balsa's relationship. i hate being crushed with disappointment. if anything seirei no moribito has numbed my thirst for great anime. how everything led up to them fighting gigantic squids... omg... saddest thing is that they show had so much potential, and moments of greatness. what happened to the philosophical themes about murder?? that did not even play into anything... i was hoping chagum would commit patricide, and contemplate on what it means to take a life. and for fucks sake i hate balsa for not even seeming to pay attention to the one person that has been there for her for 20 yrs. yet she knew chagum for what a year? yet tanda gets no love? ugh... this reminds me of how upset i was after bakumatsu. so much hope, just crushed.

moribito: 7/10

if u want to watch fantasy done well, fantasy as a masterpiece watch 12 kingdoms, 12 kingdoms puts moribito to shame. funny thing is that i wouldnt have been so mad if the first 3 eps werent so good. la lunga turns out to be gigantic squids...

the highlight of the show: "if you cant see me as the cure, then there is not point waiting" every guy that has ever been in love knows exactly what tanda felt at that moment.

now imagine if this was a 13 eps series... just imagine it
Chagum was a helpless child she grew to love like her own. Tanda was a friend she's known forever. It's not that she didn't love Tanda at all. It's just that she didn't know how to answer his questions about their future. You could see how much she was concerned over him when he was injured (and see that she was thinking about him even at the end). I also don't see why anyone would dislike Chagum. When you consider his age, that he was a freakin prince and what he had to go through and how he was able to an adult and pretty much accepting and calm throughout all 24 episodes... is a miracle to me. The only thing I might say about Chagum is I even think his maturity at times might have been a bit unrealistic. No whining, crying and why meee? thoughout most of the anime at all. Chagum seemed to respect everyone around him and grow to be a better person. I really liked him and usually hate children characters.

I have also seen 12 kingdoms and like it, but I also like Seirei no Morbito. In no way did it put anything to shame. Different stories.
Teletha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, fantasy, historical, production i.g.