Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-03-05, 18:22   Link #61
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Eh, I wouldn't base it on the post count here. most of the review seem fair with the only complaint being a somewhat oddly paced storyline (in terms of her evolution into a mobile slaughter factory). It looks picturesque and entertaining in terms of POV scroll (mostly linear zones with some side routes) puzzle solving and combat.

I just am not currently leaning to paying full price they want for it.
Got a point there, probably I'll buy this 2nd hand.
Old 2013-03-05, 22:19   Link #62
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

So far, I'm at the tutorial. I'm finding this to be a pretty smooth game, all in all. Though it looks like I do need a new graphics card - my GTX460 doesn't seem capable of hacking it anymore, lol. well, it cost me RM760 two years ago, so that's only RM28.50 per month, I can deal with that.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-05, 23:05   Link #63
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoEnderZOE2 View Post
Hey hey guys I think we're forgetting about what makes a Tomb Raider game so entertaining, and that's the various ways Lara can die.

C'mon let's not pretend that we used to occasionally make Lara take a dive off a high ledge and make her snap her neck upon impact, or purposely allow her to get eaten by a shack, Dinosaur, or turned into solid gold.

Let's discuss SOME of the unique ways she can die outside of the just fall down dead animation. I say some because I do want to see most of them for myself and I won't be getting my copy of the game until tomorrow.

^_^
well... you'll enjoy this then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...6z-NBLB3KJmtns
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-05, 23:23   Link #64
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
MP likes to crash a lot, at least on my PS3. Other than deathmatch, you can hardly get into other modes, just not enough players. Bottom line is, this game shouldn't have included such a tacky MP just for the sake of it.
Old 2013-03-06, 11:06   Link #65
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuno View Post
MP likes to crash a lot, at least on my PS3. Other than deathmatch, you can hardly get into other modes, just not enough players. Bottom line is, this game shouldn't have included such a tacky MP just for the sake of it.
MP, unfortunately, is the driving force in games right now. If you don't have an MP mode, you don't have a game... even if the game is one like Tomb Raider or AC where the entire point of the game is the SP campaign.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-06, 12:39   Link #66
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
MP, unfortunately, is the driving force in games right now. If you don't have an MP mode, you don't have a game... even if the game is one like Tomb Raider or AC where the entire point of the game is the SP campaign.
Which is pretty sad tbh. It's the same for Spec Ops: The Line too, the MP is utterly pointless and disconnected from the main game, and was slapped on only at the behest of the publisher for the sake of having MP.

Imagine if we had to play, say, Xenogears with multiplayer...
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-06, 13:07   Link #67
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
It seems kind of hilariously inept. The games I *want* to have LAN play (or MP) usually don't. And the games where it makes no sense at all are bolting it on badly.
Old 2013-03-06, 21:41   Link #68
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I'm at the gate. I accidentally discovered the first dlc Tomb of the Adventurer while looking for salvage to upgrade my pry axe.

There is major bad juju on this island. It's actually a bit creepier than Rook Island (where I kept going, "Oh this is totally Telupid, those houses are from Batu 4, that housing block in South Island looks just like the teachers' quarters at SMK Telupid, this is TOTALLY the road to Entilibon... yeah, I grew up in a tropical jungle village-town in the middle of nowhere, up on a mountain range). Probably because Rook Island had more sunlight. I'm pretty sure there's a cult on this place, and that things are going to get really bad for Lara.

Also, she really should have bled out before the tutorial was over, but that wouldn't make for a good story

I believe in miracles.

Old 2013-03-06, 23:22   Link #69
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Also, she really should have bled out before the tutorial was over, but that wouldn't make for a good story
It WOULD be very unique...

I haven't played the game yet, but the preview materials on GameSpot talked about her suffering some grievous injury that should've killed her right quick, but she manages to self-treat and still be a badass for the rest of the game.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-06, 23:35   Link #70
Dauerlutscher
Marauder Shields

well, if you want it realistic, every hero in a game would die the moment a bullet hits him...
in the end it's still a game and not a real life simulator and i'm glad for that...
Dauerlutscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-07, 04:07   Link #71
Sagi

This is my first Tomb Raider game that I played and so far its been good.
My only complain is that there are too many quick time events.
Sagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-07, 04:43   Link #72
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagi View Post
This is my first Tomb Raider game that I played and so far its been good.
My only complain is that there are too many quick time events.
They never go completely away, but do become more and more sparse the further along you get.

Spoiler for Spoilers if you haven't reached one-half to three-quarters of the way through yet.:

Anyways, think I'm almost done, if my collectibles percent is anything to go by. Another two nights hasn't changed my opinion from the first hour and a half. Really pulled a batman on us, with a great origin story to start off the reboot. Hopefully Crystal Dynamics makes enough off this that they're able to continue the series.

Quote:
It WOULD be very unique...

I haven't played the game yet, but the preview materials on GameSpot talked about her suffering some grievous injury that should've killed her right quick, but she manages to self-treat and still be a badass for the rest of the game.
Slight correction. She doesn't treat that wound 'till roughly a little more than halfway through the game. So, she's a badass, despite that wound, for a good part of the story. Heh.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-07, 05:04   Link #73
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauerlutscher View Post
well, if you want it realistic, every hero in a game would die the moment a bullet hits him...
in the end it's still a game and not a real life simulator and i'm glad for that...
Well, not quite - it would depend on various factors, not least is where they're hit and what kind of bullet they were hit with.

During the 80s and early 90s in America, there were two major schools of thought in law enforcement. One school was a proponent of the big round theory, the idea being that you needed a massive round like .357 Magnum, 10mm Auto, or .45 ACP to secure a kill. The other was the shot placement school, which held that it didn't matter if you carried a weaker gun like a 9mm or a .38 Special, so long as you hit the target in a vital point. The debate ranged long and bitter over this subject.

The Modern Technique, as codified by Colonel Jeff Cooper, states that you need both: a large round does no good if it does not hit a vital point, and a weak round that is perfectly placed may not have enough stopping power to stop someone (as opposed to killing them gradually). Refer to the Miami Massacre, where two bank robbers were shot and managed to hold on for a while, killing a large number of FBI agents in the process. Of course, with improvements in firearms and ammunition, modern 9mm +P ammunition is usually sufficient...

... sorry. tl;dr, it's possible to survive a single gunshot, depending on shot placement and the round. Hence why Columbus advises to double-tap, and while the Mozambique Drill exists (two rounds to the chest, one round to the head if the target doesn't go down).

And this isn't getting into the messy subject of body armor, of course, but I think we've gone far enough away from the topic.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2013-03-07, 07:45   Link #74
Helius

What do you think about TressFX? I appreciate effort and it definitely looks better than the normal mode, but it's still a bit jarring for me. Maybe I'm just not yet used to seeing hair flow like that in a game...

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Slight correction. She doesn't treat that wound 'till roughly a little more than halfway through the game. So, she's a badass, despite that wound, for a good part of the story. Heh.
With an impalement like that and all that running around, she should've bled buckets by that point.
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-07, 16:35   Link #75
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Can we say septic infection?
Old 2013-03-08, 01:06   Link #76
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helius View Post
What do you think about TressFX? I appreciate effort and it definitely looks better than the normal mode, but it's still a bit jarring for me. Maybe I'm just not yet used to seeing hair flow like that in a game...
It has its good and bad moments. Mostly good. The bad moments are when the hair physics cause it to spray out in all directions, becoming-for a second or two-a 360 degree ball of "spikes", though I guess that's no different than real life?

It definitely makes normal video game hair suddenly seem last decade, and I hope to see hair done like this become mainstream, though I do hope it becomes more optimized with time (oh who am I kidding, next time I upgrade my PC it'll laugh at it), as I've turned it off for a few of the very "busy" cinematic/action scenes with QTEs due to slight "lag" and fps drops causing me to fail the QTEs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Can we say septic infection?
Especially after this:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Anyways, finished (story at least; still have a bit if I want to go back for 100% item collection). Best game I've played this year, though admittedly we've still got a ways to go 'till the year is over.

Now, off to download the ME 3 Citadel DLC. It appears to be the first ME 3 DLC that's receiving rave reviews.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 03:21   Link #77
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

PLus there's no way for her to be running about after getting her foot in a bear trap.

Also, I found the Tomb of Unknown Sadness (sp?) right after I got Roth's climbing axe... and it turns out that according to Walkthroughs, I actually entered it from the EXIT, meaning I'm on the wrong side of the tomb. Lawl.

Surprisingly the bow is quite fun. Interesting to have, it is. Hope there are more and better weapons awaiting me...

I believe in miracles.

Old 2013-03-08, 07:26   Link #78
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
Or perhaps those long BOOTS she was wearing was just tough enough that they were able to prevent the blades of the possibly rusty bear trap that was clamping to them thus making her only feel the pressure of the trap and not the sharp blades attached to them?

Seriously people don't ask too many questions in games like this, total realism in video games are overrated and the minute you start questioning things too much the minute you start to lose joy in the entertainment.

Now for my impressions of the game, I haven't beaten it yet but I must say, THIS IS HOW YOU DO A PROPER REBOOT!!!
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment
DingoEnderZOE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 07:47   Link #79
Skane
Anime Snark

I keep dying... and feel terrible about it. Holy crapomoly... the sheer amount of QTEs. Probably shouldn't be playing while having a fever... This is the first Tomb Raider I am playing, never really got into the originals, because I felt it was too over-sexualised.

Old 2013-03-08, 07:50   Link #80
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Dingo, no.. this is how you get a good company to do a reboot. Still don't like lara tho, never did. So this is the story before she became a bitch? lol

Wow, pretty sad that ARMA 3's ALPHA! is beating Tomb Raider is steam sells, proooob because ARMA 3 is PC only and Tomb Raider is 360PSC

Last edited by Kyero Fox; 2013-03-08 at 12:14.
Kyero Fox is offline   Reply With Quote