AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2011-07-28, 04:10   Link #8301
Mentar
Banned

Okay - I'll probably be flogged for that, but for me, c144 makes me feel nostalgic. It feels oh so much like what I felt and thought myself in former times. So, taking my own life experience as reference, it feels very realistic, particularly Asuka's emphasis on "did anything ever matter?"

When my first steady girlfriend and me broke up, it mirrored the Asuka side alot. You fall out of love without noticing, and then something happens to put the truth out in the open. The initial reaction is shock and pain, but once you calm down again, you realize that deep down, you already noticed that things had changed. And then - at least in my case - you wonder "was that all it was? Did it actually matter at all, or was it just BS?"

So, in an eerie way, I can see exactly where she's coming from. And likewise, I can also understand why she's able to step back relatively quickly without huge heartbreak. If after a year you didn't get any step past the cuddling and kissing stage, it's not exactly burning desire in the first place.

Not for the first time, I feel that Seo is interviewing people for his stories. "When you broke up, what happened? How did you do it? How did you feel, what did you think?" And then, he's using that to put this into his stories, no matter whether or not it fits the "narrative flow". In Seo stories, I have these strange "flashbacks" quite often, compared to stuff like GE or Ichigo 100%, where the developments are much more convenient and fit the flow better, but also feel very artificial and non-realistic to me.

In Seo-stories, things happen which happen in real life, and how they happen in real life. Life isn't fair. Misbehaving selfish bitches (think Suzuka) don't get their just comeuppance. Wonderful altruistic saints (think Honoka) don't get properly rewarded. That's how RL often works, aswell. Life isn't a manga. I think this is a main reason why people tend to get angry at Seo's works very quickly - there's an innate expectation from the reader that the good deserve to win, and that the bad deserve to lose. And when that expectation is betrayed, people get annoyed.

Anyway, this is my conclusion I've come to after a lot of discussions, everybody feel free to disagree. Life ain't fair. People act seemingly irrationally, but that's how things are. They aren't usually malicious or stupid, but rather selfish and maybe a bit uncaring and insensitive. That's all.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-28, 05:00   Link #8302
night train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post

In Seo-stories, things happen which happen in real life, and how they happen in real life. Life isn't fair. Misbehaving selfish bitches (think Suzuka) don't get their just comeuppance. Wonderful altruistic saints (think Honoka) don't get properly rewarded. That's how RL often works, aswell. Life isn't a manga. I think this is a main reason why people tend to get angry at Seo's works very quickly - there's an innate expectation from the reader that the good deserve to win, and that the bad deserve to lose. And when that expectation is betrayed, people get annoyed.

Anyway, this is my conclusion I've come to after a lot of discussions, everybody feel free to disagree. Life ain't fair. People act seemingly irrationally, but that's how things are. They aren't usually malicious or stupid, but rather selfish and maybe a bit uncaring and insensitive. That's all.
I agree with your post 100%
What you stated was the exactly same reason I jumped into the flame. Before this arc, I was content being a lurker. What changed was this arc was hitting a little too close to home for my comfort. I didn't care if I was labeled as a troll or a fool raging over manga because it mirrored certain aspects of my life. So much so that it compelled me to post walls of texts responding to illogical posts ad nausem. All because I just want people to see the reasoning from the other side. It may be for nought, but I wanted to get my point across. (Sadly, it was indeed to no avail .)
BTW, Honoka FTW!

Last edited by night train; 2011-07-28 at 05:24. Reason: Cleaning
night train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-28, 05:14   Link #8303
Merilyn Mensola
I am a Boxer

Quote:
Okay - I'll probably be flogged for that, but for me, c144 makes me feel nostalgic. It feels oh so much like what I felt and thought myself in former times. So, taking my own life experience as reference, it feels very realistic, particularly Asuka's emphasis on "did anything ever matter?"

When my first steady girlfriend and me broke up, it mirrored the Asuka side alot. You fall out of love without noticing, and then something happens to put the truth out in the open. The initial reaction is shock and pain, but once you calm down again, you realize that deep down, you already noticed that things had changed. And then - at least in my case - you wonder "was that all it was? Did it actually matter at all, or was it just BS?"

So, in an eerie way, I can see exactly where she's coming from. And likewise, I can also understand why she's able to step back relatively quickly without huge heartbreak. If after a year you didn't get any step past the cuddling and kissing stage, it's not exactly burning desire in the first place.

Not for the first time, I feel that Seo is interviewing people for his stories. "When you broke up, what happened? How did you do it? How did you feel, what did you think?" And then, he's using that to put this into his stories, no matter whether or not it fits the "narrative flow". In Seo stories, I have these strange "flashbacks" quite often, compared to stuff like GE or Ichigo 100%, where the developments are much more convenient and fit the flow better, but also feel very artificial and non-realistic to me.

This, is a nice post..you, tell the true...manga isn't a real life..this is probably, because more people are angry..including myself..i read (romance,shoujo,drama) because my girlfriend like a read tighter.I would like this, if they were written more really ..
Merilyn Mensola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-28, 05:33   Link #8304
Saber024

Quote:

great post.
i noticed how there are more "wtf" moments in KNIM than in GE or Ichigo 100% (haven't read Suzuka yet) maybe Seo puts in more dramatic, emo moments based on real life in KNIM, which in turn either rages/raves us depending on how we see the events.
Saber024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-28, 08:34   Link #8305
DanielSong39

Horrible turn of events and the flames are well deserved.

Dropped.
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-28, 09:55   Link #8306
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Finally, closure jeeezzz... now lets see if his stupid "Friends" can make an inkling of an attempt to patch things up.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-28, 13:45   Link #8307
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
It'd be nice if Haruto actually saw his friends turning on him as some sort of punishment, but his ego won't allow it. Heck, I'm sure a big part of him thinks he's right and his friends are wrong.
Actually he is right and they are wrong. The wrong is trying to push a relationship that you have no strong feelings to and instead end up ruining your both lives for good.

Believe me this is where he was right and his friends were wrong.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-28, 14:10   Link #8308
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Actually he is right and they are wrong. The wrong is trying to push a relationship that you have no strong feelings to and instead end up ruining your both lives for good.

Believe me this is where he was right and his friends were wrong.
In a sense, I do agree with your assessments, would of prefer if Seo has written it in different way, like how they're tired of his antics and treatments. o well
Old 2011-07-28, 15:02   Link #8309
Shinn Kamiyra
Enthralled by music

I'm just glad that this whole issue with Asuka has finally been sorted out and Haruto can move on from it. It would've been really annoying if that had weighed on his mind as he moves on with Yuzuki, IMO.

Still, what exactly are we to look forward to now that Haruto and Yuzuki have finally gotten back together? That's pretty much been the focus of this manga since the beginning, so can we say that we've begun the march towards the end?

I suppose we'll have to wait and see what new developments arise when Haruto moves into his new place. So long as he doesn't fall into yet another awkward situation with a new girl, I'll be content.
Shinn Kamiyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-28, 16:34   Link #8310
AcroDave
Go Chrome or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinn Kamiyra View Post
I'm just glad that this whole issue with Asuka has finally been sorted out and Haruto can move on from it. It would've been really annoying if that had weighed on his mind as he moves on with Yuzuki, IMO.
Eh, I think it was wrapped up wayyyy too easily, but whatever. At least with this, Asuka will finally go away. I didn't really get the impression it was weighing on Haruto's mind AT ALL, but I wouldn't mind seeing him constantly tormented by Asuka's presence.

Quote:
Still, what exactly are we to look forward to now that Haruto and Yuzuki have finally gotten back together? That's pretty much been the focus of this manga since the beginning, so can we say that we've begun the march towards the end?
Actually this is what I think is wrong with 90% of romance stories. The story just ENDS when the couple gets together. Like somehow once you've agreed to be a couple, everything is magically sunshine and rainbows. This is one of the reasons I really like Suzuka, since they got together around 30% of the way through the story, and that's when the drama really got going!

So I'm looking forward to seeing what Seo does now.
AcroDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-28, 16:48   Link #8311
Shinn Kamiyra
Enthralled by music

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroDave View Post
Eh, I think it was wrapped up wayyyy too easily, but whatever. At least with this, Asuka will finally go away. I didn't really get the impression it was weighing on Haruto's mind AT ALL, but I wouldn't mind seeing him constantly tormented by Asuka's presence.
True enough, it didn't really seem to be weighing on Haruto's mind as any kind of a burden with respect to his relationship with Yuzuki. Still, leaving things unresolved as they were might serve for trouble down the road; in a way not so different as what happened when Haruto went after Yuzuki when she left him with so many unanswered questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroDave
Actually this is what I think is wrong with 90% of romance stories. The story just ENDS when the couple gets together. Like somehow once you've agreed to be a couple, everything is magically sunshine and rainbows. This is one of the reasons I really like Suzuka, since they got together around 30% of the way through the story, and that's when the drama really got going!

So I'm looking forward to seeing what Seo does now.
Can't argue with you there, though to be fair we've already seen a lot of drama happen between Haruto and Yuzuki.

That aside however, bringing our couple into new drama so soon after they've just gotten back together might feel a little bland, especially with everything Haruto's just had to go through with Asuka and his friends. I wonder if we might be looking at a possible time skip...?
Shinn Kamiyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-28, 18:29   Link #8312
cmgmcmg
Friendly friend

Quote:
I wonder if we might be looking at a possible time skip...?
Another one? One without any development relationship wise in one manga is enough for me. Seriously, that was probably one of the most unrealistic things yet... Another time skip would only add to the unrealistic plot so far

You think you can swing the bat? Show your bling and let me shine you!

Let's Dance!" - Dimitri
cmgmcmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-28, 18:41   Link #8313
Khalan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merilyn Mensola View Post
Why Asuka forgive Haruto so easy?
Asuka is right, when she said, " I was just in replacement"..i can't believe she forgive Haruto..,because he said, i really loved you more than any other..... Not development between the two, in their time together.....there was more development between him and Eba, in this short time....
She can forgive him because she knew she was a replacement from the start. She watched him fight their dying friend for Eba even when Eba told him he had no chance. She didn't win him from Eba she immediately stepped into a vacuum left by her. The time from Eba saying "maybe" they shouldn't see each other to Asuka confessing to him was 1 chapter (101-102)! Even then she had to work on him a bit and basically say she would leave too before she coaxed him into dating her.

Given their start and general lack of closeness she knew something was wrong. She was already worried about losing him because she was forgiving him for anything. They didn't have a physical connection even after two years living next door and having the run of two apartments. They even spent the night in a love hotel and nothing happened.. after two years.. nothing happened. He wouldn't even take a shower with her. Not normal for someone you love or are even attracted to in that way.

Even without Eba she was losing him thus the plan for the trip. Asuka was desperately in love with him and he tried to love her in that way but she became a little sister as far as he was concerned. Does he love her? Yes, but not in that way. She is forgiving because she understands she can't hold onto something she never had.
Khalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-28, 19:16   Link #8314
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:

MAN !

So true.

I remember when so many people raged when Suzuka got .... in University and had to ... along with the protag.

The protag having to face her parents was.... so RL !

That was so unusual for a manga for many readers and many I know were unhappy... why'd this have to happen to the "heroine" !

But RL events make Manga Heroines so much better IMHO.
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-28, 19:25   Link #8315
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalan View Post
She can forgive him because she knew she was a replacement from the start. She watched him fight their dying friend for Eba even when Eba told him he had no chance. She didn't win him from Eba she immediately stepped into a vacuum left by her. The time from Eba saying "maybe" they shouldn't see each other to Asuka confessing to him was 1 chapter (101-102)! Even then she had to work on him a bit and basically say she would leave too before she coaxed him into dating her.

Given their start and general lack of closeness she knew something was wrong. She was already worried about losing him because she was forgiving him for anything. They didn't have a physical connection even after two years living next door and having the run of two apartments. They even spent the night in a love hotel and nothing happened.. after two years.. nothing happened. He wouldn't even take a shower with her. Not normal for someone you love or are even attracted to in that way.

Even without Eba she was losing him thus the plan for the trip. Asuka was desperately in love with him and he tried to love her in that way but she became a little sister as far as he was concerned. Does he love her? Yes, but not in that way. She is forgiving because she understands she can't hold onto something she never had.
Perfectly said.

You know... after a breakup/rejection people are vulnerable and often jump into new relationships quickly to forget a the pain of the past one.

When Asuka gave that ultimatum, she knew what she was doing and drove the protag into a corner. He was fearful, lonely, his ego bruised and her is this hot girl saying "date me or forget me" .... what is he gonna do.

Asuka did what many people do... catch a lover on the rebound.

But relationships built on the rebound rarely work long term when it turns out that what the two people want are extremely different and irreconcilable.
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-28, 19:54   Link #8316
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Quote:

I just can't take it that way.

It's just really, really, really hard for me to just go 'yeah that shit totally happens in real life, it happening in a manga makes total sense!' There are too many times where I sit there and point the finger at Seo instead of directly trying to comprehend the character.

I mean we were calling Eba and Haruto as a couple getting back together the moment they broke up, and while that happens in real life, the way it happened here still reeks of Seo being a schmuck. Retardedly convenient. Two years

For example, I refuse to believe that all their friends would have a literal vendetta against the two of them now. I don't think that fits in to their characters / personality at all. It makes for something to talk about, and perhaps a little more enticing (in a way) but it doesn't sit well with me.

I'm not dismissing what you're getting out of KNIM mind you, but I just disagree with the whole 'its realistic' explanation.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-28, 21:01   Link #8317
Saber024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
I just can't take it that way.

It's just really, really, really hard for me to just go 'yeah that shit totally happens in real life, it happening in a manga makes total sense!' There are too many times where I sit there and point the finger at Seo instead of directly trying to comprehend the character.

I mean we were calling Eba and Haruto as a couple getting back together the moment they broke up, and while that happens in real life, the way it happened here still reeks of Seo being a schmuck. Retardedly convenient. Two years

For example, I refuse to believe that all their friends would have a literal vendetta against the two of them now. I don't think that fits in to their characters / personality at all. It makes for something to talk about, and perhaps a little more enticing (in a way) but it doesn't sit well with me.

I'm not dismissing what you're getting out of KNIM mind you, but I just disagree with the whole 'its realistic' explanation.
you have a point. "Realistic" is also subjective to one's own perception and life experiences. what's "real" to me isn't necessarily "real" to you as well.

I'm talking about "Realistic" situations btw.
Saber024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-28, 23:21   Link #8318
Khalan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post

Well I can't say whether it's that realistic or not but I agree that the 'friend' reaction makes little sense.

You know my one sticking point on that is I can't remember any of them having contact with Eba after she 'dumped' Haruto yet when she returns after two years they were immediately the best of friends with her again. It should appear to them that she dumped Haruto in an even worse manner than he left Asuka due to Nanami knowing the contents of the note. Even if he told them he was okay with Eba now wouldn't his 'best' friends still be a little cool to her upon first contact?

He even asks Akari straight up in Ch 132 what she thinks of Eba and she tells him something to the effect that it was "his mess" and "had nothing to do with her". Really? Really? This is a person who is going to threaten to stop being friends when he dumps Asuka? Doesn't sound like much of a friend to lose. I can see he should feel bad about having hurt Asuka but I'd tell my 'best' friends where they could stick their opinions.

In general I thought the manga was decent but I don't blame anyone for having problems accepting BS like this.
Khalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-29, 03:57   Link #8319
Merilyn Mensola
I am a Boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalan View Post

How is it possible that nothing has happened? after two years?the arc of Asuka,is written bad,and without any logic...it is better that the author did Haruto feel alone, for these two years..,was much more logical, that after he met Eba again.and the two go out together again...and sorry,you can't so easily forgive a person who replaces you for another...for two years..is better not talk to him more, and forget everything about this person (this is my personal opinion)
Merilyn Mensola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-29, 09:47   Link #8320
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merilyn Mensola View Post
How is it possible that nothing has happened? after two years?the arc of Asuka,is written bad,and without any logic...
You answered your own question. It's because those two years were badly written + the really unnecessary timeskip that nothing happened. Or else there would have been at least a sidenote or a short remark by someone in the manga

@incoming drama: Even though I have stopped reading KNIM since Shiori's introduction, more drama isn't needed for the time being. They have gotten back together? Good, how about a few chapters to enforce this aspect? After that, there's still time for drama-fail or other stuff. Eba's family, throwing Rin in front of a truck, Tôkyô arc v2 in another city with another acquaintance of Yuzuki or how about a bit information about Child-Yuzuki and Hehruto's first meeting during that festival. Seo could always link it with some "importance" or meaning used in the future.
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a town where you rage, adult romance, drama, ecchi, logic doesn't apply, manga, nice christmas gift seo, power ups, romance, seo kouji, shounen, slice of life