AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2015-04-14, 12:45   Link #1
Kid Ryan
Playful Explorer

Question Ethernet/Wi-Fi Problem?

Does anyone here know why our desktop PC loses internet connection when I plug the ethernet cable into our Xfinity Wireless Gateway?

The Wi-Fi does work, and when the Comcast technician connected his laptop to our internet via ethernet, he got impressive speeds.

System Info:
PC Model: HP 110-326 Desktop
CPU: Intel Pentium G2030T @ 2.60 GHz
RAM: 4.0 GB
Video: Intel HD Graphics
HDD: 500 GB

Last edited by Kid Ryan; 2015-04-14 at 22:45.
Kid Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-14, 12:57   Link #2
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddler Naruto View Post
Does anyone here know why our PC loses internet connection when I plug the ethernet cable into our Xfinity Wireless Gateway?

The Wi-Fi does work, and when the Comcast technician connected his laptop to our internet via ethernet, he got impressive speeds.

System Info:
PC Model: HP 110-326 Desktop
CPU: Intel Pentium G2030T @ 2.60 GHz
RAM: 4.0 GB
Video: Intel HD Graphics
HDD: 500 GB
If WIfi for your laptop works (which is my understanding from your post), it means theres something wrong with your ethernet adapter.

First connect up your wifi only. then press windows key + r, input 'cmd' without the quotes and press enter.
This brings up console window.
in side the console window enter the following command:
ipconfig /all

Copy paste the results in this thread. Next disconnect your wifi, plug in your ethernet cable. Then do:
ipconfig /all
again. And copy paste results again.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-14, 22:16   Link #3
Kid Ryan
Playful Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
If WIfi for your laptop works (which is my understanding from your post), it means theres something wrong with your ethernet adapter.

First connect up your wifi only. then press windows key + r, input 'cmd' without the quotes and press enter.
This brings up console window.
in side the console window enter the following command:
ipconfig /all

Copy paste the results in this thread. Next disconnect your wifi, plug in your ethernet cable. Then do:
ipconfig /all
again. And copy paste results again.
I don't have a laptop. I'm on the HP 110-326 desktop via our Wi-Fi connection.
Old 2015-04-15, 07:43   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Did you disconnect from the wifi before connecting the Ethernet cable? Having both connections active can lead to routing problems. It's pretty much an either/or situation.

Does the LED on the Ethernet jack light up when you connect the cable? Is it lit on both ends? Are you sure you're not using a "crossover" Ethernet cable (unlikely, but let's eliminate all the possibilities)?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-17, 13:17   Link #5
Kid Ryan
Playful Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Did you disconnect from the wifi before connecting the Ethernet cable? Having both connections active can lead to routing problems. It's pretty much an either/or situation.

Does the LED on the Ethernet jack light up when you connect the cable? Is it lit on both ends? Are you sure you're not using a "crossover" Ethernet cable (unlikely, but let's eliminate all the possibilities)?
I disconnected the Wifi first, but our ethernet connection still keeps switching between Connected and offline when I plug the ethernet cable into our modem/router combo.
Old 2015-04-17, 15:33   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Did you try all the jacks on the router? A different Ethernet cable? What about the lights? Otherwise it sounds like a hardware problem. If it doesn't work with any of the jacks, and you've tried multiple cables, then the computer's Ethernet adapter might be at fault. That's pretty rare though. You might try installing a separate adapter.

For the adventuresome, try booting off a Linux CD/DVD and see if it works with the cable. I suggest Knoppix or Ubuntu.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-20, 16:11   Link #7
Kid Ryan
Playful Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Did you try all the jacks on the router? A different Ethernet cable? What about the lights? Otherwise it sounds like a hardware problem. If it doesn't work with any of the jacks, and you've tried multiple cables, then the computer's Ethernet adapter might be at fault. That's pretty rare though. You might try installing a separate adapter.

For the adventuresome, try booting off a Linux CD/DVD and see if it works with the cable. I suggest Knoppix or Ubuntu.
All I know is that when I plug the ethernet cable into our modem + router combo device, my ethernet connection still keeps switching between "Connected" and "Unplugged Cable".

It can't be the ethernet cable though, since my PS3 accepts it just fine, and I did disable the wi-fi connection first.
Old 2015-04-20, 20:50   Link #8
larethian

Quote:
All I know is that when I plug the ethernet cable into our modem + router combo device, my ethernet connection still keeps switching between "Connected" and "Unplugged Cable".

It can't be the ethernet cable though, since my PS3 accepts it just fine, and I did disable the wi-fi connection first.
I merely typo-ed desktop to laptop. Wanted to help but you didn't copy and paste your "ipconfig /all" for both network interfaces as per my recommendations in my first reply. That's the first diagnostic info needed. Want to see your LAN setup, and that Ethernet is getting IP correctly. If ethernet keeps discon and recon, keep spamming ipconfig /all and copy the results for both connected and disconnected state.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-21, 01:45   Link #9
dragon1412

Quote:

1 problem i can see is that your plugged hole is too old and the receptors didn't work as it should, thus the receptors might be gone on and off. you should try Ipconfig like Larethian said, it might gave us the reason why you have that problem.
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-21, 03:08   Link #10
Kid Ryan
Playful Explorer

I went ahead and bought an USB 2.0 Wired Ethernet Network adapter, so far it's working perfectly. Heck, my connection actually improved from 6 mBps to 8 mBps after I switched from wi-fi to ethernet.

I would still like to fix the PC's built-in Ethernet Network Adapter though, so I don't have to rely on the USB Adapter.