Spoiler for Chap 117 AND BEYOND!:
crossguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-24, 00:08   Link #2086
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
Spoiler for response:

That's totally not what I had in mind, I swear!

But... it seems like a valid strategy
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-24, 02:36   Link #2087
MAX_COLA_POWER!

If Shizuku jumps off a cliff into the ocean, Nagi will use his DG powers to transform into a super saiyan, rescue her, fly off, and then sing CHAAAAA LAAAAA E CHALAAAAAAAAAA*slurring words, very slowly losing consciousness due to blood loss*WE ARE!
Old 2013-07-24, 17:47   Link #2088
crossguy
Confused. As usual.

* Followed by Thud/Splash.*
Dang!
I've injured myself laughing. Best laugh of the Month!

Any other crossover Deus Ex Machina?
Old 2013-07-25, 14:17   Link #2089
NaweG
Just some guy

Chapter 117 has been released (no thanks necessary, not that I am expecting any). I am looking forward to the discussion as I think the Super Saiyan possibility has been well ruled out...
Old 2013-07-25, 15:29   Link #2090
ImperialFlameGod8190

she's going to survive that's obvious but its a shame that shizuku is an idiot for this plan of hers
ImperialFlameGod8190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-25, 17:02   Link #2091
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialFlameGod8190 View Post
she's going to survive that's obvious but its a shame that shizuku is an idiot for this plan of hers
Not sure why you think she's going to survive? It seems that the author in this chapter has taken several of the ideas that folks have had for "solutions", and thrown them all out the window.

Harem end? Nope - gets you the same place as the Karin end - multiple camps (some possibly armed) on the island destroying the society if not the economy.

Karin end with a fight for no sacrifice? Nope.

Soyogi end with no fight but no sacrifice? Nope.

Shizuku is basically saying that she gave Nagi a chance to pick her so she could do what she was already prepared to do, and once he didn't do that, SHE became the one to choose.

In fact, the only question I'm not sure of is whether the festival is supposed to end with Nagi's sacrifice or that of the chosen girl? All along we had presumed it was supposed to be him. But Shizuku seems to suggest that it is the maiden who the Dragon God chooses who is sacrificed, and essentially she didn't think he would allow his choice to be killed. So she had no choice but to willingly give herself up.

If that really is the case, then that puts a different light on Karin and Soyogi's concerns earlier. Assuming that they knew either.

Shizuku talks about dishonor, and the implication is that her usurping Nagi's decision making is what was dishonorable. Not that she would be sacrificed instead of Nagi.

That's not to say that it couldn't be that Nagi is "supposed" to be sacrificed, and Shizuku is choosing to go in his place. But I think she would be more concerned about Oba in that case. Because Oba might decide to go ahead and have the villagers throw him in after...

I am personally expecting the next chapter to be everyone's reaction to Shizuku's choice and some final exposition on the festival and the expectations of the Dragon God going forward. Then 119 would be the reaction of the wider community (I can just imagine the rumors at school). Finally 120 would be a time skip with Nagi and his kids and the remaining maidens as they all think back on Shizuku - possibly with an intimation of Shizuku being reincarnated in a new birth - or a shadow/ghost version of her seen watching over them as she said she would.

My theory for now, anyway
Old 2013-07-25, 18:32   Link #2092
ImperialFlameGod8190

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaweG View Post
Not sure why you think she's going to survive? It seems that the author in this chapter has taken several of the ideas that folks have had for "solutions", and thrown them all out the window.

Harem end? Nope - gets you the same place as the Karin end - multiple camps (some possibly armed) on the island destroying the society if not the economy.

Shizuku is basically saying that she gave Nagi a chance to pick her so she could do what she was already prepared to do, and once he didn't do that, SHE became the one to choose.

In fact, the only question I'm not sure of is whether the festival is supposed to end with Nagi's sacrifice or that of the chosen girl? All along we had presumed it was supposed to be him. But Shizuku seems to suggest that it is the maiden who the Dragon God chooses who is sacrificed, and essentially she didn't think he would allow his choice to be killed. So she had no choice but to willingly give herself up.

If that really is the case, then that puts a different light on Karin and Soyogi's concerns earlier. Assuming that they knew either.

Shizuku talks about dishonor, and the implication is that her usurping Nagi's decision making is what was dishonorable. Not that she would be sacrificed instead of Nagi.

That's not to say that it couldn't be that Nagi is "supposed" to be sacrificed, and Shizuku is choosing to go in his place. But I think she would be more concerned about Oba in that case. Because Oba might decide to go ahead and have the villagers throw him in after...

I am personally expecting the next chapter to be everyone's reaction to Shizuku's choice and some final exposition on the festival and the expectations of the Dragon God going forward. Then 119 would be the reaction of the wider community (I can just imagine the rumors at school). Finally 120 would be a time skip with Nagi and his kids and the remaining maidens as they all think back on Shizuku - possibly with an intimation of Shizuku being reincarnated in a new birth - or a shadow/ghost version of her seen watching over them as she said she would.

she's going to survive because of the fact that nagi loves her more than both Karin and soyogi combined. They could kill her that's true but he'll go after her that's his nature way I see it there's no other ending
ImperialFlameGod8190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-25, 18:48   Link #2093
XFire
150% done

Quote:

Cool theory. Now go back and read the first chapter again. Look at what happens from Nagi's point of view and compare it to what happened just now to Shizuku. Then come back and tell us the author is leading up to her death.
Old 2013-07-25, 19:15   Link #2094
NaweG
Just some guy

But if he does save her, how do they deal with the factions on the island? The thing that Shizuku said she'd rather die than see happen?
Old 2013-07-25, 20:18   Link #2095
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
But if he does save her, how do they deal with the factions on the island? The thing that Shizuku said she'd rather die than see happen?
Everyone on the island suddenly loves the girls too much and everything turns out ok because of reasons....man, it's not a dark manga, things will resolve themselves even if it does for BS reasons.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-25, 21:45   Link #2096
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
Everyone on the island suddenly loves the girls too much and everything turns out ok because of reasons....man, it's not a dark manga, things will resolve themselves even if it does for BS reasons.
It's that School Days fetish people seem to have. Everyone wants gore with their harem nowadays so their jollies can be fulfilled. Not every harem manga has to have a boat ending you know-v-;;.
Old 2013-07-25, 23:04   Link #2097
crossguy
Confused. As usual.

I missed out on School Days. It was intentional, and I am not a fan of darkness.
There HAS been an element of darkness in this tale. Obaa and the unknown mother discussing
keeping the DG on the island, the various amounts of secrecy among the girls, and the "I can't talk about the ceremony". Having read the author's previous work, I know he can be dark and grim-but- I feel he never crosses the edge into tragedy for the sake of tragedy. There may not be the "Happily Ever After" ending you want, but he will tie up ALL the ends and balance the tale.
This is also the first chapter that gives any hint of the purpose of the girls actions.
(I still think chapter 52 gives away a lot of the back story.)
Old 2013-07-25, 23:22   Link #2098
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossguy View Post
I missed out on School Days. It was intentional, and I am not a fan of darkness.
There HAS been an element of darkness in this tale. Obaa and the unknown mother discussing
keeping the DG on the island, the various amounts of secrecy among the girls, and the "I can't talk about the ceremony". Having read the author's previous work, I know he can be dark and grim-but- I feel he never crosses the edge into tragedy for the sake of tragedy. There may not be the "Happily Ever After" ending you want, but he will tie up ALL the ends and balance the tale.
This is also the first chapter that gives any hint of the purpose of the girls actions.
(I still think chapter 52 gives away a lot of the back story.)
You mean Ai Aori Yoshi, or the author's other past "works"?
Old 2013-07-26, 00:22   Link #2099
Starshipw
Free Opinions Available

Nagi is following her into the water. I knew early on that they would both replay chapter 1, though I suspected that all 4 would go off together. I'm disappointed Karin and Soyogi are sidelined.

IRL cliff diving in the dark could be problematic, but I would feel better about their chances if I remembered seeing a full moon in the night sky. Of course a new moon could bring a high tide too.

I think Shizuku is underestimating Nagi. If the islanders think something bad is supposed to happen to his girls I expect him to get all Dragon Goddish with them and read them the riot act.

Isn't it unusual that a "festival" would have no celebrants or even witnesses?
Starshipw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-26, 01:48   Link #2100
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starshipw View Post
Nagi is following her into the water. I knew early on that they would both replay chapter 1, though I suspected that all 4 would go off together. I'm disappointed Karin and Soyogi are sidelined.

IRL cliff diving in the dark could be problematic, but I would feel better about their chances if I remembered seeing a full moon in the night sky. Of course a new moon could bring a high tide too.

I think Shizuku is underestimating Nagi. If the islanders think something bad is supposed to happen to his girls I expect him to get all Dragon Goddish with them and read them the riot act.

Isn't it unusual that a "festival" would have no celebrants or even witnesses?
That's ok, his Super Saiyan glow will make finding her in the dark easy. And I agree with you Starship, if any villager sasses him with some back talk, he'll just stomp the floor to make everyone listen while saying in a God-like voice, EY! Knock it off.

Tags
ecchi, harem, romance, rural, seinen