AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

View Poll Results: Spice and Wolf - Episode 11 Rating
Perfect 10 37 43.53%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 21 24.71%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 19 22.35%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 7.06%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.18%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.18%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-03-13, 08:20   Link #61
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
They certainly have gotten into another tough situation. Sadly don't have much of a choice, but to go with this one. Since the outcome otherwise would be pretty bad.

But true you did get a little worried with discussing such a thing in a public forum. Plus the shot at the church in a raised tone. Although people could just write it off as someone who had drunk a bit too much.

Was a nice scene at the end to finish the episode. Still have to make this plan succeed, but if so they will have managed to dodge a bullet this time.
Old 2008-03-13, 08:33   Link #62
arkxkra
全力全開

Spoiler for :

looking forward to next episode.

next episode is the last episode, so fast >.<"...
Old 2008-03-13, 09:10   Link #63
noob3d
馬鹿やろ

Fairly decent episode and I finally see Nora's role in all of this.In fact,you could argue this whole are revolves around her.I guess this arc basically focuses on the negative influence of the church possibly during the Renaissance period or slightly before that?Not too sure but I am fairly certain that Nora represents the people who suffered and were opressed by the church at the time.
Spoiler for episode 11 event thoughts:

So I already did a review and lastly thank you BSS for another fast release
Old 2008-03-13, 09:24   Link #64
Dark Wing

It's really a shame this series is coming to an end so soon...Well I hope it dose well enough for a second season.

Anyway interesting episode it seem like Nroa will finally be free from the churches wrath after all this is over with and poor girl deserves it.

Lawrence will once again get back on his feet and Horo gets all the honey apples and pears she can eat...which will unfortunately force Lawrence to start is finances all over again.
Old 2008-03-13, 09:41   Link #65
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
Why are they talking about their plans in a public area. Aren't they afraid that they will be overheard?
Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
plot hole! But Lawrence did whisper the part about gold smuggling to Nora.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
But true you did get a little worried with discussing such a thing in a public forum. Plus the shot at the church in a raised tone. Although people could just write it off as someone who had drunk a bit too much.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought discussing gold smuggling in an open public square was a little risky. I've heard that the best way to hide something is to put it out in plain sight. But even still, I thought they were taking quite a risk there. Who knows who might have been listening in?

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2008-03-13, 10:04   Link #66
ApostleOfGod
^.^

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought discussing gold smuggling in an open public square was a little risky. I've heard that the best way to hide something is to put it out in plain sight. But even still, I thought they were taking quite a risk there. Who knows who might have been listening in?
It was risky indeed. And yes, sometimes it is said that the best way to keep things secret is to leave it in open sight, where people would never expect it. We've all heard it, the companies in the first arc, Milone and Medioh, and the church, have people everywhere and can catch anything. It's likely that they do in the public as well, but I'm sure being infront of a big church and all, they might get a little careless. Then again, someone might have overheard and make things complicated in the next episode.

Amazing support episode initiating into the great plan, into the final episode. However, I feel that one more episode is too short to pace everything right and have everyone fully grasp all the details. Of course, Spice and Wolf has never failed to do that for me yet...

Great episode, 10/10.

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
Old 2008-03-13, 10:33   Link #67
Conall
Confused but Grateful

Wikipedia says there is going to be a 13th episode on March 26, 2008
Old 2008-03-13, 11:16   Link #68
mikesince83
AnimeSuki Freshman

Spice and Softy...

This episode is a great example of why I like Lawrence's character. Unlike the majority of male anime protagonists with a passive personality, Lawrence is very secure in his actions. All too often these characters end up being overly insecure resulting in gushing apologies and whiny monologues filled with indecision. Lawrence on the other hand, apologizes and when questioned, defends his decisions promptly and with resolve. Now that's a strong male lead.

Also, I was curious about use of the word "soft(y)". I'm not sure if that's a literal translation or not but it seemed particularly out of place when Horo was angry at Lawrence. While it could just be me, I felt it was too light hearted of a word to convey the emotion that was intended. I imagined something with an edge like "weak" or "simple" and at 6:13 possibly "lenient".
Old 2008-03-13, 11:29   Link #69
golthin

ok, the person that gave this episode an 1 really is out of his mind. What can be painful about this episode? I tried to come with as many rational and emotional reasons for the episode to be painful. The only thing I can think of is that the person is a Nora fan and he doesn't like the way that Lawrence is using Nora. Of course he didn't hear what Horo said about Nora being not as innocent as she appears.
Old 2008-03-13, 11:39   Link #70
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Guess Lawrence being in his twenties gives him a bit more of a secure position than some younger protagonists. Though showing he can freak out with the best of them when a situation gets really bad like last episode. At least even while apologizing he does back things up. Not just getting lost in a series of apologies without anything to go along with it.

Well I think soft is a reasonable word to go with. He is just a good person. Gets mad then feels bad about it. Long as the tone is there is still effective at getting the feeling across. Besides allowed to fit in at the end when the tone was pretty light.
Old 2008-03-13, 12:28   Link #71
Snuffle
likes cute things

I'm going to take a very very wild guess and say Nora is a yandere type.

Lawrence and Horo's little night conversation was interesting. It was on a nice mature level that is rare to see in anime. It was also pleasing to see that Horo is the type to admit when she is wrong (or at least when she causes trouble), and throwing out the pouch of coins was funny too .

I also feel bad that they have to use Nora like that ... So to my understanding, Noro is making no profit off this smuggling plan?
Old 2008-03-13, 12:33   Link #72
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffle View Post
I'm going to take a very very wild guess and say Nora is a yandere type.

Lawrence and Horo's little night conversation was interesting. It was on a nice mature level that is rare to see in anime. It was also pleasing to see that Horo is the type to admit when she is wrong (or at least when she causes trouble).

I also feel bad that they have to use Nora like that ... So to my understanding, Noro is making no profit off this smuggling plan?
Of course Nora is making a pretty good profit. It's not like they are going to use her without pay. Lawrence sees it as a contract and he will make sure its fulfilled.

Will be able to get enough money to leave the town and start the career she really wants to. Just that for Lawrence that regardless of the profit it's not worth gambling with your life like that.
Old 2008-03-13, 13:08   Link #73
mikesince83
AnimeSuki Freshman

On the edge...

Poor Nora is already riding the line. In that day and age being accused of witchcraft by the church was a death sentence. They haven't taken any action yet, but as Lawrence made it clear, it's where they're headed.
Old 2008-03-13, 14:39   Link #74
Cytrus
Unchangingly Hopeless

The church hire her themselves, so they can't just get rid of her without some kind of proof.

So they're using a kind of prolonged witch's test: you make a person drown, if they survived they had to have devil's help, if they didn't... well they died pure. God will welcome them. Even if it's dangerous routes instead of water, the church are telling Nora "please, die".

She doesn't deserve this, but the only thing she can currently do is take that one big risk and release herself from consecutive suicidal missions. Let's just hope all goes well.
Old 2008-03-13, 14:46   Link #75
Souten no Seigyoku
The Anti-Moron

Well now that I watched it, the whole 'coin scam' proceeds thing is moot. However, even if the gold smuggling scheme works out, he still lost money from the armor. Hes just recouping with another deal. So who knows how much he will end up with in the end.

On a sidenote: Id buy some pen & paper to take down names for later. Must properly thank all those people that were so nice to him when he was down and out. The water being thrown at him as if he were a bum, the few coins thrown at him in the street, the self rightous guy that made the insinuations at the end of ep10, etc. Next time he deals with them, all bets are off.

Join The Naruto Online Multiplayer Game Naruto-Arena.com

omai wa yowai....naze yowai ka? tarinai kara da nikushimiga
Old 2008-03-13, 15:09   Link #76
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I've not enjoyed an anime episode so much in a long time. This was beautiful from many angles. The verbal duel/dance/courting between Horo and Lawrence is just flipping fabulous. I agree with Snuffle -- a level of romantic maturity not often seen in anime (or live-action tv for that matter).

The "scam" (gold smuggling) plan and using Nora while simultaneously giving her a way out of her doom-destined "witches test" is seriously high-stakes (Cytrus's post was a very apt description -- the longer she succeeds, the more likely Nora will be proclaimed a witch and burned to death). But otherwise, Lawrence might as well be dead (mines, oarsman slavery), Noro will either die from attack or being declared a witch, and Horo will left with her worst fear again, being alone possibly forever (or dying in loneliness).

The history of the Church in "real life" during this period is not good --- highly aggressive, dominating, insinuating control over governments, leeching off of all aspects of the economy, making examples of anyone to keep the rest in line. Basically, the worst of an intermingling of "church and state".

As far as Lawrence's long term situation (becoming wealthy, revenge on people who treated him poorly, etc) ... it seems to me that in a way Lawrence is "burning bridges" subtly as he moves north at the same time he is doing well with certain trading companies. If I were to guess ... by the time he "gets north", he may not come back this way (and may end up acting as a northern agent for the trading companies as they expand).

Historically, it was several hundred more years before the Church lost its deathgrip on society in Europe - so in the world of Lawrence and Horo, working around them and quietly sticking it to the Church is about all they can hope for.

----------
As for our MercFH who gave the episode a "1" ... looking over his posts he seems to be almost exclusively a Rosario to Vampire fan with some Rental Magica fandom thrown in. He's certainly allowed to give whatever rating he wants - but people might be less likely to dismiss him as a troll if he'd provide a post with some rationale for his vote. Sometimes people throw a "1" because they misunderstand what is meant by "painful" (that happened on a few tragic series when an episode was very good -- but made the men cry).

Then again, there's the "people love this series therefore I shall be contrarian troll" motive ....

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-03-13 at 15:24.
Old 2008-03-13, 15:30   Link #77
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesince83 View Post
Poor Nora is already riding the line. In that day and age being accused of witchcraft by the church was a death sentence. They haven't taken any action yet, but as Lawrence made it clear, it's where they're headed.
They are doing it indirectly! they keep sending her on dengerous routes. this time they are sending her to an area where there are mercenaries. The church doesn't want to dirty their hands so they are doing it indirectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souten no Seigyoku View Post
However, even if the gold smuggling scheme works out, he still lost money from the armor.
He still owns the Armor, he didn't lose any money! the company never bought the armor from him.
If Lawrence had know what was happening, he could have left before showing at the company and gone to another town where the price for armor had not dropped and sold it there. It was too late after he found out the facts, and now he can't leave town to sell the armor. Once he get enough money to pay the debt and make a profit, he can leave town and sell the armor somewhere else.
Old 2008-03-13, 15:55   Link #78
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye, its like stocks... you haven't actually *lost* any money until you sell them.

The main qualification to that would be that the armor takes up a lot of room in the cart and is heavy. So the longer he has to hold them for later sale.... the more it impacts his other transactions -- not to mention any tariffs while transporting the goods through regions.
Old 2008-03-13, 16:11   Link #79
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Aye, its like stocks... you haven't actually *lost* any money until you sell them.

The main qualification to that would be that the armor takes up a lot of room in the cart and is heavy. So the longer he has to hold them for later sale.... the more it impacts his other transactions -- not to mention any tariffs while transporting the goods through regions.
I hope that Lawrence learns something from this! don't buy in credit unless it is completely necessary. He just got greedy because he was able ot obtain the armor at half the price, so he tried to double on the portion. He took an unnecessary chance and paid for it.
Old 2008-03-13, 16:34   Link #80
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
As for our MercFH who gave the episode a "1" ... looking over his posts he seems to be almost exclusively a Rosario to Vampire fan with some Rental Magica fandom thrown in. He's certainly allowed to give whatever rating he wants - but people might be less likely to dismiss him as a troll if he'd provide a post with some rationale for his vote. Sometimes people throw a "1" because they misunderstand what is meant by "painful" (that happened on a few tragic series when an episode was very good -- but made the men cry).

Then again, there's the "people love this series therefore I shall be contrarian troll" motive ....
Actually after checking it out it was just a accidental vote. Going for a higher one and it ended up as a 1. Does happen to people, know I've made a bad vote before. Though don't ask him where and when since I can't remember . Certainly some do give 1 votes for a lot of reasons, but this one just sits on the accident side.

Anyways, back to the episode. Church really is something. Ugly form of trying to get rid of her. Let the mercenaries and natural dangers do the work for them. If she doesn't make it lament the passing of such a soul.

While risky the plan does help out a lot of people. The company in question gets some much needed money which will save them. Lawrence doesn't end up in a mine where he'll be lucky not to die. Nora doesn't eventually get killed by something in her Church supported gauntlet. Horo gets to continue going along with Lawrence. Hopefully it goes as well as possible.