AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-01, 23:51   Link #41
alovelyburn
The Invisible Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryus View Post
Time will tell... though I thought Priscilla's reasoning for fighting was that she was ashamed of being cowardly the first time around. It just feels wrong for her awakened self to just as cowardly after all that and too much like the anime

Though though are my feelings on the spoiler not your translation Since I'd do no better at it.
More like my translation of the translation. I'm just going on the flow of the names, and things like the definition of phagosomes since I don't know Chinese, sob.

But yeah I don't love the spoiler, but time will tell as you say. I remember a few months ago an otherwise accurate spoiler suggested that Priscilla ran away but in the actual chapter she didn't, so who knows. PLUS I may just be wrong because it's not like google translate really gave a great reading.
Old 2010-08-01, 23:59   Link #42
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
Originally Posted by alovelyburn View Post
More like my translation of the translation. I'm just going on the flow of the names, and things like the definition of phagosomes since I don't know Chinese, sob.

But yeah I don't love the spoiler, but time will tell as you say. I remember a few months ago an otherwise accurate spoiler suggested that Priscilla ran away but in the actual chapter she didn't, so who knows. PLUS I may just be wrong because it's not like google translate really gave a great reading.
Yeah... that's the fun of spoilers, it may be true and seemingly incorrect especially when translated by a program.

It's why I post the Chinese too since sometimes someone will clear things up.

No need to feel worried about embarrassing yourself attempting to solve a poor translation. Half the fun is having wild theories develop because of poor translations of spoilers. I recall times when we had 10 pages of posts of people attempting to solve the spoiler (though for most of those we had 5 spoilers and everyone was trying to pick the right one). Great times .
Old 2010-08-02, 00:03   Link #43
Bouncing Boobs

Quote:
[B]Ah... found a spoiler... not sure if it's true since no source
I'm assuming "Fei Sina" is Priscilla... Kelei Ya and/or Di Nisha is Clare
I'd take Di Nisha as Teresa of Smile, which probably caused the fear of Priscilla. Just guessing.
Old 2010-08-02, 00:04   Link #44
alovelyburn
The Invisible Me.

Quote:
Yeah... that's the fun of spoilers, it may be true and seemingly incorrect especially when translated by a program.

It's why I post the Chinese too since sometimes someone will clear things up.

No need to feel worried about embarrassing yourself attempting to solve a poor translation. Half the fun is having wild theories develop because of poor translations of spoilers. I recall times when we had 10 pages of posts of people attempting to solve the spoiler (though for most of those we had 5 spoilers and everyone was trying to pick the right one). Great times .
See, nowadays the fake spoilers seem to be thin on the ground. How boring!

Translation in general is pretty interesting, which is why I also miss the days when many different groups were doing Claymore. The differences could be pretty fascinating.

Sometimes when I get bored I translate sections that confuse me or are under dispute just for kicks, and it's always interesting and almost never exactly what I'd assumed it was based on the translations I'd read before. Especially if I'm most familiar with the official release for a given chapter, since everyone knows Viz kind of sucks the nuance out of things.
Old 2010-08-02, 00:12   Link #45
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
See, nowadays the fake spoilers seem to be thin on the ground. How boring!

Translation in general is pretty interesting, which is why I also miss the days when many different groups were doing Claymore. The differences could be pretty fascinating.

Sometimes when I get bored I translate sections that confuse me or are under dispute just for kicks, and it's always interesting and almost never exactly what I'd assumed it was based on the translations I'd read before. Especially if I'm most familiar with the official release for a given chapter, since everyone knows Viz kind of sucks the nuance out of things.
VIZ's Translations of Claymore! I can't even read Japanese and even I have spotted huge errors they made. That tells you something.

Believe me If I could translate myself I would have done it for all of Claymore by now. Like you I'm the type to read every translation of Claymore out there just to see the differences. At times they astound me and other times it's just better and worse word choices/phrasing. It really bugs me though when any group poorly keeps the character tone right... I mean just look at Riful half the time she's translated just acting like a kid playing a game and the others times she a genius.

I expect quite a few others will go on some ranting about translation now that it was brought up
Old 2010-08-02, 00:17   Link #46
Ryus
The One Eyed King

A user on another forum summed up the "spoiler" as fake stating...

Quote:
Originally Posted by roku-sky View Post
Lol, that is similar to the fake spoiler / fanfic posted in the Chinese forums. Basically says Clare finds Theresa's spirit inside the chaos, and calls out to her. Priscilla, sensing a foreign youki, destroys everything.

However from the ruins arise a figure who seem to strike fear on Priscilla. "Hello, Priscilla," utters the figure, a faint smile on its lips.

As I said, most probably fake :P
Old 2010-08-02, 00:20   Link #47
alovelyburn
The Invisible Me.

Quote:
VIZ's Translations of Claymore!

Believe me If I could translate myself I would have done it for all of Claymore by now. Like you I'm the type to read every translation of Claymore out there just to see the differences. At times they astound me and other times it's just better and worse word choices/phrasing. It really bugs me though when any group poorly keeps the character tone right... I mean just look at Riful half the time she's translated just acting like a kid playing a game and the others times she a genius.

I expect quite a few others will go on some ranting about translation now that it was brought up
ROFLMAO. THAT SHOCKED FACE. BEST THING EVER.

I'm just kinda too lazy/prone to Japanese burnout to go through the whole thing. The most frustrating kind of difference for me is... accuracy differences? Like, okay take Riful's explanation of Priscilla's rampage - in the fantranslation I'm most familiar with, she says that Priscilla left one little girl alive in one town. In Viz's translation it says that she never killed ANY girls. That's a huge difference, okay. Annoying! Or sometimes there's a word that carries a certain connotation that gets lost if you just use its literal translation - cultural values and implications, but I guess there's not much to do about that without loads of author's notes.

The Riful thing... I'm always curious about whether that's a writing issue (like, the translator didn't try to retain the feeling of her speech or doesn't know how to or whatever) or an ability issue (like, the translator can't tell the difference between kid speech and adult speech). Aaaaah, who knows. Everyone should just learn Japanese.
Old 2010-08-02, 00:21   Link #48
Bouncing Boobs

Quote:
A user on another forum summed up the "spoiler" as fake stating...
??? They don't contradict to my eyes.

Edit: Clare called Teresa. Priscilla feeling strange yoki, go berserk and break everything only to see an ambiguous figure with uneasily familiar faint smile from the ruin she created.

Last edited by Bouncing Boobs; 2010-08-02 at 00:33.
Old 2010-08-02, 00:38   Link #49
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:

I'm just kinda too lazy/prone to Japanese burnout to go through the whole thing. The most frustrating kind of difference for me is... accuracy differences? Like, okay take Riful's explanation of Priscilla's rampage - in the fantranslation I'm most familiar with, she says that Priscilla left one little girl alive in one town. In Viz's translation it says that she never killed ANY girls. That's a huge difference, okay. Annoying! Or sometimes there's a word that carries a certain connotation that gets lost if you just use its literal translation - cultural values and implications, but I guess there's not much to do about that without loads of author's notes.

The Riful thing... I'm always curious about whether that's a writing issue (like, the translator didn't try to retain the feeling of her speech or doesn't know how to or whatever) or an ability issue (like, the translator can't tell the difference between kid speech and adult speech). Aaaaah, who knows. Everyone should just learn Japanese.
I try to save that face for the right moments... and yes that was just one of the things I was referring to with VIZs translations.

Well, from my understanding many translators of manga are learning both English and Japanese. So sometimes they just might not know how to translate it or keep the tone. I was just informed someone who translated many of the scans on Claymore is one such person... Then I was asked how I would phrase a certain part. Needly to say I totally shocked and dumbfounded of what to do or say but I did respond... and what I said was used in the translation and I bad enough with English as it is (and a native speaker of it)
Old 2010-08-02, 00:46   Link #50
alovelyburn
The Invisible Me.

Quote:
Well, from my understanding many translators of manga are learning both English and Japanese. So sometimes they just might not know how to translate it or keep the tone.
Really! I figured a lot of them were just learning Japanese, but I didn't realize that many of them were also learning English. Yikes. My hat's off to them - learning one at a time is hard enough. And yeah a lot of times I'm a bit at a loss as to how to translate something without losing the flavor or meaning, too. :/

It can be really tough. When I'm explaining things to friends I have this bad tendency to not actually translate and instead say things like, "Uhhh, she says [word] which is kind of like, [word word] so it means something like [blah blah], but not exactly that, more like [blah moo blah] with implications of [such and such!]." It's easier! This is why no one should ever let me scanlate!

...and back on topic, I'm secretly glad that spoiler is probably fake. There are very few things I'm more resistant to than the return of Teresa - not because I dislike her or anything (I love her!) but just. It seems like a bad idea, IMO. And I'm OPEN to it, I mean if she comes back and it's awesome then hey who am I to argue. But I just think the chances of it not being ridiculous are low.
Old 2010-08-02, 00:57   Link #51
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
Really! I figured a lot of them were just learning Japanese, but I didn't realize that many of them were also learning English. Yikes. My hat's off to them - learning one at a time is hard enough. And yeah a lot of times I'm a bit at a loss as to how to translate something without losing the flavor or meaning, too. :/

It can be really tough. When I'm explaining things to friends I have this bad tendency to not actually translate and instead say things like, "Uhhh, she says [word] which is kind of like, [word word] so it means something like [blah blah], but not exactly that, more like [blah moo blah] with implications of [such and such!]." It's easier! This is why no one should ever let me scanlate!

...and back on topic, I'm secretly glad that spoiler is probably fake. There are very few things I'm more resistant to than the return of Teresa - not because I dislike her or anything (I love her!) but just. It seems like a bad idea, IMO. And I'm OPEN to it, I mean if she comes back and it's awesome then hey who am I to argue. But I just think the chances of it not being ridiculous are low.
When I just read the translation and not the scans... most of them are like that too. Like this but but more literally like that. I actually like it that way BTW You have some lucky friends

Most of the time I feel the dead should stay buried too, even in Teresa's case. It's what makes Claymore feel so dark and real... when your gone your really gone. Don't get me wrong I love Teresa, she's my second favorite manga character but she's dead and should logically stay that way. Now sometime I find myself just wanting her back on an emotional level and if Yagi can pull it off right then power to him... but I'm scared there is no right way to bring back the dead. So I guess we have the same opinion here.
Old 2010-08-02, 01:03   Link #52
Bouncing Boobs

Oh, I get it now. Ryus meant both were from the same source which was not trustworthy.
Quote:
Ah... found a spoiler... not sure if it's true since no source was listed or any other usual indicators....
I guess I somehow missed the first line. I'd better go back to my job now.
Old 2010-08-02, 01:23   Link #53
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Boobs View Post
Oh, I get it now. Ryus meant both were from the same source which was not trustworthy. I guess I somehow missed the first line. I'd better go back to my job now.
Yeah... many of the correct spoilers say a few key words this one didn't. Recently they have been omitted from the correct spoiler but at the same time we haven't had many fake spoilers either. Well... to specify, the spoiler had the correct key words, it's just that the person to post it didn't post those key words with the spoiler. Sometimes later I'll find the same spoiler with those key words later on another site.

Also being posted with spoilers from other Jump Square mangas is a good sign the spoiler is true. It's also often like true if the spoiler being posted by a MOD or a profile that posts many accurate spoilers.

Noe of which was the case this time. However I'm still going to post a spoiler, if not just for the sake of having a debate.
Old 2010-08-02, 02:49   Link #54
Cyclone
Transient Guest

Quote:

That particular Riful line is pretty ambiguous.
The confusion stems from Japanese not having proper plurals. Japanese can explicitly pluralize a word, but if the word is left alone and by itself, it can be either singular or plural. In that whole section (from memory), Riful says repeatedly "onna no ko" meaing "girl(s)". If she had said "onna no ko tachi" then the extra suffix would have made it plural (i.e. "girls"), but she didn't. Likewise, Riful didn't explicitly say the singular (which in Japanese basically would be saying explicitly "one girl").

As such, the exact meaning is based on context - which is sorely lacking in that scene. In retrospect, I think it should be "girls", but only because of Ophelia being a survivor too. For this reason I side with the Viz version for one of only about 2nd or 3rd time on this one. But based on nothing more than the text on those couple pages, both versions of the translations are accurate (as odd as that sounds).

As for Riful's manner of speech, when she's in little girl mode, she talks sweet and cutsy. In AB mode, she talks normally. I found Viz did a very poor job on conveying that.
Old 2010-08-02, 02:54   Link #55
alovelyburn
The Invisible Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
That particular Riful line is pretty ambiguous.
The confusion stems from Japanese not having proper plurals. Japanese can explicitly pluralize a word, but if the word is left alone and by itself, it can be either singular or plural. In that whole section (from memory), Riful says repeatedly "onna no ko" meaing "girl(s)". If she had said "onna no ko tachi" then the extra suffix would have made it plural (i.e. "girls"), but she didn't. Likewise, Riful didn't explicitly say the singular (which in Japanese basically would be saying explicitly "one girl").
No, I know how Japanese works. In this particular case, I admit that I ended up sending the page to a relative (my maternal family is native Japanese, so when something is too ambiguous or culture-dependent for my own knowledge, I appeal to a higher authority) to make sure. For the record, she sided with the scanlator but I don't remember the specific details on why.
Old 2010-08-02, 10:35   Link #56
Inga

Don't worry guys I've got the real spoilers here.

Clare will get her butt kicked by Priscilla. Just when Prissie is about to kill her, Helen extends her arms and legs and uses them to capture Priss.

From that point forward Helen uses Priss to defeat the org... just like in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1iPZcUhakM
Old 2010-08-02, 10:42   Link #57
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inga View Post
Don't worry guys I've got the real spoilers here.

Clare will get her butt kicked by Priscilla. Just when Prissie is about to kill her, Helen extends her arms and legs and uses them to capture Priss.

From that point forward Helen uses Priss to defeat the org... just like in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1iPZcUhakM
How exactly does Helen survive this stupidity attack!!?
Old 2010-08-02, 10:43   Link #58
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Anyhoo, about all the spoilers....I don't like any of them; all of them sound too predictable and too much like the anime. I get the overwhelming impression they were made in about 5 minutes by someone who isn't all that into this story .

I don't know why, but I'm not surprised either - for some reason, the spoiler-makers are people who don't even like Claymore .
Old 2010-08-02, 10:50   Link #59
Ulquihorror

we were all fooled. THERE IS NO CHAPTER 106 FOR THIS MONTH. I REPEAT, THERE IS NO CHAPTER 106!

Spoiler:
Old 2010-08-02, 10:51   Link #60
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulquihorror View Post
we were all fooled. THERE IS NO CHAPTER 106 FOR THIS MONTH. I REPEAT, THERE IS NO CHAPTER 106!

Spoiler:
Well... Yuma's a lier!

The last chapter had this month listed as the next release of Claymore.