Notices

Old 2013-02-05, 21:41   Link #3681
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Updating my game files and mods and then into Skyrim once again ^^
Old 2013-02-05, 23:36   Link #3682
sa547
*Author

NMM allows us to generate mod lists so that they can be used to determine load order after reinstalling everything.
Old 2013-02-06, 09:43   Link #3683
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Well, a friend of mine let me play a couple hours on the Call of Yog-Sothoth Dragonborn DLC and...whoa...is the landscape a far cry from Skyrim's vistas. At the very beginning it's kind of depressing with the ashen hills and overcast skies, but once you move inland and higher up you'lll get reacquainted with Skyrim's familiar snow-covered slopes and rocky outgrowths. But despite the returning familiarity, Solstheim remains a really weeeird place - you really feel like you're away from home, from Skyrim.

Now, about the new creatures... The netches...well, Skyrim is my first Elder Scrolls game (I did think about buying Oblivion a couple years back but relented after reasserting my financial priorities) so this species kinda weirded me out (floating jellyfishes, really?)... A couple miles further away, adding even more befuddlement to my mind, seeing those giant, carved-out mushrooms, for some absolutely ridiculous reason, reminded me of the Smurfs, but in a surrealistic way. XD

The Rieklings...ah, I keep laughing every time I come across them, though I'm not exactly smiling whenever they burst out of the ground OR wooden barrels in order to ambush me. I hate surprise appearances like that (the only creatures in Skyrim that really succeeded in startling me so far were the bursting Gargoyles and the newly-born flying chaurus).

And come on, Bethesda...you should know by now that I hate insects and spiders, so why in the nine hells did you add more creepy-crawly horrors to your list of otherworldly predators? T_T (yeah, I'm referring to the ash hoppers as well as the albino and jumping spiders).

Oh, and any of you guys feel like singing the Cthulhu song whenever a Seeker attacks you? I, for one, certainly do. ;p
Old 2013-02-06, 10:09   Link #3684
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Do u need to have a highly developed Dragon Char to go to the Dragonborn Expansion? I still remember in Morrowind getting 1 shotted by goblins in Mournhold.

Unfortunately, my last char was so corrupted with bad saves I had her deleted.
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 19:11   Link #3685
sa547
*Author

Anyone having Dragonborn will have to grab the latest copy of FNIS, which should fix some animation problems occurring with the Unofficial DB Patch (http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/31083/). It's helpful to read the comments, too.
Old 2013-02-06, 21:05   Link #3686
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Official High-Res Texture Pack received an update. It now has a 3rd ESP/BSA to load that includes HD textures for all 3 DLCs plus some fixes to a few glitchy vanilla HD textures. Some, if not all, fan-made fixes may have been rendered obsolete, so be careful.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 21:50   Link #3687
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
Official High-Res Texture Pack received an update. It now has a 3rd ESP/BSA to load that includes HD textures for all 3 DLCs plus some fixes to a few glitchy vanilla HD textures. Some, if not all, fan-made fixes may have been rendered obsolete, so be careful.
That explains the 1.5GB update that came through for me today.
Ah, I probably need to get back into this game...
Old 2013-02-07, 02:13   Link #3688
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I gotta ask: What the hell is the Zahkrii Do Dovahkiin? Far as I can tell it's a unique sword in Dragonborn, but there's literally nothing on the net about it; it's not even in the damn wikis.
Old 2013-02-07, 07:25   Link #3689
sa547
*Author

BTW, before I played Dragonborn, the .ESM needs to be cleaned first by running it through TES5edit, to weed out UDRs and ITMs.

But I want to report that DB is an entirely new ballgame. The quest starts after the elders up at Hrothgar certify you as the Dragonborn; once off the mountain, cultists challenge you and then attack.

As I'm halfway through two other main quests, looks like my character is going to have her hands full.
Old 2013-02-07, 07:32   Link #3690
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
BTW, before I played Dragonborn, the .ESM needs to be cleaned first by running it through TES5edit, to weed out UDRs and ITMs.
Sidenote: Make sure your TES5Edit is version 3.0.28 (or later) before attempting this. Also, make sure you restore the original ESMs for Update, Dawnguard and Hearthfire and then re-clean them. The cleaning process has been revised and as such they need to be reverted and re-cleaned.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-07, 08:01   Link #3691
sa547
*Author

I performed a backup before cleaning. Okay, got the new version.

Strangely, I dunno what happened, but guess I should update Wrye Bash to cope with DB.

Last edited by sa547; 2013-02-07 at 08:27.
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 04:10   Link #3692
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The "using Frostfell" version of my dark elf assassin, I call Snow. Frostfell has the secondary effect of taking up the bandit camp offers of hospitality --

Old 2013-02-09, 14:06   Link #3693
sa547
*Author

After some long hours, I happily dealt with DB's main quest villain Miraak, along with a few sidejobs that afforded me warm rooms, free food, drink and supplies.

(Thankfully, the DLC was working okay after cleaning it and with the unofficial patch on. Good thing I never installed mods that messed up the animations, dragons, skills and perks, and hadn't brought along a companion which would've caused some problems. Frostfall worked as well, but we can't use horses on the island... and if using Frostfall, be prepared to make some wet and cold swims that needed immediate drying afterwards.)

Oh, man, as if anything else wasn't tough enough, some of the quests literally took the cake for challenges that maxed me out. As for the levels, the Apocrypha world was a throwback to those days when I was playing out the last few levels of Half-Life -- weird as hell... No, Apocrypha is hell populated with an infinite bookshelf, powerful minions, and Hermaeus Mora, the gameworld's answer to Cthulhu.

From this point onward, mod authors will have a lot on their hands.
Old 2013-02-09, 16:47   Link #3694
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
and Hermaeus Mora, the gameworld's answer to Cthulhu.
Actually, Hermaeus Mora is slightly more reminiscent of Yog-Sothoth, while the Seekers (the creatures seen hovering around Miraak when the Dragonborn first accesses Apocrypha) are almost a copy-paste of Cthulhu, save for the absence of the bat-wings and legs.

On another note, I must agree that some of the quests in Dragonborn were more...challenging than those in Skyrim or Dawnguard. The quickly disappearing spell bridge in Vahlok's Tomb, the boiler cubes in that Dwarven ruin with Neloth, etc, generally required a little more wit, reflexes and better stats than the vanilla puzzles in Skyrim.

For some reason now, it seems I can't fast-travel to Neloth's house without a dragon spawning in my direct vicinity and spoiling for a fight. Jesus, that reminds me of the Winterhold College, where I had the exact same problem. T_T
Old 2013-02-09, 17:21   Link #3695
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
For some reason now, it seems I can't fast-travel to Neloth's house without a dragon spawning in my direct vicinity and spoiling for a fight. Jesus, that reminds me of the Winterhold College, where I had the exact same problem. T_T
You got me recalling one run-through where I literally couldn't see through the courtyard at the mage college for all the dragon bones strewn about. Every time I'd fast travel there *poof* dragon. I think I had six or seven dragon corpses there.
Old 2013-02-09, 17:38   Link #3696
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

That's why you take the scenic route, kiddies.
Old 2013-02-09, 17:43   Link #3697
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Scenic route or not, dragons still spawn whenever I step out of either the College's halls or Neloth's mushroom-house (and right now, I'm doing a bunch of quests for him - oh boy). -_-

And as for the latter location, fast-traveling seemed a less painful prospect compared to being constantly ambushed by giant crickets and ash spawns around Mushroomtown.
Old 2013-02-09, 17:52   Link #3698
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
That's why you take the scenic route, kiddies.
I think its amusing when someone half my age calls me "kid"

Actually, I am being pretty strict about that with the Frostfell mod, since simply staying alive from town to town is part of the game.
Old 2013-02-09, 17:54   Link #3699
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I think its amusing when someone half my age calls me "kid"
I try. :V

Considering getting Frostfall but my game is loaded with mods as it is. Not that I'll get to play any time soon, what with the Dragonborn mod wait. >.>
Old 2013-02-09, 21:42   Link #3700
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

So sorry to bother everyone, but can you play Dragonborne without doing the main quest in Vanilla Skyrim or Dawnguard?

Like would the storyline make sense? Or is it expected you are level 30+ when u get there?
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bethesda, elder scrolls, rpg, skyrim