Spoiler for Akikan! Returns ~A Comedy of Eras~:
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-06, 03:09   Link #563
aahhsin

Oh where are the subs? oh where oh where
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-21, 21:22   Link #564
chaos_animagic

Just watched the ova... (my original vid got corrupted, had to watch it on streaming)

But... the sub... the scanlators censored some stuff... so the fanservice gone from 200% to 150%.

Still a Funny episode tho.
chaos_animagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-14, 03:38   Link #565
kamikazex

just watched the ova also. lol it was badass
kamikazex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-06, 08:29   Link #566
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
REVIEW TIME

Next in line for my spite of harems was Akikan, a show about girls popping of soda cans. Yeah, I hated it from the very description.

The thing is, you should know how to translate the symbolisms in these shows. They usually cloak their real meaning with silly premises to make the anime accessible to a wider audience. In this case we have magical girls who for some lame reason are trapped inside soda cans. The one who drinks one of those, frees the girl, who for some reason vows to be his servant. The lead male so happens to be collecting cans and one of them contains the lead girl. So… collections? Beautiful girls appearing out of nowhere and immediately becoming your servants? Is it me or is this like telling us to have a huge collection of figurines and sucking them daily in hopes of one of them coming to life and becoming our sex toy?

Anyways, every time someone drinks one of those cans, the girl is released and gives you a wet kiss … just like that. Yum, let’s go buy a million cans and keep kissing them, shall we?

Well, harems in general try to throw beautiful girls on the laps of sexless idiots and this show ranks amongst the most ridiculous excuses ever conceived. It even goes further by having those Akikan soda chicks to fight each other in a tournament in order for the most powerful to be the victor. Why? Just because; don’t try to reason with it.

Crapful premise aside, there actually is a story going on somewhere between those retarded moments. Half of the episodes are basically introducing the Akikans, getting to know them, and finally getting to see them fight. The other half are as expected brainless ecchi humor. But honestly, for a harem show that has a beginning, a climax and a somewhat ending, I am willing to give the Story the base score.

Now about the cast. All the characters are basically stereotypes, but for a harem show the scriptwriters tried to flesh them out at some points; something rarely seen in the genre. The lead had this traumatic encounter with terrorists, each Akikan has different fascination over her master and main rival. The end result is still quite sloppy but at least they tried. There is a whole episode dedicated to show them doing everyday simple things, with zero fan service or retarded action. For a 12 episode show based on ecchi, that needed balls to do. By the end of the show, all the main characters are not following the norm anymore and somewhat escape their mold.

Heck, the main male is actually quite bold and offensive when it comes to doing naughty things. He still chickens out the last moment and gets beaten and trashed by ravaged girls but still is not the typical super lame eunuch archetype. Plus it’s that thing with the terrorists and the murders, lol, what the heck was that? Stretch it a bit and everyone gets a somewhat similar immersion. Nothing major or ground breaking but it is there.

Still, all secondary characters are just present as superficial fill in for comedy. Gays and gigolos and busty lesbians, and spunky kawai lolis, and a bunch of other cardboard stereotypes are there only for flavor. Not that it would be better without them but they are terribly uninteresting, outside of ecchi humor.

Not the greatest cast ever seen in a harem but still more that cardboards. I give it a 6. It could be more without the retarded excuses for fruit battles and kissing to replenish magic energy.

The animation is pleasing without being exceptional. The amount of details and colors is rather standard for its age and even sloppy at many points, with some signs of deformity. The show has the courtesy to not go for a million pantsu shots per second or clothes made of paper. Fan service is mostly based on kisses, falling on someone, or just wearing swimsuits. Nothing too bold and offensive to the point of degrading the girls… too much.

Also, the characters are occasionally shown to make silly gestures and body poses that pass as innovation in a way. It makes the jokes better and the cast more likable by simply making them look lively. I give the animation a 7 just for that.

It still is poor if you try to compare it with high budgeted shows. The fighting scenes for example have really lame choreography and even feel sluggish. Seriously, what is there to expect from duals were the attacks have names like Melon Bomb or Sour Grape? Also, most special effects used are simplistic computer filters.

The music part needs its time to be likable. At first the squeaky voiced girls and the terrible OP and ED songs are making your teeth cringe. But after the more serious moments kick in, you get to listen to them from a more serious angle. Also, that dreadful ending song has several variations in the second half, with are far more likable than your first impression. Again, these minor details are what make the acoustic part more likable. Sound gets a 7.

And despite the rather positive take I have on a harem show, I still say it has little replay value. It’s not like you can’t get the same story elsewhere with more interesting presentation or better colorful characters (even Fate/Stay Night does a better job). But I will admit that for a harem specimen, it is half-good.

Average: 5.7 / 10
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-06, 11:02   Link #567
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
REVIEW TIME

Next in line for my spite of harems was Akikan, a show about girls popping of soda cans. Yeah, I hated it from the very description.

The thing is, you should know how to translate the symbolisms in these shows. They usually cloak their real meaning with silly premises to make the anime accessible to a wider audience. In this case we have magical girls who for some lame reason are trapped inside soda cans. The one who drinks one of those, frees the girl, who for some reason vows to be his servant. The lead male so happens to be collecting cans and one of them contains the lead girl. So… collections? Beautiful girls appearing out of nowhere and immediately becoming your servants? Is it me or is this like telling us to have a huge collection of figurines and sucking them daily in hopes of one of them coming to life and becoming our sex toy?

Anyways, every time someone drinks one of those cans, the girl is released and gives you a wet kiss … just like that. Yum, let’s go buy a million cans and keep kissing them, shall we?

Well, harems in general try to throw beautiful girls on the laps of sexless idiots and this show ranks amongst the most ridiculous excuses ever conceived. It even goes further by having those Akikan soda chicks to fight each other in a tournament in order for the most powerful to be the victor. Why? Just because; don’t try to reason with it.

Crapful premise aside, there actually is a story going on somewhere between those retarded moments. Half of the episodes are basically introducing the Akikans, getting to know them, and finally getting to see them fight. The other half are as expected brainless ecchi humor. But honestly, for a harem show that has a beginning, a climax and a somewhat ending, I am willing to give the Story the base score.

Now about the cast. All the characters are basically stereotypes, but for a harem show the scriptwriters tried to flesh them out at some points; something rarely seen in the genre. The lead had this traumatic encounter with terrorists, each Akikan has different fascination over her master and main rival. The end result is still quite sloppy but at least they tried. There is a whole episode dedicated to show them doing everyday simple things, with zero fan service or retarded action. For a 12 episode show based on ecchi, that needed balls to do. By the end of the show, all the main characters are not following the norm anymore and somewhat escape their mold.

Heck, the main male is actually quite bold and offensive when it comes to doing naughty things. He still chickens out the last moment and gets beaten and trashed by ravaged girls but still is not the typical super lame eunuch archetype. Plus it’s that thing with the terrorists and the murders, lol, what the heck was that? Stretch it a bit and everyone gets a somewhat similar immersion. Nothing major or ground breaking but it is there.

Still, all secondary characters are just present as superficial fill in for comedy. Gays and gigolos and busty lesbians, and spunky kawai lolis, and a bunch of other cardboard stereotypes are there only for flavor. Not that it would be better without them but they are terribly uninteresting, outside of ecchi humor.

Not the greatest cast ever seen in a harem but still more that cardboards. I give it a 6. It could be more without the retarded excuses for fruit battles and kissing to replenish magic energy.

The animation is pleasing without being exceptional. The amount of details and colors is rather standard for its age and even sloppy at many points, with some signs of deformity. The show has the courtesy to not go for a million pantsu shots per second or clothes made of paper. Fan service is mostly based on kisses, falling on someone, or just wearing swimsuits. Nothing too bold and offensive to the point of degrading the girls… too much.

Also, the characters are occasionally shown to make silly gestures and body poses that pass as innovation in a way. It makes the jokes better and the cast more likable by simply making them look lively. I give the animation a 7 just for that.

It still is poor if you try to compare it with high budgeted shows. The fighting scenes for example have really lame choreography and even feel sluggish. Seriously, what is there to expect from duals were the attacks have names like Melon Bomb or Sour Grape? Also, most special effects used are simplistic computer filters.

The music part needs its time to be likable. At first the squeaky voiced girls and the terrible OP and ED songs are making your teeth cringe. But after the more serious moments kick in, you get to listen to them from a more serious angle. Also, that dreadful ending song has several variations in the second half, with are far more likable than your first impression. Again, these minor details are what make the acoustic part more likable. Sound gets a 7.

And despite the rather positive take I have on a harem show, I still say it has little replay value. It’s not like you can’t get the same story elsewhere with more interesting presentation or better colorful characters (even Fate/Stay Night does a better job). But I will admit that for a harem specimen, it is half-good.

Average: 5.7 / 10
Would rather harems center around a sexless wonder than be crap like Yosuga no Sora.

Other wise Akikan is below average about as bad as Girls Bravo.
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-06, 16:52   Link #568
Midonin
Last Engage

Isn't this ultimately a futile endeavor? What will hating every example of a genre in essay form accomplish, emotionally or for the fandom as a whole? If it's catharsis, the desire to hate will only encourage you to hate more, not quell it, and compared to something like My Year of Flops, it has no attempts at enlightenment, only anger, as expressed in the opening paragraphs. If someone decided to take to a genre you like and insult in alphabetical order just for kicks, wouldn't you feel somewhat slighted by it as well?

As fans, we should try to be productive, and I fail to see anything productive about this.
Old 2011-01-06, 17:12   Link #569
roriconfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
Isn't this ultimately a futile endeavor?
Few things ain't over the internet.

Quote:
What will hating every example of a genre in essay form accomplish, emotionally or for the fandom as a whole? If it's catharsis, the desire to hate will only encourage you to hate more, not quell it
That is relevant.

Quote:
it has no attempts at enlightenment, only anger, as expressed in the opening paragraphs.
It's not like I bash it without some explaination.

Quote:
If someone decided to take to a genre you like and insult in alphabetical order just for kicks, wouldn't you feel somewhat slighted by it as well?
I would flame him like there is no tomorrow. Feel free to do the same if you like.

Quote:
As fans, we should try to be productive, and I fail to see anything productive about this.
Oh come on, I clearly am pro productivity myself. I indirectly say "Stop making / buying these mediocrities and try to have some innovation for a change."
Old 2011-01-06, 17:15   Link #570
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
I would flame him like there is no tomorrow. Feel free to do the same if you like.
I don't want to flame you, that would make me look like a jackass. I'm simply questioning why you're going through something you hate when anime, as defined in other threads, is a medium, not a genre. You're free to ignore this genre. I ignore plenty of them myself. I think of productivity more as bringing happiness to the fandom. This brings nothing but anger, which renders something pointless even more pointless.
Old 2011-01-06, 17:29   Link #571
roriconfan
Banned

Too much happiness can be damaging as well you know. Look how things turned out; pampering the otakus in 90% of modern shows with incest and gays and a lot of other shitz. They pass the mindset of ecchi = win when I find my happiness in good storytelling. Which I rarely get because of all the moe and the ecchi in 99% of modern anime. I am just defending my own happiness.
Old 2011-01-06, 17:31   Link #572
Midonin
Last Engage

But it's a bigger man who can praise his good points without slandering his opponent. And from most of your recent posts, and the entire point of this campaign, it seems slandering is all you know. So consider the purpose of this campaign, that's all I ask. It may bring satisfaction to you, but if it has to come at the expense of others', is that worth it?
Old 2011-01-06, 17:46   Link #573
roriconfan
Banned

I see no expense. Nobody was hurt; I just stated it is a mediocre harem. Which it is.
Old 2011-01-06, 17:52   Link #574
Midonin
Last Engage

Not this thread. The entire "watch every harem and review it" campaign. It extends to threads beyond this one, but I chose this one to confront you in because it was recent and I admittedly hold a soft spot for the show.
Old 2011-01-06, 17:56   Link #575
roriconfan
Banned

Well, so far this is the highest scored harem I reviewed this year. Although Ai Yori Aoshi got a better view some years ago and I still like Love Hina and Ah My Goddess a bit.
Old 2011-01-06, 18:01   Link #576
Midonin
Last Engage

It's not about the ratings and the rankings. Emotions are something that can't be easily transcribed to numbers. It's about the concept and the tone of the reviews. The condescending tone towards the otaku crowd (and by extension, the fans of the shows) and the muddled concept behind the campaign just rub me the wrong way. I know that I probably can't do that much to stop you, but it seems like a misguided use of energy.
Old 2011-01-06, 18:30   Link #577
roriconfan
Banned

I wrote reviews about shows I like as well. I invested plenty of energy on those as well. Untill more come up, I'm on harem campaign.

And there is not such thing as a completely unbiased review. I even hype some shows myself. They are not better reviews for being postive. They are just positive. And excuse me for living in a society in the brink of financial collapse that affects my tone of writting, I'm just stating my mind as I feel without cold dry facts and numbers. Harems in particular are way down on my likeness bar.

And this is getting freaking off topic. If you want to continue this, do it with Visitor messages.
Old 2011-01-06, 19:08   Link #578
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quote:
Too much happiness can be damaging as well you know. Look how things turned out; pampering the otakus in 90% of modern shows with incest and gays and a lot of other shitz. They pass the mindset of ecchi = win when I find my happiness in good storytelling. Which I rarely get because of all the moe and the ecchi in 99% of modern anime. I am just defending my own happiness.
Meh if its an ecchi show let it be strange..if it is not one don't fuck with it.... (kiddy girl and)
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, romance, shounen