AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-11-03, 18:55   Link #1
Jimbasushi

Send a message via AIM to Jimbasushi
Looking for an anime like Beck! suggestions?

hi i'm a hardcore anime watcher and i recently just finished watching Beck. In my opinion the maturity level of the anime, the intensitiy and the romantic story line in the series was really good. Does anyone have suggestions that has a similar story line or an exciting one just like Beck? thx
-Jim
Old 2006-11-03, 19:31   Link #2
FireDetei
Online Gamer.

Not really sure, well i myself have never seen or heard of anything like Beck. I guess nana could be classed as alike (music orientated and i think it has romance) although i personally haven't watched it.

If your looking for a romancy r/l type of thing - there are plenty of other threads for that genre requested previously, just search down a few pages, its asked for alot.

If you want a Spice of Life element, try Honey & Clover. Very very good series
Old 2006-11-03, 19:36   Link #3
jedinat

If you want another anime where the guy is completely embarrassing, check out Suzuka.
Old 2006-11-03, 20:05   Link #4
Jimbasushi

Right, I didn't mean to be lazy by not looking through other topics and i really have. I' ve been through this forum a lot and this is my first time posting something: ) just thought sometimes a direct reply to something would be nice : D

suzuka looks interesting i definitely will look into that. thx for that.

i'm usually the fantasy/action type and sports anime type and i've seen a lot of the recent and old classics. it's just recently after watching Beck i've been moving towards the romance animes a little more. I really appreciate the ones that carry a good romance , spice of life thing like you said

Honey and clover looks so so to me and i've seen
Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien too but the plot was only ok to me but i still give it high marks for being good. I'm looking into Full Moon wo Sagashite but don't know if that will be good or not we'll see.

thx for all the input so far : D

-Jim
Old 2006-11-03, 20:11   Link #5
jedinat

Full Moon is great... and to both of you, it's "Slice" of Life, not 'spice'!
Old 2006-11-03, 20:14   Link #6
Jimbasushi

LOL slice of life i didn't even realize i was typing spice ROFLS
anyhow maybe the reason honey and clover didn't look appealing to me, and i'll be frank and honest, is shes drawn as like a lil girl even though i know she's like trapped in that body or something according to the anime. Like maho in beck was mature and attractive to me and i guess it was more appealing to me to watch somethin where its a little bit more mature in the character staff and plot *SHRUG* sorry for being so picky ! lol
Old 2006-11-03, 20:34   Link #7
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbasushi View Post
anyhow maybe the reason honey and clover didn't look appealing to me, and i'll be frank and honest, is shes drawn as like a lil girl even though i know she's like trapped in that body or something according to the anime. Like maho in beck was mature and attractive to me and i guess it was more appealing to me to watch somethin where its a little bit more mature in the character staff and plot *SHRUG* sorry for being so picky ! lol
Are you getting different anime confused? There's no body changing or anything magical in Honey & Clover. One of the girls does look very young for her age... but the romance of the show isn't even very focused on her. Well, there is some involving her, but not as much as some other characters. It's an anime that's about the entire cast and not focused on just one or two people, though it does feature Takemoto a little bit more than other characters.

...Were you refering to Full Moon wo Sagashite? She's an 11 year old that can change into a 16 year old.
Old 2006-11-03, 20:36   Link #8
Jimbasushi

hmmm maybe i was... lol i'll go look it up again anyhow anymore suggestions : D
Old 2006-11-03, 21:13   Link #9
MamoruUsagi

Bokura ga Ita is a great romance series.

Kare Kano is also a good romance/drama series.

Marmalade Boy is a good romance series, 76 episodes.

In all of these series, the couple become boyfriend/girlfriend early on and are dating during the series and in a committed relationship.

Paradise Kiss is a very different series.

Kaikan Phrase involves music and romance, the manga has a lot of sexual material, though, so be warned.

Do you like manga as well as anime? The manga series Kare First Love and Mars are romance/drama series where the couple becomes boyfriend/girlfriend during the beginning of the series and they are truly great series.

Kare First Love and Mars are both mature and very good romance/drama series. However, that's only if you'd like manga. If you don't, then look toward the higher suggestions.

Mars is a more mature series, though, dealing with serious issues and deals with things seriously, patiently and is both exciting as well as romantic and carefully done. The couple hooks up early on, so the relationship is there from the start, there are 15 volumes and it's very mature, romantic and made very well.

Kare First Love and Mars carry the realistic, strong romance and drama storyline very well. They are very deep, especially Mars. The couples become boyfriend/girlfriend early on and the storyline about their pasts and the issues involved in their relationship are done very well and realistically.

Last edited by MamoruUsagi; 2006-11-03 at 21:33.
Old 2006-11-03, 23:21   Link #10
mit7059

Trust me, watch Honey & Clover, Beck is my favorite anime of all time and Honey & Clover is a close second, and although I enjoyed Beck more Honey & Clover had more replay value to me becuase you miss things if you only watch it once. Don't dawdle on Hagu's size, because she's not the only relationship there and by the end of the series she looks and acts much more mature. If you enjoyed beck you should enjoy Honey & Clover

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2006-11-04, 14:21   Link #11
Jimbasushi

thank you mit and mamoru , i'll look into them some more...
btw i just finished watching suzuka, not bad: ) happy ending
Old 2006-11-04, 17:22   Link #12
FireDetei
Online Gamer.

If your interested Suzuka manga continues after the ending of the anime, although the story goes a little crappy and repetative.

oh and yeah - little embarrased over the Spice Slice thing
Old 2006-11-04, 18:39   Link #13
Jimbasushi

yeah i was embarressed to that day lol but unfortunately i'm not into manga too much...Bokura ga Ita looks really good and so does Kaikan Phrase, i could be wrong though : P no other way to find out but to watch em : )

anyhow i finished suzuka and beck and i absolutely loved both so if u have any more suggestions with stories like that send em on over: )

if anyone needs help picking or deciding on what to watch that deals with action, fantasy, or sport animes feel free to send me a tell i'm a master at those ; )
Old 2006-11-05, 00:24   Link #14
MamoruUsagi

Kare Kano is very popular and well-liked. It's a lot better than it sounds. It has a very good storyline and it really goes into emotions and the couple becomes boyfriend/girlfriend quickly and it's a deep series. The manga goes in even deeper with lots of secrets and the manga goes on a lot longer, where everybody gets married, the anime is still done very well and it's a very likable series. You should definetely checkout the series, anime or manga form.

Mars is a manga that is very deep. The couple is just developed really well, the series has a lot of drama and it's just done very well and it's intense, it's not cliche at all, at first it may appear to be, but going deeper into the story, the story develops so much more. However, there is only a manga, but it's a really amazing series, 15 volumes. The main character is Kira.

Anyway, just thought I'd give some more info.

Kare Kano's anime version is done well, since you like anime, I'd recommend it. Mars is deep, but it only has a manga version, while Kare Kano has an anime version, so you should definetely see them. Mars has a lot more serious drama and romance than Suzuka, as with Mars, the couple becomes boyfriend/girlfriend right away in the beginning, so you see them dating and as a couple and when they are boyfriend and girlfriend , they reveal to each other about the secrets from their pasts, which makes their relationship intense, as they are dating throughout the entire series, their relationship faces a lot of serious tests and later in the series, there pasts are revealed even deeper.

Anyway, you're free to choose whichever series you wish, I just thought I should give some more info.
Old 2006-11-05, 00:26   Link #15
Jimbasushi

yay! arigato! : D
Closed Thread