Videocard: DirectX v9 compatible 94 62.67%
Videocard: Older 11 7.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-10-17, 00:44   Link #21
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Graphics card has nothing to do with it unless you're playing back HD-DVD/Blu-ray and using commercial software that can call on the H.264 decoding of the newer cards. I'm a bit skeptical that RAM really has much of an impact, either - the speed of the RAM, maybe, but the amount not so much.

If you want to move this into the general area of the forum then you should also include an "I don't know" option, because many people would probably see the results, be clued out, and not answer anything. It's a useless option but shows involvement; to make it more informative you could make it "IDK but it's new" or "IDK but it's 2+ years old" or so (which still don't tell us much, but they're better than nothing).
I was thinking of ram in a secondary position to prevent bottlenecking.

In regards to ppl not knowing, how about a big sign saying "ask in the thread if you are unsure before voting"
Old 2007-10-17, 01:05   Link #22
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Bottlenecking: true.

Idea of saying to ask in thread and/or providing instructions on how to check: excellent idea, that should work.
Old 2007-10-17, 04:53   Link #23
problemedchild
ô_ô

Have them run CPU-Z for the CPU and GPU-Z. Then have them report the information =)
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-17, 05:05   Link #24
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

I would think the avarage person that knows how to find the fansub and know how to get them would at least be able to point out his/her computer spec. But than again. If one thing i learned than that would be that i shouldn't assume people know the things i think they should, as common knowledge as it may be.

I think the easiest way for people to check there specs is Start>Run>dxdiag

The first tab should show all the required info. Should people be to lazy to write. Just do Save all information And copy paste the stuff out of the first part of the txt here. It will sort of look like this:

Spoiler:

I think this would be the easiest and least effort for them to do. No need to download a program they would most likely never use again.

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Sephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-17, 05:19   Link #25
grey_moon

I like Sephi's how to and think it should be added to the first post, with the version number updated to (v2.1)

Still need one for Macs and I think nix'ers prbly know their specs.
Old 2007-10-17, 05:48   Link #26
problemedchild
ô_ô

Gotta add the video card in there as well, since dxdiag doesn't show it on the front page, should be easy to redirect to the Display page though =)

Last edited by problemedchild; 2007-10-17 at 06:05.
Old 2007-10-17, 06:17   Link #27
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

Mmm video card isn't included in the Poll. And unless you got one of those newer with support for HD decoding. The video card in most cases wouldn't matter. And my guess would be that anyone who has a new video card with a support for HD decoding would have a proc more than sufficient to run a fansub release.

Tough it might be useful to know how many actually has a video card that supports it.

Just to get it as complete as possible you can add the following from the Display Devices from the txt:
Spoiler:

Up to current mode would be sufficient info i think.

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Sephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-17, 06:23   Link #28
problemedchild
ô_ô

Meh, the information is only one click away for everyone. Might as well gather it while we can.

Edit: Video cards are included in the poll. While it doesn't ask for a model number, it does ask for DX9 and DX10 support.
Old 2007-10-17, 07:18   Link #29
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Early poll results are in line with what I expected. Although I am surprised at the low numbers of *nix O/s users. Also a little bit surprised that Vista is struggling mightily.
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-17, 16:52   Link #30
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan View Post
Early poll results are in line with what I expected. Although I am surprised at the low numbers of *nix O/s users.
What do they need with the tech support forum? I'm not surprised that it's mostly Windows users seeing this poll. *jabs at Microsoft*

Quote:
Also a little bit surprised that Vista is struggling mightily.
Yes, I thought we had at least five Vista users here; as of now I see four, I guess one of them reverted back to XP

Joking, joking...

For Mac OS the easiest way to find the information is to click the Apple logo in the upper left-hand corner and select "About this Mac" - it provides the processor clockrate and brand (but not model number, e.g. I see "2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo") as well as how much RAM and RAM speed. For graphics card and extended information you must click the "More info..." button, which will open up the System Profiler. Graphics card is listed under "Graphics/Displays" and will show the graphics chipset name and RAM. However it doesn't show it in a manner that very non-technical people would find easy to understand.
Old 2007-10-17, 17:45   Link #31
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Mac Pro. That's two dual-core 2.66GHz Woodcrest Xeons (5150s), 4GB of RAM, three internal SATA hard drives (250, 320, and 750 GB), a 512MB Radeon X1900 XT, and a Dell 2407 widescreen 24" LCD display.

I love it so much.

Of course, it's in the shop at Apple at the moment getting the graphics card replaced (for free, yay for warranties). ATI's cards seem to be prone to long-term heat damage. :/ That's kind of annoying.

But oh well, she'll be back in a few days, good as new.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm dual-booting Vista 32-bit as well.
Old 2007-10-17, 18:36   Link #32
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

I use an custom built computer i made when i was 16 last year AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000 2.6GHz Black Edition {got it yesterday} i have 2 7950gt's used in sli mode{have yet to upgrade to DX10}
I tried to us Gentoo Linux but i failed cause it was hard very hard >_<
But i got Fedora 7 to work XD i have an 20 inch samsung monitor but i use my step dad's 40 TV{ to play Guild wars }
And i saved up money for like 4 years >_< for it
Old 2007-10-17, 20:23   Link #33
jpwong

Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66GHz
Windows XP Pro
2GB RAM
7900GS KO video card
jpwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-18, 01:19   Link #34
grey_moon

@hobbes_fan - Could you update the first post to include the two guides about how to export out details for non techie people please?
Old 2007-10-18, 07:09   Link #35
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Done. I will be posting screenshots later. Also if anyone comes up with a way for MAC users to identify their hardware just post it and I will ammend the instructions. Also can I request this thread be temporarily stickied?

Last edited by hobbes_fan; 2007-10-18 at 07:55.
Old 2007-10-18, 08:04   Link #36
grey_moon

Ledgem posted a brief one a few posts above;

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...2&postcount=30

I'm too poor to afford a Mac so I can't comment
Old 2007-10-18, 08:31   Link #37
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Same here, although Apple circa 1990 and me has a lot of bad blood to deal with. I'm hoping for around 100 responses to this if possible so fansubbers can use the data properly if they choose to.

Edit: I wonder what "older" videocard users are using? Haven't seen a card lower than DX9 for a good couple of years.
Old 2007-10-18, 12:38   Link #38
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I've done at least five retrogrades from Vista to XP in the last couple of months. One was an entire office of about 10 desktops. My local experience is that Vista==WinME-mk2 <sigh> -- business hates it and very mixed views from gamers. My local parts supplier sells XP and Vista OS packages .... they say they're selling XP like crazy, the only Vista buyers are folks who "can't live without DX10".

I may start a local pool of how long before MS caves and offers DX10 for 2000/XP.
Old 2007-10-18, 12:52   Link #39
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I've done at least five retrogrades from Vista to XP in the last couple of months. One was an entire office of about 10 desktops. My local experience is that Vista==WinME-mk2 <sigh> -- business hates it and very mixed views from gamers. My local parts supplier sells XP and Vista OS packages .... they say they're selling XP like crazy, the only Vista buyers are folks who "can't live without DX10".

I may start a local pool of how long before MS caves and offers DX10 for 2000/XP.
I'm feeling quite sorry for the last place I worked as the upper management loves MS products for some reason even though they are a Novell based network. They were already discussing how they were going to roll Vista out and it was still vapour ware at the time

Got to love IT directors who are good at getting money (a good thing), but then waste it on stupid things like Vista (a bad thing). They should let the people they hire who actually know the stuff have more of a decision.
Old 2007-10-18, 13:32   Link #40
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Doubt it, early reports is that Vienna is ahead of schedule and is more likely for an early beta test stage late 2009 and roll out in 2010 according to a PC mag I was reading a few weeks ago. Even more worrying is DX10.1 seems much much more likely to come sooner rather than later so all those people who bought high DX10 video cards may get the shaft as I'm not sure whether they'll be able to utilise DX10.1. Right now at work they're doing testing on a closed server of the Beta version of Longhorn. That doesn't seem to be going to badly and some guys are saying it's not a big of a PITA as they thought it'd be

Or alternatively DX10.1 could be a Vista exclusive and DX10 gets backported to XP.