AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-11-19, 17:55   Link #241
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

A girl does something heroic and she's called stupid? Why aren't these Code Breakers stupid for trying to protect her? Or are only guys allowed to do that?
Dengar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-19, 18:38   Link #242
ImperialFlameGod8190

Quote:
Originally Posted by icbm3747 View Post
Yeah, I had to face-palm after she jumped right in front of the blast. I suppose the director of the anime wanted to show what she can do that all of the codebreakers combined can't do. I have to say however, I am enjoying the changes from the manga (yes, she is still just as dumb in the manga). The differences so far seem to have been made to give the series a more clear and concise focus so it can just get to the point and tell the story it wants to tell without removing much of the character backgrounds/development. That said, I do kinda hope they don't deviate too much from the original material. It wasn't exactly "great" but I did enjoy what I had read.
i agree the changes make it better although it ruins the chances of this lasting long unless they do a certain thing which makes it more fun but otherwise this may last 2 seasons at the most
ImperialFlameGod8190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-19, 18:58   Link #243
Razdent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
A girl does something heroic and she's called stupid?
It’s interesting you say that but perhaps you’re also taking things out of perspective. Maybe it’s too harsh to call her stupid but there’s a limit for how long someone can remain naïve, and in my opinion she has already witnessed far too much to remain labeled as such. Yes, her swift actions were heroic; I don't think anyone will argue that.

However, looking at her actions objectively, what she did doesn’t make any sense at all. She has no idea that she is some kind of "special species" that can negate powers or whatever. For all she knows, she's a normal girl (albeit being physically stronger and perhaps mentally too due to her upbringing) and she very well could have died from that attack had she been normal. For her to be jumping into a potentially deadly situation head first (especially when even the code breakers are having their asses handed to them) and thinking she can help make the situation better is just too illogical given what she has already been through.

From the very first episode up till now, she has just constantly involved herself in these situations where special powers were used and she couldn't do anything about it as far as she’s concerned. To go from running away from Ogami when she thought he was going to kill her to suddenly running straight into an attack that could have killed her really makes me wonder what she’s thinking.
Quote:
Why aren't these Code Breakers stupid for trying to protect her? Or are only guys allowed to do that?
The code breakers thus far seem pretty willing (with their own reasons) to accept that they may lose their lives while doing their “work” for Eden so their actions in trying to protect her are very believable. Also, since I don’t want to discuss possible spoilers, I won’t address your line about “Or are only guys allowed to do that?”

Edit: I do like her as a character and she is an integral part of the story (the flashback scene with her as a child, opposing view points/morals from the other characters, etc) but I wish she didn't come off as big of a mystery just like the rest of the code breakers.

Last edited by Razdent; 2012-11-20 at 01:31.
Razdent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-20, 02:58   Link #244
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
However, looking at her actions objectively, what she did doesn’t make any sense at all. She has no idea that she is some kind of "special species" that can negate powers or whatever. For all she knows, she's a normal girl (albeit being physically stronger and perhaps mentally too due to her upbringing) and she very well could have died from that attack had she been normal. For her to be jumping into a potentially deadly situation head first (especially when even the code breakers are having their asses handed to them) and thinking she can help make the situation better is just too illogical given what she has already been through.

From the very first episode up till now, she has just constantly involved herself in these situations where special powers were used and she couldn't do anything about it as far as she’s concerned. To go from running away from Ogami when she thought he was going to kill her to suddenly running straight into an attack that could have killed her really makes me wonder what she’s thinking.
Isn't it obvious that she was thinking something related to protecting her friends? At least, -I- thought it was obvious. Whether she could survive it or not isn't even the issue. If anything, knowing that she could've died doing that makes it more heroic.

Quote:
The code breakers thus far seem pretty willing (with their own reasons) to accept that they may lose their lives while doing their “work” for Eden so their actions in trying to protect her are very believable. Also, since I don’t want to discuss possible spoilers, I won’t address your line about “Or are only guys allowed to do that?”
So what makes you think that Sakura thought everything was going to be fine?
Old 2012-11-20, 11:35   Link #245
Razdent

Quote:
Isn't it obvious that she was thinking something related to protecting her friends? At least, -I- thought it was obvious. Whether she could survive it or not isn't even the issue. If anything, knowing that she could've died doing that makes it more heroic.
Heh, that's not really the point at all. Basically, her whole act only serves to show the viewer’s how heroic and courageous she is, but we already know how heroic she is based off her actions of trying to save that homeless man from the first episode. Doing the same exact thing now just shows me that she didn't learn her lesson about running into a really bad situation. What boggles my mind is how she thought sacrificing herself would save her friends. If she died, who is to say that Hitomi couldn't have just shot out another blast right away? Had she waited a split second longer perhaps Code: 05 and/or Code: 02 could have done something to help them out; after all, according to what she knows, they have special powers while she does not?

If your friend was about to be hit by a truck would you run in front of the truck in an attempt to stop it or would you try to push your friend out of the way and then get hit by the truck instead? Let me put it this way, to me, it would have been largely more understandable if she attempted to save Toki and Ogami by grabbing them and trying to move them out of the radius of the attack, and then she could have been hit by the blast as a result of her heroic rescue attempt. It would be at that point that she would have realized she can withstand an attack like that. Instead what we saw was her run right into it so that perhaps no one else would get hurt. I just can't wrap my head around a character doing that (given what she's already had to go through) unless she would like to show us that she's been reading the script in advance.

We get that she is really the selfless and kind type of character that would be willing to get hurt to help someone. But there needs to be more beyond that to make her a believable character (in a world where special powers exist) and not simply a plot device.

Quote:
So what makes you think that Sakura thought everything was going to be fine?
As I stated earlier, she's pretty much been doing the same thing she's done since the first episode, so like, what else could she be thinking? Completely ignoring any consequence that may happen to her, she runs into a gang and attempts to fight them to save a homeless man, she runs into Ogami (while knowing how dangerous he is) and attempts to stop him from killing more people and get him to turn himself over to the police, she goes along with Toki and Ogami to stop them both from killing people (mind you there's been instances where there are guns aimed at her), and now this latest incident as well. At what point does she go, "hmm, you know, maybe I need to start thinking about what may happen to me"?

When I watched the first episode I really did think she might be able to hold her own against the gang until that stun gun came out. And that was acceptable to me; she was really heroic for what she did and it came off as believable because it was shown that she is physically strong and knows self-defense at a very high level. After that incident however, she kept the same mindset (much like her aversion to seeing criminals die) in subsequent episodes when things were clearly out of her control and I got the notion that she might just be dumb and lucky. Here’s hoping later episodes prove me wrong.
Old 2012-11-20, 18:01   Link #246
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

So... She's a bad character for being consistent? Why would she suddenly grow a sense of personal safety out of nowhere? She never had it before. You don't just "learn" that.
Old 2012-11-20, 20:52   Link #247
mayumi

Come on her power is to neutralize the power users. What she did might be stupid but she could take it.
mayumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-20, 21:47   Link #248
andromeda0201

For me, it was more mind-boggling seeing Sakura's mum just gaping while watching her daughter take the full blow. Though, the fault might lie on the animation not making her looked a bit more horrified than she was supposed to?
Anyway, I enjoyed watching Yuuki's appearance, his lost form was definitely a bonus!
andromeda0201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 00:01   Link #249
Razdent

Quote:
So... She's a bad character for being consistent? Why would she suddenly grow a sense of personal safety out of nowhere? She never had it before. You don't just "learn" that.
Haha, well to be blunt, yes she's going to be a "bad character" if she stays consistent with this "total disregard for her own life" thing she has going on. At least to me anyway. I like seeing character growth and seeing them fleshed out. I don't really enjoy seeing characters play ideals to the best of their ability. Preservation, survival, adapting, etc is part of human nature so it's just kinda odd seeing her do everything the opposite. The code breakers were supposed to contrast her ideals/convictions and they even have their own reasons for doing what they do so it's weird seeing a "normal" girl behave just as erratic as they do. It just makes it hard for me to relate to any of the characters. Anyway, I suppose it's not really a big deal if it's just her that stays the same. At the very least, everything happened to work out for her.

Last edited by Razdent; 2012-11-21 at 00:30.
Old 2012-11-21, 14:41   Link #250
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I guess this is where we disagree. If she were to paralyze in fear or run away or something, to me, that would be acting out of character, rather than character development. Because character development doesn't happen instantly.
Old 2012-11-27, 06:46   Link #251
Aesthetic Shampoo

Wow, there have been some deviations from the manga til this point but now they finally just full on went anime original. Unfortunately, it was a boring episode with nothing even happening til the last few minutes. Though they did make me curious as to where they're taking the show with Toki's sister and all. And they kept going on about how Code:01 had changed but who is this prince and why was her manga character butchered?
Aesthetic Shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-27, 14:23   Link #252
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

The guy who looks like the Anguished One turned out to be a traitor.

Totally didn't see THAT one coming.
Old 2012-11-27, 14:39   Link #253
Razdent

Hmm yeah, I'm not really sure if I liked the direction they went in this episode. The changes up till now were tolerable but this one just didn't sit right with me. I wonder if they will go for a completely original end with no hope of a second season. Anyway, looks like there's more twists and turns waiting for us.
Old 2012-11-27, 16:09   Link #254
ookamigirl

Yuuki's lost form was pretty cute ^^
Sakurakouji really is a special girl.
Hitomi is a seriously dangerous guy seeking revenge.
So Sakura was adopted. The circumstances of her appearance were intriguing.
Hope she'll get some answers about her background soon.
Hitomi has his own plan and it has just begun..
Heike was acting very suspicious too. Seems like he switched sides.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 19:58   Link #255
Seihai
スマイリウム

Can't Sakura just beat them up and escape? Or heck, just escape? With the surprise that Heike is a traitor and that the PM is right in front of her, I don't think she'd ever consider that option to begin with, but... just theoretically speaking. The powers don't have any effect on her and Heike doesn't look like he's a good CQC fighter, plus Sakura's training might help her deal with #1.
Old 2012-12-01, 23:05   Link #256
Razdent

I would have agreed with that but I saw the 9th episode earlier. Yeah, Heike knows exactly how to counter anyone he fights.
Old 2012-12-05, 02:03   Link #257
OkamiNoKaze

So with Sakura being part of the Yakuza family, I wonder, does she have one of those massive tattoos on her back?
Old 2012-12-05, 23:04   Link #258
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Why dose Sakura have such a death wish she keep doing dumb things
Old 2012-12-06, 17:31   Link #259
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Dumb things that will inevitably help save the day.
Old 2012-12-07, 05:08   Link #260
Aesthetic Shampoo

I'm afraid this has almost reached the mangas level in stupidity.
Aesthetic Shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, shonen, supernatural