AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 24 (FINAL) Rating
Perfect 10 210 67.09%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 61 19.49%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 30 9.58%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 2.24%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.32%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.32%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.32%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.64%
Voters: 313. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-09-18, 19:22   Link #201
Princess_of_Hell
Being Felt Up My Skirt

Send a message via AIM to Princess_of_Hell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I really think the thing about the Haruhi dance had more to do with the fluidity of the animation than any special coolness of the moves. The L*S dance sequence is actually animated less well (especially the whole group shots) but the dance itself is a vivacious cheerleader friendly bunch of vavoom that I'd love to see my son's high school cheerleaders try I suspect it'll be quite popular at the cons for a while.
When will we be able to see this dance at the conventions? It looks more livelier and more fun than the Haruhi's ED dance. I rewatched that scene many times already.

FOR MY OPINION OF THE ENDING

Spoiler:
Old 2007-09-18, 19:26   Link #202
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_of_Hell View Post
When will we be able to see this dance at the conventions? It looks more livelier and more fun than the Haruhi's ED dance. I rewatched that scene many times already.
Oh, by latest next year. This year was devoted to hoards of Haruhis doing the SHnY dance over and over and friggin OVER. I did feel sorry for that one Haruhi who fell down on the stage while doing it though.
Old 2007-09-18, 20:13   Link #203
CandyVanMan
Part Time Hikikomori

I felt like I was saying goodbye to good friends. Considering I don't really associate with real people, I have to admit it hit a bit hard. The worst part was that I watched it during my lunch break at work. I've been in a bit of a funk for the remainder of the day.

I don't believe it ended to dry or too soon. This, to me, is a fine example of 'quitting while ahead'. And to top it off, it ended with grade A+ fan service.
Old 2007-09-18, 20:28   Link #204
Princess_of_Hell
Being Felt Up My Skirt

Send a message via AIM to Princess_of_Hell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claymore_Obsessed View Post
All tastes are tastes...
I love anime also because they usually end, sooner or later.

Yes, it might be sad at first, but think wisely.

What's better: having a finished masterpiece that will last forever in our hearts and souls as shiny as that day we saw it in its full splendour, or a endless show that at first runs, then walks, then painfully crawls struggling in vain to be as good as it once was? Sharks are hungry, and they don't really like jumpers...
(all references to actual shows aren't casual )
Endless shows are ok, if there is a story to it. The soaps have been going on for years and I mean years but there is a story and they don't re-run unless you watch it on SOAP NET.

When comparing anime (Kanon, Lucky Star) to cartoons (Simpsons), anime does seem to be more realistic whereas the Simpsons, there is no real need to wait until next week for the newest episode since there is no real story but simply so-called toilet humor with a "GROUNDHOG DAY" effect without the same place and events.
Old 2007-09-18, 21:13   Link #205
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claymore_Obsessed View Post
I completely agree.

I love both shows, too. Despite some common points, they are deeply different so it's no use trying to see which is the "better" ...
I'm not saying which one is better. I'm just saying that, due to the genre similarities (which they have, please don't try to deny it, even when they have different styles, they are of the same genre), Azumanga Daioh managed to provoke feelings on me that Lucky Star never managed to. The finale in AzuDai was deeply emotive, and very well carried out, however, in Lucky Star, I didn't feel a drop of emotion. Like I said, it may be because I'm not in high school anymore, but there is something to the AzuDai girls singing the typical Japanese high school anthem (can't remember its name), Chiyo-chan crying (though in a funny way), Osaka being Osaka, Tomo-chan annoying Yomi and Yomi replying back, and so, that made me feel strongly emotive towards the series. Not only I felt the whole of the series was perfectly carried out (I have many pickings about the way Lucky Star was delivered, for example, the thing I mentioned about not having a very coherent gag continuity), but I also felt something towards the characters.

In Lucky Star, I can't remember the name of half of the cast. I think that should be enough proof that, in my case, Lucky Star didn't reach such a high ground. Unfortunately, I have watched Azumanga Daioh, and even more unfortunately, I can't help drawing a comparison--they're both the same genre. But even without comparing them, the show still failed to appeal my emotions accordingly.

It doesn't mean it's bad. Actually, there aren't good shows or bad shows. There's shows I like, and there's shows I dislike. So it is for everyone else on this planet. I enjoyed Lucky Star, but not quite enough.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2007-09-18, 21:43   Link #206
X207
Gamyūsa

it was a good final episode, 2 alterations i would've liked, that they didnt show final practice of dance but the actual dance in the festival. basically delaying the dance for final scenes. 2nd alteration- no shiraishi kareoke maybe a rolling ending ie showing scenes from the show like an epiloge to music. i really didnt like the shiraishi endings. hope they dont do that for possible 2nd season
Old 2007-09-18, 21:45   Link #207
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
I'm not saying which one is better. I'm just saying that, due to the genre similarities (which they have, please don't try to deny it, even when they have different styles, they are of the same genre), Azumanga Daioh managed to provoke feelings on me that Lucky Star never managed to. The finale in AzuDai was deeply emotive, and very well carried out, however, in Lucky Star, I didn't feel a drop of emotion. Like I said, it may be because I'm not in high school anymore, but there is something to the AzuDai girls singing the typical Japanese high school anthem (can't remember its name), Chiyo-chan crying (though in a funny way), Osaka being Osaka, Tomo-chan annoying Yomi and Yomi replying back, and so, that made me feel strongly emotive towards the series. Not only I felt the whole of the series was perfectly carried out (I have many pickings about the way Lucky Star was delivered, for example, the thing I mentioned about not having a very coherent gag continuity), but I also felt something towards the characters
I have to agree that AD had a different emotional effect on me, but even though they're the same genre, these series set out to do different things.

The mood and atmosphere of AD made me feel like I was a quiet member of its group of friends. LS, on the other hand, makes me feel like I'm privileged to have an outside view of its very entertaining group of friends--much as though we were in Shiraishi's position. In fact, I'd almost go so far to say that Shiraishi ends up being an non-vicarious avatar of the viewer, whether it's intended that way or not.

Lucky Star is comfortable doing that, though. Soujirou is proof positive that it comes from the viewpoint that observance is a valid form of emotional gratification. AD is based on this concept, but took steps to make the viewer feel integrated. LS, of course, did no such thing.
Old 2007-09-18, 21:57   Link #208
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Lucky Star is comfortable doing that, though. Soujirou is proof positive that it comes from the viewpoint that observance is a valid form of emotional gratification. AD is based on this concept, but took steps to make the viewer feel integrated. LS, of course, did no such thing.
Perhaps, perhaps. I'm just expressing what I felt towards both series, mainly because the starting point for both is the same.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2007-09-18, 22:03   Link #209
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

There we go...this very last episode is the Lucky*Star I'm looking for and love. I didn't cry, and I'm pretty sorry I didn't - but where I am right now I can't afford to show that. Now can we multiply this one single episode's formula by 24 again?

This episode is also pretty tragic - it sent the series to an awesome high point, and now I'm going to need a lot to cool down. It's a high point because we have never seen ALL of the characters interacting with each other so closely. I haven't seen Minami so dynamically in the entire show (hell...she even commented on someone else!), and uh...when I said something about accepting a L*S 2 in a completely different creative direction, I mean by that entire Shiraishi/Akira scene, all the emotions and art direction. That captured what I really, really want.

The dream of L*S: this world needs more Konatas, Tsukasas, Kagamis, Miyukis, Yutakas, Minamis, Hiyoris, Pattys, Nanakos, Narumis, Sojirous, Kanatas, Shiraishis, and Akiras.
Old 2007-09-18, 22:13   Link #210
X207
Gamyūsa

ya, minami seems to break through her nagato facade much easier in ep24, she actually smiles like a normal character.
Old 2007-09-18, 22:16   Link #211
game2007

Has anyone ever thought that we might get another surprising additional special episode next week that is the real ending? I mean, the ending just went off like that without even closing words from the directors.

Probably not possible, but still...
Old 2007-09-18, 22:28   Link #212
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by game2007 View Post
Has anyone ever thought that we might get another surprising additional special episode next week that is the real ending? I mean, the ending just went off like that without even closing words from the directors.

Probably not possible, but still...
Sadly, no. The Japanese words that appeared as an overlay during the final scene was noting that the the timeslot next week would be filled by "Rental Magica".
Old 2007-09-18, 23:07   Link #213
BlazingSoul
Life is both joy/sorrow

Send a message via AIM to BlazingSoul
It's great but too bad it had to end. *sob*
Old 2007-09-19, 00:44   Link #214
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Finally got around to watching this episode. And yeah, I admit, it was quite saddening saying goodbye to those girls. Even more saddening than having two papers and an organic chem midterm. Oh wait...
Old 2007-09-19, 01:02   Link #215
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
I have to agree that AD had a different emotional effect on me, but even though they're the same genre, these series set out to do different things.

The mood and atmosphere of AD made me feel like I was a quiet member of its group of friends. LS, on the other hand, makes me feel like I'm privileged to have an outside view of its very entertaining group of friends--much as though we were in Shiraishi's position. In fact, I'd almost go so far to say that Shiraishi ends up being an non-vicarious avatar of the viewer, whether it's intended that way or not.

That's funny, it's exactly the reverse for me. AD made me feel like an outside observer of funny, and occasionally touching, people.

LS made me feel "I want to be there. I want a daughter like Konata. I want to see a show with Akira as anchor. I want to hang out with Yui. I want to tease Kagami... " and so on.
Old 2007-09-19, 01:29   Link #216
JPZ
Ninjin loves you, yeah!

i am sure gonna miiss this show
Old 2007-09-19, 03:30   Link #217
Mr-Kory

it was quite a good series but like most pepole i found the end of the episode a little disapointing then comes the shirashi song...its good enough to watch twice because after every four episodes i burn them to dvd and watch it with my mate and it doesnt get boring so i look forward to watching the last four episodes again. and congradulations lucky star you are the first anime to make me shed a trear in episode 22 when Kanata came to see them.
Old 2007-09-19, 08:32   Link #218
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
That's funny, it's exactly the reverse for me. AD made me feel like an outside observer of funny, and occasionally touching, people.

LS made me feel "I want to be there. I want a daughter like Konata. I want to see a show with Akira as anchor. I want to hang out with Yui. I want to tease Kagami... " and so on.
Aside from the difference of viewpoint of AD, my point was that there is a slight difference in a show that makes you say "I want to be there" versus feeling almost like you are. Lucky Star repeatedly made me feel like I wanted to be there, but it also didn't provide me with the illusion that I actually was. It's clear that if I were a part of that world, I'd just be another Sebastian.
Old 2007-09-19, 09:14   Link #219
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The L*S dance sequence is actually animated less well (especially the whole group shots) but the dance itself is a vivacious cheerleader friendly bunch of vavoom that I'd love to see my son's high school cheerleaders try
Oh, you would.

(Ok, fine, I would too. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
The dream of L*S: this world needs more Konatas, Tsukasas, Kagamis, Miyukis, Yutakas, Minamis, Hiyoris, Pattys, Nanakos, Narumis, Sojirous, Kanatas, Shiraishis, and Akiras.
Eh-to, maybe not Soujirou.
Or Shiraishi.

As far as I'm concerned, the Rakisuta-AzuDai comparison is merely a generation gap (which makes WanderingKnight the old fogey. ). I haven't actually watched AzuDai, so I have no intention of saying that either is better, myself.
Old 2007-09-19, 09:17   Link #220
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

did anyone notice that Yutaka was the the one to pant and breathe heavy then Hiyori then almost at the same time Kagami and Konata. Making Yutaka the one less stamina since she's sickly and Hiyori. Minami is the TANK she shows no signs of exhaustion at all. Though it was brief we can see the stamina levels of each of the girls. Better jot it down for power rank cards that iam planning to make.

And btw did they did it again? Since Tsukasa said the Chin**** word now Minoru said on the mic "Test Test" instead of mic test or it's just him testing the mic. That made me laugh rather than the Mino-run-run ringtone.