AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

View Poll Results: Hanasaku Iroha - Episode 20 Rating
Perfect 10 10 18.87%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 30.19%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 32.08%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 11.32%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 5.66%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.89%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-08-14, 14:00   Link #21
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by acjem View Post
Oh what is this. An actual good episode since the 2nd cour started? I have feeling this episode was actually written by Okada and the director who did all the "good episodes" because this one was much better quality then what we had for like 6 or so episodes straight.
Actually, Urahata Tatsuhiko wrote both this and the previous episode, not Okada. Not that it matters since she was the one who conceived this plot line. Your going to have to specify which director your talking about though ...

I personally liked this episode a lot, but I think a lot of how I just liked how Minko gradually developed through the series.

I thought that the episode itself was pretty good, if slightly uneventful, considering how easy the misunderstanding was to solve. Still, this was Minko's moment to sparkle and that she's done. I don't think I could've asked for more, other than giving her a good ending in the next month.

The thing though, at this point, I'm enjoying the show most for it's audio/visual side, but the writing had been ... yeah, I don't know if Okada has contract with PAWorks that makes her their first choice for the majority of their shows, but man does it hurt them.

Regardless, this was a very great episode. 9/10 from me.

Love saves us all!
Old 2011-08-14, 14:33   Link #22
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
Actually, Urahata Tatsuhiko wrote both this and the previous episode, not Okada. Not that it matters since she was the one who conceived this plot line. Your going to have to specify which director your talking about though ...

I personally liked this episode a lot, but I think a lot of how I just liked how Minko gradually developed through the series.

I thought that the episode itself was pretty good, if slightly uneventful, considering how easy the misunderstanding was to solve.
Easy?

Au contraire, mon ami!

Persuading Minko to change her mind on the omelette rice was a very delicate matter, involving good timing and everybody approaching Minko just the right way.

It required Nako asking for omelette rice (whether that was part of the plan or not), it required getting a thorough understanding of why Minko was so against including omelette rice on the menu, it required Ohana showcasing an alternative way of preparing omelette rice using the cooking materials available and which would be satisfactory to Minko (which involved quite a bit of taste testing, lol), and finally it required handling that all with considerable diplomacy and tact, never once seriously questioning Minko's authority.

I can't think of a better way for it all to have played out. Can you?

Quote:

The thing though, at this point, I'm enjoying the show most for it's audio/visual side, but the writing had been ...
Well, when it comes to consistency, the audio/visual side of Hanasaku Iroha is definitely its greatest strength, yeah.

From what I've seen so far, that appears to be completely top notch on a weekly basis. Admittedly, I can't say the same about the writing.

However, I do think that Episode 20 was wrote very well, and there's really not one thing I would have changed about it.
Old 2011-08-14, 15:17   Link #23
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

As if someone out there in PA works is trying to troll me they begin this episode with omelet rice, omelet rice, omelet rice!

I was quite a bit in despair for a while there, but the episode did pick itself up even it had to be omelet rice... Frankly this whole plot about the omelet rice was just stupid.

However, there was some nice development for Minko and that was good.

I'll give credit to PA works for managing to somehow make me warm up to her character, but that's simply because she mellowed down a lot over the series.

But unfortunately the preview seems to point out at ohana x tohru x minko love triangle taking the spot light with minko getting mad at ohana. Great. This plot line is going to be pretty stupid isn't it? Tohru is so worthless too.

HSI. Inconsistent enjoyment. Consistently good visuals. Consistently bad audio.

Episode gets an 8/10.

P.S. Omelet rice girl at least felt bad over her stupidity the other day. She got put her in place so I'm satisfied.
Old 2011-08-14, 15:31   Link #24
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Reference to True Tears. auto 10/10

so, finished the ep. i greatly enjoyed this ep. watching Minko struggling and ultimately resolving the situation was great. Also, Nako's interpretation by Mizuno was great. Scratches that second layer that many animes don't hit.

beautiful artwork, and funny situations just sealed the deal for this ep.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2011-08-14, 15:38   Link #25
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Probably the most decent arc I can remember from this anime.
Even if the entire thing was about... Omelet Rice... and a couple of random characters that suddenly appeared in this arc.

The two main highlights of this episode though were:
1. The Omelet girl and her boyfriend(-to-be?) and his ( ゚Д゚)ハッ...!! reaction when she was writing the words was so hilarious.

2. TT reference. Rather, it topped the actual story material. Uooooooooooohhhhh! Hiromiiiiiiiii!!!! Goddess!
(Noe: "Who was the heroine again...?")

To bad Enishi gets screentime next episode...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2011-08-14, 15:47   Link #26
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post

But unfortunately the preview seems to point out at ohana x tohru x minko love triangle taking the spot light with minko getting mad at ohana. Great. This plot line is going to be pretty stupid isn't it?
Really?

I thought Okada's last foray into a major PA Works produced love triangle narrative was rather good. How about you?

Quote:
HSI. Inconsistent enjoyment. Consistently good visuals. Consistently bad audio.
What do you dislike about the audio? Just curious.

Quote:

P.S. Omelet rice girl at least felt bad over her stupidity the other day. She got put her in place so I'm satisfied.
Yeah, that girl should be put in detention for wanting to do something nice and romantic for the guy that she has a crush on. Just think about how utterly ruined this massively important school event would be if she got to serve her crush omelette rice. And it is so patently obvious that none of her classmates agree with her omelette rice idea, so why doe she continually insist on it? What a horrible person she is! Yes, I'm so glad she was "put in her place". Who does that girl think she is, wanting to have fun at a school event of all things?

Last edited by Triple_R; 2011-08-14 at 15:57.
Old 2011-08-14, 15:51   Link #27
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
The two main highlights of this episode though were:
1. The Omelet girl and her boyfriend(-to-be?) and his ( ゚Д゚)ハッ...!! reaction when she was writing the words was so hilarious.
They're so a couple now.
Old 2011-08-14, 16:00   Link #28
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
"It's like I'm watching a teen drama" - I bet offscreen Yuina's complaining they don't pay her enough to be in this; though this is a moot point since she's taken enough drugs to numb the pain of being in this cast.

Oh no! Team Kissuo's completely fallen apart, with everyone bumbling around like morons and Minko's in charge! What must they do?

Well, I joked last episode that Minko would need some advice from Hiromi, since they obviously need a clutch shooter on their team asap. And hey look, have they been reading my posts? She makes a cameo! Also, we have what seems to be an Angel Beats cameo; surely Yuri and Kanade would save this ship too

Sadly, that cameo did not involve Hiromi slapping Minko for being a disgrace to the role , however her spirit was enough to make this episode of interest, even if the whole omeltte thing was corny as hell. I think the writers should eat lunch first before writing, since well, the main message I got was that someone was hungry.

Anyhow, Nako conveniently wants Omelet rice which somehow becomes a plot point. Ohana expects Minko to fail, so she comes to help, which drives Minko up the wall. But what's this? Minko has eggs ready. Maybe she eventually came to terms.

A shot of Minko's childhood showing her happy for once. Well, that's kind of interesting. Minko definitely has dedication but she needs to stop having tunnel vision. Meanwhile, Mizuno appears to be stalking Nako, or being obsessive. Damn, we needed a longer Nako arc FFS.

And Tooru shows up (gah!) and Minko finally does the immeasurably hard task. Shockingly, she actually succeeds instead of being humiliated by the show again.

1 minute left! 1 minute left! For the love of fuck don't fuck this up PA. Yes! They ended it with some beautiful scenery. Since their ability to do that >>>> their storytelling, it was a great move. This episode lands safely, and everyone leaves home happier with a decent meal in their stomachs.

9/10-- Not the most compelling of the stories, but they did what they had to do, and cashed in on whatever development they were aiming for. Moving on...

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-08-14, 16:26   Link #29
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
And Tooru shows up (gah!) and Minko finally does the immeasurably hard task. Shockingly, she actually succeeds instead of being humiliated by the show again.
Tohru thinking: Does this message mean what I think it means?

*Looks over at the happy loser at the other table*

Tohru thinking: Oh its not special treatment.

Also LOL at Ohana disgusted look about her giving the recipe was a bad idea.
Old 2011-08-14, 16:37   Link #30
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Nice to see everything work out in the end. Why did Tohru have to look over to check if it was the same. Nakochi's painting was nice.
Old 2011-08-14, 16:40   Link #31
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post

Yeah, that's my take too.

I actually feel a bit bad for Minko there. although I don't think she was "humiliated", per se (that might come next episode though ).

I guess Tohru was stunned by the idea that a highschool girl would have a crush on him, and hence wanted to eliminate any alternative possibility before accepting that his "Love Omelette" meant exactly that, lol.
Old 2011-08-14, 16:44   Link #32
FireChick

I did like this episode, but two things about it seriously annoyed the heck outta me.

1. WHY DID THEY HAVE TO MAKE SUCH A BIG DEAL ABOUT OMELET RICE?!? IT'S JUST A FOOD!!!

2. Oh, Minko. Are you EVER, even ONCE, going to appreciate Ohana's efforts? And to NOT yell at her every time she does something genuinely nice for you?!
Old 2011-08-14, 16:44   Link #33
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I guess Tohru was stunned by the idea that a highschool girl would have a crush on him, and hence wanted to eliminate any alternative possibility before accepting that his "Love Omelette" meant exactly that, lol.
Personally, I was afraid he'd think the "LOVE" came from Ohana, who did serve him. All in all, thinking it was meaningless was probably a lesser evil.
Old 2011-08-14, 17:15   Link #34
Sol Falling

Speaking of omurice, incidentally. Anybody else sorta grossed out the way they just squirted ketchup all over rice to start making it? Don't think I've ever heard of omelette rice outside of Japan, for one thing. But ketchup itself somewhat grosses me out, in general; and damn, do Japanese omurice recipes apparently use a lot of ketchup.
Old 2011-08-14, 17:16   Link #35
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:

Actually I wasn't even expecting anything regarding Tooru, but that she didn't create a scene that would make her look stupid (food poisoning etc)

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-08-14, 17:23   Link #36
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Speaking of omurice, incidentally. Anybody else sorta grossed out the way they just squirted ketchup all over rice to start making it?
I love ketchup, but ketchup and rice are two things I would not mix, lol.

So yeah, I winced a bit myself when I saw ketchup squirted directly on rice.
Old 2011-08-14, 17:29   Link #37
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Yeah, same. And that's just too much ketchup.
Old 2011-08-14, 17:30   Link #38
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Quote:

i found this to be hilarious, yet so sad for Minko

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2011-08-14, 17:32   Link #39
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I love ketchup, but ketchup and rice are two things I would not mix, lol.

So yeah, I winced a bit myself when I saw ketchup squirted directly on rice.
It's actually not that bad. Not that I would eat it regularly.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-08-14, 19:34   Link #40
marcosius
Anime Critic
*Author

I really think that the PV is trolling. But if it's real will be the best chapter ever. Also, I don't think that Enishi and Takako get married, maybe it's another invitation for Tohru, but "Love saves the world" is very ambiguous.

Last edited by marcosius; 2011-08-14 at 21:18.
Closed Thread