AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

View Poll Results: Gurren-Lagann - Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 23 27.06%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 29 34.12%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 24.71%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 9.41%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 2.35%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.18%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.18%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-07-31, 04:26   Link #61
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashiken View Post
I'm pretty sure Pre-Anti-Buster Nia had more influence than Yoko with the others (especially the men). With Nia by Simon's side, I'm pretty sure he could have managed leading them. Of course all these is thrown into the drain once Nia became the Anti-Nono Buster 7.
Yeah,she was good when it was necessary to rally the people around Simon.But she certainly wasn't the voice of common sense like Yoko was.

If Yoko was there,Rossiu would probably stay more rational then he is now.Without Simon the only way he can govern is through fear.And it's not going to last very long.

I guess Simon will probably escape,save the earth and reconcile with Rossiu.
Old 2007-07-31, 08:03   Link #62
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Evil Nia is pretty hot i actually prefer her now more than when she was happy go lucky

The real problem i have is Rossiu i didnt want to think that he was power hungry and all Nazi like but im seeing it more and more. I think something really bad is going to happen before he wakes up and realizes hes being a compete ass. He just better hope that Yoko doesnt come back and put a couple of rounds in his ass. Hes arresting Simoun because someone has to answer for what happen because this is politics ASS ASS ASS maybe he should be a part of Bushes adminstration. Im sorry but i feel that Rossiu has been warped by hs sense of duty. Trying to run a govornment by your self is not possible he has abandoned logic for what he feels is the best course of action. I know other dont feel this way about him but i predict we will see him fall from grace over the next 6 episodes. you think the rest of gang are going to blindly follow his orders?

My prediciton is Simon escapes flees teh city Rossiu takes over and declares like martial law or something and cracks down on everything with a iron fist.

Iv got some words for him Rossiu "Hey jack ass screw politics! politics is not going to stop the gaint piece of rock known as the moon from hitting the earth and wiping out humanity. Focus on that instead of being a douchy bag of a politician"
Old 2007-07-31, 09:41   Link #63
5_of_Spades

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashiken View Post
I'm pretty sure Pre-Anti-Buster Nia had more influence than Yoko with the others (especially the men). With Nia by Simon's side, I'm pretty sure he could have managed leading them. Of course all these is thrown into the drain once Nia became the Anti-Nono Buster 7.

She had, but more in a figure-head princess/cute mascot way, not in Yoko's "I'm your reasonable big sister" way.

Yoko would have pointed out to both Simon and Rossiu what they've done wrong, while Nia would only support Simon in all he does, smile at Rossiu, and make bentos.
Old 2007-07-31, 11:16   Link #64
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

It's so ironic that Rossiu is the one who was responsible for dragging people up to the surface and now that its activated the anti-spiral, he goes 'dammit, I'm arresting Simon' -_- Maybe next time a bad guy says 'mwahahah, if you ever have 1,000,000 people up on the surface, something bad will happen' before dying, Rossiu should pay attention

http://sining83.blogspot.com
Old 2007-07-31, 11:50   Link #65
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

That's because the little tit wanted them where he could see them. Friggin' control freak. Why he couldn't count them underground, we'll never know.
Old 2007-07-31, 12:56   Link #66
5_of_Spades

But was the anti system really activated by humans on the surface or human population in general? From the literal translation of the Spiral King's words, it seems to be the former, yet Rossiu's actions and Nia's words seem to imply the other. Even Sprial King implied later as his head form that he kept the Spiral beings under the surface to prevent advancement. Maybe it doesn't matter where the humans are, as long as their whole population reached the cap, the system activates.

Sigh, Rossiu really should have started a population control program, one child per household or something, to at least buy him some time for activating Lord Genome's head.

Going from tribal units to a big government in 7 years really lead to more problems than one. No matter how fast technology advances, people's mindsets and attitudes just can't keep up within such a sort period of time.
Old 2007-07-31, 17:29   Link #67
Ninjacat

Location: In the frozen wastes of the Province of Quebec, Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5_of_Spades View Post
Going from tribal units to a big government in 7 years really lead to more problems than one. No matter how fast technology advances, people's mindsets and attitudes just can't keep up within such a sort period of time.
I think that's the core of Simon's and Rossiu's problems, neighter really stopped and could understand what some of their choices would lead to. It's not a democracy; that government was basically formed by the Gurren-dan at the beginning and Simon ran it like his circle of buddies instead of looking for people with actual organisational skills.

Result: Rossiu took over more and more responsibilities, Simon giving powers away as his best friend requested because there was no eason to believe they'd ever be at odds. Up to the point where Rossiu BECAME the goverment, complete with his peronnal army of cronies, and Simon little more than a figurehead.

And all the people with actual combat experience behind desks answering stupid phones while untested rookies in untested machines are being vaporised by the dozen...
Old 2007-07-31, 17:37   Link #68
5_of_Spades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjacat View Post
Simon ran it like his circle of buddies instead of looking for people with actual organisational skills.
I think this really hits the core of the problem.
Old 2007-07-31, 18:37   Link #69
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

The problem is that Simon and the rest of the Gurrendan; other than Rossiu, seem more like the type to lead in times of war rather than peace.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
Old 2007-07-31, 19:36   Link #70
Ninjacat

Location: In the frozen wastes of the Province of Quebec, Canada.
Like General Patton, to give a real life example

You have to admit it; this show has the cojones to give a glimpse of what can happen after you save the world and get the girl. Most of the time the credits start rolling right after the last explosion... It's ironic Simon helped to build a world where he doesn't belong
Old 2007-07-31, 19:38   Link #71
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
That's because the little tit wanted them where he could see them. Friggin' control freak. Why he couldn't count them underground, we'll never know.
yep hes a control freak XD but they arent bad intentions...maybe not the smartest but he isnt hinting anything evil (i hope)

yep im late...but if anyone wants :3 Tell me the truth! ~ Gurren Lagann Episode 18

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-08-01, 06:49   Link #72
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
yep hes a control freak XD but they arent bad intentions...maybe not the smartest but he isnt hinting anything evil (i hope)

yep im late...but if anyone wants :3 Tell me the truth! ~ Gurren Lagann Episode 18
I dont think he has bad intentions from the begining. But remember even the best of intentions can have the worst results. I feel that the more he controls the more hes is going to want to control everything justifying as the good for everyone. At this point i am not ruling out Rossiu doing questionable things to get results
Old 2007-08-01, 08:16   Link #73
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

To be honest, I don't think Rossiu had ever forgotten Simon's words.

They probably have a conflict of thoughts and opinions, but I really think that Rossiu respects Simon beyond all that, and that is why he wants Simon to live up to his responsibility as who he is at least, even though Rossiu's the one who's really running everything. I don't see him as the type that would ever oust Simon from power simply for his own sake, and hopefully, next episode will prove that.

Rossiu may had changed, but I don't think he ever lost his spirit. Pure speculation though. If he pulls shit in the next episode, then my current opinion of him have to be negated 180 degrees.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2007-08-01, 11:47   Link #74
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I don't know. I find his insistence that Simon mustn't fight - ie, do what got him in power in the first place - pretty suspicious.

He's carefully stripped everybody but himself of power, and of their warrior status.

And it looks like Simon was useful to him only as long as he did was he was told.
Old 2007-08-01, 11:54   Link #75
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Evil Nia said that once she has turned into the Anti-Spiral she will never go back to being human. Does anyone know if the reason is physically her DNA or is it a mental issue? like why would I go back to being a human after i have gained this power?

What does everyone think about the chances of her actually turning back with the final remaining 6 episodes?
Old 2007-08-01, 12:21   Link #76
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Evil Nia said that once she has turned into the Anti-Spiral she will never go back to being human. Does anyone know if the reason is physically her DNA or is it a mental issue? like why would I go back to being a human after i have gained this power?

What does everyone think about the chances of her actually turning back with the final remaining 6 episodes?
We don't really know. Her DNA is physically Anti-Spiral but we don't know anything about her psyche other than this new personality being "asleep" within her from the beginning and that she still holds her old memories.
Old 2007-08-01, 13:23   Link #77
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I don't know. I find his insistence that Simon mustn't fight - ie, do what got him in power in the first place - pretty suspicious.

He's carefully stripped everybody but himself of power, and of their warrior status.

And it looks like Simon was useful to him only as long as he did was he was told.
he is the "lawful good" type imo...but his views are strictly what he thinks it is right for the situation ~ therefore he comes across as an inflexible idiot :x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post

i think Nia dying would have a better impact overall...(sad but true for me)

imo she is part "spiral being" and part "anti spiral" ~ she said so herself that she was human but now that her dormant anti spiral genes it is like an alternate personality taking over her body...while she doest have those memories she doesnt seem to care about them anymore...like what a robot would do you you programmed it to self destruct after a period of time...

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-08-01, 17:12   Link #78
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

I keep running into Japanese blogs that goes

ZOMG IT'S FATE/STAY NIGHT SAKURA PARODY LOL GTFOH

....Ok, not those exact words, but you get the idea.
And this is driving me nuts!

First of all, "Main heroine princess and love interest of the protagonist turing to the enemy side, changing personalities, and donning black skin-tight spandex and standing in the way of the heroes as enemy" is a direct parody of exact same situation in Nadia, made by none other than GAINAX themselves, 14 years prior to FSN.
If anything, FSN is the one that borrowed it from Gainax... not the other way around.

I wanna slam some sense and anime history education into these bloggers heads.
Old 2007-08-01, 17:40   Link #79
7Th
Mixtape

Huh... aohige, I'm pretty sure you're confusing the terms "parody" and "homage".
Old 2007-08-01, 18:24   Link #80
musashiken
ニア ☆ 命

I'm pretty sure it's more a parody than homage. I doubt Gainax intended Nia to be a homage to Nadia. Then again I have not watched Nadia so I can't comment. I always think that Nia is a homage to Nono since they both have cross shape irises and they both have the same voice actress.

And aohige, not everyone is privileged to watch such an old series like Nadia. At least I have not watched it. Futhermore FSN was making the "headlines" recently, so it is an easier example to use as comparison since most anime viewers now probably heard of Sakura but not Nadia. In fact I'm one of those "senseless" people who actually thought of Evil Sakura when I saw Nia's transformation.

Anyway I'm intrigued by Nadia, do you have any pics of her in her black spandex?
Closed Thread