AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Ouran Host Club

Notices

Old 2006-06-07, 17:23   Link #441
misakichii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srin Tuar

ep1:
Spoiler:
yep, i agree with that. well so far the anime is doing fairly well overall. it's a little too soon, since the latest episode is still only ep 10(raw) but still, i am expecting a good ending.
misakichii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-10, 02:18   Link #442
misakichii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin
I take it you haven't seen the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya?
so what is this suzumiya thing? is it another anime? is that anime and ouran high school host club like tsubasa and cardcaptor sakura or what?
Old 2006-06-10, 02:23   Link #443
Hanatori
Yarr.

It's a different series completely. There's just another Haruhi in there... coincidentally, these two are running at the same time, and both Haruhi's are main characters. ^^
Hanatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-12, 10:27   Link #444
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Haruhi Suzumiya is altogether another anime. Personally, I hated the first episode, and dropped it immediately. Its humor was lame, its story nonexistent: if this had a paper-thin plot, well, Suzumiya has NO plot at all (imo).
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-12, 10:29   Link #445
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

^ Bad move But whatever, to each his own.
Old 2006-06-12, 10:35   Link #446
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I definitely agree. I have quite a queer anime taste ... I watch Turn A Gundam, Queen Millennia, and Haruhi S. just falls flat in my list of worthwhile anime. I guess although a lot of people fawn over Haruhi S., it's okay. But I seriously am pissed at the lack of plot in the first episode. Sesame Street could entice me more to watch it than that POS, imo, of course.

Ouran's better for me because although it also has a paper-thin plot, it's still worthwhile - at least it has one, IMO.
Old 2006-06-12, 10:43   Link #447
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Have you actually seen any other Suzumiya episode?

By the way, the episodes are shuffled, their sequence is not chronologically correct. But, while I kinda liked the first episode, most people didn't find it good, but watched the second one cause the ED animation was good Oh well, needless to say, Suzumiya is considered total success

Not that I care if you watch Suzumiya or not I'm just saying that you should at least give another episode a try before ditching it.

Not that you can be too sure even then. I mean, take Fate/Stay Night for example. The first half episode in most people's opinion ranged from decent to excellent (ep 14 is still the best episode of Fate), and suddenly the next half's quality dropped 6 ft under, with episodes ranging from decent to crap, with one or two good ones along the way. The animation suffered, the plot holes were humongous, the character development was weak most of the time. You can't be too sure
Old 2006-06-12, 12:39   Link #448
Zappster

I'd agree with npal tbh. I thought the first episode of Haruhi S. was really good. It doesn't have a plot and I can see why some people might not like it. But I thought it was really quite funny and unique. I've never seen an episode like that in an anime before(feel free to correct me with some examples as there might be some that I'm not aware of). I loved all the little touches in the episode, the sort of stuff that Kyon's commenting on, all the "mistakes" that can be picked up on. A lot of it was laughing at how purposely bad the movie was which is where the mistakes come into it. It worked for me in that I wanted to watch more of the series to find out what the hell was going on. There's definitely a plot. It's just not readily apparent in the first episode.

I'm actually surprised you didn't like it physics223 and I know you have some interesting tastes in anime but oddly enough quite similar to alot of the stuff I like e.g. Rozen Maiden, as there's quite a bit of stuff to discuss from the anime perspective at least. Stuff that I'd have thought someone like you might have lapped up.

To bring this back on topic(or what the topic was previously), I'd say the reason why there isn't much discussion on Ohran is that IMO there's usually not a lot to discuss apart from how funny the episode is. Not that this is a bad thing, as I'd liken it to School Rumble in that respect, which is one of my favourite series'.
Zappster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-12, 16:19   Link #449
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappster
I'd agree with npal tbh. I thought the first episode of Haruhi S. was really good. It doesn't have a plot and I can see why some people might not like it. But I thought it was really quite funny and unique. I've never seen an episode like that in an anime before(feel free to correct me with some examples as there might be some that I'm not aware of). I loved all the little touches in the episode, the sort of stuff that Kyon's commenting on, all the "mistakes" that can be picked up on. A lot of it was laughing at how purposely bad the movie was which is where the mistakes come into it. It worked for me in that I wanted to watch more of the series to find out what the hell was going on. There's definitely a plot. It's just not readily apparent in the first episode.

I'm actually surprised you didn't like it physics223 and I know you have some interesting tastes in anime but oddly enough quite similar to alot of the stuff I like e.g. Rozen Maiden, as there's quite a bit of stuff to discuss from the anime perspective at least. Stuff that I'd have thought someone like you might have lapped up.

To bring this back on topic(or what the topic was previously), I'd say the reason why there isn't much discussion on Ohran is that IMO there's usually not a lot to discuss apart from how funny the episode is. Not that this is a bad thing, as I'd liken it to School Rumble in that respect, which is one of my favourite series'.

With regards to Suzumiya Haruhi ep 1 (or 00), the first time I watched it (raw), it was rather confusing, quite interesting and funny at points. It became clear early on that it was done as a "cheap movie". However, I can't say I was that impressed. However, I then watched ep 2 (ie the start of the real story) and late re-watched ep 1 - the 2nd time, I was MUCH more impressed. By understanding the characters and situation some more, it was easier to enjoy it - and be impressed by all the little extra bits they added to make it realistic (in context). Major kudos to KyoAni for the huge effort to make something "ugly" yet at the same time, brilliant.

Anyway... Not that anyone was really saying so, but I certainly think that statements like "you must/cannot like XYZ" are wrong, for something like a TV series (or novel, or manga). ie, you can't help liking or disliking something (or some character or story). The legitimate thing to have arguments about is explanations on why you like/dislike something.
kari-no-sugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-12, 17:58   Link #450
Jinsoo
KAGEYAMA!!!
*Artist

Send a message via AIM to Jinsoo Send a message via MSN to Jinsoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223
Haruhi Suzumiya is altogether another anime. Personally, I hated the first episode, and dropped it immediately. Its humor was lame, its story nonexistent: if this had a paper-thin plot, well, Suzumiya has NO plot at all (imo).
Agreed. I can't see how a lot of people LOVED the 1st ep. It was utterly confusing and stupid. My friend told me to keep on watching it even though I refused. But against my will, I still watched it. Up to episode 7 >_<; I can't say that I loved it. It doesn't really appeal to me and isn't my type of anime. The trick is to MoSH is to get passed the 1st episode. But afterwards, it's still hard to start liking it in the 1st 6 episodes >_>; It doesn't even go in chronological order either. And I know MoSH was adapted from a novel, but Kyon's constant narration gets on my nerves. Watching MoSH gives me a headache. And they need to stop exposing Mikuru >_>; But whatever, I dropped that anime. At my school, there are only 4 people that've watched MoSH, and that's including me. My friend is the only one that likes it lol So it looks like the tables have turned for him >.> (I'm usually the one that's out-numbered when it comes to my dislike of MoSH D: )

But yeah, Ouran is a fun anime. It's something to watch when you're bored and you're in need for a good laugh :] And if you're into that shounen ai thing, YEY ;p Only reason why I think somebody would hate Ouran is because of the slight shounen ai. But still dood, it's just there for kicks ;p And maybe because of it's lack of originality. The whole disgusing as the opposite sex thing's been done a lot in manga. But that's the point, it hasn't been done a lot in anime So yeah.

But it kinda makes me wonder why Ouran was turned into an anime when other manga of its genre could be better :X
Jinsoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-12, 18:35   Link #451
Hanatori
Yarr.

Eh. Maybe humor that involves some further thinking isn't right for you then. Ouran's more of a spontaneous thing, I think. The jokes fly by again and again. For Yuutsu... I think it's more humor for the plot and its many parodies than anything else. It's the characters' quirks that make up the humor, not jokes themselves. :P
Old 2006-06-12, 19:05   Link #452
Jinsoo
KAGEYAMA!!!
*Artist

Meh, I don't really like the characters in MoSH either. So it's really not a series made for me :3 I like teenaged drama with humor and sappy love stories slapped in. Something that'll move me to tears at the end. I'm not really into that sci-fi jazz either. Sure, the animation in MoSH is pretty top notch, but that's all I really find appealing about it >_< Shoot me for being different, kay?
Old 2006-06-12, 21:48   Link #453
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I hate to interrupt, but did anyone notice the title of this thread? Yup, it is for discussion of Ohran Host Club. Please restrict discussion of Melacholy of Haruhi Suzumiya to the correct place. It's got its own darn forum, so I'm sure that it doesn't need to co-opt this forum also.

Thank you for staying on topic.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-13, 00:50   Link #454
misakichii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanatori
It's a different series completely. There's just another Haruhi in there... coincidentally, these two are running at the same time, and both Haruhi's are main characters. ^^
okay....so the only thing these two anime have in common is that both the main characters are name haruhi? so only the name's the same? nothing else? then why is everyone comparing them? i just don't get. that's just dumb.
Old 2006-06-13, 15:24   Link #455
Jinsoo
KAGEYAMA!!!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by misakichii
okay....so the only thing these two anime have in common is that both the main characters are name haruhi? so only the name's the same? nothing else? then why is everyone comparing them? i just don't get. that's just dumb.
Yeah kinda is. People are all like "Ouran Haruhi is better!" and other people are like "NO MOSH HARUHI IS!!!" then it goes on and branches out to "OURAN IS STUPID!" "NO! MOSH IS!" then basically it's a war between Haruhis D: But it's stupid cos the shows are totally different. There really isn't much to compare between the two other than Haruhi.
Old 2006-06-13, 16:10   Link #456
Hanatori
Yarr.

It is quite unnecessary. Well, I can say for myself that Ouran's a great pick-me-up after school and studies and stress. I find myself laughing in every single episode, which is really great.

Eh? Weren't we talking about Ouran too? We can't compare stuff? o_o
Old 2006-06-14, 03:28   Link #457
uzumaki

Iiiii saw the first episode of this show...and found it...mildy entertaining, I guess. Objections: In the first episode, the 'popular girl plays a prank/tries to humiliate the unpopular yet a hit with the boys girl' has been done too many times, and some of the boys were kind of annoying like the creepy little blond kid-thing. Oh yeah, that, and I found it really weird that the main character didn't even flinch or get surprised at being thought a boy for so long.

Does it get better? Because I have nothing else to watch. (saw 3 eps of MOSH and thought it meh-y. But I liked the lightning beam attacks)
uzumaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-14, 05:36   Link #458
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Better watch Black Lagoon, uzumaki, IMO. And as always, continue Ouran-ing!

Episode eleven's bound to be great - AND ... NEKOZAWA!!!
Old 2006-06-14, 18:15   Link #459
Jinsoo
KAGEYAMA!!!
*Artist

1st 2 eps of Ouran are kinda slow, but bare with it. It gets funnier afterwards :3
Old 2006-06-17, 11:20   Link #460
Erroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinsoo
1st 2 eps of Ouran are kinda slow, but bare with it. It gets funnier afterwards :3
I've been LMAO since ep. 1. It didn't take anytime for the humor to kick in for me. The arrow pointing blantantly at the vase and the lightbulbs are just two of the many things that drew me in during the first ep.
Erroll is offline   Reply With Quote